ImageImage

Point guard options

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

conleyorbust
Lead Assistant
And1: 0

Point guard options 

Post#1 » by conleyorbust » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:03 pm

Who is out there and realistically available for the Hawks - I doubt Damon Stoudamire or Cassell want to come here.

Upgrades I was thinking we could get:

Dre' Miller
Chris Duhon
Carlos Arroyo
Kyle Lowry
Ridnour/Watson
Rodriguez/Jack
Udrih

Miller has been discussed but it seems his name has fallen out of most trade discussions. Duhon is having a bad season but he is a decent passer/shooter/defender. Arroyo has stalled but would be a massive upgrade. Lowry would be a upgrade and has a lot of promise but might be hard to acquire. One of the Seattle guys could be acquired for expirings, but do we want to take them on for the money they make? Portland is gonna have to find a way to clear some spots, Sergio has promise but might not be good enough yet and Jack has become a shooting guard. Udrih has really raised his value, the Kings might decide to make him their future.

What do we have to trade? Salim, Zaza, Lue/AJ/Zaza, and possible Childress. Which of these guys would it be worth it to acquire? I'd hope for Lowry or Duhon. I've come to a point where I wouldn't be averse to moving Chil and expirings for Dre' Miller.

What do you guys think?
evildallas
General Manager

Post#2 » by evildallas » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:36 pm

I don't think Udrih or Rodriguez/Jack are available right now. Although Udrih is unrestricted in the off season. Kyle Lowry is probably only available as part of a larger deal that would be very costly.

Not sure about Arroyo's availability or really him as a player.

Watson/Ridnour and Dre Miller require salary commitment in future years. I'm a bigger fan of Watson because of his defense reputation over Ridnour.

Duhon is expiring, but is also not having a good season. Situation could be a lot of that. The problem with helping Chicago in a trade is that they are one of the teams we must best to get a playoff spot. Any trade with them has a greater backfire potential.

I've posted trades to get either Duhon or Watson recently. Actually I also posted a 3 way Philadelphia scenario for Miller. The problem with that one was it would take us up to the luxury tax to retain Josh Smith.

The Watson deal is cheaper player wise, but requires the commitment to Watson's contract (2 yrs 12.8M). I think we could get Watson and Petro for expiring contracts which is what Seattle would desire (Wright/Lue).

I think there were 2 ways to get Chris Duhon. One would be part of a larger deal giving Chicago a do over on Nocioni's contract:
Noc/Duhon/Khryapa/Gray for Childress/Pachulia/Lue/Salim. The other was be Duhon/Khryapa/Griffin/Gray for Pachulia/Lue/Salim. Notice the past tense. I think it is too late for them to be willing to take on the contract for next year. If we had offered them a big earlier in the season we could have had a deal. Now I think they are starting to look big picture.

The Seattle deal is the most straight forward (they might include a #2 pick in the deal as they have several stockpiled). It gets a PG and size for expirings. We do that and we try to ship Zaza or Shelden to Orlando for Pat Garrity and a #2 pick. That would give us a 3 pt shooter for specialty situations and some cap relief next year. The 2nd round picks could feel valuable roles cheaply next season.

That's what I'd try to do.
Going to donkey punch a leprechaun!
HoopsGuru25
General Manager
And1: 3

Post#3 » by HoopsGuru25 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:40 pm

I'm not interested in backup caliber pgs like Watson and Duhon. I want to get Andre Miller or start Acie Law.
Rip2137
Analyst
And1: 228

Post#4 » by Rip2137 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:41 pm

Carlos Arroyo is horrible. I would rather have Acie out their. Acie will make rookie mistakes. Arroryo is worse defensively and will try to throw a behind the back off his foot bounce pass between a opponents legs instead of taking a sure layup and end up benched anyway.

I love Kyle Lowery, but with them getting rid of Damon they are probably going to hang on to him and let he and Conley be the one two punch at the point for the team.

I like Chris Duhon, Earl Watson thinks he is alot better than he actually is, but he is still a decent point. Luke is Dan Dikau without the injuries. That is a good thing by the way. I think he could be solid but he is horrid defensively.

You ain't getting Sergio. Thats just not going to happen. Maybe Jack(okay...you can definately get jack), but that would be the offeseason before that happened. They aren't gonna trade him until after this playoff run.

Not gonna get Beno either. He is probably going to be the Kings starting point guard of the future once they manage to get rid of Bibby.

I would like to see the Hawks give John Lucas III a look. I BELIEVE he is a free agent. I also like Travis Diener in Indiana.
conleyorbust
Lead Assistant

Post#5 » by conleyorbust » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:52 pm

The reason I put those guys up there is because they are upgrades over what we have (except for Sergio who has the most potential out of all those guys).

Arroyo definitely showboats but he is a massive upgrade over AJ and Acie at this point. After this season he expires anyway so I don't think that he hurts us long term.

Duhon is having a bad season and I doubt Chicago would demand much for him. I think he is still capable of being what he was in the past which would make him a significat upgrade too. Watson is a bigger version of Duhon, he can score, pass really well, defend, and knock down the long ball but the 3 year contract is a concern.

I always like Lucas but I like him as a backup, the fact that he hasn't stuck anywhere makes him too much of a gamble.

Anything that takes us near the luxury tax (with the Smith extension) just isn't gonna happen so Miller might be out of the picture.

I think Watson is the best option but because of the contract we might not do it. I'd love to see us pick up Duhon or even Arroyo.
betta1
Sixth Man

Post#6 » by betta1 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:07 pm

I say we make a play in the summer for one of the following PGs

Duhon
Calderon
Shaun Livingtson (worth rolling the dice on IMO)
Udrih (was always high on him and wish the Hawks had gotten him when he was cheap)
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,926

Post#7 » by tontoz » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:00 pm

We need to just go ahead and play Acie and see what we have.

