ImageImageImage

Before we get carried away with the Celtics coming dynasty

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Parasite
Starter
And1: 2,228

Re: Before we get carried away with the Celtics coming dynasty 

Post#41 » by Parasite » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:11 pm

**** the Sixers and the way they built their squad. Nothing good should befall them. Patooey!!
ric munchn
Senior
And1: 443

Post#42 » by ric munchn » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:49 am

Whatever anyone thinks about the sixers, they are good and gonna be better. They still have plenty of draft picks coming themselves and they have the best young talent in the league. They have major injury concerns but we are gonna have to go through them to get to where we want to be at some point. I like the Celtics future better but not by much.
Fire Danny
Freshman
And1: 148

Before we get carried away with the Celtics coming dynasty 

Post#43 » by Fire Danny » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:41 am

I was in the land of the free for the first time ever last week

Caught a bus from NYC to Philadelphia to watch Philly, and namely my hometown player Simmons, take on the Mavs

Ate a Philly Cheese Steak at the half time break with 4 others. All agreed it was one of the worst tasting concoctions of all time. Actually, it was the worst

They’re not winning **** with that horrible mess as their iconic food staple

Side note - Fire Danny - He can’t draft
flintsky21
Sixth Man
And1: 2,783

Post#44 » by flintsky21 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:26 am

If they'd gotten Tatum instead of Fultz, maybe. And that would've set the Celtics back too, hitting two birds with one stone.

Thank god for Ainge.
LuckyLeprechaun
Rookie
And1: 1,333

Post#45 » by LuckyLeprechaun » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:07 am

There's way too many assumptions here. 2 of the top 5 players for the next decade if they develop, don't have injury problems, don't get past by other guys developing, and don't get past by guys not yet drafted.

I think a side by side comparison for the 2 teams going forward is in order.

Young prospects with promise:
Simmons, Embiid, Fultz, Saric vs Tatum, Brown, Rozier, Theis

On paper the 76ers win here but there's a lot of projection involved. Tatum and Brown could end up top 10 players someday themselves. Fultz has been so disappointing that Rozier might just end up better. Saric is a solid Euro big man. So is Theis.

Draft picks for Philly:
Lakers (96% chance at #10, 1.1% at #1, 2.9% it goes to Boston)
Leaving at most a 27.9% chance they get the Kings '19 pick if they are the worst team or we get Lakers.

Draft picks for Boston:
Lakers (2.9% at 2 or 3), Kings '19 at least 72.1% chance, high likelihood in the 2-8 range. Memphis '19, '20, or '21 should at worst be in the late teens, slight chance to be top 3 someday. Clippers '19 or '20 (most likely becomes a 2nd).

Boston has much better overall odds of getting another top 5 pick someday than 76ers.

Cap situation:
76ers have around 30m if they sign and trade no one, before adding the Lakers pick and their own in. Realistically they have about 25m for some combination of Reddick, Belinelli, Ilyasova and the free agent market.

Boston has only bird rights and exceptions to sign FAs for the foreseeable future. 76ers win here, but only of they get a significant player with 25m, otherwise it is really a wash in terms of flexibility.

The veteran roster:
76ers have Covington and TJ McConnell contributing, possibly Reddick, Belinelli and/or Ilyasova.

Celtics have Kyrie, Hayward, Horford, and Morris, possibly Smart, Baynes and/or Monroe.

The Celtics win in a landslide here.

In summary, 76ers have better young players on paper but the size of the gap long term is tbd, 76ers have a better cap situation, but not enough space for a max guy without getting rid of some players.

The Celtics have much better looking future draft picks and substantially better veterans who are almost all in their primes. I'll take the Celtics situation any day unless the 76ers get #1 out of either the Lakers pick or the Kings or both.
SichtingLives
RealGM
And1: 25,446

Post#46 » by SichtingLives » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:24 am

Fire Danny wrote:I was in the land of the free for the first time ever last week

Caught a bus from NYC to Philadelphia to watch Philly, and namely my hometown player Simmons, take on the Mavs

Ate a Philly Cheese Steak at the half time break with 4 others. All agreed it was one of the worst tasting concoctions of all time. Actually, it was the worst

