ImageImage

Point guard options

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

conleyorbust
Lead Assistant
And1: 0

Post#41 » by conleyorbust » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:37 am

HMFFL wrote:Acie is suppose to be the #1 during the next couple years. We need to stay the course and trade for a veteran with a expiring contract. I'd love to acquire Sam Cassell who has experience and Acie could benefit from his knowledge.

The other option would be Andre Miller. He's still going to cost some talent to acquire and he's still due 10 million next season. This could turn into a bad investment depending on what it would cost to acquire him and if we are unable to retain the Joshes.

I feel fairly confident in saying that if Sam did ditch the Clippers, he wouldn't want to come here - he's a ring chaser now. Dre Miller would be great as far as a talent upgrade, he would really help us push the pace but I'm also worried about how that investment would turn out... and if you are worried about big salaries...
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,018

Post#42 » by HMFFL » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:50 am

conleyorbust wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I feel fairly confident in saying that if Sam did ditch the Clippers, he wouldn't want to come here - he's a ring chaser now. Dre Miller would be great as far as a talent upgrade, he would really help us push the pace but I'm also worried about how that investment would turn out... and if you are worried about big salaries...

What makes you think he even cares about a ring right now? He may just want to be on a contender so he can have some type of enjoyment. I don't like the fact that he passed on us once, but hey, I can get over it and accept the fact that we could use him.
conleyorbust
Lead Assistant

Post#43 » by conleyorbust » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:52 am

HMFFL wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

What makes you think he even cares about a ring right now? He may just want to be on a contender so he can have some type of enjoyment. I don't like the fact that he passed on us once, but hey, I can get over it and accept the fact that we could use him.

he's old as hell, sees the window closing, wants to play with KG... wants to at least play on a winning team. Its not impossible but I'd say that it probably wouldn't be at the top of his list. By all means we should try if he becomes available but I wouldn't expect much.
evildallas
General Manager

Post#44 » by evildallas » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:53 am

^^^ Never said it was wise. I was just moved to ponder and post by the headline about his agent pushing to get him back on the active roster.

As for Watson, I think the 13M over 2 years depends on some other factors to determine if it is a good investment.
#1) Can Zaza or Shelden be moved to free up some more cap next year?
#2) Off-season plans concerning PG. If the team is serious about a real run at Jose Calderon, then don't settle for Earl Watson now. If there isn't a serious plan (i.e. willingness to spend a lot of money) then acquiring a starter for the next season is probably the best way to go.
#3) To a lesser extent how long (if at all) they believe Acie Law will be ready to handle the reins.
#4) Plans concerning Josh Childress.

The last one should probably be higher on the list. If the team plans on resigning Childress (I'm against it) then we can't be serious about any free agent acquisitions and we need to make a trade for a PG this season. I'm factoring matching any offer for Josh Smith into my calculations. If the team plans on keeping Childress then realistically a player like Watson is probably the best we can get because Tinsley, Miller, and Hinrich are all higher in salary.

Having said all this I still favor trying to get Duhon because he doesn't come with a multiple year guarantee and would probably be resignable at a reasonable figure if so inclined. He improves my biggest problem with Ty Lue which is defense.

I am also in favor of dealing Childress now because I don't believe it is the team's best interest to invest in him long term. Right now he has trade value as the team that acquires him would have his RFA rights. Given the number of players who could be on the market in the off-season I think waiting for a sign and trade would be ill-advised (given the quality of players we would likely receive) and his cap hold will hamper us in any free agent negotiations. The other reason is that I think we need to stretch the opposing D's more by improving our 3 pt threat (acquiring Korver has done wonders for Utah).
Going to donkey punch a leprechaun!
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,839

Post#45 » by Baddy Chuck » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:32 am

Mo will
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
asdf1223
Sophomore

Post#46 » by asdf1223 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:43 pm

would u guys be ok with a watson for lo wright and lue swap?
killbuckner
RealGM

Post#47 » by killbuckner » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:09 pm

HMFFL- Acie has been one of the worst PG's in the league this season by whatever measure you would want to use. He would have to significantly improve just to become a quality backup, he simply isn't anywhere near being a quality starter. At this point if Acie turns into starter material it has to be seen as a bonus, but he can't be counted on at all in my opinion.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,926

Post#48 » by tontoz » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:51 pm

HMFFL- Acie has been one of the worst PG's in the league this season by whatever measure you would want to use.

