ImageImage

Nocioni?

Moderators: dms269, HMFFL, Jamaaliver

evildallas
General Manager
And1: 0

Nocioni? 

Post#1 » by evildallas » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:12 pm

After reading the trade rumor that has Chicago shopping Nocioni to NJ. I was struck with a couple questions . . .

Does Nocioni's 3 pt shooting and D make him an upgrade to Childress?
My answer: Well different and more to what we need right now. He also brings some playoff game experience, confidence, and the ability to really annoy the opponent. For you stat people, Childress has a higher PER, but Nocioni has better per 36 minute numbers (seems contradictory to me).

Is Nocioni's contract really that bad (it's front loaded)?
My answer: Not too bad. After this year he has 4 years guaranteed at 8, 7.5, 6.85 and 6.65. 4yrs/29M is in line with what it would cost to keep Chill.

Surely we can put together a better offer than Marcus Williams + expirings, do we want to?
My answer: Well BYC math is a pain, but I found a couple of trades that worked out in the checker.

Nocioni (4yr 29M) SF
Duhon (expiring) PG
Khryapa (salary filler, expiring)

for

scenario 1:
Zaza Pachulia (1yr 4M)
Josh Childress (expiring SF/SG)
Ty Lue (expiring PG)
Solomon Jones (sadly Salim didn't make the math work)

scenario 2:
Josh Childress (expiring SF/SG)
Ty Lue (expiring PG)
Shelden Williams (rookie deal)
Salim (expiring G)
Solomon Jones

Actually, this deal also works under the cap, but I don't think Chicago would do it. Be nice if they did.
link here

In either situation, the only commitment Chicago has after this year is 1 year of a big. They can choose to resign Childress or use him in a S&T in the off season or let him go for cap savings. It gives them a do-over on Nocioni's deal and still leaves them with a desirable asset to move (unlike the rumored NJ deal).

For Atlanta, I see the switch of Childress to Nocioni as explained above. Also we pick up Duhon as a pass first PG with experience who can actually play decent D replacing Lue. The big we part with isn't playing much for us and frees up just a little cap space next year. The rest of the deal is really just dealing with the BYC math. I didn't want to give up Solomon, but he makes the deal work math-wise when I couldn't find another combo that would.

For reference the rumor with NJ was (I added the guys needed to make the trade work in the checker)
Nocioni
Thabo
Khryapa (to make math work)
for
Marcus Williams (rookie deal PG)
Antoine Wright (expiring SF)
Nachbar (expiring SF)
Magloire (expiring C)
Armstrong (to make math work)
Malik Allen (to make math work)
Going to donkey punch a leprechaun!
Venables
Sophomore

Post#2 » by Venables » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:49 pm

While Nocioni is a good player, he is one of those NBA players I have never liked (to tell you the truth, it seems EVERY Argentinian makes the list).

In fact, Ive noticed that Joe, Marv and Smoove all talk more **** to Nocioni than they do with most players (if you remember our last 2 Bulls games, both had this happen). He just seems like a bad fit.

On a side note... Smoove's best block of the season was on that guy. That was just nasty.
evildallas
General Manager

Post#3 » by evildallas » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:52 pm

I suspect that Nocioni gets under the skin of all opponents and opposing fans. I think if he was on our team fighting for us instead of against us that the rest of the team and the fans would warm to him.
Going to donkey punch a leprechaun!

Return to Atlanta Hawks