ImageImageImage

Anthony Davis Clarifies that Boston IS on his Preferred trade List [AD part 5]

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

grindtime22
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,656

Re: Anthony Davis Clarifies that Boston IS on his Preferred trade List [AD part 5] 

Post#481 » by grindtime22 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:19 pm

truth18 wrote:
ViperGTS wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:Again, the Pelicans don't walk away unless they have a better offer. Ainge doesn't negotiate against himself. A lot will play out before now and July 1st.

Just maybe they walked away because the optics were atrocious, and you had other coaches telling them not to trade him to LA? Thats just as much of a possibility as anything else. Heck, maybe even Silver stepped and and told them to hold off. Danny would be dumb to offer anything at this point and NO would be equally dumb to plan on getting a certain package later on.

Also, who knows what other teams may offer up. I don’t know how the money works, but what if Philly offered Simmons or Embiid? Probably a longshot, but who knows. Ainge and NY are not the only horses in this race, as much as most want to believe.

Lol, Philly is not going to offer Embiid.

Simmons has always made a lot sense for both sides to me, but I could be crazy. I couldn't ever see Embiid being on the table unless their medical staff sees a ticking time bomb.

With that said, I would probably rather have Davis than Embiid even though I might be in the minority. I think that is even more true if I have to pick somebody to put next to Simmons. It seems like they are at two different points in their careers, but Davis is only a year older (both about to turn 25 and 26 in March).

But yeah, they aren't trading Embiid. What if they flame out in the postseason though? With their recent lack of patience, I would say a Simmons deal could pop up at that point. I just don't see a clear path to matching salary that would make it possible.
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Re: Anthony Davis Clarifies that Boston IS on his Preferred trade List [AD part 5] 

Post#482 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:27 pm

ViperGTS wrote:
truth18 wrote:
ViperGTS wrote:
Just maybe they walked away because the optics were atrocious, and you had other coaches telling them not to trade him to LA? Thats just as much of a possibility as anything else. Heck, maybe even Silver stepped and and told them to hold off. Danny would be dumb to offer anything at this point and NO would be equally dumb to plan on getting a certain package later on.

Also, who knows what other teams may offer up. I don’t know how the money works, but what if Philly offered Simmons or Embiid? Probably a longshot, but who knows. Ainge and NY are not the only horses in this race, as much as most want to believe.

If AD is what most here say he is, which is a basketball god that is worth trading everything for, then why not Embiid? Is Embiid in AD’s class? Would Philly not be upgrading?

Because Embiid is signed for 4 more years after this season and is averaging almost identical numbers to AD. JFC
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#483 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:28 pm

grindtime22 wrote:
truth18 wrote:
ViperGTS wrote:

Simmons has always made a lot sense for both sides to me, but I could be crazy. I couldn't ever see Embiid being on the table unless their medical staff sees a ticking time bomb.

With that said, I would probably rather have Davis than Embiid even though I might be in the minority. I think that is even more true if I have to pick somebody to put next to Simmons. It seems like they are at two different points in their careers, but Davis is only a year older (both about to turn 25 and 26 in March).

But yeah, they aren't trading Embiid. What if they flame out in the postseason though? With their recent lack of patience, I would say a Simmons deal could pop up at that point. I just don't see a clear path to matching salary that would make it possible.

Simmons' agent is Rich Paul, who isn't exactly endearing himself to the Pelicans' organization at the moment. I don't think they want to trade one Klutch client for another.
grindtime22
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,656

Post#484 » by grindtime22 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:31 pm

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:
grindtime22 wrote:
truth18 wrote:

Simmons' agent is Rich Paul, who isn't exactly endearing himself to the Pelicans' organization at the moment. I don't think they want to trade one Klutch client for another.

:lol: :lol: :lol: You are correct, I'm not sure why I wasn't thinking about that. Simmons makes absolutely no sense for the Pelicans with that in the equation.
ViperGTS
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,398

Post#485 » by ViperGTS » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:43 pm

ViperGTS wrote:
truth18 wrote:

If AD is what most here say he is, which is a basketball god that is worth trading everything for, then why not Embiid? Is Embiid in AD’s class? Would Philly not be upgrading?

Because Embiid is signed for 4 more years after this season and is averaging almost identical numbers to AD. JFC

Should not matter. Heck, that is 4 guaranteed years for NO. Also, you would trade the farm for Embiid also?
ermocrate
General Manager
And1: 1,603

Post#486 » by ermocrate » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:44 pm

I like how Stephen A. is trying to push the nerrative that AD will be signing for LAL with or without the trade, that's a false statement, if LAL is not able to TRADE for a max player is going to be screwed for the next 5 years.
"Negativity in this town sucks"
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#487 » by Feed Your Head » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:50 pm

ViperGTS wrote:
ViperGTS wrote:

Should not matter. Heck, that is 4 guaranteed years for NO. Also, you would trade the farm for Embiid also?