Seriously. F a Philly cheese steak. overhyped crud. Proper Steak and Chee always was and will be where its at. OT - I saw this doc on a " chopped cheese" sandwich in NY and these dudes carrying on like they invented the thing and it's bronx or queens or whatever. typical. It's called a cheeseburger sub and every respectable pizza joint in NE been making these $hits for 100 years lol.
10 miles through the snow uphill both ways
UNCBlue012
Analyst
And1: 4,141

Post#47 » by UNCBlue012 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:34 am

Do you know what a dynasty is? As good as the Sixers will be, it's hard to even remotely compare them to someone like Golden State, who has way more talent both starter-wise and depth-wise.
JudBuchler
Rookie
And1: 787

Post#48 » by JudBuchler » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:11 pm

Just because anybody is a celtic fan does not mean you can't be realistic.

Jaylen Brown and Tatum can easily get out of town

Brown Hayward Tatum Irving looks lovely but only one ball, and also young ego's , and for the reality these guys all want the money the glory and the ball.

Im old enough to see this happen.

Too many fans today just fall in love with the young guys and think these guys are going to grow up and end career as a Celtic.

I agree that one of these guys will, I would choose Tatum, but then everything else becomes a quesiton mark.

As gloomy as this post sounds, it's more reality than all the Celtic fans shooting down a trade to bring Kawaii here, because in reality you do the trade for him if it involves Tatum or Brown, then you roll with irving hayward and Kawaii , then gradually Jaylden brown (hopefully can stay long enough) to take over the duties more so as the other guys regress a bit....
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,904

Post#49 » by FlatearthZorro » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:24 pm

Pretty much meaningless thread, I don't see how the 76ers are able to beat us if both squads are fully healthy. Hell I'd pick us over them in 7 game series right now. We've shown the ability to lock teams down and we're the best team defending the 3 point line, and we'll have homecourt if we are to face them next round(if we make it).
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,022

Post#50 » by Darth Celtic » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:50 pm

The sixers have all this cap room, but do they really? JJ, Ersan, and Bellinelli all are free agents. The last 2 aren't resigning for vet min. They were buyout players. The recent success of the team isn't because JE or BS all of a sudden learned to win games, or took a huge leap. They have been good all year, it's the shooting and spacing of the floor. They need to keep all 3 of those guys and then hopefully add 1 max player to it which I'm not sure they have the room for with JE's extension kicking in.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
robdog_5
Veteran
And1: 2,155

Post#51 » by robdog_5 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:15 pm

I agree 100% the biggest difference in Philly over year was improvement of shooting around their 2 studs. Gives them plenty of space to operate. I could see them resigning all or at least 2. They gave Riddick a boat load of money he won't get again so they can use the savings on the other 2 or 1. But they won'tbe able to go after big guns if they do that. If they go at LeBron they will have to renounce all space possible but in flipside you will get ring chasers to sign up for cheap
truth18
RealGM
And1: 42,830

Post#52 » by truth18 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:18 pm

Fire Danny wrote:I was in the land of the free for the first time ever last week

Brother you ate an actual cheese steak from Wells Fargo and lived to tell us?

Gotta hit up Jim's Steaks, Pats and Genos sre trash too.

Also I get enough Sixers discussion in my day to day life, y'all gotta chill, lol.
YOU LOSE
Elrod is Back
Starter
And1: 2,241

Post#53 » by Elrod is Back » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:21 pm

I suspect that if the Cs and Sixers swapped rosters, capspace and future draft picks (but not coaches or GMs), this entire board would think the Celtics with Embiid-Simmons was going to be the team of the 2020s.

But we will never know.

The point of the thread is not to bemoan the Cs' difficult situation, but, instead, to say that in this context Danny still has serious work to do with the roster. And I am certain he knows what he is facing with the Sixers. Danny has to be able to beat a team with the ultimate hyper-athletic and skilled 7-1 unicorn center and a 6-10 more athletic Magic Johnson clone. Right now our roster does not appear to have the personnel for effective match-ups. It will be really interesting how this plays out assuming the Cs and Sixers meet in the next round, which seems likely. And as much as I love Kyrie and Hayward, I am not sure they answer the match-up problems Philly poses.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,235

Post#54 » by djFan71 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:36 pm

Elrod is Back wrote:I suspect that if the Cs and Sixers swapped rosters, capspace and future draft picks (but not coaches or GMs), this entire board would think the Celtics with Embiid-Simmons was going to be the team of the 2020s.

