ImageImage

Hasheem Thabeet = Dikembe Mutombo

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

HoopsGuru25
General Manager
And1: 3

Post#21 » by HoopsGuru25 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:04 am

Horford and Dwight graduated HS the same year....you can't compare the measurements of an 18/19 year old to a 21 year old. I do think a Smith/Horford combo can work as long we we replace Zaza with some one who is actually good.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,926

Post#22 » by tontoz » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:54 pm

parson wrote:tontoz, I thought that was obvious to all. The point was that the deal was negotiated before the legal signing date. I was saying, "One day, one week, one month; who cares?"

You simply don't understand the free agent rules. Teams are allowed to negotiate with free agents on July 1. They can't actually sign a deal until a few days later.
tontoz
RealGM

Post#23 » by tontoz » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:56 pm

_BBIB_ wrote:Pre Draft Measurements

Dwight Howard
6'9 w/o shoes
6'10.25" w/ shoes
240 pounds

Al Horford
6'8.75 w/o shoes
6'9.75 w/ shoes
246 pounds

You left something out.

Standing reach
Howard 9' 3.5"
Horford 8' 11"
tontoz
RealGM

Post#24 » by tontoz » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:28 pm

Each season, the NBA will have a moratorium period in which teams may hold negotiations but cannot sign contracts. It is during this time period that the NBA and NBPA conducts an audit that assists in the determination of the new Salary Cap figure for the following season which will be in effect on the date following the day the moratorium is lifted.

http://www.nba.com/news/july_fa_moratorium.html
Fenix
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Post#25 » by Fenix » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:35 pm

tontoz wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

You left something out.

Standing reach
Howard 9' 3.5"
Horford 8' 11"

And Howard obviously grew since he got drafted. He's closer to 7 feet nowadays.
"Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team." (Scottie Pippen, #33)
_BBIB_
Lead Assistant
And1: 15

Post#26 » by _BBIB_ » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:02 am

tontoz wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

You left something out.

Standing reach
Howard 9' 3.5"
Horford 8' 11"

Point is that if Horford gains 15-20 pounds he is fully capable of playing full-time C in this league.

At 6'10 265 pounds with increased skill, that standing reach would look even more overrated than it already is
evildallas
General Manager
And1: 0

Post#27 » by evildallas » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:52 am

^^^ That would be great, but it is my contention that we still need a quality backup C with more height behind Al Horford. I would love a 3 man big rotation of Josh Smith, Al Horford, and Thabeet. It would give the team much greater versatility and should dramatically improve the team D. If the cost is Marvin and his upside, then I can live with that. I say that improves team D, not because of upgrading Al, but because it allows us to have 2 capable interior defensive players in at all times.

If Thabeet evolves to a stud C and we have to make a tough choice 3 years done the road, then great! To be honest by that time it probably wouldn't be a choice between Thabeet and Horford, but rather whether Josh Smith is suitable at SF at the time. That will depend on how much his game has evolved over the years (I have faith it will).
Going to donkey punch a leprechaun!
tontoz
RealGM

Post#28 » by tontoz » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:29 am

_BBIB_ wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Point is that if Horford gains 15-20 pounds he is fully capable of playing full-time C in this league.

At 6'10 265 pounds with increased skill, that standing reach would look even more overrated than it already is

You always say guys can put on 20 pounds like it is nothing. It doesn't work that way. You can't just snap your fingers and gain 20 pounds, especially if you turned pro after your junior year and have been lifting for years.
JoshB914
Head Coach
And1: 2

Post#29 » by JoshB914 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:03 pm

Horford can play center in this league, the thing is he wwould be much better offensively at the 4. But Smoove has to play PF.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,204

Post#30 » by tsherkin » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:54 am

Just as a response to the title of the thread...

Haha, God no.

In FEWER minutes as a sophmore, Mutombo was already a superior rebounder to Thabeet and, while comparable as a shot-blocker and in terms of fouls incurred, this is a laughable comparison.

Too, remember that Deke shot over 70% from the field in his first two seasons. It wasn't until his senior year, when he was scoring more than 15 ppg, that he came DOWN to 58.6% FG and shot a percentage comparable to what Thabeet is posting now.

Now, let me quickly point this out:

RBD/MIN as a Sophmore:

Thabeet: 0.257
Mutombo: .408

Are we seeing what I'm seeing here?

Thabeet is a fine shot-blocker and isn't ridiculously foul-prone, which is nice.

But part of Mutombo's big allure is that he was a dominant rebounder. You're talking about a guy who is the active leader in defensive rebounds, once led the league in total offensive boards, twice led the league in defensive boards, twice led the league in RPG and defensive rebound rate, and once led the league in total rebound rate.

He was a spectacular rebounder.

Thabeet is not.

Mutombo was top-3 in the league in RPG 8 times during his career, a career that began in a year before Shaquille O'neal was drafted, which put him in the primes of Olajuwon, Ewing, Robinson, Shaq and Mourning, nevermind Barkley, Webber and so on. 6 of Mutombo's top-3 finishes in RPG occurred during the 90s, mind and 5 of those while Dream, D-Rob and Ewing were still dominant forces in the league... 4 of them before Robinson's injury.