This idea that playing Acie is such a risk is a joke. The big reason we have so many dumb turnovers is because we have guys other than our pg trying to be playmakers because AJ can't do it. Lue can make shots but can't play D at all and pounds the ball.

There is no reason not to play Acie.
Skyhawk1
Starter
And1: 102

Post#8 » by Skyhawk1 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:34 pm

HoopsGuru25 wrote:I'm not interested in backup caliber pgs like Watson and Duhon. I want to get Andre Miller or start Acie Law.

I totally agree with you. Our PG issues will not go away with anyone in that list but A. Miller. I've been hoping we can get the guy since he's on the block. I don't care if we have to give up Shelden or/and J. Chill in any deals for him.
GO HAWKS.
A5RoadDogg
Sophomore

Post#9 » by A5RoadDogg » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:54 pm

everyone talks about mike bibby to cleveland, why not go after bibby for atlanta?

we desparately need one more shooter to spread the floor, and that's just what bibby provides, at the point...not to mention his history of clutch playoff performances. check his numbers, he still is performing at a high level. doesn't this make the most sense?
hawks in 20xx, where xx is this year +1
conleyorbust
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by conleyorbust » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:59 pm

Skyhawk1 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I totally agree with you. Our PG issues will not go away with anyone in that list but A. Miller. I've been hoping we can get the guy since he's on the block. I don't care if we have to give up Shelden or/and J. Chill in any deals for him.

Our point guard "issues" won't go away but we would still be a better team with a guy like Watson running the show. Lowry (if obtainable) would also be an upgrade and he has long term growth potential.

Bibby won't happen. I don't see ASG being willing to take on a $13.5m contract.
killbuckner
RealGM

Post#11 » by killbuckner » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:14 pm

Zaza, Shelden, Lue, and Salim for Bibby works. Actually that only adds about 7 million dollars in salary next season for the hawks. But I don't think that the Kings would have any reason to do that trade.
JoshB914
Head Coach
And1: 2

Post#12 » by JoshB914 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:35 pm

The Kings aren't going to deal Bibby for the Zaza/Shelden/expirers combo we love to throw around.

I'm starting to come around on a Dre Miller deal as long as we don't give up a player of more value than Chillz. If we can get out of this road trip without falling apart I think that is worth looking at. I've also grown to like Udrih this season and his contract is off the books after this season. I think Sac might be willing to deal him with Bibby back on the floor.
conleyorbust
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by conleyorbust » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:46 pm

I think ownership has a lot of incentive to sign off on a move. Playoffs equal a lot more revenue and more national TV time than we have had all season. It also ensures more tickets sold the next season and some TV time. The east is bad enough that we could almost be a lock with a guy like Miller or even Watson.

I know Arroyo has his problems but he would be a great point guard to have if Woody was actually willing to push the pace. He doesn't turn it over too often and he is a good passer in the open court. He is a good penetrator in the half-court too but he falls in love with the midrange J a little too often.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,926

Post#14 » by tontoz » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:58 pm

I think the Korver deal lessened the chances of Miller getting moved. I think Philly will have at least $12 million of capspace available without trading Miller. If Miller is traded and they don't get a pg in return they really don't have anyone to play the point. LW is a combo guard.
killbuckner
RealGM

Post#15 » by killbuckner » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:36 pm

remember that if childress is the bait to get Miller then it would have to be a 3 way trade. Childress has that 11 million dollar caphold and the sixers want to clear caproom. I don't see that being a problem because Childress should have value to several playoff teams but just keep it in mind.
HoopsGuru25
General Manager

Post#16 » by HoopsGuru25 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:43 pm

tontoz wrote:I think the Korver deal lessened the chances of Miller getting moved. I think Philly will have at least $12 million of capspace available without trading Miller. If Miller is traded and they don't get a pg in return they really don't have anyone to play the point. LW is a combo guard.

Philly will have to make an additional move for cap space to offer a max contract. They will have to move Evans or Green for expirings(if they plan on keeping Miller)..and I don't think they can. Remember...Philly has two draft picks that will count against the cap(before free agency) and one of them could be very high.

I proposed a Shelden/Lo/AJ for Miller/Booth trade back in November. With Shelden's value going down since then..I would probably throw in a lottery protected 09 first if it meant getting Miller.
killbuckner
RealGM

Post#17 » by killbuckner » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:44 pm

also- arroyo is the starting PG for the Magic. I don't see them dumping Arroyo for scraps.
killbuckner
RealGM

Post#18 » by killbuckner » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:47 pm

HG- the Hawks can't trade another first rounder until 2010
HoopsGuru25
General Manager

Post#19 » by HoopsGuru25 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:01 pm

killbuckner wrote:HG- the Hawks can't trade another first rounder until 2010

Forgot about that rule. Philly might end up keeping Miller then..I don't see where they are going to get much value for Miller from the teams that would be interested in him. Cleveland,Orlando,Atlanta,and Houston are the only teams who are fighting for the playoffs that "need" a point guard(although Alston has had a career year). They won't get a good draft pick or a solid prospect so I guess whoever get's him will probably have to take on Green or Evans along with him.
conleyorbust
Lead Assistant

Post#20 » by conleyorbust » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:07 pm

killbuckner wrote:also- arroyo is the starting PG for the Magic. I don't see them dumping Arroyo for scraps.

I thought Nelson was the starter? He is injured but he will be back soon, he signed a loooong term contract and Arroyo's contract is up at the end of the year. If they got another backup with an expiring (AJ/Lue) in return plus a player they liked (Zaza, Shelden) then its concievable.

Return to Atlanta Hawks