ImageImageImage

Around the NBA (and other Sports), 2023-24, Part 4: Son of daughter of nephew of Around the NBA thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

PierceFan4ever
RealGM
And1: 40,213

Re: Around the NBA (and other Sports), 2023-24, Part 4: Son of daughter of nephew of Around the NBA thread 

Post#1261 » by PierceFan4ever » Thu May 23, 2024 3:59 am

NYCelticsfan136 wrote:
Fierce1 wrote:
NYCelticsfan136 wrote:Imagine if we see a Dallas vs Celtics and we lose to kyrie Irving? Yikes

Kyrie would tell Boston fans karma's a beach.

Still think we match up well with them. First beat Indiana.

We matchup super well with them
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 97,104

Re: Around the NBA (and other Sports), 2023-24, Part 4: Son of daughter of nephew of Around the NBA thread 

Post#1262 » by zoyathedestroya » Thu May 23, 2024 4:08 am

Timberwolves are now below-.500 at home in the playoffs in Ant era.

Ant, first 11 playoff home games: 5-6
JT, first 11 playoff home games: 10-1
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#1263 » by zoyathedestroya » Thu May 23, 2024 4:49 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:33-pt advantage from 3 without a lead. Almost unheard of.

Read on Twitter
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 26,649

Post#1265 » by Fencer reregistered » Thu May 23, 2024 5:26 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:Timberwolves are now below-.500 at home in the playoffs in Ant era.

Yes, but Ant is generally compared to present-day JT instead.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#1266 » by zoyathedestroya » Thu May 23, 2024 5:33 am

Fencer reregistered wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:Timberwolves are now below-.500 at home in the playoffs in Ant era.

Yes, but Ant is generally compared to present-day JT instead.

Still beats him there. 6-5 vs. 5-6 in last 11 games.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#1267 » by zoyathedestroya » Thu May 23, 2024 5:45 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:Conley unclutch.

Dallas steals G1.

Conley had to make first two, miss third for a chance to tie.

Read on Twitter
B8RcDeMktfxC
General Manager
And1: 5,439

Post#1268 » by B8RcDeMktfxC » Thu May 23, 2024 6:10 am

OnlyTheTruth wrote:Doncic is also one overrared player. Not much athletic. Lazy. No defense. Out of shape...chucker like Tatum....alot of these superstars get exposed come playoffs. Prime LeBron and Curry, only two players that truly could go on any team and has a high chance of winning a championship. I think we all are sometimes overrating some of these players we think are once in a life time player.

:wink:
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Analyst
And1: 7,521

Post#1269 » by Mr_Mojo_Risin » Thu May 23, 2024 6:14 am

Triple7 wrote:Luka is clutch. The will to win.

So let me see if I understand correctly:

Luka: 12/26 (33pts) / 8ast (4to) / 6reb and a -9 with some effort in sliding his feet in defense = Clutch magician superstar

Tatum: 12/26 (36pts) / 4ast (4to) / 12reb and a game high +20 with excellent defense = Useless soft mental midget in the clutch because of 0 field goals in last 9 minutes of regulation regardless of 10pts in OT

Correct?

I'm being a little disingenuous here in some ways and do think Luka is great in the clutch, more from the fact he seems calmer in the mind than JT in those situations. What I do get a little bit over in the discussion about clutch however is ignoring the entire picture given points are worth the same for the full game. If Luka had of been better earlier in the game they would not have required the clutch play, just like if JT had of been more efficient in the 4th neither would have Boston. But both had a big impact for their teams that helped them win overall.
Fierce1
RealGM
And1: 12,363

Post#1270 » by Fierce1 » Thu May 23, 2024 6:22 am

The moment of truth will come when JT and Luka face each other in the finals.
KamikazeK
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,691

Post#1271 » by KamikazeK » Thu May 23, 2024 7:03 am

Fierce1 wrote:The moment of truth will come when JT and Luka face each other in the finals.

"We have LeBron vs Kobe at home"
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 9,055

Post#1272 » by Triple7 » Thu May 23, 2024 8:19 am

Mr_Mojo_Risin wrote:

Luka: 12/26 (33pts) / 8ast (4to) / 6reb and a -9 with some effort in sliding his feet in defense = Clutch magician superstar

Tatum: 12/26 (36pts) / 4ast (4to) / 12reb and a game high +20 with excellent defense = Useless soft mental midget in the clutch because of 0 field goals in last 9 minutes of regulation regardless of 10pts in OT

Correct?

I'm being a little disingenuous here in some ways and do think Luka is great in the clutch, more from the fact he seems calmer in the mind than JT in those situations. What I do get a little bit over in the discussion about clutch however is ignoring the entire picture given points are worth the same for the full game. If Luka had of been better earlier in the game they would not have required the clutch play, just like if JT had of been more efficient in the 4th neither would have Boston. But both had a big impact for their teams that helped them win overall.

