ImageImageImage

@NBC Sports & Wyc: Please Replace Scal

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

SLCceltic
Veteran
And1: 1,678

Re: @NBC Sports & Wyc: Please Replace Scal 

Post#61 » by SLCceltic » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:27 pm

patman66 wrote:I like Scal, I think him and Mike work well together. The idea that he isn't good expressed in this thread, took me by surprise.

Mike is brilliant ! would work well with everyone !!
dude is a treasure !!!
ROYALGREEN
neno
Rookie
And1: 918

Post#62 » by neno » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:42 pm

1)Do you guys think scal is better than donny Marshall was?
2) as to who id replace scal with?
Kevin Garnett is my first choice
Carsen Edward's is my second choice (I mean he's already paid just sitting there anyway change seats earn your keep)
Bad-Thoma
Head Coach
And1: 8,981

Post#63 » by Bad-Thoma » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:49 pm

neno wrote:1)Do you guys think scal is better than donny Marshall was?
2) as to who id replace scal with?
Kevin Garnett is my first choice
Carsen Edward's is my second choice (I mean he's already paid just sitting there anyway change seats earn your keep)

I think listening to a blender filled with rusted nails is better than Donny Marshall.
radcot
General Manager
And1: 11,466

Post#64 » by radcot » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:07 am

Scal is definitely better than the average color guy one hears on opposition broadcasts. While he's no Cousy, his basketball insights are pretty sharp. He works well with Mike. Don't watch the postgame so I can't comment on the alleged condescension to Abbey. He could use some tutoring in English grammar. What school he went?
Bad-Thoma
Head Coach
And1: 8,981

Post#65 » by Bad-Thoma » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:27 am

radcot wrote: He could use some tutoring in English grammar. What school he went?

Those sentences back to back kind of made my night.
Big Joke Line
Sixth Man
And1: 1,692

Post#66 » by Big Joke Line » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:25 am

SLCceltic wrote:
Scoonie wrote:I think Scal does a good job. I'm not sure who you think would be so much better.

sign Tacko the second he retires !
until then give toine, kenny andrrson a look Ricky davis wally czerbiak eddie house come to mind

iirc Scal is a Jersey guy and played USC, he wasn't much of a player for us lmao :lol: .... never understood the cultlike status this guy got in Boston
Has to be the hair ..... maybe we can see what Joe klein or brad lohouse are up to these days :lol:

Big Joke Line approves of this post.
Hey Man, nice shot!
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,624

Post#67 » by Fencer reregistered » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:37 am

Taget wrote:
stretch wrote:3) Scal does not bleed green. Danny pointed that out too, as a big gap, during the Tommy memorial event: "Scal, you've got to pick a side." He tries too hard to feign impartiality and an unwillingness to glorify the rosy parts, like a big game from Jaylen. In the process, his entire instinct becomes cynical or negative.

He's ambitious. He's not Tommy whose retirement was announcing Celtics games. Or Gorman who saw it as his likely break into broadcasting and was content just being around all the greats. Scal wants to use it as a stepping stone to "bigger" jobs.

He does the Sirius XM show on NBA Radio. Not at all pro-Celtics on it and when he bites his tongue on criticizing the Celtics he emotes it in such a way that it comes off as more negative than if he just said what he wanted to say. He's of course playing for a different audience.

As an announcer he's fine. Heard better, heard worse. Don't see a particular need to replace him. But if he did get his dream job at ESPN wouldn't be the end of the world.

Good points. I agree.

One thing -- the guy has a sense of humor, as per various interviews or the Scallenge or the taking-my-talents article. But it doesn't seem to be vibrant enough to contribute to the broadcasts. Mike & Tommy were actually a lot funnier than Mike & Scal.

