Johnson proves he's an all-star

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,010

Johnson proves he's an all-star 

Post#1 » by HMFFL » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:21 pm

Mike Woodson has a question for all those people who were critical of his captain around the All-Star break.

"Where are they now?" he said, shaking his head. "Where are they now?"

Joe Johnson made his second straight All-Star Game last month. But he was struggling at the time, before the Mike Bibby trade, as defenses geared up to stop him with two and three defenders on a nightly basis.

The Hawks' last seven games, though, he's been destroying the competition. In the seven games prior to Sunday's game against the New York Knicks Johnson averaged 29.1 points and 6.1 assists, making better than 52 percent (75-for-144) of his shots from the floor and better than 58 percent of his shots (25-for-43) from beyond the 3-point line.

"He's trying to will this team into the playoffs," Woodson said. "His focus has been as good as I've seen it, on both ends of the floor. And I think having Mike has really given him a different look in terms of how teams are defending him.

"But he's been on top of his game here lately, and if we're going to do what we need to do [for the postseason], that's the way it has to be every night."

Johnson was on his mark Sunday, finishing with 28 points and 11 assists in the Hawks' 109-98 win over the Knicks.

Link
JoshB914
Head Coach
And1: 2

Post#2 » by JoshB914 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:17 pm

Woody doesn't seem to understand that the AS voting was based on what JJ did in the first half of the season, no one can predict the future and the bottom line is he had an awful first half.

He has been incredible recently. We actually appear to have some semblance of an offense when he's playing like this.
Rip2137
Analyst
And1: 228

Post#3 » by Rip2137 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:21 pm

especially when he has been getting rid of the ball quickly out the double the last two games. Good stuff.
Lue_4_MVP
Junior
And1: 0

Post#4 » by Lue_4_MVP » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:34 pm

I hate to be a wet blanket, but a couple wins against the likes of Miami, the Clippers and New York don't exactly get me excited. The day JJ leads us to a playoff series victory (let alone the playoffs) in the weak East, he'll have my respect.
Skyhawk1
Starter
And1: 102

Post#5 » by Skyhawk1 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:51 pm

The day JJ has some consistent help from the so talented fowards we got and everyone else on the roster, we can be a winning team. Why's that that no matter what this guy does he's still under aprecciated. I mean, he doesn't play alone. If we are not doing great and anyone knows we are not, he's the least of our problems. JJ is a true All-star !
GO HAWKS.
Lue_4_MVP
Junior

Post#6 » by Lue_4_MVP » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:52 pm

Where was JJ the entire first half of the season when Josh Smith was playing like an all-star and Chill and AJ were solid? Oh yeah, laying an egg.

If you can't lead a team in your 3rd year to a respectable record, then you are not an all-star! I don't care how inconsistent the team is, plenty of stars get **** teams but still will their teams to at least respectable records.

I don't expect him to Lebron us to the finals, but 28-38 in the East? Cmon!
NWO4Life
Rookie

Post#7 » by NWO4Life » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:14 pm

Tell Woodson I'm still right here. A couple of solid games does not a season make. If when the season is over and I can see that he did what is expected of an all star I will be the first to say it. But don't point at a few games and say, "see told you so." I'm a bit smarter than that thank you.
VOTE Rod Strickland into the H.O.F.!!!
Skyhawk1
Starter

Post#8 » by Skyhawk1 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:58 am

How can you dare to put the words All-star and J. Smith in the same sentence when your argument is that JJ isn't an all-star cause he's done it for a few games ? He's done all season long. Where was jj the first half of the season ? being doubled and tripled teamed every night, while your man J. Smith was playing 1-1. It's true JJ went through hard times, but hey, the guy handles the ball, rebounds, passes, plays defense, and has to score.
GO HAWKS.
conleyorbust
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by conleyorbust » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:26 pm

Skyhawk1 wrote:How can you dare to put the words All-star and J. Smith in the same sentence when your argument is that JJ isn't an all-star cause he's done it for a few games ? He's done all season long. Where was jj the first half of the season ? being doubled and tripled teamed every night, while your man J. Smith was playing 1-1. It's true JJ went through hard times, but hey, the guy handles the ball, rebounds, passes, plays defense, and has to score.