Exactly correct!
We want him to not disappear in the 4th. To actually hit shots when needed to keep us in the game. He missed two straight clutch shots in the final 30secs. 0 pts in the last 9mins won’t cut it. What he did in OT, was the thing he was supposed to do in regulation. That’s why he gets all the criticisms. He disappears in the 4th. Maybe this OT play changes everything for him. He still has a chance. We can’t win it all with JT playing like that. 4pts in the 4th???
0 in the last 9 mins, is awful.
I would rather JT score in bunches in the closing mins in the 4th on a tight game, than having a great game the first 3 quarters, when the pressure is way way less, and disappearing in the 4th.
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,595

Post#1273 » by threrf23 » Thu May 23, 2024 9:52 am

Mr_Mojo_Risin wrote:Useless soft mental midget in the clutch because of 0 field goals in last 9 minutes of regulation regardless of 10pts in OT

Correct?

It wasn't about the shots he didn't take/make (or maybe it was depending on the post you were replying to), it was about a couple of braindead turnovers and more generally about not having his head in the game at the most important moments.

He played a solid game overall but at times in the fourth it legit looked like he was trying to give the game to Indy. It was not one of his finer moments.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#1274 » by zoyathedestroya » Thu May 23, 2024 10:02 am

Read on Twitter

I'm surprised the Celtics aren't #1 on this list.
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Analyst

Post#1275 » by Mr_Mojo_Risin » Thu May 23, 2024 10:28 am

threrf23 wrote:
Mr_Mojo_Risin wrote:Useless soft mental midget in the clutch because of 0 field goals in last 9 minutes of regulation regardless of 10pts in OT

Correct?

It wasn't about the shots he didn't take/make (or maybe it was depending on the post you were replying to), it was about a couple of braindead turnovers and more generally about not having his head in the game at the most important moments.

He played a solid game overall but at times in the fourth it legit looked like he was trying to give the game to Indy. It was not one of his finer moments.

I agree with most of the criticisms of JT in isolation, what annoys me is the lack of balance ignoring a good game prior that helped us get ahead and then the adulation of other players who are **** early and great late in some games, it often amounts to the same thing for the team.
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Analyst

Post#1276 » by Mr_Mojo_Risin » Thu May 23, 2024 10:32 am

Triple7 wrote:
Mr_Mojo_Risin wrote:

Correct?

Exactly correct!
We want him to not disappear in the 4th. To actually hit shots when needed to keep us in the game. He missed two straight clutch shots in the final 30secs. 0 pts in the last 9mins won’t cut it. What he did in OT, was the thing he was supposed to do in regulation. That’s why he gets all the criticisms. He disappears in the 4th. Maybe this OT play changes everything for him. He still has a chance. We can’t win it all with JT playing like that. 4pts in the 4th???
I would rather JT score in bunches in the closing mins in the 4th on a tight game, than having a great game the first 3 quarters, when the pressure is way way less, and disappearing in the 4th.

If JT scores the same points and early and it helps us get a good lead as opposed to getting behind and scoring late to win I honestly don’t care that much. No player wins every time in the clutch so getting the lead first helps take the pressure off.

But don’t get me wrong, JT was awful in the 4th in game 1 and hasn’t had a great year overall in late game execution compared to previous years. But he has also been great many times in his career.

I’m not that worried about it (yet).
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 15,128

Post#1277 » by BK_2020 » Thu May 23, 2024 10:33 am

36-12-4 and 3 steals with elite defense and people be like "Yeah Tatum had a solid game but"
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 26,649

Post#1278 » by Fencer reregistered » Thu May 23, 2024 10:48 am

Mr_Mojo_Risin wrote:
Triple7 wrote:
Mr_Mojo_Risin wrote:So let me see if I understand correctly:

Correct?

Exactly correct!

If JT scores the same points and early and it helps us get a good lead as opposed to getting behind and scoring late to win I honestly don’t care that much. No player wins every time in the clutch so getting the lead first helps take the pressure off.

But don’t get me wrong, JT was awful in the 4th in game 1 and hasn’t had a great year overall in late game execution compared to previous years. But he has also been great many times in his career.

Including more recently than his bad offensive stretch in Q4 of the most recent game.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
The Corey's
RealGM
And1: 7,790

Post#1279 » by The Corey's » Thu May 23, 2024 10:48 am

Mr_Mojo_Risin wrote:
Triple7 wrote:
Mr_Mojo_Risin wrote:So let me see if I understand correctly:

Correct?

Exactly correct!

What's that stat looking like without Brown singlehandedly stealing that defeat in the last 10 seconds?

Also, did Tatum go off for 7 straight down by 5 to put the Celtics up for good like Luka did?

Tatum is a way better player and I think the comparison is stupid but be honest about what happened.

Tatum did miss two point blank chances to tie or win the game with under 10 to go. He makes those shots instead of Brown then the narrative would be different.

It's ok to hold Tatum to a different standard. He's supposed to be a top 10 NBA player.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 15,128

Post#1280 » by BK_2020 » Thu May 23, 2024 10:52 am

If Joe doesn't challenge that call in the first minute, the narrative would be different.
If Haliburton's bs shot doesn't go in, the narrative would be different.
If Hauser makes his 2 threes, the narrative would be different.
If Jaylen Brown makes one of his two open threes prior to the final minute, the narrative would be different.
Every moment in the game matters, and moments later in the game don't matter more than those earlier in the game.

Return to Boston Celtics