ImageImageImage

Celtics General Offseason Thread, 2019 – Welcome to the Party, #2

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Re: Celtics General Offseason Thread, 2019 – Welcome to the Party, #2 

Post#321 » by MagicBagley18 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:30 pm

jfs1000d wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:
Jaqua92 wrote:You know the Celtics are in a bad spot when the denial of such fans is causing them to make such statements as implying that we will be better than the Lakers with LeBron and Anthony Davis

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

It’s just the denial phase. Acceptance is the next phase and once we do that everything will get better. Celtics fans 2 most hated things 1) lakers 2) Lebron and now they are combined but not the clown show we thought but legit contenders and it pisses everyone off (including myself). Sucks to watch our rivals become contenders and better than us by almost doing virtually everything wrong.

Long term the Celtics will be fine. I’ve rooted for them in much darker days like we all have and we will all do again but there’s no doubt this is just the nightmare scenario for us. We have no defined path, lost our best asset for nothing and our best free agent signing ever has been decimated by injury and we are hoping and praying he comes back CLOSE to pre-Injury form and no real flexibility moving forward.

We have tatum Which is a better start to a rebuild than most rebuilds begin with (which is the way I’d lean but don’t think management will) and the Memphis pick so in The end I have confidence in ownership and management to get it right but IMO the next few years will be tough if we don’t pick a defined path and try to stray the middle.

still trust in ainge but I can understand those tho are doubting him now and I understand the anger some have here.

Denying what?

Lakers are title contenders for the next 2 years. We aren’t.

We were title contenders this year. We internally exploded and had a disastrous year. Everything that could have went wrong, did. Starts with Kyrie, which made it impossible to get AD.

But, the team is going to very good next year. Not great, but I think on the level of the Pacers. I think we won’t be as good as Bucks and 76ers, clearly.

Kawahi is gone, so we will be on the level of Pacers, Raptors (siakim, Lowry, ibaka decent), and maybe nets if they add to Kyrie. If they don’t, Nets will be 8th seed level.

We are still better than Charlotte, pistons etc. in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no 1st of all lakers are the favorite next season. didn't you tell me you have portland and denver over them? that's laughable. the denial is believing we have a team that can compete for a ring. we don't. it's ok. it is not all doom and gloom but let us be realistic about our situation so we can correct it and get us on the course to build one.

is that the bar now? being better than the charlotte's and pistons? haha. that's where we are? jesus.

your right- everything went to **** this season. a perfect disaster. we should build around tatum not be good enough to be better than the charlotte's of the world. we took our crack at it and it didn't work now let us pick a real path and not try and sell ourselves on the ceiling of the team we have and how good we can be.

ainge in theory had the foresight to know AD would be available this summer but klutch kyrie and lebron sabotaged us. i still have faith in danny to figure it out but being the 6 seed is no man's land.

let's embrace where we are and use it as motivation to build a legitimate team putting a roster together that get's to the ecf and get's slaughtered is denial and not being honest about our place in the league
MaxwellSmart
Head Coach
And1: 2,106

Post#322 » by MaxwellSmart » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:32 pm

The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:
RajonsGotARondo wrote:Moving company at kyries house in weston,Ma moving all his stuff to NY

Still trying to figure out how the nets situation will be different than what he had here.

Well for this year anyway until he plays with KD.

Kyrie can be the GM of the Nets while he's a player....kind of like LBJ does all the time...Kyrie didn't like not having ALL the Power.
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,834

Post#323 » by bucknersrevenge » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:32 pm

Edug27 wrote:
bucknersrevenge wrote:
Edug27 wrote:
Never said you had issues. I'm replying to your "all the problems people blame Kyrie for..." comment. I'm replying to those "people".

I just have higher expectations for Terry next season than you do. He doesn't need to be All NBA... or even an All Star. He just needs to be a good starting point guard for the Boston Celtics.... as Kyrie was last season. I expect Terry to blossom. I expect him to buy into his role and I expect the entire mood of the team to be better post Kyrie.

Don't know if I agree but I do respect the opinion. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Now... I never said the team would be better, lol. I just think the mood will improve, and our young dudes will have a better chance to develop.