Alright Skyhawk, be objective for juuuust a second here. Earlier in the season when we were winning games, it was because of our defense. Smith was carrying the team on D. Joe was injured or slumping or something and I had said that I was willing to give him a pass for his play. Still though, you have to admit that Smith made huge positive contributions to this team or people will continue to not take you seriously. Literally every post you make has some sort of comment about how you don't like Smith, its like he hooked up with your mom or something and you are getting revenge by slandering him on a message board.

EDIT: Its not really slander, its libel. I'm not sure what statute would be used for a message board, I'm not sure if this is published. Regardless though, its annoying.
JoshB914
Head Coach

Post#10 » by JoshB914 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:59 pm

It also should be noted that Smoove's shooting % is now above 45%. For all the outcry about his shot selection, it seems he is clearly improving drastically in that area.
Skyhawk1
Starter

Post#11 » by Skyhawk1 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:11 pm

We got a PF that avgs less than 8 rpg, turns it over more than many of the PGs in this league, and can't shoot or stay out of trouble. He's not a great defender. Tell me ONE game where he's owned his man ? He can block shots, that doen't mean he's a good defender. He had a couple of good games early in the eason, then he disappeared. Since the all-star break he's been more on the bench than helping his team on the floor. We can survive just fine without this guy, now, if you take JJ from this team, we were fighting with the Heat and Sonics for the worst record in the league. If you ask me J. Smith is the type of player I like, I will say, definately NOT. He makes poor decisions, forces everything, and has no fundamentals. You like it or not, that's my opinion on him.
GO HAWKS.
JoshB914
Head Coach

Post#12 » by JoshB914 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:23 pm

He's not a good defender? Look at our defensive statistics when Smoove is out of the game, it is incredible. I can understand why people may not like his game, but he has unquestionably had an incredibly positive effect on this team.

He has issues with shot selection but he can't be "forcing everything" if he's got his percentage up to 45.3. He was in the high 30's earlier in the season.
conleyorbust
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by conleyorbust » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:27 pm

Skyhawk1 wrote:We got a PF that avgs less than 8 rpg, turns it over more than many of the PGs in this league, and can't shoot or stay out of trouble. He's not a great defender. Tell me ONE game where he's owned his man ? He can block shots, that doen't mean he's a good defender. He had a couple of good games early in the eason, then he disappeared. Since the all-star break he's been more on the bench than helping his team on the floor. We can survive just fine without this guy, now, if you take JJ from this team, we were fighting with the Heat and Sonics for the worst record in the league. If you ask me J. Smith is the type of player I like, I will say, definately NOT. He makes poor decisions, forces everything, and has no fundamentals. You like it or not, that's my opinion on him.

You are allowed to have your opinions... The problem is that you don't base them on established facts. For one, Smith isn't a bad man defender in the least. For another, teams build defensive strategies around shotblockers like Smith. I don't think you understand some fundamental stuff about team basketball. Marcus Camby is a terrible man defender, worse than Smith without question. The thing is, it doesn't really matter because you don't want your best shotblocker to be spending the entire game glued to his man. You want him to be able to contest every shot taken near the basket.

Rebounding? Smith is in the top 30 rebounder in the league... I don't know what else you want.

On offense, he makes mistakes but he hasn't been forcing it since we got Bibby and because of it his TOs are down. Just like JJ hasn't had as many sub-40% games. Its not that you don't make any good points. Smith does force things and he doesn't have great fundamentals. Its just that you have such and obvious agenda that there is no point in listening to you because you don't back anything up with facts.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,926

Post#14 » by tontoz » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:32 pm

Skyhawk is a card carrying Smith hater. Pretty much every post will have a shot at Smith.

