ImageImageImage

Welcome to Boston, Jabari Parker!!

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

ballup
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,526

Re: Welcome to Boston, Jabari Parker!! 

Post#301 » by ballup » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:41 pm

TommyForever wrote:
ballup wrote:
TommyForever wrote:
His defensive rating is around league average every year. The year he was very good for Milwaukee he had a 110 defrtg which is average.
110 DRrtg is average for this year. Drtg average was around 107 during his tenure as a Buck. I'm not sure why this is the hill you want to die on

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Dying on a hill or looking at the situation more positively? Dude is average at defense and is only 26 but you all act like his defense is gonna cost us a title.

Being positive or deluding yourself? Jabari is not average at all except for defending ISOs against like sized players. Dude has terrible awareness, is slow to react, has almost no position versatility, and is slow laterally. Everyone is being realistic about his defense, especially when he can only play the 4.

cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#302 » by cloverleaf » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:44 pm

ballup wrote:
TommyForever wrote:
ballup wrote:110 DRrtg is average for this year. Drtg average was around 107 during his tenure as a Buck. I'm not sure why this is the hill you want to die on

Dying on a hill or looking at the situation more positively? Dude is average at defense and is only 26 but you all act like his defense is gonna cost us a title.

Being positive or deluding yourself? Jabari is not average at all except for defending ISOs against like sized players. Dude has terrible awareness, is slow to react, has almost no position versatility, and is slow laterally. Everyone is being realistic about his defense, especially when he can only play the 4.

We're also talking about a bench guy who is superior on O on a team with an O-light and D-heavy team. It'll work for what it is.
TommyForever
Sophomore
And1: 152

Post#303 » by TommyForever » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:46 pm

I must be deluding myself.
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,833

Post#304 » by bucknersrevenge » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:01 pm

ballup wrote:
TommyForever wrote:
ballup wrote:110 DRrtg is average for this year. Drtg average was around 107 during his tenure as a Buck. I'm not sure why this is the hill you want to die on

FWIW, as an aside to this convo:

“This is a plan beyond this year and we’re going to be patient in bringing him along,” said head coach Brad Stevens. “We’re looking mostly at him as a guy that can play some 4 for us, but also maybe some small-ball 5 in some lineups, especially around some of our better players as a ball-mover, as a passer, as a playmaker, as a driver, as a guy that can put the ball in the basket and is a real threat to put the ball in the basket.

https://www.nba.com/celtics/news/sidebar/shoot-041921-jabari-parker-determined-revive-career-boston

Thought it was worth noting Brad's thoughts on the utilization of Parker.

But as it relates to main topic, yeah Parker's D sucks. It sucks now. It has always sucked. I'm hoping Brad can hide it a little bit on some bigs.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
NuckyPowell
General Manager
And1: 9,659

Post#305 » by NuckyPowell » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:40 pm

titlebound1
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,372

Post#306 » by titlebound1 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:53 pm

Considering our options, this is a really solid addition. He is bad on D...it's hard argue that he's even average. But we have a bunch of defenders off the bench, and exactly 1 scorer...and he's been in the protocol for pretty much his entire time here. Parker is going to put up some points for us when the starters are not clicking. I have faith that Brad will be able to hide him on D, so I don't see much of a downside.
GoGreen
Analyst
And1: 3,486

Post#307 » by GoGreen » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:55 pm

This is a no lose situation. He can get buckets, we need buckets.. what's there to complain about?
ballup
Assistant Coach

Post#308 » by ballup » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:05 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
ballup wrote:
TommyForever wrote:

We're also talking about a bench guy who is superior on O on a team with an O-light and D-heavy team. It'll work for what it is.

True, if he's playing 15 minutes in certain situations, he's fine. I'm not changing my assessment on him just because he's a Celtic now. It's not lack of opportunity nor lack of experience. The guy was in the same class as Smart.

cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#309 » by cloverleaf » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:12 pm

ballup wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:
ballup wrote:Being positive or deluding yourself? Jabari is not average at all except for defending ISOs against like sized players. Dude has terrible awareness, is slow to react, has almost no position versatility, and is slow laterally. Everyone is being realistic about his defense, especially when he can only play the 4.

