ImageImageImage

Let's talk Robert Williams

Moderators: bisme37, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10

Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 54,745

Re: Let's talk Robert Williams 

Post#101 » by Parliament10 » Tue Jul 9, 2019 9:04 pm

OldCeltics wrote:
darrendaye wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:

He was a 2x SEC defensive player of the year, wasn't he? That's not usually something that goes to a lazy guy.

I'm not labeling him as lazy. But he does coast and does not yet focus on precision when it comes to positioning. He's immensely talented and tries to at least be a good teammate, that is how he earned those honors. Listen, I'm geeked about the future for this guy and give him the benefit of the doubt that he will push himself to be more consistently active and attentive in time. He showed out today with some phenomenal hustle plays. But there were surely areas for criticism as well.

Summer league is a guards league. Big men never do well. Which makes what Time Lord, and Tacko are doing all the more impressive.

Let him coast a few plays. Bottom line he'll be our best big in 1-2 years.

I Agree with that. I think that in 1-2 years, R. Williams will be our Starting Center.
He's gotta get that operation first, though.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#102 » by Bleeding Green » Tue Jul 9, 2019 9:08 pm

I think the majority of the lazy concerns stem from how easily he seems to move. He looks like he's always jogging, shows no facial emotion generally. Same reason I'm sure people will say Romeo Langford is lazy.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
GregB
RealGM
And1: 2,980

Post#103 » by GregB » Tue Jul 9, 2019 11:02 pm

ddb wrote:Robert Williams just looks like he is gonna be a good pro. I get that feel with him. I think this season he will show us some more flashes of who he can become in this league, and I think by next season (3rd year) he will really start to blossom.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app

I think he’s got a shot.

But he has a ton of work to do when it comes to Floor awareness, any offense outside of dunking or layups. But could be a great center if you surround him with 4 shooters.
TheTruth316
Senior
And1: 273

Post#104 » by TheTruth316 » Tue Jul 9, 2019 11:51 pm

The only time he shows that effort is when he has messed up. He is really laid back. Is it laziness? It's not 100 percent effort.
Leprechaun18
Bench Warmer
And1: 644

Post#105 » by Leprechaun18 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:50 am

Robert Williams has great potential. He can be a dominate player. Does he have much to learn? Yes. Rob Williams III aka The Timelord needs to work on his outside shooting and developing a reliable hook shot near the basket. He also could work on driving to the basket. He has shown good energy setting picks, which his summer league teammates dont even try to use.
FutureIsGreen
Junior
And1: 236

Post#106 » by FutureIsGreen » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:16 am

I feel that with Robbie it's that highschool and NCAA was just to easy to be dominant so he was not ready to face players of the same calibre as himself in the NBA. Once you arrive and struggle a bit for the first time in years it causes a bit of doubt in the mind which leads to overthinking. Once he settles down and gets back to playing well for a small stretch the game will slow back down for him and he will dominate. Just has to keep working hard and he will be just fine going forward.
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,696

Post#107 » by Homerclease » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:27 am

Parliament10 wrote:
OldCeltics wrote:
darrendaye wrote:
I'm not labeling him as lazy. But he does coast and does not yet focus on precision when it comes to positioning. He's immensely talented and tries to at least be a good teammate, that is how he earned those honors. Listen, I'm geeked about the future for this guy and give him the benefit of the doubt that he will push himself to be more consistently active and attentive in time. He showed out today with some phenomenal hustle plays. But there were surely areas for criticism as well.

Summer league is a guards league. Big men never do well. Which makes what Time Lord, and Tacko are doing all the more impressive.

Let him coast a few plays. Bottom line he'll be our best big in 1-2 years.

I Agree with that. I think that in 1-2 years, R. Williams will be our Starting Center.
He's gotta get that operation first, though.

I think he starts this year even though Kanter is the better player. They don’t have enough veterans or scoring off the bench right now. I start Brown and Williams, and bring Kanter and Smart off the bench to carry the second unit.

Williams / Kanter / Poirier
Tatum / G. Williams / Theis
Hayward / Semi
Brown / Edwards / Romeo
Kemba / Smart
Tiny ball
Veteran
And1: 840

Post#108 » by Tiny ball » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:42 am

Leprechaun18 wrote:Robert Williams has great potential. He can be a dominate player. Does he have much to learn? Yes. Rob Williams III aka The Timelord needs to work on his outside shooting and developing a reliable hook shot near the basket. He also could work on driving to the basket. He has shown good energy setting picks, which his summer league teammates dont even try to use.

Celtics organization and teaching inside scoring? Not likely is all I can say.
Tiny ball
Veteran
And1: 840

Post#109 » by Tiny ball » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:45 am

OldCeltics wrote:Robert Williams is not lazy. He is the future of the Celtics big man rotation and will average double double, with 3 blocks per game, given the opportunity.

I have seen this guy loafing too often.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#110 » by cloverleaf » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:42 am

Tiny ball wrote:
OldCeltics wrote:Robert Williams is not lazy. He is the future of the Celtics big man rotation and will average double double, with 3 blocks per game, given the opportunity.