It should not matter? What the hell are you talking about lol. Embiid is nearly as good as AD and the Sixers have him signed for 4 more years, that absolutely matters. That would be a ridiculous deal for Philly.
ViperGTS
Lead Assistant

Post#488 » by ViperGTS » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:05 pm

The Comedian wrote:
ViperGTS wrote:

It should not matter? What the hell are you talking about lol. Embiid is nearly as good as AD and the Sixers have him signed for 4 more years, that absolutely matters. That would be a ridiculous deal for Philly.

What if AD said I will sign for sure in Philly? The point I am making is AD has been made to be some sort of once in a lifetime player worth blowing your team up over. So, most teams should be open to trading just about anything correct? Now Embiid is in the same class? Would you trade Tatum and Brown etc for Embiid also?
Feed Your Head
RealGM

Post#489 » by Feed Your Head » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:11 pm

ViperGTS wrote:
The Comedian wrote:
ViperGTS wrote:

What if AD said I will sign for sure in Philly? The point I am making is AD has been made to be some sort of once in a lifetime player worth blowing your team up over. So, most teams should be open to trading just about anything correct? Now Embiid is in the same class? Would you trade Tatum and Brown etc for Embiid also?

Uh, yes and probably yeah. Do you know how dominant Embiid is? Not quite as good as AD but damn close. And trading Tatum/Jaylen/MLE buyout/Yabu is not blowing up the team lol. Or Tatum/Smart/buyout/Yabu. Do you actually believe Kyrie/Smart/Hayward/AD/Al with Baynes/Rozier/Semi/veteran ring chasers isn't good enough to be the title favorite for the next 3 years?
BillTheGOAT
Starter
And1: 1,930

Post#490 » by BillTheGOAT » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:12 pm

A Sherrod is doing his best to curse the Celtics. Saying Irvings knee looked great at the ASG. Then asking if KD could team up with Irving in Boston.
Green89
RealGM
And1: 26,669

Post#491 » by Green89 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:14 pm

For some reason, Shams pulled his tweet about the Knicks not putting the team up for sale.
ViperGTS
Lead Assistant

Post#492 » by ViperGTS » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:28 pm

The Comedian wrote:
ViperGTS wrote:
The Comedian wrote:

Uh, yes and probably yeah. Do you know how dominant Embiid is? Not quite as good as AD but damn close. And trading Tatum/Jaylen/MLE buyout/Yabu is not blowing up the team lol. Or Tatum/Smart/buyout/Yabu. Do you actually believe Kyrie/Smart/Hayward/AD/Al with Baynes/Rozier/Semi/veteran ring chasers isn't good enough to be the title favorite for the next 3 years?

I don’t fully believe that. Hayward is ? mark and I get nervous seeing Al post 30 wearing those big ice bags on his knee. That really, really worries me long term. Rozier won’t be here and I don’t want 3 years. I want 10 plus. Thats why I do whatever I can to get KD here. He fits the short and long term timeline that most people should be looking for. He can play here for 5 more years and hand off the reigns to Tatum and Brown or who ever.

I am looking at what I feel is the best for the Cs now and in 10 years.
hickfromfrenchlick
General Manager
And1: 9,125

Post#493 » by hickfromfrenchlick » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:31 pm

Captain_Caveman wrote:
sully00 wrote:
Yes, if I'm Danny Ferry, I do exactly what you're saying. If Ainge implied that nothing was off the table, and then turn around a few months later and tell me that there were now players that were off-limits, then yes, I would absolutely call him out for pulling the old bait-and-switch tactics. I would then turn around and shop AD to other teams. Danny will obviously try to get the best deal he can, but the guy isn't a miracle worker. AD is going to cost us a pretty penny, and he will be worth it.

Think about what you are saying. The Pelicans aren't going to exclusively negotiate with the Celtics, we aren't dating. The Pelicans are going to negotiate with every other team in the league that is interested. The Celtics were actually pretty careful from all accounts to not directly include Tatum in conversations, and instead use the "explosive offer" comments because things change we have the rest of the regular season the post season we also don't know what the picks are that Boston has to offer.

The Pelicans have to hire a new GM and then he/she has to decide what the priority is going to be in a return for Davis. Boston has to let the postseason play out to know what Tatum's value is at that point. When things are public they are not real.

A couple of you guys are talking about how AD's value has an expiration date without regard to why the Pelicans passed on a deadline deal. There were 28 teams that could have dealt for him, and only one that couldn't. Yet they chose to wait.

I see two factors there. For one, they would surely like to know where that Knicks pick comes in, and didn't want to send a guy who would kill its value. But that's not enough. The relatively low odds of that pick coming in high just didn't justify the risk. His market could crater without a third team.

More important, while I don't think the teams agreed on the specific parameters due to the uncertainty, the Pels clearly wanted, and nearly as clearly likely received, word that Tatum would be the centerpiece of a Boston offer.