I think this whole team is gonna be fairly young. I know earlier you were throwing around the idea of adding 3 veterans to come off the bench. I think we're back in talent acquisition mode again. We have 3 picks. Let's draft them and play at least 1 or 2 of them. I don't see why Semi and TimeLord shouldn't get some regular burn either. These are the teams that Brad Stevens loves. College type atmosphere; young guys wanting to improve their craft and develop different facets of their game. Easier to manage. We have young legs. Let's play fast and instinctual.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
Edug27
RealGM
And1: 8,204

Post#324 » by Edug27 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:36 pm

bucknersrevenge wrote:
Edug27 wrote:
bucknersrevenge wrote:

Don't know if I agree but I do respect the opinion. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Now... I never said the team would be better, lol. I just think the mood will improve, and our young dudes will have a better chance to develop.

I think this whole team is gonna be fairly young. I know earlier you were throwing around the idea of adding 3 veterans to come off the bench. I think we're back in talent acquisition mode again. We have 3 picks. Let's draft them and play at least 1 or 2 of them. I don't see why Semi and TimeLord shouldn't get some regular burn either. These are the teams that Brad Stevens loves. College type atmosphere; young guys wanting to improve their craft and develop different facets of their game. Easier to manage. We have young legs. Let's play fast and instinctual.

Yea. I'm cool with that. And I like Roberts potential. Would like to see him get time. Semi can kick rocks though. As can Hunter and whatever other DLeague we have sitting there.
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,834

Post#325 » by bucknersrevenge » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:47 pm

Edug27 wrote:
bucknersrevenge wrote:
Edug27 wrote:

Yea. I'm cool with that. And I like Roberts potential. Would like to see him get time. Semi can kick rocks though. As can Hunter and whatever other DLeague we have sitting there.

Aww I like Semi. What did he ever do to you? You're a jerk.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
000078ude54
Pro Prospect
And1: 551

Post#326 » by 000078ude54 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:48 pm

taj2133 wrote:According to Shams Charania of The Athletic, Kyrie Irving will meet with Celtics officials soon to discuss his future.
Shams adds that a meeting could take place prior to Thursday's draft as the Celtics seek some clarity ahead of his free agency. Brooklyn is still the favorite to sign Irving and Sam Amick of The Athletic reported that the Lakers are still "in play," so it's no surprise that the Celtics aren't optimistic about their chances of keeping the superstar PG.
https://www.rotoworld.com/sports/nba/basketball

Good. I hope Ainge and Co. shake hands with him, wish him well, and move on.

Kyrie is not a leader and is not a winner. He can go be a moody prick somewhere else.

In other news, what chance do we have to get someone like DeAngelo Russell or Bradley Beal?
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,983

Post#327 » by jfs1000d » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:52 pm

MagicBagley18 wrote:
jfs1000d wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:
It’s just the denial phase. Acceptance is the next phase and once we do that everything will get better. Celtics fans 2 most hated things 1) lakers 2) Lebron and now they are combined but not the clown show we thought but legit contenders and it pisses everyone off (including myself). Sucks to watch our rivals become contenders and better than us by almost doing virtually everything wrong.

Long term the Celtics will be fine. I’ve rooted for them in much darker days like we all have and we will all do again but there’s no doubt this is just the nightmare scenario for us. We have no defined path, lost our best asset for nothing and our best free agent signing ever has been decimated by injury and we are hoping and praying he comes back CLOSE to pre-Injury form and no real flexibility moving forward.

We have tatum Which is a better start to a rebuild than most rebuilds begin with (which is the way I’d lean but don’t think management will) and the Memphis pick so in The end I have confidence in ownership and management to get it right but IMO the next few years will be tough if we don’t pick a defined path and try to stray the middle.

still trust in ainge but I can understand those tho are doubting him now and I understand the anger some have here.

Denying what?

We were title contenders this year. We internally exploded and had a disastrous year. Everything that could have went wrong, did. Starts with Kyrie, which made it impossible to get AD.

But, the team is going to very good next year. Not great, but I think on the level of the Pacers. I think we won’t be as good as Bucks and 76ers, clearly.

