ImageImage

Patrick O'Bryant

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

geeman
Senior
And1: 3

Patrick O'Bryant 

Post#1 » by geeman » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:43 pm

Question? This guy was a top 10 pick. I seen him play briefly in college, but have not seen him since. He's a fa next year and GS has givin up on him. If you've seen him play, is he that bad... bust or in the wrong system and could he fit here as a big body off the bench?
niffoc4
Rookie
And1: 16

Post#2 » by niffoc4 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:01 am

I think signing O'Bryant would almost make up for the lack of a draft pick. He's still young, and he still has potential... if we could deal Zaza this year, and let Wright go I wouldn't mind having him compete with Jones to backup Horford. If it was more expensive than 2 years 6 million I would probably say no thanks... but if he can turn things around like Diop did, he could be a great addition.
jeremy1215
Banned User
And1: 4

Post#3 » by jeremy1215 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:05 am

I think he needs time to develop and he is more suited for a half court set than nellie ball. You guys should sign him for about the same as a rookie contract and start him next to Horford. It would be a pretty good young front court.
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 1,495

Post#4 » by dms269 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:12 am

Start him next to Horford? If he can't even make the warriors roster I'm not sure if I want to go ahead and start him next to Horford and have to play him over Smith.
The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24
raleigh
Head Coach
And1: 512

Post#5 » by raleigh » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:23 am

He was a reach at the time of the draft, and so far has done less than S. Jones on the NBA level.

Pass.
M301E814W404
Junior
And1: 0

Post#6 » by M301E814W404 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:05 pm

I agree...he had a great tourney. He is a bit lanky but if he can fill out (I haven't watch him in a while so he may have already) and works on his game he sure does have the size to be a force in the league. Definitely a bit raw to come out but he jumped at his chance to be a top 10 pick and you can't blame him for that. He was basically that years Wally Szerbiak.
JeffJordan
Junior

Post#7 » by JeffJordan » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:21 am

I live in Oakland and see O'Bryant play quite a bit (even some practices) and he is a real project... probably not the best player for Atlanta. He is also not a Nellie type of player, so you guys can probably get him for cheap. The gamble might pay off as he has some very solid raw skills.
evildallas
General Manager

Post#8 » by evildallas » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:41 am

Don't assume a guy sucks just because he isn't getting PT. Some times coaches and players don't get along and some times it takes a while for a guy to hit his stride. The keys are not to overpay projects, get a good feel for the guy's heart and drive, and make honest appraisals of the guy's skill set.

Don't expect O'Bryant to be on our off season shopping list. BK doesn't think much of him or he would have been a logical pick over Shelden Williams (who isn't getting any PT either). Look for us to draft Chris Marcus in the 2nd round as a project big rather than pay POB. It's the lowest dollar gamble.
Going to donkey punch a leprechaun!
raleigh
Head Coach
And1: 512

Post#9 » by raleigh » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:03 am

Don't assume a guy sucks just because he isn't getting PT.

Don't assume a guy doesn't suck just because he isn't getting PT.

Again, this guy is SUPER raw, and has proven less than Solomon Jones. This is yet another example of "Hawks' fans undervalue their own team's players."
evildallas
General Manager

Post#10 » by evildallas » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:33 am

mrhonline wrote:
Don't assume a guy sucks just because he isn't getting PT.

Don't assume a guy doesn't suck just because he isn't getting PT.

Again, this guy is SUPER raw, and has proven less than Solomon Jones. This is yet another example of "Hawks' fans undervalue their own team's players."

First of all some of our players deserve to be undervalued!!! However that isn't what I was doing. My post wasn't even advocating POB. We have 3 young players not getting any PT whatsoever and that includes Solomon Jones (Shelden and Salim are the other 2 although Mario isn't getting much PT either). My post was defending their value as much as anything.

