ImageImage

Delonte West unloved?

Moderators: HMFFL, dms269, Jamaaliver

evildallas
General Manager
And1: 0

Delonte West unloved? 

Post#1 » by evildallas » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:16 pm

Until this blurb I had thought that resigning Delonte West was in Seattle's plans. Not sure what to make of his situation, but I for one would welcome a trade for him.

link
Going to donkey punch a leprechaun!
D21
Lead Assistant
And1: 659

Post#2 » by D21 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:55 pm

While I was thinking Speedy will be ready to play 24min, I was all for getting a combo like Antonio Daniels or Delonte West. Now, hmmm, not sure but I would trade. The advantage of getting a good combo would be to make Childress expandable if it needed, with a future PG-SG rotation of Acie-Joe-West. (anyway, we would need a backup SF).
HoopsGuru25
General Manager
And1: 3

Post#3 » by HoopsGuru25 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:55 pm

I have liked West for a while. Theonly thing not to like is that he's not a ture pg. He is a tough player on the defensive end. He can hit the open outside shot..can play either the 1 or 2(so we could rest Joe more)and he's a great guy to have in lockeroom on top of it.
will
RealGM
And1: 49,749
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#4 » by will » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:54 pm

Delonte would be a nice fit, although he is still not the pass first point guard the team needs.
D21
Lead Assistant

Post#5 » by D21 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:55 pm

HoopsGuru25 wrote:I have liked West for a while. Theonly thing not to like is that he's not a ture pg. He is a tough player on the defensive end. He can hit the open outside shot..can play either the 1 or 2(so we could rest Joe more)and he's a great guy to have in lockeroom on top of it.

That's right, a combo guard who can shoot could backup Joe in the right way, a thing Childress can't because of his lack of shooting ability. That's a thing Salim was supposed to do, but it doesn't work.

Will, that's not a pass-first PG, sure, but what's the point to get one if Woody wants to continue to coach like that. We don't have shooters in this team, so getting a pass-first PG would only be good if this team start to run, and forget the way they play at this moment.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,120

Post#6 » by HMFFL » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:18 pm

I'm a big Delonte West fan and would love for us to acquire him. I'm not sure if we are able to provide him with the amount of minutes he'd be happy with. However, Delonte and Josh could be our main one two punch off the bench. The only thing besides that would be finding a big man that can come off the bench to take some minutes off both Josh Smith and Al Horford. (Unless Shelden steps his game up)
smabie
Sophomore

Post#7 » by smabie » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:50 pm

D21 wrote:That's right, a combo guard who can shoot could backup Joe in the right way, a thing Childress can't because of his lack of shooting ability. That's a thing Salim was supposed to do, but it doesn't work.

I think you mean "it isn't tried."

For something to "not work," it has to actually be attempted. Which it has not been; the only time Salim's gotten consistent and regular minutes was when JJ was injured. As long as Woodson remains coach, it will never be tried, because Woodson has decided it, just as he did with Diaw and Ivey (who have both proved to be better players on non-Woodson coached teams).
D21
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by D21 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:15 pm

smabie wrote:I think you mean "it isn't tried."

Yes, I was talking about Woodson-Salim, so it includes this aspect ;)
JoshB914
Head Coach
And1: 2

Post#9 » by JoshB914 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:26 pm

He would be a PERFECT fit. Like D21 said, this could also take some of the pressure of JJ with perimeter shooting.
conleyorbust
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by conleyorbust » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:33 pm

JoshB914 wrote:He would be a PERFECT fit. Like D21 said, this could also take some of the pressure of JJ with perimeter shooting.

It would be nice to see us get West and a real point guard like Lowry and have some flexibility in the backcourt. We have assets, some of whom are near dead-weight.
Hawks
Assistant Coach

Post#11 » by Hawks » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:58 pm

I would like to get him. Sonics were looking at Shelden in last year draft from reports leading into it. Shelden for West straight up should work.
CAM
Rookie

Post#12 » by CAM » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:11 pm

Hawks wrote:Shelden for West straight up should work.

I woiuld be very happy with this scenario, although it weakens an already thin froncourt.

I wonder what it would take to aquire West and Petro?
Hawks
Assistant Coach

Post#13 » by Hawks » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:52 pm

I gotta think Petro stock is going up with the Sonics. He is about there only Center to do anything out of the 3 they drafted. Swift hasn't done anything and I dunno about Sene.
CAM
Rookie

Post#14 » by CAM » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:58 pm

^^^ I do agree Hawks, but his 'stats' aren't exactly impressive. He's even down on numbers this year. He's still about potential.
HoopsGuru25
General Manager
And1: 3

Post#15 » by HoopsGuru25 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:02 am

Swift is hurt this year and he will be a free agent..not really sure I would give anything outside of Salim or Lue for him(not Solo). Sene has long arms but I read around the draft that he didn't even know how to hit a layup until he was 17. He also has stayed in the D-League his 1st two years. You have to question how good a big man is if a team like Seattle couldn't use him in the last 2 years...they're interior defense has been bad for a while. Sene may not be a rotation player until after his rookie contract ala Diop. I don't know much about Petro but he looked pretty athletic and coordinated vs the Hawks.
evildallas
General Manager

Post#16 » by evildallas » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:11 am

Here's my new attempt to do business with Seattle:

ATL Out:
Childress
Shelden Williams
Zaza Pachulia
Ty Lue

Seattle Out:
Delonte West
Earl Watson
Johann Petro
Damien Wilkins

Reason for Seattle:
They move 2yr/13M Earl Watson and the 2yr/6.4M Damien Wilkins by willing to part with the unloved West and Petro for 2 guys who are expiring and 2 guys who expire next year, but may be serviceable bigs in a new environment. Childress can be resigned if chosen or traded in the off-season. He's an upgrade over Wilkins regardless. Also they move some disgruntled players away from their young core.

For Atlanta, we strengthen our bench at 1-2 and change the 3 (don't improve) by giving up bigs. We get a little more height at the 5 although we lose depth. It's not a home run trade by any means, but it gives us some different skills that make us more equipped for a playoff run.

We can substitute an expiring contract in place of either Shelden or Zaza and still get the trade to work if Seattle wants cap space more quickly instead of a better prospect.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,930

Post#17 » by tontoz » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:17 am

I would trade for Sene if we could get him without giving up someone we actually want to keep. He seems to be doing reasonbly well in the D-League.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/playerfile/c ... hamed_sene

We are pretty much going to have to take a risk on someone in order to get a center who can play D. You can't teach height and Sene has a standing reach of 9'5". The only player i have seen with a higher reach is Yao at 9'7".

I highly doubt they will trade Petro or Swift.
evildallas
General Manager

Post#18 » by evildallas » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:01 am

I'd substitute Sene in that package if it would help to get the deal made. I'm not as high on him as I am Petro, but I want a 7 footer for certain situation even if the guy isn't ready for major minutes.

Return to Atlanta Hawks