ImageImageImage

Ricky Rubio

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Froob, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts

ddb
RealGM
And1: 11,721

Ricky Rubio 

Post#1 » by ddb » Thu Jan 3, 2008 10:46 pm

The kids no longer a secret amongst NBA scouts and GM's, but for those of you who haven't seen or read anything on him, Check him out. Youtube him and enjoy.

I've heard nothing but great things about this kid. From what I've seen he looks like a Steve Nash clone- except bigger.
UGA Hayes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,108

Post#2 » by UGA Hayes » Sat Jan 5, 2008 4:00 pm

^ I don't know about Steve Nash clone. He has established quite a defensive reputation and I am under the impression that his shooting is his biggest weak spot (relatively).
BillessuR6
General Manager
And1: 2,505

Post#3 » by BillessuR6 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 4:43 pm

I have been following him since his quadruple doubles in U-16 Championships a year or two ago. One of the biggest talents in history of european basketball.

He is a great defender, he lead Euroleague last year in steals at 16 years of age! He even improved his shot considerably so there really isn`t anything he isn`t good at. And since he just turned 17 he can only get better. The sky is the limit for this kid!
azapikoa
Sophomore
And1: 105

Post#4 » by azapikoa » Sat Jan 5, 2008 6:41 pm

jjwalker
Junior
And1: 0

Post#5 » by jjwalker » Sat Jan 5, 2008 7:16 pm

if he plays in the nba he looks like a human turnover machine. Maybe he could play on the And 1 Tour
AWalkerREMIX
Starter
And1: 8

Post#6 » by AWalkerREMIX » Sat Jan 5, 2008 8:10 pm

thebirdman wrote:I have been following him since his quadruple doubles in U-16 Championships a year or two ago. One of the biggest talents in history of european basketball.

He is a great defender, he lead Euroleague last year in steals at 16 years of age! He even improved his shot considerably so there really isn`t anything he isn`t good at. And since he just turned 17 he can only get better. The sky is the limit for this kid!
That doesn't mean he is a good defender....it simply means he is quick. He'll get eaten up on the defensive end in the NBA until he puts on more weight.
John Locke
Sixth Man
And1: 38

Post#7 » by John Locke » Sat Jan 5, 2008 9:26 pm

thebirdman wrote:I have been following him since his quadruple doubles in U-16 Championships a year or two ago. One of the biggest talents in history of european basketball.

I second that! Of the games I saw him play with Joventud, he looked fantastic.
pustoolio
Junior
And1: 37

Post#8 » by pustoolio » Sun Jan 6, 2008 11:11 am

AWalkerREMIX wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

That doesn't mean he is a good defender....it simply means he is quick. He'll get eaten up on the defensive end in the NBA until he puts on more weight.

LOL, what did you expected?, he's a kid playing men's basketball, he was 14 when he started playing pro basketball and is still progressing, nobody here is saying he's ready to play in the NBA at the moment.
BillessuR6
General Manager
And1: 2,505

Post#9 » by BillessuR6 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 12:38 pm

The steal numbers themselves don`t necessary mean someone is a good defender I agree but Rubio is.

And like pustoolio said, he is still a kid. He is 17. Of course he isn`t physically ready to play in the NBA but he has been playing professional basketball at the highest level since he was 14! That is amazing.
AWalkerREMIX
Starter
And1: 8

Post#10 » by AWalkerREMIX » Sun Jan 6, 2008 3:06 pm

pustoolio wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

LOL, what did you expected?, he's a kid playing men's basketball, he was 14 when he started playing pro basketball and is still progressing, nobody here is saying he's ready to play in the NBA at the moment.
Did it sound like I was down on him? I was only down on his current defensive ability on an NBA level. Someone said he was a good defender and I disagreed. You act as if I spit in Anne Frank's face or something....
suckfish
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,273

Post#11 » by suckfish » Sun Jan 6, 2008 3:37 pm

Did it sound like I was down on him? I was only down on his current defensive ability on an NBA level. Someone said he was a good defender and I disagreed. You act as if I spit in Anne Frank's face or something....

He will definately need to bulk up, that comes with time though.

Defensively he has all the makings of a great defender, he reads the game like a novel and he is extremely quick laterally. Beef him up a bit and his speed, size and ability to read defenders will make him an awesome stopper.

Shooting is his biggest weakness. He has improved but he still shoots a set shot, if he wants to knock down jumpers over NBA defenders he will need more elevation and a better pull up jumper.

Even with out being a good shooter he will still be an extremely good guard.
UGA Hayes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,108

Post#12 » by UGA Hayes » Sun Jan 6, 2008 5:25 pm

With all due respect how do you know. I'm not under the impression that you are an international poster who has had access to a ton of his games. I could be wrong but if you are going to make bold statements I'd like to know from what experiece you are speaking from.

Return to Boston Celtics