The rest of my post was a simple point that POB isn't on BK's shopping list unless he's really changed his mind in the last 2 years and there has been nothing out of POB to do that. If he thought much of POB then the 7 footer would have been the logical pick over Shelden Williams given team needs and what BK was hoping that Shelden would provide the team. Bottom line is he didn't draft POB. While anyone can say that Shelden wasn't a good pick, there hasn't been any indication that POB would have been better.
Rip2137
Analyst
And1: 228

Post#11 » by Rip2137 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:31 am

He has a strong back to the basket game.

Thats...about...it.

He can't play defense, he can't really rebound...he can score with his back to the basket.

I mean, if he is cheap, why not? Nice roster filler. I wouldn't give him 2 mill per year though.
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,083

Post#12 » by Twinkie defense » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:11 pm

Patrick O'Bryant will be an unrestricted FA this summer, so if the Hawks want him they can pick him up "for nothing" then. You might even be able to bring him in on a non-guaranteed training camp invite.

And at this point I would certainly think any contract offered to Patrick to be somewhere between the lower level exception and one-half of the mid-level exception.

Patrick has some intriguing aspects to him... mostly, he's very long and athletic looking. He "looks" like what a good big man might look like. Don Nelson says he thinks Patrick will become a player in the League, but lets face it: Nellie has very specific things he looks for in his players, and that goes doubly for big men and young guys.

Patrick was drafted to play for Mike Montgomery, but is just not a good fit with Nellie. (I've thought the best places for him might be Cleveland and Miami, where they run a slower pace and already have starting-caliber big-men in place).

Interestingly, Patrick (picked as a project big man) was supposed to be much farther along on the defensive side than on offense... but that may have turned out to be just the opposite. He's got a pretty good mid-range jumper, and a decent hook shot.

He's still raw, of course. And I think part of his downfall in Oakland have been mental and effort lapses - and while I blame Patrick for these, many GS posters blame Nellie, and are just waiting for Patrick to have his big breakout somewhere else.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#13 » by Mylie10 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:53 am

jrhester wrote:Patrick O'Bryant will be an unrestricted FA this summer, so if the Hawks want him they can pick him up "for nothing" then. You might even be able to bring him in on a non-guaranteed training camp invite.

And at this point I would certainly think any contract offered to Patrick to be somewhere between the lower level exception and one-half of the mid-level exception.

Patrick has some intriguing aspects to him... mostly, he's very long and athletic looking. He "looks" like what a good big man might look like. Don Nelson says he thinks Patrick will become a player in the League, but lets face it: Nellie has very specific things he looks for in his players, and that goes doubly for big men and young guys.

Patrick was drafted to play for Mike Montgomery, but is just not a good fit with Nellie. (I've thought the best places for him might be Cleveland and Miami, where they run a slower pace and already have starting-caliber big-men in place).

Interestingly, Patrick (picked as a project big man) was supposed to be much farther along on the defensive side than on offense... but that may have turned out to be just the opposite. He's got a pretty good mid-range jumper, and a decent hook shot.

He's still raw, of course. And I think part of his downfall in Oakland have been mental and effort lapses - and while I blame Patrick for these, many GS posters blame Nellie, and are just waiting for Patrick to have his big breakout somewhere else.

I kind of wish you'd post this at the Warriors board. This is the most thoughtful post i've ever read from you regarding O'Bryant.

Just so you know Hawks fans, Hester is not an O'Bryant fan. This post is dead on.

Someone will get lucky with this kid once he toughens up. He just needs confidence.

You're either in or out with Nellie there's no middle ground.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
evildallas
General Manager

Post#14 » by evildallas » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:17 am

If we change our coaching staff, then I'd have no trouble making a reasonable offer to O'Bryant in the off-season. However, I wouldn't expect our current staff to be able to move O'Bryant in the right direction.
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 1,495

Post#15 » by dms269 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:03 pm

I really don't want to bring in another big man, unless we can ship zaza off. We really don't have minutes to give to a big man, and guys developing need minutes to learn and produce.
The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,018

Post#16 » by HMFFL » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:31 pm

For me, as much as I like Patrick, want nothing to do with two projects on his team. Now, if we want to be viewed as a rebuiling team sure, but Solomon Jones is a big enough project already.

Return to Atlanta Hawks