ImageImage

Gerald Green

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

trickydik
Junior
And1: 0

Gerald Green 

Post#1 » by trickydik » Tue May 13, 2008 7:15 pm

i don't know if he signed with anyone , but you think the hawks should take a shot at him ? , he would be on the cheap , i mean he was a 18th overall pick after danny granger and above hakim warrick. Or should we not even bother , i think we should take a chance on him.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2008/03/16/green_talent_hasnt_matured/
gurpilo
Junior
And1: 30

Post#2 » by gurpilo » Tue May 13, 2008 7:15 pm

Agreed he is worth a shot, he can be a capable scorer thought his attitude seems to be a concern. Anyway we need a wing player that can shoot.
HoopsGuru25
General Manager
And1: 3

Post#3 » by HoopsGuru25 » Tue May 13, 2008 7:29 pm

He should definitely be on a 15 man roster despite his flaws. He is extremely atheltic and had alot of range on his shot. The worst case scenario is that he is a taller/more athletic version of Salim. We also have alot of roster spots to fill with very little capspace. It wouldn't hurt to sign some players with actual upside like Green or O'Bryant to sit on the end of our bench.
Rip2137
Analyst
And1: 228

Post#4 » by Rip2137 » Tue May 13, 2008 7:51 pm

He doesn't have a attitude problem and noone has ever questioned his attitude. Its his attention span and basketball IQ which no one has ever been able to crack.

I would give him a shot though. Just because he isn't a cancer and his athletisim and shooting ability warrents an opportunity.
evildallas
General Manager

Post#5 » by evildallas » Tue May 13, 2008 8:29 pm

I'm actually not seeing the value in bringing in Gerald Green, however I am all for Patrick O'Bryant or Chris Marcus as bigs. Green as a wing is physically talented, but I just don't get the impression that he's gotten serious enough about basketball to make a contribution to a roster. It didn't take the Rockets very long to decide that he couldn't help them last year.

The way I figure the roster (barring trades) is:
Starters
Bibby
Johnson
Williams
Smith
Horford

2nd team
Law
West
Childress
Andersen
Zaza

3rd team
Richardson G/F
Solomon PF/C

I've added Andersen (which I assume eats a lot of the MLE) and removed Salim. That leaves 3 roster spots without trading anyone, ideally I like to add a PG, a bruising PF, and a 7 foot shot blocker. Well ideally, I'd be interested in a couple of trades to change the makeup of the team, but for the sake of arguments I'll skip looking at the end of the bench for development. It might be a good time to try to acquire some late first or early 2nd round picks. Looking at some of the names on NBADraft.net, I see Koufas and Hibbert as 1st round value bigs (meaning in the 20s) and PFs Dorsey, White, and Hendrix along with Ty Lawson at PG in the 2nd. Also Bill Walker is shown as a 2nd rounder, which might be excellent value once he recovers fully from the injury that delayed his rookie year a bit.

I hope we have enough Exception left to make a run at a veteran contributor, but we might not. Regardless, I could see 2 development spots at the end of the bench by selectively mining the 2nd round. Something that BK never did, but teams like Detroit and Utah have thrived on.
Going to donkey punch a leprechaun!
conleyorbust
Lead Assistant

Post#6 » by conleyorbust » Tue May 13, 2008 8:37 pm

I imagine Green will get some sort of offer. Will he be cheaper than Richardson? Is he better? Is Woody more likely to use him?
trickydik
Junior

Post#7 » by trickydik » Tue May 13, 2008 9:10 pm

i would atleast bring him in , i mean he is just sitting there , is there a way we can sign him and send him over to our d-league or something.

don't know how it works out but i think the hawks should atleast see what he's got.
td00
Sixth Man
And1: 70

2 comments 

Post#8 » by td00 » Wed May 14, 2008 3:59 am

Now, if Gerald hasn't been able to show his abilities thus far, does anyone think he is going to be 'coached-up' if he comes here?
Who comes here and actually has played better than other places?
Maybe JJ, but he is getting the rock and as many minutes as he wants.

If you can show me that someone improves by coming to play under Woody, I will stop all the criticism that I have layed on him the last 4 years.

Gerald Green, Kwame Brown, and the other underachievers who haven't played well since they came into this league aren't going to step up all of a sudden as a Hawk.

I just don't see it; we need some good talent, but that talent will have to be able to compete for a starting job or they won't come here.
JoshB914
Head Coach
And1: 2

Post#9 » by JoshB914 » Wed May 14, 2008 3:36 pm

^^^ GG is only 22 years old, I wouldn't compare him to Kwame just yet. The issue is that he needs to motivate himself, if he does that he could be a decent role player.
conleyorbust
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by conleyorbust » Wed May 14, 2008 4:13 pm

JoshB914 wrote:^^^ GG is only 22 years old, I wouldn't compare him to Kwame just yet. The issue is that he needs to motivate himself, if he does that he could be a decent role player.

Kwame is more useful than Green at this point, at least he tries hard on D.
Rip2137
Analyst

Post#11 » by Rip2137 » Wed May 14, 2008 5:41 pm

Kwame is only 25. I mean, geez, the kid isn't old.

