Moderators: dms269, HMFFL, Jamaaliver

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,779

1500 WNBA Season Tickets Already Sold 

Post#1 » by HMFFL » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:05 pm

Atlanta's WNBA franchise taking shape

n the three months since Atlanta was awarded a WNBA expansion team, the fledgling franchise has moved into a downtown office building, hired senior staff and sold almost 1,500 season tickets.

"It's amazing how much we've gotten done, and it's amazing how much we have left to get done," Bill Bolen, the team's president and chief operating officer, said Tuesday.

Down the hall from his undecorated office in a building a few blocks from Philips Arena, salespeople are on the phone, drumming up season-ticket business. One floor below, general manager and head coach Marynell Meadors is in her office, preparing for her third start-up team in the 11-year-old league.

Among the team's front-office hires, Bolen said, are two former Atlanta Falcons staffers as vice president/ticket sales and director of community relations.

But four months from its first game
writeous
Senior
And1: 0

Post#2 » by writeous » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:45 pm

wow I forgot we were getting a WNBA team.
conleyorbust
Lead Assistant

Post#3 » by conleyorbust » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:53 pm

Anyone here have their season tickets yet?!?!
evildallas
General Manager

Post#4 » by evildallas » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:21 pm

No WNBA for me and given the ticket prices, I'm a bit shocked that they have 1500 sold so far unless that's a lot of the $9 and $18 seats.

Link
Going to donkey punch a leprechaun!
smabie
Sophomore

Post#5 » by smabie » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:50 pm

If they were playing in Gwinnett Arena, I'd buy tickets. But not for Phillips. Maybe a couple individual games, but not for a full schedule.
JoshB914
Head Coach
And1: 2

Post#6 » by JoshB914 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:58 pm

If you thought the Hawks offense was bad wait until you watch a WNBA game.
smabie
Sophomore

Post#7 » by smabie » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:23 pm

I do watch the WNBA. Was happy we got a franchise. Was not happy it's playing at Phillips.

Gwinnett's capacity is closer to WNBA attendance numbers, and is closer to the floor. Gwinnett has free parking. Gwinnett is more central to the population more likely to be willing/interested in going to WNBA games. For things such as minor league baseball, minor league hockey, and minor league -- rather Arena League -- football, Gwinnett is a much better fit than Downtown. Heck, the Force are proof: even with slightly lower numbers due to capacity differences, the cost differential and higher-percentage-capacity make playing in Gwinnett much more optimal.

If you thought Phillips looks empty for Hawks games... try the WNBA and it's even earlier start times.
reazun
Pro Prospect
And1: 140

Post#8 » by reazun » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:38 pm

the dream, sizzle, and surge are the three stupidest names I have ever heard for a sports team. The dream sounds like a diss, I can picture all the analysts saying stuff like, "they must be dreaming if they want to make the playoffs." surge is a soft drink. I thought flight was the best one. But I guess sizzle aint that bad for a gilrls team. Hopefully they go with "sizzle." anyone ever watch a atlanta crunk game. I heard they signed the professor from and1
evildallas
General Manager

Post#9 » by evildallas » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:42 pm

I think they should have keep with the bird motif that the football, hockey, and basketball teams have. I also agree that Gwinnett would have been a better venue for the WNBA. Although Gwinnett is inconvenient for me, I doubt I'm the target market.
Going to donkey punch a leprechaun!
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#10 » by HMFFL » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:39 pm

smabie wrote:If they were playing in Gwinnett Arena, I'd buy tickets. But not for Phillips. Maybe a couple individual games, but not for a full schedule.

I also watch the WNBA and I bet on the games. The Gwinnett Arena would have been a great place for them and the fans would have benefit from the free parking.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#11 » by Devilzsidewalk » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:01 am

evildallas wrote:No WNBA for me and given the ticket prices, I'm a bit shocked that they have 1500 sold so far unless that's a lot of the $9 and $18 seats.

Link

is that for real, those prices are ridiculous. No seat in the arena should be more than 40 bucks.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#12 » by HMFFL » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:24 am

Devilzsidewalk wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

is that for real, those prices are ridiculous. No seat in the arena should be more than 40 bucks.

I just clicked the link myself and I'm surprised by these prices. I can't see myself paying them or attending any of the games if they are going to be this high. I'm taking into account parking prices, food and gas also.

I'd spend my money on the rest of the Atlanta teams before paying those prices to see the WNBA. Oh well, that's what tv is for.
DeShaunRed
Pro Prospect

Post#13 » by DeShaunRed » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:00 am

reazun wrote:the dream, sizzle, and surge are the three stupidest names I have ever heard for a sports team. The dream sounds like a diss, I can picture all the analysts saying stuff like, "they must be dreaming if they want to make the playoffs." surge is a soft drink. I thought flight was the best one. But I guess sizzle aint that bad for a gilrls team. Hopefully they go with "sizzle." anyone ever watch a atlanta crunk game. I heard they signed the professor from and1

They should have included the nick Swallows.

Return to Atlanta Hawks