ImageImage

Link to a Trade Proposal

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

conleyorbust
Lead Assistant
And1: 0

Re: Link to a Trade Proposal 

Post#21 » by conleyorbust » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:40 pm

mikeselectro wrote:So when Smith is healthy, the hawks start Smith/Horford at 4/5 ?
If so, you guys need a real center; how would you plan on getting one?

Is that what we need?

Smith and Horford at the 4/5 is leagues better than Horford/Zaza or Horford/Gray or Horford/Gooden.

So if our problem, in your mind, is that we need a center, how does your deal get us a center if Horford is a better center than Gray or Gooden, regardless of what position you think he should play?

That would mean that the Center problem would remain and we would lose our second best player for an inferior (in our minds) talent in Deng.
killbuckner
RealGM

Post#22 » by killbuckner » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:44 pm

Horford is better at center than anyone the Hawks have available and better than anyone on the Bulls roster. It very well could be that he would be more effective at PF, but until there is another option at center then that discussion is irrelevant.
mikeselectro
Banned User

Post#23 » by mikeselectro » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:58 pm

conleyorbust:
a) Smith/Horford might be a better 4/5 combo than the other possible 4/5 combos you named, but if atlanta is not opposed to playing horford at the 5; I don't think a Williams/Smith/Horford trio is better than a Deng/Gooden/Horford trio.
b) However, I personally wouldn't play Horford at 5. I think you guys need to move J. Smith to 3, Horford to 4, and acquire a true center that would start in front of Zaza.
conleyorbust
Lead Assistant

Post#24 » by conleyorbust » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:28 am

mikeselectro wrote:conleyorbust:
a) Smith/Horford might be a better 4/5 combo than the other possible 4/5 combos you named, but if atlanta is not opposed to playing horford at the 5; I don't think a Williams/Smith/Horford trio is better than a Deng/Gooden/Horford trio.
b) However, I personally wouldn't play Horford at 5. I think you guys need to move J. Smith to 3, Horford to 4, and acquire a true center that would start in front of Zaza.

a) that's your personal preference but our interior D would be soft as Horford and Gooden are both just so so as shotblockers and Deng isn't better than Marv to the point it would make a difference

b) that has nothing to do with this deal then - of course the problem is finding the center that has the talent to make that worth doing
mikeselectro
Banned User

Post#25 » by mikeselectro » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:06 am

so if you were to get a legit starting center,
would you move J. Smith to 3, or have horford come off the bench?
mikeselectro
Banned User

Post#26 » by mikeselectro » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:43 am

conley:
I revised the Chi/Atl trade.

*No Trade Restriction / New Revised: Trade ID #4824870

Chicago lose: Hinrich, Gooden, Noah
for
Atlanta: Josh Smith, Claxton, Murray, S. Jones, R. Morris, Gardner, M. West, O. Hunter

Bulls lineup:
D. Rose/M. West
Gordon/Murray
Deng/Nocioni/Sefolosha
Josh Smith/T. Thomas
R. Morris/Gray

Hawks lineup:
Bibby/A. Law
Johnson/Hinrich
Williams/M. Evans
Horford/Gooden
Noah/Pachulia
killbuckner
RealGM

Post#27 » by killbuckner » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:32 am

The Hawks are trading a star quality player in smith. They aren't going to do it for a bunch of backups.
mikeselectro
Banned User

Post#28 » by mikeselectro » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:36 am

hinrich is the golden child
raleigh
Head Coach
And1: 514

Post#29 » by raleigh » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:49 am

mikeselectro wrote:so if you were to get a legit starting center,
would you move J. Smith to 3, or have horford come off the bench?

I think that's the question no one wants to tackle yet...
JoshB914
Head Coach
And1: 2

Post#30 » by JoshB914 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:18 am

Hinrich/Gooden/Noah alone isn't nearly enough to get Smith.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#31 » by ecuhus1981 » Mon Dec 1, 2008 3:28 pm

It looks as though mikeselectro railroaded this thread, but the general consensus from ATL was a no. IS there anything more (within reason) that LAC could offer to make it worth ATL fans' while?
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
killbuckner
RealGM

Post#32 » by killbuckner » Mon Dec 1, 2008 7:30 pm

I'd rather have Bibby than Baron and I'd rather have Smith than Kaman. Not much else of value on the clips other than Gordon and Thornton.
Rip2137
Analyst
And1: 228

Post#33 » by Rip2137 » Tue Dec 2, 2008 3:24 pm

Baron is underperforming his current contract because he has a coach that refuses to adjust to his roster.

he no longer has a slow it down bang it down low team he had a few years ago. He has a athletic team that should be looking to outscore people.

Hell, he doesn't have a single standout defender on the team, so they aren't going to defense themselves to wins. With Davis, Thornton, um...Davis, Eric Gordon, a guy like Randolph who was hitting the jumper consistently, they should be running a up tempo offense. Instead, they have been running the offense through Kaman who sucks.

I say that to say this. Baron Davis is A: no more injury prone than Bibby and B: Better than Bibby.

So i would take that trade, but the Clippers would be morons to do that outside trying to get out of that contract.

I have already expressed the whole Smith/Kaman thing.
killbuckner
RealGM

Post#34 » by killbuckner » Tue Dec 2, 2008 3:30 pm

baron is better than bibby- but if you trade for Baron you have to take his whole contract. Baron is going to be one of the worst contracts in the league as he ages. You can sign Bibby for half of what Baron makes.
conleyorbust
Lead Assistant

Post#35 » by conleyorbust » Sun Dec 7, 2008 7:20 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:It looks as though mikeselectro railroaded this thread, but the general consensus from ATL was a no. IS there anything more (within reason) that LAC could offer to make it worth ATL fans' while?

I'm with kb on this. I don't like the LAC roster. I don't like Kaman and I don't like Baron's contract. Thornton is 25 and solid, but not special. Gordon is interesting, but I see his peak being a very nice role player (if he pans out) but not a star.

Return to Atlanta Hawks