If you could swap front offices as well, I'd agree. Brown is pretty solid, just hasn't had much to work with til now. But, I'm sure even the most optimistic sixers fan fears deep down that Colangelo will find a way to screw this up. Whereas we just assume Danny will make it work somehow at this point.
Celtics_History_Lesson
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,267

Post#55 » by Celtics_History_Lesson » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:44 pm

Elrod is Back wrote:
Celtics_History_Lesson wrote:
Also, Bird and McHale were two of the top 5 players in the NBA at one point.

One year: 1987. That was McHale's career year. The Cs lost in the finals to the best of the Magic Laker teams. The Cs were totally banged up in the Finals, with Bird, McHale, Parish all playing with pretty serious injuries.

1983-84, 1984-85, 1985-86, 1986-87, Bird and McHale would have been ranked in the top 5 of the NBA for Win Shares, per minute. A way to see players who get numbers while winning, compared to empty stats other have.

Other stats had them among the elite of the NBA for half a decade, together. Bird was always up in any stats at the very top, McHale was still among the top 10 for a few more seasons after that great four years. 1987-88, Bird top 5, McHale 7th for Win Shares, per minute. McHale led the NBA for Offensive Rating that year too.
Havlicek17
Pro Prospect
And1: 171

Post#56 » by Havlicek17 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:22 am

I could see us playing Philly in the playoffs every year like we did in the 80's with Bird vs. Dr J and company.

Both teams have a lot of young talent and more draft picks coming, so we're both being built to last. I'm looking forward to it. I think we're well positioned to compete with anyone.
robdog_5
Veteran
And1: 2,155

Post#57 » by robdog_5 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:11 am

Kyrie and Hayward vs Embidd and Simmons is slight favor to them (injury issues all around here) Brown and Tatum I believe are a lot better than anything they have Or will have moving forward. But injuries and role players may be difference makers moving forward. That is why I like Ainge and Stevens. But I see a 5-8 year battle coming down line
FlatearthZorro
RealGM

Post#58 » by FlatearthZorro » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:48 am

Please stop. Close this thread.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
FlatearthZorro
RealGM

Post#59 » by FlatearthZorro » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:52 am

robdog_5 wrote:Kyrie and Hayward vs Embidd and Simmons is slight favor to them (injury issues all around here) Brown and Tatum I believe are a lot better than anything they have Or will have moving forward. But injuries and role players may be difference makers moving forward. That is why I like Ainge and Stevens. But I see a 5-8 year battle coming down line

Random question. Do you think theyd have a shot against us if Kyrie and Gordon are healthy? Also do you think they will be able to retain JJ, Marco and Ersan without hurting their chances at a big time agents and maybe hurting their overall future?
Good assessment:

celtxman
Analyst
And1: 1,461

Post#60 » by celtxman » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:01 pm

Parasite wrote:**** the Sixers and the way they built their squad. Nothing good should befall them. Patooey!!
Friday afternoon Stephen A Smith on his ESPN radio show was going on a rant about how bad it was how the 76ers built their roster by losing. I called in and got on the show told him that I think that the lottery is the NBA's version of steroids and suggested the "wheel system" devised by Mike Zarren. He was out of time - he asked me quickly what the "wheel system" was. He said he would look into it. I sent him a tweet last night referencing an article about tanking by Zach Lowe last September, including describing the wheel system. I'll check back in to see if he does anything with this.
In the meantime I say to those who are OK with the lottery system - who will be the next Philly? Phoenix? Two or three more other teams that go this way? "The Process" is now in our regular vocabulary as if it is a good thing. Meanwhile Adam Silver and the rest of the NBA hierarchy are just raking in the money, celebrating the lottery with promotion about it, just like Bud Selig did when balls were flying out of the park off of the bats of Sosa and McGwire.
Brad Stevens on fans who want the Celtics to tank: "I don’t think they’ll like me all that much then."

Return to Boston Celtics