It was presumably him diving to the floor so many times in the 2nd game that led to the hip contusion that kept him out last night.

I don't worry about him playing hard. I do agree that the C's coaching staff is likely not the best for teaching him the tricks in scoring down low.
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,189

Post#111 » by Dogen » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:14 pm

Tiny ball wrote:

Yeah, I caught him smoking under the bleachers at summer league.

And then saw him shooting dice at Logan!

And let’s not forget that time he was found revving his Chevy and drag racing Vin Baker in Connecticut.
Throw it in the corner... Brown fakes, fires up a three... BANG!!! BANG!!! :D
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#112 » by cloverleaf » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:58 pm

FutureIsGreen wrote:I feel that with Robbie it's that highschool and NCAA was just to easy to be dominant so he was not ready to face players of the same calibre as himself in the NBA. Once you arrive and struggle a bit for the first time in years it causes a bit of doubt in the mind which leads to overthinking. Once he settles down and gets back to playing well for a small stretch the game will slow back down for him and he will dominate. Just has to keep working hard and he will be just fine going forward.

The competition of Fall could keep him working too.
Leprechaun18
Bench Warmer
And1: 644

Post#113 » by Leprechaun18 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:09 pm

Tiny ball wrote:

I have seen RWIII on the floor wrestling for balls and making good passes. He also sets many picks that guards are to lazy or stupid to use. RWIII is always active on defense. He also boxes out more than anyone else on the team. Think before you call someone a loafer Peeps nowadays just like to go online and b*tch.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 28,364

Post#114 » by 31to6 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:31 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:I think the majority of the lazy concerns stem from how easily he seems to move. He looks like he's always jogging, shows no facial emotion generally. Same reason I'm sure people will say Romeo Langford is lazy.

Parish was said to be lazy before we got him.

Paul Pierce appreciation society.
DarkAzcura
General Manager
And1: 7,170

Post#115 » by DarkAzcura » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:37 pm

Tiny ball wrote:

People often confuse slow moving (whether it is due to conditioning, court awareness, or athleticism) for loafing around. I’m with others. A guy who loafs won’t dive to the floor multiple times in a game. You are probably confusing whatever you are perceiving as laziness for something else. With Williams, I think it is a combination of conditioning and court awareness making his actions look slow at times. Conditioning is a common issue with bigs no matter how hard they work off the court. Court awareness should hopefully improve with time and experience.
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#116 » by cloverleaf » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:07 pm

Leprechaun18 wrote:
Tiny ball wrote:

I have seen RWIII on the floor wrestling for balls and making good passes. He also sets many picks that guards are to lazy or stupid to use. RWIII is always active on defense. He also boxes out more than anyone else on the team. Think before you call someone a loafer Peeps nowadays just like to go online and b*tch.

Good post. No reason at all to call Rob lazy.
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 9,033

Post#117 » by sam_I_am » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:07 pm

RW’s ticket to success is to play defense like KG. I don’t know what you want to call it - motor, drive, self awareness, BBIQ, - RW’s approach is nowhere close to KG and KG had so much talent he could get away with being lazy if he ever wanted to. Offensively, RW can keep it simple for a few years and that won’t matter so much. However, if he can use his length, speed and hops to just be everywhere 80% of the way KG was......he’ll be a huge asset. The talent to be that guy is there. Just haven’t seen the focus in SL yet.
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#118 » by cloverleaf » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:17 pm

sam_I_am wrote:RW’s ticket to success is to play defense like KG. I don’t know what you want to call it - motor, drive, self awareness, BBIQ, - RW’s approach is nowhere close to KG and KG had so much talent he could get away with being lazy if he ever wanted to. Offensively, RW can keep it simple for a few years and that won’t matter so much. However, if he can use his length, speed and hops to just be everywhere 80% of the way KG was......he’ll be a huge asset. The talent to be that guy is there. Just haven’t seen the focus in SL yet.

Asking any player, especially a non-lottery pick, to be the next KG is simply not fair.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 54,745

Post#119 » by Parliament10 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:21 am

I hope that R.Williams can play tomorrow night.
He's listed as a game-time decision.

Read on Twitter
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 9,033

Post#120 » by sam_I_am » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:59 am

cloverleaf wrote:
sam_I_am wrote:RW’s ticket to success is to play defense like KG. I don’t know what you want to call it - motor, drive, self awareness, BBIQ, - RW’s approach is nowhere close to KG and KG had so much talent he could get away with being lazy if he ever wanted to. Offensively, RW can keep it simple for a few years and that won’t matter so much. However, if he can use his length, speed and hops to just be everywhere 80% of the way KG was......he’ll be a huge asset. The talent to be that guy is there. Just haven’t seen the focus in SL yet.

Asking any player, especially a non-lottery pick, to be the next KG is simply not fair.

Reading comprehension?

Return to Boston Celtics