ImageImageImage

2020 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: Froob, The Comedian, sully00, Parliament10, ParticleMan, djFan71, canman1971

threrf23
RealGM
Posts: 13,071
And1: 2,479
Joined: Mar 22, 2004
Contact:

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#481 » by threrf23 » Sat May 23, 2020 8:12 pm

big-shot-ROB wrote:
winsomme2 wrote:I wish I had a better sense of Josh Green as a pro because I think he's gonna be there at 17 and he has all the ingredients. He just doesn't jump out when I watch him play.


Josh is going to be a good pro. He projects to be a very solid defender, has good understanding of team defense too. All the question marks are on the offensive end. He barely has any NBA-ready skill there. He doesn't have a great first step, can't finish at the rim, doesn't project to be able to create for himself regularly, very very streaky shooter right now.


In terms of stats, strengths, and weaknesses, guy seems similar to Corey Brewer.

No?

Brewer was skinnier...
User avatar
big-shot-ROB
Senior
Posts: 703
And1: 599
Joined: May 18, 2017
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#482 » by big-shot-ROB » Sun May 24, 2020 7:44 am

threrf23 wrote:
big-shot-ROB wrote:
winsomme2 wrote:I wish I had a better sense of Josh Green as a pro because I think he's gonna be there at 17 and he has all the ingredients. He just doesn't jump out when I watch him play.


Josh is going to be a good pro. He projects to be a very solid defender, has good understanding of team defense too. All the question marks are on the offensive end. He barely has any NBA-ready skill there. He doesn't have a great first step, can't finish at the rim, doesn't project to be able to create for himself regularly, very very streaky shooter right now.


In terms of stats, strengths, and weaknesses, guy seems similar to Corey Brewer.

No?

Brewer was skinnier...


And longer I think. Something like Shabazz Muhammad or Josh Okogie would look a lot like Josh Green if he doesn't improve in any areas.
User avatar
big-shot-ROB
Senior
Posts: 703
And1: 599
Joined: May 18, 2017
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#483 » by big-shot-ROB » Sun May 24, 2020 7:53 am

Nope. Green has a longer wingspain by more than 1 inch. Jesus. 6'6 with a 6'10.25 wingspan is quite similar to Brown's 6'7, 7'0.5 package.
winsomme2
Senior
Posts: 528
And1: 214
Joined: Jun 12, 2013

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#484 » by winsomme2 » Sun May 24, 2020 12:48 pm

At #17, this is my current order of preference. There are others I like in this draft more but they will almost certainly not be there at 17.


Aaron Nesmith
Tyrese Maxey
Devin Vassell
Saddiq Bey
Patrick Williams
Theo Maledon

I think Nesmith, Maxey, Vassell, and Bey will also be gone unfortunately. But I think one of Williams and Maledon will be there.

People are currently sleeping on Maledon. He doesn't seem to have the statistical record to rise to the top of the draft but when you watch him play, he screams potential. He's got a good strong base and he moves really well with the ball in his hands. He would do so well in CBS system. His ability to drive and dish or finish is exactly what CBS looks for. He'll open up a lot perimeter shooters. He is a legit BIG point guard. Langford has decent hanldes but is more SG. Maledon can run an offense and he also plays solid defense.

Maledon is definitely moving up my wish list.
User avatar
youngWizzy
Rookie
Posts: 1,091
And1: 413
Joined: Dec 20, 2016
 

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#485 » by youngWizzy » Sun May 24, 2020 9:47 pm

Hey guys, I just added a new feature to my site that let's you compare two prospects side by side here: https://nbadraftcomp.herokuapp.com/compare

Probably one of the cooler tools I've added.

If you don't mind checking it out that'd be amazing!!!!

Image
Twitter: @youngwizzydfs
winsomme2
Senior
Posts: 528
And1: 214
Joined: Jun 12, 2013

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#486 » by winsomme2 » Mon May 25, 2020 12:24 pm

How about this as our draft class?

#17 Kira Lewis
#26 Xavier Tillman
#30 Cassius Stanley


Not sure if that's too high for Kira, but his quickness and finishing ability are tantalizing. Tillman is a modern day big who plays hard and could play right away. And Stanley's athleticism is off the charts.
themoneyteam2
Senior
Posts: 746
And1: 792
Joined: Oct 19, 2019
     

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#487 » by themoneyteam2 » Tue May 26, 2020 4:32 am

winsomme2 wrote:How about this as our draft class?

#17 Kira Lewis
#26 Xavier Tillman
#30 Cassius Stanley


Not sure if that's too high for Kira, but his quickness and finishing ability are tantalizing. Tillman is a modern day big who plays hard and could play right away. And Stanley's athleticism is off the charts.