Kawahi is gone, so we will be on the level of Pacers, Raptors (siakim, Lowry, ibaka decent), and maybe nets if they add to Kyrie. If they don’t, Nets will be 8th seed level.

no 1st of all lakers are the favorite next season. didn't you tell me you have portland and denver over them? that's laughable. the denial is believing we have a team that can compete for a ring. we don't. it's ok. it is not all doom and gloom but let us be realistic about our situation so we can correct it and get us on the course to build one.

is that the bar now? being better than the charlotte's and pistons? haha. that's where we are? jesus.

your right- everything went to **** this season. a perfect disaster. we should build around tatum not be good enough to be better than the charlotte's of the world. we took our crack at it and it didn't work now let us pick a real path and not try and sell ourselves on the ceiling of the team we have and how good we can be.

ainge in theory had the foresight to know AD would be available this summer but klutch kyrie and lebron sabotaged us. i still have faith in danny to figure it out but being the 6 seed is no man's land.

let's embrace where we are and use it as motivation to build a legitimate team putting a roster together that get's to the ecf and get's slaughtered is denial and not being honest about our place in the league

I don't think I disagree with anything you said.

I guess I am not as upset.

We aren't a treadmill team, we don't suck. We are a young team with a lot of assets and at least one player with all nba potential. I like our young talent. We don't have a superstar.

I guess it comes down to whether you believe in Hayward, or not. I think Al is what he is. Brown is a going to be a very good player and I think Tatum is a special scorer. He could easily be over 20 PPG next year.

We have questions, but if Hayward returns to form, and I think there is no reason he shouldn't, then we will be a 45-55 win team. 55 is way high, but I think we will have great chemistry and play great defense next year. Our effort won't lag.

I guess, our ceiling wont' be as high, but we may come close again in wins with Kyrie. I don't forsee a drop to the low 40s in wins. I am thinking O/U will probably be 45.
watsonthedragon
Sixth Man
And1: 2,289

Post#328 » by watsonthedragon » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:54 pm

Just since we've heard some rumors of us being interested in Conley:

[Charania] The Grizzlies are intensifying talks to potentially move franchise cornerstone Mike Conley Jr., league sources told the Atheltic. Memphis has been in conversations with the Jazz, and Utah is a frontrunner to acquire Conley.
MaxwellSmart
Head Coach

Post#329 » by MaxwellSmart » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:59 pm

watsonthedragon wrote:Just since we've heard some rumors of us being interested in Conley:

[Charania] The Grizzlies are intensifying talks to potentially move franchise cornerstone Mike Conley Jr., league sources told the Atheltic. Memphis has been in conversations with the Jazz, and Utah is a frontrunner to acquire Conley.

Would have paired him with AD...not gonna happen now, I guess.
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#330 » by MagicBagley18 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:00 pm

jfs1000d wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:
jfs1000d wrote:
Denying what?

I don't think I disagree with anything you said.

I guess I am not as upset.

We aren't a treadmill team, we don't suck. We are a young team with a lot of assets and at least one player with all nba potential. I like our young talent. We don't have a superstar.

I guess it comes down to whether you believe in Hayward, or not. I think Al is what he is. Brown is a going to be a very good player and I think Tatum is a special scorer. He could easily be over 20 PPG next year.

We have questions, but if Hayward returns to form, and I think there is no reason he shouldn't, then we will be a 45-55 win team. 55 is way high, but I think we will have great chemistry and play great defense next year. Our effort won't lag.

I guess, our ceiling wont' be as high, but we may come close again in wins with Kyrie. I don't forsee a drop to the low 40s in wins. I am thinking O/U will probably be 45.

maybe if i directed it at you personally i was wrong and i apologize. i'm really not angry i love the nba and love the celtics and will root regardless and both of us just want the best for the celtics even if we have different ways to get that. i have no doubt that watching the celtics will be more enjoyable next season ( as would downing a gallon of bleach).

i guess we just disagree about our assets- i see one great asset in tatum. memphis pick looks promising but as we saw with the kings pick nothing is guaranteed. jaylen has shown flashes and has potential but i also remember people screaming about jeff green's potential and now brown is due for a contract extension and will be paid to produce at a certain level and the excuse can no longer be well he's young and still trying to get it.

after thursday all the picks we have become real players and people and the value of them drop. sure we can hit on a few players and get lucky but the perceived value they had before is diminished.