Let's not pretend Thabeet is anything more than a taller version of Theo Ratliff, shall we?

Very compelling as a prospect, but not a stunner on the glass.
HoopsGuru25
General Manager

Post#31 » by HoopsGuru25 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:10 pm

I don't like this draft. I like Mayo because he shoots well,defends well,handles well, and has a great work ethic. He reminds me alot of Brandon Roy. I like Beasley because he's extremely talented(moreso than Durant imo)but you have to qustion the character of someone who never plays on the same team for more than one year. He probably isn't that coachable and his body language reminds me alot of Glen Robinson. I like Bayless(all the tools for a good scorer) but his value will depend on how well he can play pg at the next level.

Rose is an overhyped more athletic version of Javaris Crittenton (NONE of his skills are superior than Critt's). He has the best combination of size/athleticism I've seen from a pg since Francis but his shot(which has awful form) and pg skills are both weak. He has great upside but he isn't worth "tanking" for(which alot of fans want to do). He is this year's version of Marvin Williams.

Gordon looked liked a chucker with weak handles when I saw him. The list of 6'3 and under shooting guards who are top ch players is short(Ellis,Barbosa,Iverson,Gordon,etc). He reminds me alot of J.R. Smith.

Thabeet is a very good shot blocker but only averages 8 rpg in college when he's like 7'4. What are the chances that he becomes better than Diop or Pryzbilla(both MLE players)? Love has good skills but is probably less athletic then every PF in the NBA besides Randolph. Hibbert sucks and DeAndre Jordan will take years to develop. Lopezis a true 7 footer with long arms with great offensive ability(basically Pau Gasol)with weak defense/rebounding. He is the only big man in the draft whose game will definitely translate to the NBA.
conleyorbust
Lead Assistant
And1: 0

Post#32 » by conleyorbust » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:28 pm

^I actually like Rose a lot. I haven't seen anything from Mayo that looks "special". Rose doesn't have great pg numbers but he definitely understands how to run an up-tempo offense. Brook Lopez doesn't look bad at all, he's got the post skills of Hawes without the lack of athleticism.

I can't tell about Beasley just yet. People call Smith an undersized PF but Beasley is the same size as Josh at most and not nearly as explosive.
Harry10
Banned User

Post#33 » by Harry10 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:51 pm

i really don't know why Hawks' fans are talking about the draft.
HoopsGuru25
General Manager

Post#34 » by HoopsGuru25 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:28 pm

I think Rose is getting hyped because he plays on a great team and has great highlight reels. His shooting form leads me to believe he's going to be a mediocre shooter for the rest of his career and his pg skills aren't any better than Crittenton's who is currently the 3rd string pg on Memphis. The only thing that intrigues me about Rose is his athletic ability/1st step. In today's NBA you do need a guard who can break down the defense and finish inside(like the last two finals MVP's)but I've seen nothing else (defense,shooting,passing)from Rose that I find above average.

Mayo has very little weaknesses which I like. I could also see him coming in next year and being very productive. He has no major weaknesses(maybe shot selection) which is why I like him(and which is why I liked Brandon Roy in 06). He's basically the safest pick in the draft. A 6'5 guard who can shoot,defend,and has pg skills will almost always be a solid pro unless he's John Salmons or Jamal Crawford. He doesn't have the great upside like Rose but he will still probably be a border-line all-star.
I can't tell about Beasley just yet. People call Smith an undersized PF but Beasley is the same size as Josh at most and not nearly as explosive.

Josh came into the league with no skills though. Josh just recently started playing with his back to the basket and taking bigger players off the dribble. I think Beasley is already alot better at those things despite being 3 years younger. He already has a decent mid range J as well(which Smith still doesn't have). I just question his attitude.
Harry10
Banned User

Post#35 » by Harry10 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:45 pm

i didn't buy into the Durant hype last year, their is no Dwight, Lebron, or Oden in this year's draft, but i am buying into the Beasley, Rose and Mayo hype.

i like Beasley, Rose, Mayo , Bayless, Gordon, and DeAndre Jordan more than Durant coming out of college.

Rose is no PG (but he could still develop skills) but he does look like another Wade, which aint so bad.

Mayo could turn out to be decent, but not the star Rose will become. but Mayo does look like another Ray Allen or Rip Hamilton.

Bayless and Gordon looks another Monte Ellis, and both guys could be 20 point scorers if hey are put on western conference teams.
mattlanta
Senior

Post#36 » by mattlanta » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:55 pm

Thabeet is the shyt! But I don't know if he will stay. Every one has already said why, so I won't repeat it again.

But man... if he stayed... UConn would definitely go to the championship barring a major injury.

Speaking of injury, A.J. Price went down and might not be 100% even in the beginning of next season. Another reason why Thabeet might go. He will see how quick careers can go downhill.

Return to Atlanta Hawks