Like it if they keep all 3 which I doubt they will (or start one player). Not a big fan of Tillman though. Feel like Tillman is a bit redundant with a high floor, low ceiling type player like Grant Williams. I actually like Grant a lot so not a knock on him or Tillman but would rather see them take someone with higher upside.

He shot 26% 3PT on limited attempts and FT is 66%. Not too optimistic about his shooting stroke. Reminds me of Omari Spellman body type but without the outside jumper. Shades of Jared Sullinger too
winsomme2
Senior
Posts: 528
And1: 214
Joined: Jun 12, 2013

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#488 » by winsomme2 » Tue May 26, 2020 11:42 am

themoneyteam2 wrote:
winsomme2 wrote:How about this as our draft class?

#17 Kira Lewis
#26 Xavier Tillman
#30 Cassius Stanley


Not sure if that's too high for Kira, but his quickness and finishing ability are tantalizing. Tillman is a modern day big who plays hard and could play right away. And Stanley's athleticism is off the charts.


Like it if they keep all 3 which I doubt they will (or start one player). Not a big fan of Tillman though. Feel like Tillman is a bit redundant with a high floor, low ceiling type player like Grant Williams. I actually like Grant a lot so not a knock on him or Tillman but would rather see them take someone with higher upside.

He shot 26% 3PT on limited attempts and FT is 66%. Not too optimistic about his shooting stroke. Reminds me of Omari Spellman body type but without the outside jumper. Shades of Jared Sullinger too


Grant W is a decent comparison for Tillman. Hardworking, smart, strong. But Tillman is longer and a better finisher around the rim IMO. For Tillman I wish he was a better FT shooter.

They would definitely be battling for minutes though.
ddb
General Manager
Posts: 9,651
And1: 8,167
Joined: May 10, 2007

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#489 » by ddb » Tue May 26, 2020 1:05 pm

CelticsPride18 wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:
ddb wrote:
I'm all for trading out for a vet...but if Danny drafts the #1 target with the Memphis pick or via trade up is Nesmith. Would be a luxury to have an athletic sharpshooting wing coming off the bench.

I personally like Maledon, Nesmith or Vassell with the 17th pick. Get someone to pair with Smart off the bench. Play one of Brown, Tatum or Hayward with Smart and the draft pick. 3+ good offensive players at all times.

Also competition for Langford to improve his game in order to get playing time.

Ainge most likely will make a trade(s). Celtics will have too many players that are NBA caliber


Nesmith is the perfect fit for the bench. Doesn’t need the ball in hands and allows Langford and Smart to be the main ball handlers off the bench.


I agree. Although I have a feeling Nesmith ends up in the lottery. Ainge would have to move up.
ddb
General Manager
Posts: 9,651
And1: 8,167
Joined: May 10, 2007

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#490 » by ddb » Tue May 26, 2020 1:11 pm

had a dream last night Celtics somehow ended up with Obi Tobbin. Was a dream about the future. Celtics will crushing teams with Tatum/Brown/Obi
a-French-Fan
Sophomore
Posts: 232
And1: 127
Joined: Jun 29, 2017
 

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#491 » by a-French-Fan » Tue May 26, 2020 2:04 pm

winsomme2 wrote:At #17, this is my current order of preference. There are others I like in this draft more but they will almost certainly not be there at 17.


Aaron Nesmith
Tyrese Maxey
Devin Vassell
Saddiq Bey
Patrick Williams
Theo Maledon

I think Nesmith, Maxey, Vassell, and Bey will also be gone unfortunately. But I think one of Williams and Maledon will be there.

People are currently sleeping on Maledon. He doesn't seem to have the statistical record to rise to the top of the draft but when you watch him play, he screams potential. He's got a good strong base and he moves really well with the ball in his hands. He would do so well in CBS system. His ability to drive and dish or finish is exactly what CBS looks for. He'll open up a lot perimeter shooters. He is a legit BIG point guard. Langford has decent hanldes but is more SG. Maledon can run an offense and he also plays solid defense.

Maledon is definitely moving up my wish list.


Happy to read that some fans watch player's videos and not only stats ^^

I am a fan of ASVEL, so I follow a lot Malédon. And believe me, we had not so interesting PG prospect in France since TP9.