you are right we are not a treadmill team right now- but the direction many want to go will get us there. id rather be bad and take my chances on developing younger guys or maybe even getting some nice picks then get to the ecf and killed. we did that for 2 years with IT and while it was fun to root for those teams i feel if we do that again it is going to set us back.
MaxwellSmart
Head Coach

Post#331 » by MaxwellSmart » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:07 pm

Danny should throw a curve ball...Trade Hayward and Brown for a re-signed Durant...Re-Sign Kyrie. GS would have some firepower for next season, til Klay is back. C's would wait out Durant, while giving Tatum tons of time to be great. Kyrie and Brown didn't get along very well anyway.
Roddy
Head Coach
And1: 10,807

Post#332 » by Roddy » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:09 pm

taj2133 wrote:According to Shams Charania of The Athletic, Kyrie Irving will meet with Celtics officials soon to discuss his future.
Shams adds that a meeting could take place prior to Thursday's draft as the Celtics seek some clarity ahead of his free agency. Brooklyn is still the favorite to sign Irving and Sam Amick of The Athletic reported that the Lakers are still "in play," so it's no surprise that the Celtics aren't optimistic about their chances of keeping the superstar PG.

Danny saying Goodbye to Kyrie...

sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#333 » by sully00 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:10 pm

MagicBagley18 wrote:
no 1st of all lakers are the favorite next season.

The favorite for what? They have 6 players under contract for next season. 3 good players and 3 guys I haven't really heard of. 26 mil in cap space sounds like a lot of money and they may be add to that if NOLA wants to cooperate but I doubt they are willing to go beyond 7/6.

They have no draft pick. How are they going to fill out a starting 5 never mind a roster. If they decide to go chase another star with the cap space then they have to fill out the roster with the Cap exception and Minimum salary guys. The Lakers have done this ass backwards and it actually has a chance to blow up big time.

Lebron can be competitive with stiffs we have seen it before but they are handpicked stiffs that fill specific roles and fit his playing style. It took 48 wins to make the playoffs in West the Lakers may want to start there.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,022

Post#334 » by Darth Celtic » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:11 pm

MaxwellSmart wrote:Leonard should stay with the Raps.

Kyrie should stay with the Celtics. What's best for winning isn't always what players are doing now.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#335 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:12 pm

Roddy wrote:

I'm getting mad thinking about this meeting. I can just picture Kyrie acting surprised, acting like it wasn't his fault that we didn't trade for AD. :lol:
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#336 » by Darth Celtic » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:16 pm

MaxwellSmart wrote:
watsonthedragon wrote:Just since we've heard some rumors of us being interested in Conley:

Would have paired him with AD...not gonna happen now, I guess.

Utah could make sense. Just pick up Favors last year option, and Exum/Favors/1st round pick in 2019 or 2020 should do it.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#337 » by Darth Celtic » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:18 pm

sully00 wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:
no 1st of all lakers are the favorite next season.

The favorite for what? They have 6 players under contract for next season. 3 good players and 3 guys I haven't really heard of. 26 mil in cap space sounds like a lot of money and they may be add to that if NOLA wants to cooperate but I doubt they are willing to go beyond 7/6.

They have no draft pick. How are they going to fill out a starting 5 never mind a roster. If they decide to go chase another star with the cap space then they have to fill out the roster with the Cap exception and Minimum salary guys. The Lakers have done this ass backwards and it actually has a chance to blow up big time.

Lebron can be competitive with stiffs we have seen it before but they are handpicked stiffs that fill specific roles and fit his playing style. It took 48 wins to make the playoffs in West the Lakers may want to start there.

Not even sure they can use cap exceptions if they use cap space to sign a player can they?
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#338 » by Feed Your Head » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:21 pm

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:
Roddy wrote:

I'm getting mad thinking about this meeting. I can just picture Kyrie acting surprised, acting like it wasn't his fault that we didn't trade for AD. :lol:

"Yo you really didn't trade the entire future of the team for AD? Wtf bro"

TheOGJabroni
Head Coach
And1: 1,992

Post#339 » by TheOGJabroni » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:24 pm

Roddy wrote:

taj2133
General Manager
And1: 2,972

Post#340 » by taj2133 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:25 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to Boston Celtics