ImageImage

Acie Law??

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,929

Post#121 » by tontoz » Thu May 8, 2008 7:39 pm

Of course inconsistent minutes can have an effect.

And so can injuries. Since those two things have an effect that is why statistical arguments are so weak.

But Acie had to deal with what almost all rooks work with.

But Rondo didn't have that problem. He didn't get hurt either. He played over twice as many minutes in his rookie year as Law which again makes statistical comparisons weak.
trickydik
Junior
And1: 0

Post#122 » by trickydik » Thu May 8, 2008 7:42 pm

acie will be just fine , i'm sure this summer league will help him out , and with his first year behind him and more time to gel with the team and understand the plays.

i see a improvement with the team this next year.

marvin will improve
horford will score more
acie will play more and will improve.

you can't be quick to get rid of someone who is in his first year in the nba. law will come around , he will find his role with the team , all he needs is some time.
JoshB914
Head Coach
And1: 2

Post#123 » by JoshB914 » Thu May 8, 2008 7:52 pm

Very true, Tontoz. Rondo definetely benefited from being on a team that was going in the tank. He was able to get valuable PT because his team was bad.

All I'm saying is that Rondo has clearly shown the ability to be a starting PG in this league while Law has not. Seriously, post a Rondo-Law comparison on player comparisons and I guaranteed anyone arguing for Law gets laughed at.
trickydik
Junior

Post#124 » by trickydik » Thu May 8, 2008 7:55 pm

rondo may be better now , but in 3 years i'm willing to bet that law's better is better then rondo's better :)
NDaATL
Lead Assistant
And1: 533

Post#125 » by NDaATL » Thu May 8, 2008 7:56 pm

JoshB914 wrote:All I'm saying is that Rondo has clearly shown the ability to be a starting PG in this league while Law has not. Seriously, post a Rondo-Law comparison on player comparisons and I guaranteed anyone arguing for Law gets laughed at.

Noone ever said that. You were the one that said Rondo showed all these flashes as a rookie when in fact their PER's were almost identical. Law showed every bit as much as Rondo did last year.
JoshB914
Head Coach

Post#126 » by JoshB914 » Thu May 8, 2008 8:02 pm

PER is one thing, I see we're going back to stats again. But if you just listened to opinions there were many who thought highly of Rondo. Obviously a big reason for this is Rondo got to play more and the C's get a lot more exposure. I also watched the C's last year (League Pass is the best thing ever) and I feel he had a much better season.

I'm just disputing the post that Law is a better prospect than Rondo. We've already been over the Law stuff regarding his abilities, but I think it's ridiculous to compare him to Rondo at this point as a prospect.
tontoz
RealGM

Post#127 » by tontoz » Thu May 8, 2008 8:03 pm

JoshB914 wrote:

All I'm saying is that Rondo has clearly shown the ability to be a starting PG in this league while Law has not.

No he hasn't. All he has to do right now is not turn the ball over, play D and make an occassional open shot.

If he had to play on a normal team it would be a completely difference story. What if he actually had to create for himself or others?

he hasn't even remotely proven that he can do that. Five assists in 30 minutes? Please
killbuckner
RealGM

Post#128 » by killbuckner » Thu May 8, 2008 8:06 pm

Where do you get the idea that their PER's were almost identical? Acie's was 7.73 where Rondo's was 13.16.
conleyorbust
Lead Assistant

Post#129 » by conleyorbust » Thu May 8, 2008 8:07 pm

NDaATL wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Noone ever said that. You were the one that said Rondo showed all these flashes as a rookie when in fact their PER's were almost identical. Law showed every bit as much as Rondo did last year.

PER means player efficiency rating and it is an amalgamation of all the box score statistics. It isn't perfect but it did say that Acie was a lot worse than Rondo. I think you were just mistaken in your understanding of it though.
JoshB914
Head Coach

Post#130 » by JoshB914 » Thu May 8, 2008 8:07 pm

Rondo is better than Bibby, Bibby is better than Law. That's how I'm looking at this.

Would you really have rather had Acie starting over Bibby during the playoff push? Because that's what you're implying by saying he's better than Rondo.
tontoz
RealGM

Post#131 » by tontoz » Thu May 8, 2008 8:15 pm

JoshB914 wrote:Rondo is better than Bibby, Bibby is better than Law. That's how I'm looking at this.

Would you really have rather had Acie starting over Bibby during the playoff push? Because that's what you're implying by saying he's better than Rondo.

Would i have started Law (with a wrap on his hand) over bibby? no. But i definitely would have played him more minutes, especially during the playoffs. And i certainly would have started him (when healthy) over AJ and Lue.