Firstly, people have to understand that European pro championships are not for young players. And european championships are not playing the same level or the same game. French championship is not as good as spanish championship. But in this league, there is not a huge gap between best and worst teams, and it is a physical championship.
Secondly, Malédon had a good 2018-2019 season (born in july 2001), while Killian Hayes expected minutes with Cholet (his father played for Cholet and then has stayed), Malédon get a real role with ASVEL, in Jeep Elite and Eurocup. Other point guards were particulary good for french championship, even for Eurocup (Mantas Kalnietis and Demarcus Nelson). So, appreciate the fact that he took minutes from those Eurocup/Euroleague PGs.
This summer, he was nearly to play world cup at 18. Last guys playing such a competition at this age are Doncic and Rubio. With Heurtel (Barcelona) injuried, Collet preferred Ntilikina instead of him with an older PG (Andrew Albicy, a nobody for you until you saw him defend on Kemba last summer). Collet choose big def for PG ...so out Malédon, not physically developped enough and too young to deal with such pressure at this moment.
Then season started, Kalnietis out, Diot in (best prospect of Batum's generation, but a real injury prone. When he was healthy, he had a really Euroleague level and was Parker's back-up in national team), Demarcus Nelson out (Bayern), Jordan Taylor in. Again, he had to take minutes from two good PGs. But, quickly he took a violent hit on his shoulder (early october). Not a serious injury, you need just time to rest, but no risk that made him an injury prone. Maybe he just need to work his body. While he was absent, coach Mitrovic launched Matthew Strazel (17 years old) as third PG. And he scored 9 points for his first euroleague game. So not any PG could show interesting things with 4 PGs when Malédon came back. He had to find rythm, and weeks before COVID, he did some pretty good games. But people look stats, they only think that he didn't improve, or even worse, they may thing he declined. The truth is that last weeks before lockdown, ASVEL had bad times, but watching Malédon and Strazel I had some hope for the end of the season.He was really doing better choices.

So , remember that as 17 he became international player with France even if he didn't world cup, even TP9 did not have his stats at 17, at 18 he was a euroleague starter (I read once, that he is the only 18 years player with Doncic who played starter majority of his team's euroleague games for the last decade). And I do this bet: for Paris 2024, he will be France starting PG (Hayes playing as SG or as 6th man) for France. Sincerly, I do not understand how you may have such a gap between Hayes and Malédon in mock draft.

Conclusion: Ntilikina at #8 was a bust for Knicks, but Malédon at #17 would be a steal for Celtics. I expect that some GM who know basketball will draft him before.
CelticsPride18
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,573
And1: 5,149
Joined: Oct 31, 2013
       

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#492 » by CelticsPride18 » Tue May 26, 2020 5:16 pm

Tyrell Terry is very intriguing.
User avatar
big-shot-ROB
Senior
Posts: 703
And1: 599
Joined: May 18, 2017
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#493 » by big-shot-ROB » Tue May 26, 2020 6:30 pm

CelticsPride18 wrote:Tyrell Terry is very intriguing.


I'll never trust that frame and size at the NBA.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 15,350
And1: 24,283
Joined: Dec 29, 2014

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#494 » by SmartWentCrazy » Tue May 26, 2020 6:56 pm

ddb wrote:had a dream last night Celtics somehow ended up with Obi Tobbin. Was a dream about the future. Celtics will crushing teams with Tatum/Brown/Obi


Toppin is my binkie— Im so high on him.
ddb
General Manager
Posts: 9,651
And1: 8,167
Joined: May 10, 2007

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#495 » by ddb » Tue May 26, 2020 7:31 pm

a-French-Fan wrote:
winsomme2 wrote:At #17, this is my current order of preference. There are others I like in this draft more but they will almost certainly not be there at 17.


Aaron Nesmith
Tyrese Maxey
Devin Vassell
Saddiq Bey
Patrick Williams
Theo Maledon

I think Nesmith, Maxey, Vassell, and Bey will also be gone unfortunately. But I think one of Williams and Maledon will be there.

People are currently sleeping on Maledon. He doesn't seem to have the statistical record to rise to the top of the draft but when you watch him play, he screams potential. He's got a good strong base and he moves really well with the ball in his hands. He would do so well in CBS system. His ability to drive and dish or finish is exactly what CBS looks for. He'll open up a lot perimeter shooters. He is a legit BIG point guard. Langford has decent hanldes but is more SG. Maledon can run an offense and he also plays solid defense.

Maledon is definitely moving up my wish list.


Happy to read that some fans watch player's videos and not only stats ^^

I am a fan of ASVEL, so I follow a lot Malédon. And believe me, we had not so interesting PG prospect in France since TP9.

