ImageImageImage

What will Jayson Tatum become...

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Froob, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts

Wes-J
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,769

Re: What will Jayson Tatum become... 

Post#61 » by Wes-J » Fri Jul 6, 2018 1:04 am

In 5 years both Tatum and Brown will be top 10 players. Yeah both, yall heard me.

Think long and hard before wanting either one or both shipped off for current stars.
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,334

Post#62 » by celticfan42487 » Fri Jul 6, 2018 1:11 am

FlatearthZorro wrote:
Iguodaladon wrote:I don't think Hayward coming back is gonna affect Tatum's trajectory as much as people think. Hayward was the number 1 scoring option for that '16-17 Jazz team which literally had no alternative scoring options to him, and he still only took 14 shots a game for an efficient 21ppg. He's likely gonna be quite happy taking the shots the offence gives him rather than forcing the matter.

Also, Tatum has played the whole year here and really established himself as our offensive weapon during the post season. Hayward is gonna have to adjust himself to Tatum now.

If Hayward is healthy, people will be shocked as to how good he'll look on our team. Mark my words. He'll look like a superstar.

I think the thing that shocked people most in the regular season about Tatum was his efficiency in his scoring... well Hayward was the king of efficient scoring. Both have proven they can play off the ball just well.

People are going to be shocked when they watch the team and both Hayward as well as Tatum never have the ball in their hands and yet both are averaging ~ 20 ppg with 45% from 3 shooting and over 82% from the line. They'll be analytics wet dreams.
exculpatory
RealGM
And1: 11,176

Post#63 » by exculpatory » Fri Jul 6, 2018 2:27 am

Sky is the mother **** limit.

Read on Twitter
SamIam 2010: Truth's ability to play so incredibly efficiently is so UNDERAPPRECIATED. Bballcool 2012: Amazing how great Pierce has been for so long. Continues to defy age! KG 2013: P is original Celtic. Wherever he goes, we go. This is The Truth's house.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 56,114

Post#64 » by Parliament10 » Fri Jul 6, 2018 3:24 am

Wes-J wrote:In 5 years both Tatum and Brown will be top 10 players. Yeah both, yall heard me.

Think long and hard before wanting either one or both shipped off for current stars.

Top 10? -- Tatum, Definitely.
Brown? -- Top 50. Maybe Top 30.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
zronv7
Starter
And1: 1,191

Post#65 » by zronv7 » Fri Jul 6, 2018 3:44 am

Valid wrote:
The Comedian wrote:
zronv7 wrote:Better version of Tayshaun Prince

Lol, that's cute.

I'm going to assume (hope) he was being sarcastic, as Tatum's game is absolutely nothing like Prince's. lol

They're actually quite similar, explain how they're not? Not like Prince was a bad player in his prime.
ddb
RealGM
And1: 11,721

Post#66 » by ddb » Fri Jul 6, 2018 3:53 am

He is already a stud. He will be even better this upcoming season, and by year 3 and beyond he will be a perennial all-star. He will feast on teams. This Celtics team is going to be insanely good. Let everyone talk about the Warriors. Just wait until Kyrie/Hayward are healthy, Horford keeps doing his thing and then you have Tatum & Brown getting better and better. It's going to be so much fun. If Kyrie stays put long-term this group has a chance to win multiple titles. Maybe as many as 3-4 If a few bounces go their way and they can also stay healthy

Sent from my SM-G930T using RealGM mobile app
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 26,991

Post#67 » by Fencer reregistered » Fri Jul 6, 2018 3:59 am

zronv7 wrote:
Valid wrote:
The Comedian wrote:
Lol, that's cute.

I'm going to assume (hope) he was being sarcastic, as Tatum's game is absolutely nothing like Prince's. lol

They're actually quite similar, explain how they're not? Not like Prince was a bad player in his prime.

