ImageImage

Who wants BK back next year?

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Do you want BK back as GM after his contract expires this offseason?

Yes
27%
No
73%

Total votes: 15

LL Cool Scott
Starter
And1: 0

Who wants BK back next year? 

Post#1 » by LL Cool Scott » Tue Apr 8, 2008 7:02 pm

Just an informal poll...
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,929

Re: Who wants BK back next year? 

Post#2 » by tontoz » Tue Apr 8, 2008 8:30 pm

LL Cool Scott wrote:Just an informal poll...

I only vote in formal polls so i have to abstain.

j/k. i can't imagine why anyone would want either one of these clowns back.
JoshB914
Head Coach
And1: 2

Post#3 » by JoshB914 » Tue Apr 8, 2008 8:32 pm

Who voted yes?
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,929

Post#4 » by tontoz » Tue Apr 8, 2008 8:38 pm

JoshB914 wrote:Who voted yes?

Maybe BK has a relative who reads the board.
LL Cool Scott
Starter

Post#5 » by LL Cool Scott » Wed Apr 9, 2008 6:13 pm

25 % approval rating. A tad higher than I expected.
M301E814W404
Junior

Post#6 » by M301E814W404 » Wed Apr 9, 2008 7:26 pm

Honestly, this team is about set and doesnt really need a gm. He has left everyone with a bad taste in their mouts and it is simply time for change.
conleyorbust
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by conleyorbust » Wed Apr 9, 2008 7:31 pm

M301E814W404 wrote:Honestly, this team is about set and doesnt really need a gm.

Every team needs a GM.

The main difference between the KG era TWolves and the Duncan era Spurs has been RC Buford's ability to find quality players for cheap who fit the system. McHale found average (at best) players and paid them a lot of money in long contracts and killed flexibility.

The Hawks have a core that I kind of like in Joe, Josh S, and Al. I'd like to see a GM come in and put the right peices around these guys.
Master8492
Pro Prospect

Post#8 » by Master8492 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:17 am

I like the team that he's built. I want to see how the team does with a good --- or average --- coach before berating him.
evildallas
General Manager

Post#9 » by evildallas » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:28 am

This team doesn't have much depth. Part of it is not being an attractive destination, but part of the blame goes to the coaching staff, and part of the blame goes to the front office. With players coming off rookie deals and getting paid, the team needs a hard working GM to fill in the bench on a budget. We need someone out there identifying steals and other opportunities. Hawks don't have a draft pick right now, but a good GM would still be identifying which players can come in and help this team. Often late first rounders can be bought or acquired for a future pick, I like to think our GM would know if a move can be made and if a move should be made.

In addition to underachieving on lottery picks, BK never finds 2nd round gold. He's routinely passed on players who can contribute (and do for other teams) to miss often at the same position. The undrafted players who've stuck are Mario West, who played at Tech and fell into the Hawks hands as a convenient invite, and Jeremy Richardson, who's gotten 10 days around the league raising his visibility. Is our team even turning over stones?

Just resigning our free agents and staying healthy next year should get us to 6th or 7th in the East, but probably not much higher without filling gaps and getting some depth at key spots. Not to mention what might happen if we can't stay healthy or the log jam of teams we are competing with improve. We still need a GM. There is work still to be done by someone. My vote against BK is that he hasn't shown much skill in the tasks that now face him. Of course with our ownership structure, we may just not be able to act quick enough as an organization in order to make draft night moves or get to the right undrafted free agents before other teams make their moves.
Going to donkey punch a leprechaun!
JoshB914
Head Coach
And1: 2

Post#10 » by JoshB914 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:27 am

^^^ And on J-Rich, it took the Hawks an entire year to realize what they were missing. I have no clue why he wasn't on this roster last year after his two 10-day contracts, he played very well and clearly showed he could can cut it in this league with some development. Unfortunately he is a year behind that development curve because of our mistake.
conleyorbust
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by conleyorbust » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:07 pm

evildallas wrote:This team doesn't have much depth. Part of it is not being an attractive destination, but part of the blame goes to the coaching staff, and part of the blame goes to the front office. With players coming off rookie deals and getting paid, the team needs a hard working GM to fill in the bench on a budget. We need someone out there identifying steals and other opportunities. Hawks don't have a draft pick right now, but a good GM would still be identifying which players can come in and help this team. Often late first rounders can be bought or acquired for a future pick, I like to think our GM would know if a move can be made and if a move should be made.

In addition to underachieving on lottery picks, BK never finds 2nd round gold. He's routinely passed on players who can contribute (and do for other teams) to miss often at the same position. The undrafted players who've stuck are Mario West, who played at Tech and fell into the Hawks hands as a convenient invite, and Jeremy Richardson, who's gotten 10 days around the league raising his visibility. Is our team even turning over stones?

Just resigning our free agents and staying healthy next year should get us to 6th or 7th in the East, but probably not much higher without filling gaps and getting some depth at key spots. Not to mention what might happen if we can't stay healthy or the log jam of teams we are competing with improve. We still need a GM. There is work still to be done by someone. My vote against BK is that he hasn't shown much skill in the tasks that now face him. Of course with our ownership structure, we may just not be able to act quick enough as an organization in order to make draft night moves or get to the right undrafted free agents before other teams make their moves.

On top of that, our team still doesn't have an identity most nights. We sort of had one before the Bibby trade as a decently tough defensive team. We aren't really a running team because we still don't have great fast break pg (although we are better at it), we don't have the shooters to space the floor in the half for our bigs to work, we don't have perimeter defenders that we can play for extended minutes, we still have a lot of holes to fill that could have been filled pretty easily the depth stuff/role players in the starting lineup are the difference between where we are now and the 5th seed, or better.

Return to Atlanta Hawks