Firstly, people have to understand that European pro championships are not for young players. And european championships are not playing the same level or the same game. French championship is not as good as spanish championship. But in this league, there is not a huge gap between best and worst teams, and it is a physical championship.
Secondly, Malédon had a good 2018-2019 season (born in july 2001), while Killian Hayes expected minutes with Cholet (his father played for Cholet and then has stayed), Malédon get a real role with ASVEL, in Jeep Elite and Eurocup. Other point guards were particulary good for french championship, even for Eurocup (Mantas Kalnietis and Demarcus Nelson). So, appreciate the fact that he took minutes from those Eurocup/Euroleague PGs.
This summer, he was nearly to play world cup at 18. Last guys playing such a competition at this age are Doncic and Rubio. With Heurtel (Barcelona) injuried, Collet preferred Ntilikina instead of him with an older PG (Andrew Albicy, a nobody for you until you saw him defend on Kemba last summer). Collet choose big def for PG ...so out Malédon, not physically developped enough and too young to deal with such pressure at this moment.
Then season started, Kalnietis out, Diot in (best prospect of Batum's generation, but a real injury prone. When he was healthy, he had a really Euroleague level and was Parker's back-up in national team), Demarcus Nelson out (Bayern), Jordan Taylor in. Again, he had to take minutes from two good PGs. But, quickly he took a violent hit on his shoulder (early october). Not a serious injury, you need just time to rest, but no risk that made him an injury prone. Maybe he just need to work his body. While he was absent, coach Mitrovic launched Matthew Strazel (17 years old) as third PG. And he scored 9 points for his first euroleague game. So not any PG could show interesting things with 4 PGs when Malédon came back. He had to find rythm, and weeks before COVID, he did some pretty good games. But people look stats, they only think that he didn't improve, or even worse, they may thing he declined. The truth is that last weeks before lockdown, ASVEL had bad times, but watching Malédon and Strazel I had some hope for the end of the season.He was really doing better choices.

So , remember that as 17 he became international player with France even if he didn't world cup, even TP9 did not have his stats at 17, at 18 he was a euroleague starter (I read once, that he is the only 18 years player with Doncic who played starter majority of his team's euroleague games for the last decade). And I do this bet: for Paris 2024, he will be France starting PG (Hayes playing as SG or as 6th man) for France. Sincerly, I do not understand how you may have such a gap between Hayes and Malédon in mock draft.

Conclusion: Ntilikina at #8 was a bust for Knicks, but Malédon at #17 would be a steal for Celtics. I expect that some GM who know basketball will draft him before.


so I'm not sure how many of you remember this, but I have some ties to the french connection crew that was down in SA. It's been awhile, and I've grown more distant from them over the years, but I will share at a high level that TP is VERY high on Maledon. Really, really likes him. Not because he's French. Just from a pure basketball standpoint. And some of the same folks that liked Tony early also really like Maledon. It's a gym rat....great instincts. Good frame and size. Not a perfect prospect, but there's a lot to like about him
The Corey's
Head Coach
Posts: 6,623
And1: 3,139
Joined: Jan 29, 2006

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#496 » by The Corey's » Tue May 26, 2020 10:45 pm

What does re seeding 1 through 16 do for our memphis pick?
reload141
General Manager
Posts: 8,619
And1: 15,299
Joined: Jan 21, 2012
       

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#497 » by reload141 » Tue May 26, 2020 11:20 pm

The Corey's wrote:What does re seeding 1 through 16 do for our memphis pick?


I’m just going to wait until they actually decide what they are doing... talk of a 20 game World Cup style too?
The Corey's
Head Coach
Posts: 6,623
And1: 3,139
Joined: Jan 29, 2006

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#498 » by The Corey's » Tue May 26, 2020 11:27 pm

reload141 wrote:
The Corey's wrote:What does re seeding 1 through 16 do for our memphis pick?


I’m just going to wait until they actually decide what they are doing... talk of a 20 game World Cup style too?


I realized that if they just reseed 1 through 16 it doesnt do much if anything but if they do a round Robin or play in or what not then in a odd way this whole thing may help us boost our position by 4 or 5 slots.

But yes, I'm hoping we get some clearer indication of what's happening really soon here.
User avatar
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
Posts: 26,945
And1: 26,964
Joined: Jul 24, 2009
       

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#499 » by Parliament10 » Tue May 26, 2020 11:30 pm

reload141 wrote:
The Corey's wrote:What does re seeding 1 through 16 do for our memphis pick?


I’m just going to wait until they actually decide what they are doing... talk of a 20 game World Cup style too?

Yeah. 20-Game deal.
Whatever works. I mean COVID-19 messsed Everything up. Going into next season, also.



Read on Twitter
"It's not about me, it's about the Team."
~ Marcus Smart
User avatar
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
Posts: 26,945
And1: 26,964
Joined: Jul 24, 2009
       

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#500 » by Parliament10 » Tue May 26, 2020 11:33 pm

The Corey's wrote:
reload141 wrote:
The Corey's wrote:What does re seeding 1 through 16 do for our memphis pick?


I’m just going to wait until they actually decide what they are doing... talk of a 20 game World Cup style too?


I realized that if they just reseed 1 through 16 it doesnt do much if anything but if they do a round Robin or play in or what not then in a odd way this whole thing may help us boost our position by 4 or 5 slots.

But yes, I'm hoping we get some clearer indication of what's happening really soon here.

Silver is suppose to say something about the direction the NBA is choosing, around June 1st (2020).
"It's not about me, it's about the Team."
~ Marcus Smart

Return to Boston Celtics