I'd like to compare their styles in driving to the hoop and finishing, but I've looked at multiple minutes of Prince highlight videos now and I've seen almost no examples of him driving to hoop. So no, their offensive games aren't very similar.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
ThirtyFour
Starter
And1: 3,498

Post#68 » by ThirtyFour » Fri Jul 6, 2018 4:40 am

Just watched that highlight video from the playoffs, damn. Not a news flash but this kid is good. I wasn't really sure if he was gonna break out this first year or not. There were glimpses early on but he was obviously hesitant to take over, but man did he take over in the playoffs, showed that all star level drive.

I think he also did a good job getting in the refs ears in the playoffs when he wasn't getting calls on blatant fouls, I think he get's a much higher percentage of those calls this year. I think it's annoying that you have to self advocate to the refs, but it's the league we got.

I would also like to see Tatum and Brown be on at the same time this year more often. We saw a lot of games or even quarters where it would be one of them going off then the other would disappear.

****. Is it October yet?
“There’s a sense of pride, there’s an edge you have to have to play here. I can only imagine the love, the reception, if you hung one of those banners up. It would be incredible — it’s going to be incredible. I know it.” —Jayson Tatum
Wes-J
Assistant Coach

Post#69 » by Wes-J » Fri Jul 6, 2018 4:48 am

Parliament10 wrote:
Wes-J wrote:In 5 years both Tatum and Brown will be top 10 players. Yeah both, yall heard me.

I said give it 5 years.

They both work their ass off.
NYCelticsfan136
Veteran
And1: 1,823

Post#70 » by NYCelticsfan136 » Fri Jul 6, 2018 4:49 am

The double Js. Double the trouble. Tatum will be great but i expect jaylen brown to take a huge leap. I feel he can average 18 or 20 in his sleep next season.
Wes-J
Assistant Coach

Post#71 » by Wes-J » Fri Jul 6, 2018 5:06 am

NYCelticsfan136 wrote:The double Js. Double the trouble. Tatum will be great but i expect jaylen brown to take a huge leap. I feel he can average 18 or 20 in his sleep next season.

Not yet, with this team. But it's coming.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 90,763

Post#72 » by ConstableGeneva » Fri Jul 6, 2018 5:37 am

NYCelticsfan136 wrote:The double Js. Double the trouble. Tatum will be great but i expect jaylen brown to take a huge leap. I feel he can average 18 or 20 in his sleep next season.

Trouble-0-7 never caught on. Which makes me sad.
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 12,060

Post#73 » by FlatearthZorro » Fri Jul 6, 2018 5:46 am

Parliament10 wrote:

I think Jaylen for sure has the potential to be a top 10 player. If he comes back with slightly better handles next season, there's nothing stopping him from being a top 10 player in 2-3 years, basically. He's got the defense, the shooting ability, the speed and vertical and he's built like a greek god(no homo).
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,738

Post#74 » by cloverleaf » Fri Jul 6, 2018 10:50 am

We can hope (though I'm not seeing it for Brown).
Iguodaladon
Pro Prospect
And1: 954

Post#75 » by Iguodaladon » Fri Jul 6, 2018 11:00 am

2Mas wrote:
Iguodaladon wrote:I don't think Hayward coming back is gonna affect Tatum's trajectory as much as people think. Hayward was the number 1 scoring option for that '16-17 Jazz team which literally had no alternative scoring options to him, and he still only took 14 shots a game for an efficient 21ppg. He's likely gonna be quite happy taking the shots the offence gives him rather than forcing the matter.

Also, Tatum has played the whole year here and really established himself as our offensive weapon during the post season. Hayward is gonna have to adjust himself to Tatum now.

I'm with you. Hayward is a system guy. I think he could be a 25ppg scorer if he chucked. But he's completely fine as a 18ppg guy.

I wouldn't be surprised one bit if the shots went -- Irving, Tatum, Hayward, Brown, Horford. Morris & Smart are going to have to shoot less. We can't have 20 shots a game coming from those two. I'd like Tatum to get 15 shots a game tho. Kyrie around the 17 mark. Hayward around that 13. Brown too. Horford prob 9-10.

Leaves like 20 shots for the bench? Is that enough?

