ImageImage

Carmelo anyone??

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

geeman
Senior
And1: 3

Carmelo anyone?? 

Post#1 » by geeman » Fri May 9, 2008 7:03 pm

Carmelo for /Marvin/Jsmith or /Marvin/Bibby ????
Rip2137
Analyst
And1: 228

Post#2 » by Rip2137 » Fri May 9, 2008 7:05 pm

Marvin and Bibby maybe. Thats about as far as i would go.

He only plays on one side of the court and will break a play to get his shots up just because. I am not overly impressed with him.

You DON"T trade Josh Smith for Carmelo freakin Anthony though.
killbuckner
RealGM
And1: 0

Post#3 » by killbuckner » Fri May 9, 2008 7:06 pm

Rip- you know if the Nuggets offered Carmelo for Josh Smith that it would be accepted in an instant right? As long as you are saying that you personally wouldn't do the deal thats fine, but as far as actual value goes Carmelo is worth more.
Rip2137
Analyst

Post#4 » by Rip2137 » Fri May 9, 2008 7:11 pm

No...not really.

Josh Smith is a 22 year old that can affect the game on both ends. Carmelo is a scorer and a scorer only. Even ignoring DUI's, Stop Snitchin DVD's, quitting in the playoffs and throwing girly punches and running, you can't assume people would trade a guy that is a all around better player for a guy that is purely a scorer just because.

Plus that would leave the team with a hole in the front court. We have a starting small forward and no replacement for Smith in the front court.

The only person that would accept that in a instant would be a moron.

Lets not be confused here. Josh Smith is a all around better player than Anthony, and honestly is a bigger prospect with a bigger upside and contractually would be a better deal than Anthony.
betta1
Sixth Man

Post#5 » by betta1 » Fri May 9, 2008 7:22 pm

I agree...I wouldn't trade Smoove for Melo even if Melo is valued more in certain circles. Marvin/Bibby for Melo I'd do in a heartbeat though.
conleyorbust
Lead Assistant

Post#6 » by conleyorbust » Fri May 9, 2008 7:23 pm

killbuckner wrote:Rip- you know if the Nuggets offered Carmelo for Josh Smith that it would be accepted in an instant right? As long as you are saying that you personally wouldn't do the deal thats fine, but as far as actual value goes Carmelo is worth more.

Melo is definitely worth more, if only for the marketing stuff. I found it interesting that Melo doesn't have a positive effect on his team's +/-. He is really a terrible defender, he'd definitely fit in better on offense though. He plays like Smith on offense except he has a lot more finesse and a really nice midrange J.

I know we would almost have to do this deal if it was offered, I'd just hope we didn't. If Melo can't keep himself out of trouble in Denver, I don't want to imagine the negative press he'd get in the A, they are gonna be huntin for high profile "trouble makers" after MV.

Anyway, our offense would improve immensely and our defense would take a really big hit. Offense is more important and it puts people in seats.

killbuckner, I know you are a stat fan. You realize that Melo has a bad +/-, doesn't have much of a gap on Smith in terms of PER, is regressing as opposed to improving...

Its a no brainer from a marketing perspective but the basketball aspect is more complicated than you make it seem.

EDIT: and much like the Kaman deal, Denver is a bad fit for Smith because they have an unmovable player who is like a poor injured man's Josh Smith in the frontcourt and they need shooters worse than we do so Smith can't play at the 3.
geeman
Senior

Post#7 » by geeman » Fri May 9, 2008 7:29 pm

Starter

Melo
JSmith
Big Al
JJ
Acie

Bench

Chills
Maybe Kwame or Diop

That's pretty Dam Good!!
geeman
Senior

Post#8 » by geeman » Fri May 9, 2008 7:31 pm

I think they need cap relief 82mil cap!! damm
killbuckner
RealGM

Post#9 » by killbuckner » Fri May 9, 2008 7:31 pm

COB- I am definitely aware of the limitations of Carmelo's game. But he is a star offensive player in a league that pays dearly for offense. He is one of the most recognizable players in the league and is a definite face of a franchise. He is just worth more in trade than Josh Smith is. And for a team like the Hawks that struggles to get fans in the seats with Josh Smith on the roster, there is absolutely no question at all to me that the Hawks would GLADLY do Smith for Carmelo
Rip2137
Analyst

Post#10 » by Rip2137 » Fri May 9, 2008 7:39 pm

killbuckner wrote:COB- I am definitely aware of the limitations of Carmelo's game. But he is a star offensive player in a league that pays dearly for offense. He is one of the most recognizable players in the league and is a definite face of a franchise. He is just worth more in trade than Josh Smith is.

