Start Zaza! 

Post#1 » by Harry10 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:44 am

Start Zaza... for the Orlando game

C: Zaza
PF: Horford
SF: Smith
SG: Joe
PG: Bibby

not this year, but in the past, Zaza's trick moves have worked on Dwight.

but most importantly, starting Zaza, could save Horford from early foul trouble. i would rather have Zaza pick up two quick fouls than Al. and if Zaza has to sit, Hawks can just move Al and even Smoove to guard Dwight, and just have Rich and Chil fill in the SF spot and even play Marvin at the PF spot.

Woody also has to realize that Smoove can be used to guard Dwight in stretches.

the guards also need use 4-5 of their fouls in this game.
evildallas
General Manager
And1: 0

Post#2 » by evildallas » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:32 am

Zaza does have a tendency to get on Dwight Howard's nerves. But if we are going to concede the 2 quick fouls, might as well start Solomon Jones, then sub in Zaza once the refs have gotten it out of their system a bit.
Going to donkey punch a leprechaun!
LL Cool Scott
Starter

Post#3 » by LL Cool Scott » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:47 pm

Both good points. Big Al will really become a star once he's moved to his natural position (unless we bring in a new system next year and play west coast style).
conleyorbust
Lead Assistant

Post#4 » by conleyorbust » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:50 pm

LL Cool Scott wrote:Both good points. Big Al will really become a star once he's moved to his natural position (unless we bring in a new system next year and play west coast style).

West coast style? Is that the style that those teams that win games use?
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,926

Post#5 » by tontoz » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:09 pm

I understand the logic but this is Woody we are talking about. Somehow i doubt he benches Horford after possibly his best game of the season.
Rip2137
Analyst
And1: 228

Post#6 » by Rip2137 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:11 pm

he would bench Marvin in the scenario.

I actually agree with this. he should start Zaza.

Not so much because Al Horford can't play the center(I think that should be out the window by now) but since our coach doesn't seem to understand that you don't foul out in the first half if you have two fouls or foul out in the second half with 3-4, I would rather see Horford at the 4 to abuse Rashard Lewis on the block.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,500

Post#7 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:21 pm

Man I can't wait to see what Horford does when he is moved back to his natural Power Forwrd spot. He is going to destroy.

I kinda would like to see JSmoove benched and Marvin kept in to see if he can help spread the floor on offense.
tontoz
RealGM

Post#8 » by tontoz » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:39 pm

Rip2137 wrote:he would bench Marvin in the scenario.

I actually agree with this. he should start Zaza.

Not so much because Al Horford can't play the center(I think that should be out the window by now) but since our coach doesn't seem to understand that you don't foul out in the first half if you have two fouls or foul out in the second half with 3-4, I would rather see Horford at the 4 to abuse Rashard Lewis on the block.

If Horford at center wasn't an issue we wouldn't be talking about starting Zaza against Howard. The fact is only the Nets have worse net production at center than the Hawks.

http://www.82games.com/BYPOSIT.HTM
tontoz
RealGM

Post#9 » by tontoz » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:46 pm

WTF last night Howard had only 3 pts against the Wizards in a loss.
conleyorbust
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by conleyorbust » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:04 pm

tontoz wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

If Horford at center wasn't an issue we wouldn't be talking about starting Zaza against Howard. The fact is only the Nets have worse net production at center than the Hawks.

http://www.82games.com/BYPOSIT.HTM

I think Horford is around average for a starting C this season. When you have an average starter who plays 31 minutes and possibly the worst (statistical) backups in the league than you are likely to have bad production from that spot.

The Warriors are 25th with Biedrins by the way, so by that logic all those folks that want to trade Smith to GSW for Andris might want to rethink. The Clippers are 21 with Kaman. The Hornets are 23 with Chandler. I think depth has a lot to do with it.
tontoz
RealGM

Post#11 » by tontoz » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:25 pm

The Warriors are 25th with Biedrins by the way, so by that logic all those folks that want to trade Smith to GSW for Andris might want to rethink. The Clippers are 21 with Kaman. The Hornets are 23 with Chandler. I think depth has a lot to do with it.

I was never on the Smith for Biedrins bandwagon.

Keep in mind that Kaman and Biedrins have been hurt. TT was playing center for the Clipps the last time we played them. Depth is certainly an issue.

Beidrins is 9th in the league in PER among centers
Kaman 11th
Chandler 12th

Horford is 30th

I think people are getting carried away thinking about what Horford can do in time. He is showing progress but the reality is that he is averaging 10 ppg.

The good thing is that his scoring is on the upswing. However he has definitely struggled to guard bigger players.
LL Cool Scott
Starter

Post#12 » by LL Cool Scott » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:15 pm

tontoz wrote:
I think people are getting carried away thinking about what Horford can do in time. He is showing progress but the reality is that he is averaging 10 ppg.

The good thing is that his scoring is on the upswing. However he has definitely struggled to guard bigger players.