True, if he's playing 15 minutes in certain situations, he's fine. I'm not changing my assessment on him just because he's a Celtic now. It's not lack of opportunity nor lack of experience. The guy was in the same class as Smart.

With his injuries he hasn't played nearly as much as Smart, but with apologies, I specifically meant "O-light and D-heavy bench"--which I think is more accurate and further strengthens the case for a role for him.
ballup
Assistant Coach

Post#310 » by ballup » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:39 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
ballup wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:

With his injuries he hasn't played nearly as much as Smart, but with apologies, I specifically meant "O-light and D-heavy bench"--which I think is more accurate and further strengthens the case for a role for him.

We're not talking about a guy on his rookie contract though. He's played enough to adjust to the NBA's speed.

sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#311 » by sully00 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:47 pm

Hal14 wrote:
sully00 wrote:Like the second year and wanted to make this move any move but can't say is am a huge fan of Parker's game Hated Mo Wagner so addition by subtraction. Has that Evan Turner potential.

But in a world where it had become plausible to give up multiple 1sts for Harrison Barnes this is any easy like.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using RealGM mobile app

You hated Mo Wagner, why? Because you base your opinion only off what he did in a Celtics uniform? Well I guess you hate Nesmith too. Both guys are young, raw, still developing. Have looked like a deer in the headlights.

Wagner only played 9 games for us. 6.8 mins a game. Barely any practices with the new team. Still getting used to the system. Only 23. I really don't put any stock in what he did in those 9 games.

What matters more to me is:

a) what he did before Boston...1st on the wizards in defensive rating, 1st on the wizards in defensive BPM. strong assist % and strong TS% in washington, all despite limited mins and inconsistent mins which make sit tough to find a rhythm.

b) what he might be in the future. 6'11", very quick for a guy that size, good shooter, good defender, plays hard, high energy, only 23 so just scratching the surface of how good he can be in the future. Big enough to play the 4 or the 5. Quick enough to play the 4 or the 5.

No I am quite aware of Wagner's game it just was as bad in person as described. Its is his 3rd year and he still has not adjusted to the speed of the game and he has had as much opportunity as a train wreck is going to get. Whatever allows a Jabari Paker to take a year or two off of basketball and walk on the court and score double figures Wagner just does not have. He was a lousy stop gap big for the rest of this season if he ever gets the chance to develop into a better player no idea but he sucks right now.
Brett43
Junior
And1: 167

Post#312 » by Brett43 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:41 pm

sully00 wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
sully00 wrote:Like the second year and wanted to make this move any move but can't say is am a huge fan of Parker's game Hated Mo Wagner so addition by subtraction. Has that Evan Turner potential.

But in a world where it had become plausible to give up multiple 1sts for Harrison Barnes this is any easy like.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using RealGM mobile app

You hated Mo Wagner, why? Because you base your opinion only off what he did in a Celtics uniform? Well I guess you hate Nesmith too. Both guys are young, raw, still developing. Have looked like a deer in the headlights.

Wagner only played 9 games for us. 6.8 mins a game. Barely any practices with the new team. Still getting used to the system. Only 23. I really don't put any stock in what he did in those 9 games.

What matters more to me is:

a) what he did before Boston...1st on the wizards in defensive rating, 1st on the wizards in defensive BPM. strong assist % and strong TS% in washington, all despite limited mins and inconsistent mins which make sit tough to find a rhythm.

b) what he might be in the future. 6'11", very quick for a guy that size, good shooter, good defender, plays hard, high energy, only 23 so just scratching the surface of how good he can be in the future. Big enough to play the 4 or the 5. Quick enough to play the 4 or the 5.