I agree on you with Smart and Morris, I think a lot of it hinges on how much those 2 are chucking. That shot distribution looks good, Tatum definitely needs around 16 shots a game. Sometimes he would make a few good shots and (like in 4th quarter Game 7) then not see the ball again- he's gonna need those shots when he's in flow
Obama to Zach Lavine: ‘I used to be able to get up like you back in the day.’
Jaren Jackson Jr on Doncic: 'I thought he was a myth'
itrsteve
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,809

Post#76 » by itrsteve » Fri Jul 6, 2018 12:12 pm

Kobe. Bump this thread in 10 years.
[quote=“dkb964”]156-1 Celtics are frauds when pressure is put on them. They would have been toast if Luka was not stupid enough to foul himself out. Enjoy this ONE finals win. There will never be another with the Js and the Celtics cant afford stacked team.[/quote]
Valid
RealGM
And1: 12,656

Post#77 » by Valid » Fri Jul 6, 2018 12:16 pm

zronv7 wrote:
Valid wrote:
The Comedian wrote:
Lol, that's cute.

Uh, well, put it this way: Jayson Tatum is already a better player than Tayshaun Prince ever was.

Their games are also not similar. Where Prince was a career role player who took what the defense gave him, Tatum is on his way to becoming a No. 1 option who will be able to get his own shot at will and get to the free-throw line regularly. No one will ever confuse Tayshaun Prince for being a bona fide scorer.

The only similarity between the two is that they are both long.
2Mas
Head Coach
And1: 3,997

Post#78 » by 2Mas » Fri Jul 6, 2018 2:11 pm

FlatearthZorro wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:

I think Jaylen for sure has the potential to be a top 10 player. If he comes back with slightly better handles next season, there's nothing stopping him from being a top 10 player in 2-3 years, basically. He's got the defense, the shooting ability, the speed and vertical and he's built like a greek god(no homo).

I don't think he top 10 potential. I think Tatum has low end top 10 potential.

To me there's like 7-10 superstars. I don't think Tatum will be in that top 3-4 kinda guy, but he could definitely get to that 7-10 range.

I don't think brown has that upside. But Top 50 is hilarious. Potential for top 30? I'm higher. If he just slightly improved over the next 3 years he'll be there in the range.

I think he has top 15 potential & could easily be in that range of 12-20. Same range as they got Lowry, Thompson, Hayward, Wall. Those type guys. Not #1 options, but ppl who make all star games type dudes.
Larry Legend 33
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,239

Post#79 » by Larry Legend 33 » Fri Jul 6, 2018 2:55 pm

Parliament10 wrote:

Lost me here. He won't be top 10, but he can settle into that top 15-25 range if he keeps working. He was drafted as a guy with a high ceiling and is already ahead of schedule.
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 9,408

Post#80 » by sam_I_am » Fri Jul 6, 2018 3:08 pm

Larry Legend 33 wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:

Lost me here. He won't be top 10, but he can settle into that top 15-25 range if he keeps working. He was drafted as a guy with a high ceiling and is already ahead of schedule.

Name 10 guys drafted in last 5 years that are better! Jaylen may not ever be as good as Lebron or Curry or Kawhi. But how many guys drafted since Kyrie in 2011 will have more upside 5 years from now? For certain you have Davis, Greek Freak, Tatum, Mitchell, Simmons, Embiid and I’ll give you Jokic (but I’m not sold). Booker? Porzingas (injuries?), KAT (defense, winner?), Gobert?. Is there anyone in this draft definitely better? Doncic? Ayton? Not sure there is. In 5 years Curry, Kawhi, Irving, Lebron, Durant, Klay, Harden, Westbrook, Lillard, Greene etc. will all be 33 or older.

So it really isn’t that hard to imagine that Brown could be top 10 if he continues to improve his game as he has so far. The outside shot is ahead of schedule and the defense is already elite for his age. The only things holding him back are the weak handle and passing. He’s only 21. Will he do it? Possibly not but he is ours to control for 6-7 more years - 2 of those on a rookie deal.
"I think the criticism's stupid," Stevens said. "So I don't care. I'm with Jaylen (Brown) on that. Those two had achieved more than most 25 and 26 year olds ever had. I'd rather be in the mix and have my guts ripped out than suck."

Return to Boston Celtics