He's playing out of position. Plus, he seems to be getting as the year goes on, rather than hitting a wall like many rookies. I think that's why people (at least me) are so high on his upside. Put him against 4's on a nightly basis and I think he's our best player in 2 years or less. I actually think he's the most talented player we've had since Dominique.
tontoz
RealGM

Post#13 » by tontoz » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:23 pm

He's playing out of position.

which has been my point all along. However we will have to play him at center some as long as Smith is here.

Horford is starting to change the way he plays offensively. Early in the season he was pissing me off constantly trying to back down and shoot over bigger players, resulting in turnovers or bricks.

Lately he is showing more confidence in his midrange shot. He is starting to drive at times which he needs to do to force the defenders to move laterally. Once he gets them on the move then he has leverage on them since he is moving forward and they are moving sideways.

I like his fadeaway from close range and would like to see more of it. He seems a bit too reliant on his jump hook which can easily be thrown off by contact and is tough to shoot over taller players. It may be that he is only comfortable shooting his fadeaway when he goes left. I will have to watch and see if he ever shoots it moving to his right.

He also needs to use fakes more often on bigger players.He did a nice one against Haywood the other night for a score.

His biggest improvement has been at the foul line, which will become more of a factor when he becomes more aggressive.
Harry10
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#14 » by Harry10 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:31 pm

some people made a good point.... Hawks need to try to work Lewis in the post, weather it be Horford, or Smith, or even Marvin should post him up and back him down.

to be honest, the biggest reason why the Hawks lost in the last meeting was because of Bibby, but i'm not really blaming him. they put Joe on Nelson, which i agree with, so that force Bibby to be guard who ever the 2 was. so in that situation, Bibby was guarding a guy who was not only bigger but also faster then him, and i remember him getting alot of lay ups and 3s.

so really the Hawks need to look at this line up:

C: Zaza
PF: Horford
SF: Smith
SG: Marvin/Chil
PG: Joe
JoshB914
Head Coach
And1: 2

Post#15 » by JoshB914 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:45 pm

I love how everyone here has conveniently ignored how well Zaza has been playing. What other single player will we blame our losses on now?
tontoz
RealGM

Post#16 » by tontoz » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:58 pm

JoshB914 wrote:I love how everyone here has conveniently ignored how well Zaza has been playing. What other single player will we blame our losses on now?

:rofl:

Just because he has one game where he isn't a train wreck doesn't mean he is playing well. That was his first double figure game in a month.

This month he is averaging 4.3 ppg shooting 43%. Last month it was 4.7 shooting 40%. And of course that doesn't even take into account his lousy D and turnovers.
Skyhawk1
Starter
And1: 102

Post#17 » by Skyhawk1 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:58 pm

I have nothing bad to say about Horford's game at C. He's been terrific all year long. He's probably the only guy on this team that you know what you will get every night due to his consistency. I'm very disappointed in Marvin's defense effort lately. He's too slow and can't play good D on and off the ball. Last night he got schooled pretty much every time. But the problem here is, if you play J. Smith at the 3, we have no perimeter shooting once they drive to the basket. Anyway, I think that's an experience we should try. If you think that the Magic play with no real PF, I guess Horford would eat them live.
GO HAWKS.
JoshB914
Head Coach
And1: 2

Post#18 » by JoshB914 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:01 pm

tontoz wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

:rofl:

Just because he has one game where he isn't a train wreck doesn't mean he is playing well. That was his first double figure game in a month.

This month he is averaging 4.3 ppg shooting 43%. Last month it was 4.7 shooting 40%. And of course that doesn't even take into account his lousy D and turnovers.

I know but Zaza has been much better lately. He's started to look like the old Zaza in the last four games. He's getting rebounds and doing the dirty work, and that has been HUGE for us. I hope he keeps it up.
Retrovision
Pro Prospect
And1: 1

Post#19 » by Retrovision » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:04 pm

I wasn't going to log in, just surf the boards like usual. Then i saw Start Zaza!. I have one thing to say about that.

GO KILL YOURSELF!!!!!!!!!!
Rip2137
Analyst
And1: 228

Post#20 » by Rip2137 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:48 pm

Zaza has still been playing horrid defense. The only difference is that he his getting some hustle point now, which is nice and all, but its not helping that he isn't rotating AT ALL on defense.

But at the same time, that is what you get out of Zaza anyway. he has never been a good defender and never will be. If he continues to play like this as our backup, I am fine with it though. But honestly, i don't think he is doing anything that Solomon Jones couldn't do with his minutes, plus Solo can block shots.

And I think I need to say it again, the difference between Center and PF is so negligible that it isn't even worht mentioning right now. Most of the "centers" in the NBA are power forward size. Joe Johnson or Josh smith for most nights are the pivot position on offense and Horford has done a damn fine job defending the Center position this year.

It always puzzles me when people say we should get a real center like Biedrens when he is just a inch taller, weighs less, and is putting up basically the same numbers as Horford only shooting a better percentage.

I just don't get it. If you want to move Horford over, who is the guy that is going to give you better output at the position. And would Horford be able to out perform Smith at the PF? At the end of the day, I think they are at the best position production wise.

Return to Atlanta Hawks