No I am quite aware of Wagner's game it just was as bad in person as described. Its is his 3rd year and he still has not adjusted to the speed of the game and he has had as much opportunity as a train wreck is going to get. Whatever allows a Jabari Paker to take a year or two off of basketball and walk on the court and score double figures Wagner just does not have. He was a lousy stop gap big for the rest of this season if he ever gets the chance to develop into a better player no idea but he sucks right now.

I think it was foolish to trade for Wagner and then toss him aside before giving him a real chance.

But Jabari and Kornet are both useful pieces.
jpjp
Ballboy
And1: 39

Post#313 » by jpjp » Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:06 pm

You complain a lot about Jabari Parker's defense.
But this year grant williams, except for a little bit against jokic, the rest of the games have been a matter of raising your arms and putting your belly and they were all over him.

Jabari Parker's problem on defense has always been one of attitude, even he acknowledged it himself.
He can defend better than Grant Williams because he is taller, more athletic and 100 times better player.

Seeing the attacks on jabari parker here, and homer simpson grant williams getting off scot-free is laughable.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#314 » by Bleeding Green » Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:04 pm

Jabari Parker can jump higher than Grant Williams, but he has nowhere near the lateral quickness of Grant. Grant has elite lateral quickness and it's pretty much the only reason he's in the league. Jabari has that Obi Toppin/Blake Griffin disease. Can jump out of the gym but can't slide laterally.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
ChopLuey
Ballboy
And1: 48

Post#315 » by ChopLuey » Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:00 pm

Id take Jabari Parker over Grant Williams any day. Grant is an undersized PF/Chubby SF and Brad plays him at center smh. This man is a bonafide scrub. "No disrespect whatsoever, but I’m sorry to tell everybody the truth. The man can not play the game of basketball.
He has small hands, he can’t catch the ball. He’s got bad feet, he can’t really move even though he’s mobile, doesn’t really know what he’s doing. Doesn’t have a post move that he puts to memory that he can do two times in a row.
He has no game whatsoever."
SLCceltic
Veteran
And1: 1,680

Post#316 » by SLCceltic » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:20 pm

ChopLuey wrote:Id take Jabari Parker over Grant Williams any day. Grant is an undersized PF/Chubby SF and Brad plays him at center smh. This man is a bonafide scrub. "No disrespect whatsoever, but I’m sorry to tell everybody the truth. The man can not play the game of basketball.
He has small hands, he can’t catch the ball. He’s got bad feet, he can’t really move even though he’s mobile, doesn’t really know what he’s doing. Doesn’t have a post move that he puts to memory that he can do two times in a row.
He has no game whatsoever."

grant williams is a cerebral glue guy that is knocking down 3s at a very nice rate for yr 2 ....he is having a sophomore slump (esp FTs uggh)

he is good enough to become a 4th or 5th starter/key role player ....the problem here is that we have needed more size and scoring and marcus is our glue guy. its very difficult for GW to consistently shine on this particular roster
ROYALGREEN
SLCceltic
Veteran
And1: 1,680

Post#317 » by SLCceltic » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:34 pm

My Jabari dream has finally come true :droop:
please Please PLEASE stay healthy my friend !!

and we can now get past your choice of Dukie over BYU :evil:

midrange scoring machine and size !
ROYALGREEN
BigTrade92
General Manager
And1: 10,685

Post#318 » by BigTrade92 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:21 am

Jabari needs to be getting all of Grant’s minutes when the team is healthy.

I’d rather suffer a bit on defense but have Parker’s clear advantage of length, athleticism and offensive ability over Grant.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,696

Post#319 » by zoyathedestroya » Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:25 am

I like him. I will like him better once he knows where to be on the floor and what **** they're running lol.
LarryBirdsFingr
RealGM
And1: 18,455

Post#320 » by LarryBirdsFingr » Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:32 am

New binky ? Not yet. Potentially next season binky ? Definitely a possibility.
I don't believe in statistics. There are too many factors that can't be measured. You can't measure a ballplayer's heart. -Red Auerbach

Marcus Smart is an underrated shooter
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Return to Boston Celtics