Kwame is one of the best post defense big men in the league right now. The problem is that because he was a number one pick, people keep wanting him to produce offensively, and while he has some small tools, he will never be an offensive force. Once he and whoever is coaching him accepts that, he will be fine.
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#12 » by chrbal » Wed May 14, 2008 7:07 pm

Rip2137 wrote:Kwame is only 25. I mean, geez, the kid isn't old.

Yeah, but hes 7 seasons into the NBA. Not to mention, he was handed an easy gig with the Grizzlies and did nothing with it.

His best season, 03-04 was not that great. I can see why people would look at Joe Smiths success and think maybe Kwame can do something like that, but I honestly think people should look more at Michael Olowkandis' career when they analyze Kwame.

But, if I ran the Hawks and I could get Kwame for about $3 mil a year...i'd probably sign him.
td00
Sixth Man

I don't want either 

Post#13 » by td00 » Wed May 14, 2008 7:30 pm

We are talking about needing some veteran experience I hope.
Getting GG and KB IMO doesn't fulfill either need.

Both are underachievers and even though they came highly touted out of high school, they have their salaries to comfort them when they reach 30 because I don't see either making that big of a contribution at this stage.

LA was more than ready to get rid of Kwame, and Jordan just didn't show him any love after he traded him. The Wizards got the best of that deal easy with Caron Butler.

GG was sent to Minnesota and can he even get in the game for the worst team in the league? This was his chance to shine. So far, his dunk creativity will be all he will be remembered for if he doesn't get busy and get the right people helping him.

I just think we are just as good with Zaza and Chills off the bench than these 2, because neither should start for the Hawks.

And again, Woody hasn't been known to 'coach up' people.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,064

Post#14 » by HMFFL » Wed May 14, 2008 8:15 pm

Gerald Green would still help provide us with another 3 ball off the bench. I'm unsure how he would do inside the locker room or if he would accept Joe's introducing him to ping-pong. I do know, we don't have enough depth on our bench, and GG could provide us with a punch. The downfall is his low basketball IQ and short temper.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,064

Re: I don't want either 

Post#15 » by HMFFL » Wed May 14, 2008 8:20 pm

td00 wrote:We are talking about needing some veteran experience I hope.

I'm starting to look past veteran help at this point and I'm starting to think it's overrated. Many contenders continue to add veteran players that do nothing to move the team forward. Dallas found that out first hand this past season, but Phoenix's Grant Hill is the rare veteran that's hard to find, and it's going to be very difficult for us to find someone anyway with our limited resources.
Rip2137
Analyst

Re: I don't want either 

Post#16 » by Rip2137 » Wed May 14, 2008 11:33 pm

td00 wrote:We are talking about needing some veteran experience I hope.

Both are underachievers and even though they came highly touted out of high school, they have their salaries to comfort them when they reach 30 because I don't see either making that big of a contribution at this stage.

LA was more than ready to get rid of Kwame, and Jordan just didn't show him any love after he traded him. The Wizards got the best of that deal easy with Caron Butler.

GG was sent to Minnesota and can he even get in the game for the worst team in the league? This was his chance to shine. So far, his dunk creativity will be all he will be remembered for if he doesn't get busy and get the right people helping him.

I just think we are just as good with Zaza and Chills off the bench than these 2, because neither should start for the Hawks.

And again, Woody hasn't been known to 'coach up' people.

Thats kinda a wierd way to look at it. he went to Minnesota and couldn't get PT so thats on him? they had Randy Foye, Rashad McCants, Marko Jaric, Corey Brewer, Sebastian Telfair, greg Buckner and Kirk Snyder all at the guard spots. That isn't a indictment on his skill or his ability. It is an indictment in the crappy job Kevin Mchale did putting together a team.

And LA being "more than ready" to get rid of Kwame is just plain twisting history. They traded him for Pau Freakin Gasol. Its not like they gave him away. He put up 8-6 1 steal and 1 block in 27 minutes and was very important to the Lakers playoff run.

His problem was that he was injured alot. But he is good at what he does. If I had to chose between Zaza and Brown, I take Brown everyday. We need a defensive big off the bench. He is a defensive big that can give you results in under 30 min per game...sounds like a perfect fit to me.
td00
Sixth Man

Kwame wants a big payday 

Post#17 » by td00 » Fri May 16, 2008 2:48 pm

But what has Kwame done in Memphis? Has he made a difference or is he just biding his time there?

I agree they just didn't get rid of him, they got Gasol. But where were they going prior to Gasol? They were improving with Bynum, but I didn't hear Kwame being considered longterm for them....they were just grappling trying to get SOMETHING for him.

You don't give him big money for 8/6/1.....sounds like a journeyman to me.

Don't get me wrong; I think he has talent. I just haven't seen any consistency out of him and again if you think Woody is going to make him better after he gets a big payday, you are mistaken.

Brown will never be a frontline factor for anyone. I think he just doesn't have the mentality to handle it. He is on his 3rd team looking to move again. Doesn't sound like a coveted veteran to me.

And if Zaza got the minutes Kwame got, he would have 8/6/1 too!

Return to Atlanta Hawks