Except he isn't. He has taken a hit to that marketablility, and the reason he is being shopped is that he isn't the face of the franchise anymore. Iverson is/will be.

For all his faults, Iverson TRIES to play D and he is a warrior on the court and you can't point at a time he quits. The same can't be said for Allen.

Anthony is averaging one embarassing moment a year and is constantly hurting his marketability.

The Reason Josh Smith hasn't been as marketable is because he hasn't been on TV much. The Hawks have earned at least 2-3 national games next year and Joshs game as a high flying highlight reel on both end makes him a bigger potential marketing draw than the DUI having, sissy punching, stop snitcher.

From a fan GM perspective, its a no brainer. But most GM's have basketball minds and in a basketball sense, you don't make that deal.

This not even going into the fact that Smith is a hometown product and the bandwagon is going to be nice and full at the start of next year.
Sultanofatl
Pro Prospect
And1: 159

Post#11 » by Sultanofatl » Fri May 9, 2008 7:53 pm

as a fan I don't make this deal. But as a GM.....of course you make the Smoove for Melo quick before the Nuggets change their mind...throw in Marvin and Zaza see if we can get Nene.

Bibby
Johnson
Melo
AL
Nene
is better than

Bibby
JJ
Marvin
JJ
AL

You've got a legit 1-4 on the
If it counts luck is worth the same as skill
conleyorbust
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by conleyorbust » Fri May 9, 2008 7:54 pm

killbuckner wrote:COB- I am definitely aware of the limitations of Carmelo's game. But he is a star offensive player in a league that pays dearly for offense. He is one of the most recognizable players in the league and is a definite face of a franchise. He is just worth more in trade than Josh Smith is. And for a team like the Hawks that struggles to get fans in the seats with Josh Smith on the roster, there is absolutely no question at all to me that the Hawks would GLADLY do Smith for Carmelo

I acknowledged that it would be almost impossible to say no to that deal just for the marketability reasons. I was just saying that I'm happy Denver isn't in a good position to make that trade.

Interestinly enough, the people that commented on this on the trade board said that Denver wins a Melo-Smith trade.
Rip2137
Analyst

Post#13 » by Rip2137 » Fri May 9, 2008 8:01 pm

But seriously, from a marketing standpoint, it would be a dumb trade for Atlanta.

Maybe if we were in another city, then fine. But you don't trade a high flying, hometown product for a guy on a marketing lull who makes his living taking jumpshots.

Carmelo's marketability was born of his rookie season. He has been less and less marketable sense.

Strictly from a marketing sense, it would be dumb to trade a guy on the decline in public perception for a guy on the rise, especially when the guy on the rise is from the City your team is based in.

Its a bad trade on the court and its a bad trade due to possibly marketability. If you are giving up Marvin, Chill, Bibby...hell, you could give up Joe and it would be a better marketing move than giving up smith.
killbuckner
RealGM

Post#14 » by killbuckner » Fri May 9, 2008 8:24 pm

Rip- I think you are ignoring the fact that Josh Smith just doesn't draw that many fans out to the games. Carmelo would be a far bigger draw here regardless of where he grew up.
betta1
Sixth Man

Post#15 » by betta1 » Fri May 9, 2008 8:35 pm

I'm not sure I agree with that KB. Smoove is a fan favorite and I don't recall Nuggets games being packed recently to see Melo.
JoshB914
Head Coach
And1: 2

Post#16 » by JoshB914 » Fri May 9, 2008 8:36 pm

Smoove is a fan favorite yes... but how many did we average per game this season? Melo would fill up the seats. I'd still rather have Smoove though, I hate Melo's game.
betta1
Sixth Man

Post#17 » by betta1 » Fri May 9, 2008 8:36 pm

I think that speaks more about the ATL fans in general than the draw of Smoove vs. Melo.
killbuckner
RealGM

Post#18 » by killbuckner » Fri May 9, 2008 8:37 pm

Denver had the third highest road attendance in the league this year. Carmelo is a big draw no matter what you personally think of his game.
betta1
Sixth Man

Post#19 » by betta1 » Fri May 9, 2008 8:39 pm

I'm talking about ATL fans though. Seeing a team once is one thing. 41 times is another. Even during the Nique years tickets were usually readily available at the Omni.

Anyway, I'm sure the combo of AI + Melo is the real draw, not Melo alone.
JoshB914
Head Coach
And1: 2

Post#20 » by JoshB914 » Fri May 9, 2008 8:39 pm

^^^ I believe Phillips also sold out (or at least was close to it) when the Nugs came to town. A lot of fans cheering for Melo and AI as well.

Return to Atlanta Hawks