ImageImage

The official not satisfied with Marvin Williams development

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Are you satisfied with Marvin Williams developmentThus far?

Yes
23%
no
77%

Total votes: 26

D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 658

Post#21 » by D21 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:26 am

atlsun wrote:Players can sign an extension after the third year right?

Right, but the contract extension won't start after the fourth year (so in the fifth).
atlsun
Senior
And1: 0

Post#22 » by atlsun » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:31 am

D21 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Right, but the contract extension won't start after the fourth year (so in the fifth).

Yeah I know man, but any time you can put yourself in a position to earn more money is a con tract year.
lunarblues
Analyst

Post#23 » by lunarblues » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:14 pm

i look at it this way.

before he was drafted people were comparing him and rudy gay who stayed at UCONN because he thought he'd be a number one if it weren't for marvin.

they both had the same physique and the same skill yet 3 yrs later rudy gay has earned the keys to a franchise while marvin has been relagated to 4th option on a team.

its all about the mindset. rudy gay wants to take over games and will score 20 on you whether you like it or not. problem with marvin is he's satisfied with 15 pts and 6 rebounds. it's almost like he shuts down his game like he's nearing a quota and will have to go home if he reaches it too early. we should have seen it in college. he was one of the most hyped freshmen coming in that year but was happy being on the bench behind david noel. he has to come out and assert his image on the game. we aren't gonig to win with 15 and 6.
Lue_4_MVP
Junior

Post#24 » by Lue_4_MVP » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:13 am

its all about the mindset. rudy gay wants to take over games and will score 20 on you whether you like it or not. problem with marvin is he's satisfied with 15 pts and 6 rebounds. it's almost like he shuts down his game like he's nearing a quota and will have to go home if he reaches it too early.

I don't think mindset is the only thing. Marvin just isn't that great of a player in the first place. Even if he gets it all together I can only see him as a 19ppg player tops, a poor man's Corey Maggette. The talent difference between Gay and Marvin is more than I'd like to admit - Gay is just way more explosive and less clumsy.
will
RealGM
And1: 49,385
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#25 » by will » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:18 pm

This thread is at least a year too late.

Marvin will never be the lead guy on a team. He would make a good #2 guy at the very very best, which is unlikely.

What exactly is his role? He doesn't knock down the three, doesn't rebound too well, doesn't defend well. One thing I will give him is his drives to the hoop for freethrow attempts. Other than that, nothing about his game stands out.

With Joe, Horford, JSmoove, Bibby, and even Childress making a bigger impact on Marvin, it doesn't look like he will do a whole lot more in the future barring a trade.

His 4th season next year will really tell what kind of player he will be.

Return to Atlanta Hawks