I guess you already forgot the fact that Acie's +/- with the starters is better than AJ's.
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 1,495

Post#49 » by dms269 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:20 pm

asdf1223 wrote:would u guys be ok with a watson for lo wright and lue swap?

I think that is what most of the thread is about. I would not for the simple fact of his contract. Adding that much limits anything we can do this offseason. We add a guy who would have to compete with AJ for the starting spot, and I'm not even sure Watson would win out. If he doesn't (really if he does) we are paying a backup 6.2 million a year for the next 3 years when we are already paying one backup that much. Atlanta would do the trade if they were receiving incentive back since seattle is basically dumping Watson on the Hawks for nothing (the 2 years left on watson deal for expirings).
The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#50 » by HMFFL » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:42 am

Stoudamire, Grizzlies agree on buyout

Tennessee (Ticker) - The Memphis Grizzlies and guard Damon Stoudamire have reached a verbal agreement on a contract buyout, according to a published report Saturday.

According to the report in the Memphis Commercial Appeal, the buyout is expected to happen Monday at which time the veteran point guard will become a free agent. Stoudamire will then have to clear a 48-waiver period before signing.

Stoudamire is expected to draw plenty of interest around the league with the Boston Celtics and Phoenix Suns likely to vie for his services. There also are reports Stoudamire may land with the Toronto Raptors, the franchise he was drafted by and won Rookie of the Year honors with in 1995-96.

Making $4.35 million this season and due $4.65 million in 2008-09, Stoudamire hasn't played since December 30 due to the emergence of rookie Mike Conley.

Stoudamire, 33, is averaging 7.5 points and 4.3 assists in 29 games this season. The 5-10, 174-pounder owns career averages of 13.8 points and 6.3 assists.

Link
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#51 » by HMFFL » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:33 pm

If there are any players on the team likely to be traded, it would be people such as Chris Duhon and Viktor Khryapa, who are about to become free agents and may not be back next season. There might be a contending team that could use an extra point guard for the stretch run.

Then again, as long as the Bulls' payroll is threatening to approach the luxury-tax threshold next season, trading expiring contracts may not be high on Paxson's priority list, either.

Link

Chris Duhon's Career Numbers:

3 point % 35.5

Ast - 4.5

Many of us have mentioned Chris over the years and I would love for us to acquiring him. Still likely that Paxson would expect us to give up too much. If not Atlanta, I'm ready for Chris to be locked down to a longterm contract so his name stops coming up.
conleyorbust
Lead Assistant

Post#52 » by conleyorbust » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:57 pm

HMFFL wrote:
If there are any players on the team likely to be traded, it would be people such as Chris Duhon and Viktor Khryapa, who are about to become free agents and may not be back next season. There might be a contending team that could use an extra point guard for the stretch run.

Then again, as long as the Bulls' payroll is threatening to approach the luxury-tax threshold next season, trading expiring contracts may not be high on Paxson's priority list, either.

Link

Chris Duhon's Career Numbers:

3 point % 35.5

Ast - 4.5

Many of us have mentioned Chris over the years and I would love for us to acquiring him. Still likely that Paxson would expect us to give up too much. If not Atlanta, I'm ready for Chris to be locked down to a longterm contract so his name stops coming up.

Above average defender too. He'd be an easy upgrade that wouldn't hurt us this summer.
HoopsGuru25
General Manager
And1: 3

Post#53 » by HoopsGuru25 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:55 pm

Duhon is a bum. You are in real trouble if he starts because you will be playing 4 on 5. A slight upgrade from Royal Ivey IMO.

Watson is interesting but not really the point guard we need. Delonte West has always been a guy that I liked who is a solid shooter and defender(but can't really run an offense). In 2005 I watched alot of late night Sonics game and Ridnour looked like he would become what Calderon is today. I'm not sure why he has regressed so much but my guess would be coaching(I trust Nate McMillan alot more than their last 3 coaches). He's been injured but this guy has amazing court vision and is still only 26. His plus/minus and assist numbers are also alot better than Watson and West.

Return to Atlanta Hawks