I was encouraged last night that Smith had no turnovers and shot only 2 jumpers. And one time he actually got a defensive rebound and immediately looked to pass to Bibby which was a shock.

As to the topic of the thread JJ didn't earn his All-Star spot but is playing like an All-Star this month.
conleyorbust
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by conleyorbust » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:39 pm

tontoz wrote:Skyhawk is a card carrying Smith hater. Pretty much every post will have a shot at Smith.

I was encouraged last night that Smith had no turnovers and shot only 2 jumpers. And one time he actually got a defensive rebound and immediately looked to pass to Bibby which was a shock.

As to the topic of the thread JJ didn't earn his All-Star spot but is playing like an All-Star this month.

cosigned.
JoshB914
Head Coach

Post#16 » by JoshB914 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:21 pm

tontoz wrote:Skyhawk is a card carrying Smith hater. Pretty much every post will have a shot at Smith.

You and I have been saying this all year, Smoove doesn't have to get all these points from the perimeter. If he just focuses on executing he will get his points because of his athleticism and improving post game. A jumper here and there is fine, but when he tries to START the game by taking a few jumpers from the perimeter it's very clear he loses focus. Last night he was focusing on doing the dirty work and he would have easily had 20+ pts if not for foul trouble.

I love watching him play. He is learning and getting better every day and you can see it on the floor. I think he'll be a star once he becomes a more refined player.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,926

Post#17 » by tontoz » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:52 pm

The obvious thing about Smith is that he wants to do everything well. That works for him and against him.

it works for him because he is always trying to get better. For example this year he has posted up consistently which he rarely did before this year. Of course he is still a work in progress in the post.

It works against him because it frequently leads him to doing things he really doesn't have the talent for. No matter how much he works at it his perimeter shooting and ball handling skills wont be that good. He needs to stop the Rashard/Kidd impersonations.

If he can ever temper his desire to be an all around great player with an acceptance of his limitations then he can really be a force. But it remains to be seen if he can actually do it. I believe in his talent and his desire but i sometimes question what goes on between the ears.
conleyorbust
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by conleyorbust » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:33 pm

tontoz wrote:The obvious thing about Smith is that he wants to do everything well. That works for him and against him.

it works for him because he is always trying to get better. For example this year he has posted up consistently which he rarely did before this year. Of course he is still a work in progress in the post.

It works against him because it frequently leads him to doing things he really doesn't have the talent for. No matter how much he works at it his perimeter shooting and ball handling skills wont be that good. He needs to stop the Rashard/Kidd impersonations.

If he can ever temper his desire to be an all around great player with an acceptance of his limitations then he can really be a force. But it remains to be seen if he can actually do it. I believe in his talent and his desire but i sometimes question what goes on between the ears.

Good points all around. My hope is that the new coaching/developmental staff (there has to be one right?) can help him with the mental aspect of the game - at least in terms of finding a more defined role on offense. At this point in his career, he's not a smart enough player to know what to do with the ball if he catches it at the 3 point line with 11 seconds left on the clock.

On defense I think he is the least of our worries. He covers for other guys' mistakes... leaves his man to go for blocks too often but every dominant shotblocker not named Tim Duncan has that problem.
JoshB914
Head Coach

Post#19 » by JoshB914 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:40 pm

Smoove is already a force in many ways. But he can be one of the great talents in the league if he can be a little more consistent. Based on the improvements he has shown in this area during his career, I think we have every reason to believe he will reach his ceiling or close to it.
LL Cool Scott
Starter

Post#20 » by LL Cool Scott » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:16 pm

Why would anyone complain about Josh Smith? He's the one guy we've picked up in the last few years that has exceeded all expectations (maybe Horford too). He's improved dramatically every single year and he's one of the few guys in the league who busts his tail game in and game out. What's not to like?

Return to Atlanta Hawks