I don't know how good Acie is right now because he was out twice with injuries, played hurt a lot and got few minutes. But using statistical arguments against him just doesn't make sense.

I will say that if Bibby had gotten hurt and couldn't play in the Boston series i have no doubt that Acie would have performed better than Bibby did. it would be nearly impossible to be worse.
JoshB914
Head Coach

Post#132 » by JoshB914 » Thu May 8, 2008 8:21 pm

Agreed on the stats, it's hard to judge players like Acie with just numbers.
trickydik
Junior

Post#133 » by trickydik » Thu May 8, 2008 8:26 pm

wait till acie starts getting regular minutes , i mean rondo is the starting pg , acie didn't play every day , just look at the game log and his minutes thru the year.

when acie's minutes are more consistant then we can start comparing , right now rondo is easily better because he's playing 30 minutes a game and acie is lucky to get any minutes.
NDaATL
Lead Assistant

Post#134 » by NDaATL » Thu May 8, 2008 8:36 pm

conleyorbust wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

PER means player efficiency rating and it is an amalgamation of all the box score statistics. It isn't perfect but it did say that Acie was a lot worse than Rondo. I think you were just mistaken in your understanding of it though.

Sorry about that, I meant that their per40 numbers of points and assists were almost identical. Acie was a better FT shooter and turns it over less, Rondo averaged slightly more assists.
NDaATL
Lead Assistant

Post#135 » by NDaATL » Thu May 8, 2008 8:44 pm

JoshB914 wrote:I also watched the C's last year (League Pass is the best thing ever) and I feel he had a much better season.

So with league pass last year, you chose to watch the worst team in the league that was in tank mode and had no fans in the stands? I have a hard time believing that.

Rondo turned it over more as a rookie on a per minute basis, couldn't shoot, couldn't make free throws, and was worse at finishing inside than Law. He was a good defender and that was it. He did not show more flashes than Law, there were just a lot of people that believed in his game as many do here with Acie.

Will Acie ever become a legit starting PG? Who knows, but he needs to be given a chance and I think he will when given the opportunity.
HoopsGuru25
General Manager
And1: 3

Post#136 » by HoopsGuru25 » Thu May 8, 2008 9:46 pm

Rondo stood out last year because he was a great defender on one of the worst teams in the league last year. As offensive players they are close...I think Rondo is quicker but Law has a better jumpshot(although he sucked at that this year but his college shooting numbers indicate that was a fluke). You can't compare their PER or Per 40 numbers w/o mentioning that Rondo is probably one of the top defenders at his position and this is coming from a Law fan.
conleyorbust
Lead Assistant

Post#137 » by conleyorbust » Thu May 8, 2008 9:52 pm

So with league pass last year, you chose to watch the worst team in the league that was in tank mode and had no fans in the stands? I have a hard time believing that.

Rondo turned it over more as a rookie on a per minute basis, couldn't shoot, couldn't make free throws, and was worse at finishing inside than Law. He was a good defender and that was it. He did not show more flashes than Law, there were just a lot of people that believed in his game as many do here with Acie.

Will Acie ever become a legit starting PG? Who knows, but he needs to be given a chance and I think he will when given the opportunity.

Josh has mentioned before that he likes Boston. I believe it.
JoshB914
Head Coach

Post#138 » by JoshB914 » Fri May 9, 2008 12:59 am

Boston was my number two team because I have family from there. I also love watching Al Jefferson, and they were in contention with us during the tanking race.
NDaATL
Lead Assistant

Post#139 » by NDaATL » Fri May 9, 2008 2:43 am

Fair enough, but he still wasn't so much better than Law as you and KB were trying to make out.

Rondo is definitely a better defender, but Law is a good defender by himself, he stays in front of his man and pressures them all the way up the floor. Stealing numbers don't reflect it but he plays very good D.
tontoz
RealGM

Post#140 » by tontoz » Wed May 14, 2008 6:15 pm

M301E814W404 wrote:I don't know about you guys, but he is never going to learn a thing under Bibby. I think we should give him the keys to the car. Let hir run this team and learn on the fly. I think he has the bball IQ to do it, unlike other highly drafted point guards who did well in college solely based on athleticism. Law has the ability to be deceptively quick and can get to the rim. He also has the ability to creat plays for others. I think if you give hime the confidence to succede, without worrying about him having a quick hook, he can do even more next year than Rondo did this year for the Celtics.

Thoughts???

We just had a 12 page thread on Acie. I think everyone made their views clear in that thread.

Return to Atlanta Hawks