Generally Mike & Tommy were a lot more likeable than Mike & Scal. I miss that.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
grantlongforpresident
Assistant Coach
And1: 124

Post#68 » by grantlongforpresident » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:06 am

Scal is ok. I prefer Tommy.
robbie84
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,374

Post#69 » by robbie84 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:34 pm

Have never listened to him post game but he's an excellent commentator. I hope they keep him as commentator long term.
He can understand how he seems condescending at times, but I think he just lacks awareness of how he sounds. He's just a straight forward guy.
One day Marcus Smart will be defensive player of the year, mark my words.
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,886

Post#70 » by SuperDeluxe » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:33 pm

Re: Scal supposedly mistreating Abby - Listen to this podcast at around the 8:10 mark:
https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/celticspod-abby-chin-interview/id1448785876?i=1000505376715
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#71 » by Fencer reregistered » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:15 pm

robbie84 wrote:Have never listened to him post game but he's an excellent commentator. I hope they keep him as commentator long term.
He can understand how he seems condescending at times, but I think he just lacks awareness of how he sounds. He's just a straight forward guy.

He's given up any attempt to be funny or otherwise likeable or entertaining. But if you're going to take that approach, your analysis should be VERY good, adding insight about lots of specific plays. He doesn't do that.

So what good is he?
robbie84
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,374

Post#72 » by robbie84 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:23 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:
robbie84 wrote:Have never listened to him post game but he's an excellent commentator. I hope they keep him as commentator long term.

He's given up any attempt to be funny or otherwise likeable or entertaining. But if you're going to take that approach, your analysis should be VERY good, adding insight about lots of specific plays. He doesn't do that.

So what good is he?

I disagree. I was a professional basketball player in Australia and I learn alot from Scalabrine. The guy is a very knowledgeable basketball guru. He adds insight on things that most of us would never pick up on. Teams weaknesses, coaching strategy, player tendencies etc..
Not sure why you wouldn't at least give him credit for that.
One day Marcus Smart will be defensive player of the year, mark my words.
Bird4Three
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,508

Post#73 » by Bird4Three » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:55 pm

I feel like Scal and crew (Mike excepted) have possibly been told to bring some playful banter ala the TNT crew, but the problem is that is genuine. Those guys can get away with arguing with each other, because they’re funny and have history together. It started with Draper, who I hated, and Scal has continued it. You can feel the tension between him and Abby or Forsberg, and it’s cringy. He’s a knowledgeable ex-player, but he’s gotta chill with the bully stuff.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#74 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:30 am

robbie84 wrote:
Fencer reregistered wrote:

So what good is he?

I disagree. I was a professional basketball player in Australia and I learn alot from Scalabrine. The guy is a very knowledgeable basketball guru. He adds insight on things that most of us would never pick up on. Teams weaknesses, coaching strategy, player tendencies etc..
Not sure why you wouldn't at least give him credit for that.

I haven't noticed it, but there are many games I don't watch. Maybe I've listened to him on the wrong occasions.

Edit: Pushed to think about it, I'm softening my view already.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,191

Post#75 » by ConstableGeneva » Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:59 pm

Read on Twitter
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#76 » by Fencer reregistered » Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:00 am

ConstableGeneva wrote:
Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

Located in Stamford, CT? Were their original execs out of ESPN or something?
Infinite Llamas
General Manager
And1: 21,311

Post#77 » by Infinite Llamas » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:04 pm

I’m not a Scal fan at all. I would love to get Maxwell as he has a great blend of humor and insight. Scalabrine is condescending, abrasive and his ties to Celtics culture are dubious at best. I was cringing last night when he was talking about how he coached Seth Curry and all but took credit for his development. He has a very high opinion of himself and his expertise. Why not just sit Mike and Sean with Max in the middle and he can do color for both tv and radio lol

Watching the broadcasts with Tommy on was like listening to your biased old grandpa. Maybe his insights by the end weren’t always great but the broadcasts still had a comforting feel to them. It’s a very hard feel to replace....
Gerald Green Loves LLamas!
bobbutts
Sophomore
And1: 155

Post#78 » by bobbutts » Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:05 am

He's annoying and much less funny than he thinks. I feel like a professional broadcaster should have a better command of English too. I still greatly prefer the NBCSN broadcast with him and Gorman to TNT/ESPN/ABC. I'd rate Scal 4 out of 10 and Gorman gets a 9.
The Corey's
RealGM
And1: 6,588

Post#79 » by The Corey's » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:23 am

Scal sucks.

I was very happy when he left to go coach the warriors.

That said he's millions better than donny marshal.

Return to Boston Celtics