Seems pretty obvious. Knicks (potentially) and Celtics are the Pels' best options.
Feed Your Head
RealGM

Post#494 » by Feed Your Head » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:33 pm

ViperGTS wrote:
The Comedian wrote:
ViperGTS wrote:

I don’t fully believe that. Hayward is ? mark and I get nervous seeing Al post 30 wearing those big ice bags on his knee. That really, really worries me long term. Rozier won’t be here and I don’t want 3 years. I want 10 plus. Thats why I do whatever I can to get KD here. He fits the short and long term timeline that most people should be looking for. He can play here for 5 more years and hand off the reigns to Tatum and Brown or who ever.

I am looking at what I feel is the best for the Cs now and in 10 years.

Yeah we all want 10 plus, except that doesn't happen in the nba anymore. I'd prefer the Durant route myself, but he is definitely going to NY. Danny knows if we lose out on AD and Kyrie leaves, we have no championship window, nevermind "just" a three year one.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,423

Post#495 » by Captain_Caveman » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:40 pm

hickfromfrenchlick wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:
sully00 wrote:
Think about what you are saying. The Pelicans aren't going to exclusively negotiate with the Celtics, we aren't dating. The Pelicans are going to negotiate with every other team in the league that is interested. The Celtics were actually pretty careful from all accounts to not directly include Tatum in conversations, and instead use the "explosive offer" comments because things change we have the rest of the regular season the post season we also don't know what the picks are that Boston has to offer.

The Pelicans have to hire a new GM and then he/she has to decide what the priority is going to be in a return for Davis. Boston has to let the postseason play out to know what Tatum's value is at that point. When things are public they are not real.

A couple of you guys are talking about how AD's value has an expiration date without regard to why the Pelicans passed on a deadline deal. There were 28 teams that could have dealt for him, and only one that couldn't. Yet they chose to wait.

I see two factors there. For one, they would surely like to know where that Knicks pick comes in, and didn't want to send a guy who would kill its value. But that's not enough. The relatively low odds of that pick coming in high just didn't justify the risk. His market could crater without a third team.

More important, while I don't think the teams agreed on the specific parameters due to the uncertainty, the Pels clearly wanted, and nearly as clearly likely received, word that Tatum would be the centerpiece of a Boston offer.

Seems pretty obvious. Knicks (potentially) and Celtics are the Pels' best options.

Really shouldn't have to be explained, but here we are, lol.
Green89
RealGM

Post#496 » by Green89 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:43 pm

Can someone tell me what/who other than their draft pick that the Knicks can offer? To me, the Pels need to get a star or potential star, plus at least one other starting caliber player, and draft picks. Can they give all of those, because it wouldn't seem like just that draft pick is enough. NO already had a top draft pick in Davis and now come to the point 7 years later that he wasn't enough on his own. They need more than just one prospect to get their club back to relevance.
Feed Your Head
RealGM

Post#497 » by Feed Your Head » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:44 pm

Green89 wrote:Can someone tell me what/who other than their draft pick that the Knicks can offer? To me, the Pels need to get a star or potential star, plus at least one other starting caliber player, and draft picks. Can they give all of those, because it wouldn't seem like just that draft pick is enough. NO already had a top draft pick in Davis and need more than just one prospect to get their club back to relevance.

Zion/DSJ/Mitchell Robinson is a pretty monster package.
reload141
RealGM
And1: 22,412

Post#498 » by reload141 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:48 pm

Green89 wrote:Can someone tell me what/who other than their draft pick that the Knicks can offer? To me, the Pels need to get a star or potential star, plus at least one other starting caliber player, and draft picks. Can they give all of those, because it wouldn't seem like just that draft pick is enough. NO already had a top draft pick in Davis and need more than just one prospect to get their club back to relevance.

Everything else doesn't matter.

The two centrepieces of the trades to Boston or New York are the following;

Boston: Tatum

New York: Zion

Everything else is a mashup of mid 1st round picks, mid level talent (Knox, Brown, DSJ)

That's why the Sac pick ending up wherever it ends up isn't a big deal anymore, if say it had the potential to go to #2 and New York got pushed out to 4-5 then MAYBE we could withhold Tatum just by using the rest of our assets around Brown, Smart, pick #2, Memphis pick, Clippers pick, Boston pick.

But realistically where the Sac pick ends up now (10-16?) Doesn't really matter to us or the Pelicans.
Green89
RealGM

Post#499 » by Green89 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:49 pm

The Comedian wrote:

I'm not so sure either Smith or Robinson makes this package monster. I don't see it.
Feed Your Head
RealGM

Post#500 » by Feed Your Head » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:52 pm

Green89 wrote:
The Comedian wrote:

I'm not so sure either Smith or Robinson makes this package monster. I don't see it.

Zion is what makes it monster, then you take shots on the upside on Robinson and Smith. Zion is entering that generational prospect tier, just gotta hope the Knicks dont get #1.

Return to Boston Celtics