ImageImageImage

Welcome Derrick White – (Agreed on $125.9M Extension)

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Froob, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts

Fierce1
RealGM
And1: 12,888

Re: Welcome Derrick White 

Post#101 » by Fierce1 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:53 am

Those who think White is not an upgrade over Josh then you must not have seen White play for the San Antonio Spurs.
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,859

Post#102 » by BostonCouchGM » Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:57 am

He’s so good the Spurs drafted guys to make him expendable in back to back drafts!! Some people will defend everything this organization does. The Spurs must have been shocked when we added the first round pick and future swap. Holy smokes is this one of the worst trades we’ve ever done.
makubesu
Sixth Man
And1: 1,981

Post#103 » by makubesu » Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:13 am

I’m not super confident in this trade. But look at teams like the Cavs, Bulls, Heat, and Raptors sitting above us in the standings, it definitely feels like having a more robust roster is key.
LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,311

Post#104 » by LewisnotMiller » Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:23 am

We have the makings of a very flexible, switchy defence that retains a solid offensive edge now.
A little small, and not overly quick, granted, but this feels like the type of team Brad is looking to build. 7 or 8 two way players who can slide up and down positions.

White will be easy to cheer for.
TheMartian
General Manager
And1: 6,627

Post#105 » by TheMartian » Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:23 am

bisme37 wrote:GREY, a Spurs fan and one of the best posters on the GB, said this..

Gutted. I get it from a longer-term vision for our team, but Derrick is my favourite Spur. Before that it was Patty, so watch out next Spur I get attached to lol

Derrick peaked in the bubble where he averaged 18PPG and took over 8 3s a game at good efficiency, and when he started against Denver in the playoffs before that. Since then, he hasn't reached that level, but it's a function of context as well.

He'll be incredible for the Cs as well - good facilitator, combo guard so can run point or be off ball, can shoot 3, physical drives, great on P&R, excellent defender, steps up to take charges, EXCELLENT human being - read up on his story trying to get noticed to get to the NBA, and excellent in the community.

That said, we've got a glut of guards, and with Devin and Primo coming up, both on rookie deals, I think Derrick costing us more than DJ in the front court was a tough but perhaps necessary deal.

Derrick loves Tatum - budding bromance from Team USA, and he's familiar with the coaching staff (Udoka, Hardy) who likely advocated for him.

He'll open up your passing, excellent locker room guy, great dad jokes, uuuuugh I miss him already... gutted, I get it but yeah, tough day from an emotional, fan stand point.

He just got married this summer and he and his wife are expecting, so big changes.

I feel he'll open his game more with having the talent Cs have around him and they'll benefit from his steady presence and willingness to pass. Just don't get too down on him when he's having an inefficient shooting night. He'll still always give you something on the D end.

TAKE GOOD CARE OF HIM, C'S FANS! You're now my East team. Sort of a full circle return as when I started watching the NBA I cheered for the Cs... Good luck!

Awesome. Wouldn't surprise me if JT advocated to get White on the team.

Excited on what he can bring to the table. Not just on the court but in the locker room as well.

JRich seemed to be a good locker room guy and had good chemistry with his teammates. Saddened to see him go.
poopship
Junior
And1: 611

Post#106 » by poopship » Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:39 am

BostonCouchGM wrote:He’s so good the Spurs drafted guys to make him expendable in back to back drafts!! Some people will defend everything this organization does. The Spurs must have been shocked when we added the first round pick and future swap. Holy smokes is this one of the worst trades we’ve ever done.

This is not a fair point. The spurs have plain and simple drafted to find all star talent and nobody is saying that's the level White is at.
steefP2
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,726

Post#107 » by steefP2 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:51 am

He’s my binkie
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 97,394

Post#108 » by zoyathedestroya » Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:27 am

steefP2
Lead Assistant

Post#109 » by steefP2 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:18 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21
steefP2
Lead Assistant

Post#110 » by steefP2 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:22 am

Interesting stats about white’s shooting btw. He’s hitting 35% from non corner spots and only 22% (!!!!) from the corner. Have to think that’s anomalous and will tick up. I trust he’s a mid 30 shooter from deep + he should get better looks working off Tatum

Edit: white shot 48,37,36 in his previous season from the corner so this 22% really stands out
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 26,991

Post#111 » by Fencer reregistered » Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:42 am

Curmudgeon wrote:Meh. The swap is worthless if the Celtics have a better team than the Spurs in 2028. That's not much of an asset. This year is a weak draft except at the top, so I see why Stevens did it. But I still hate giving up picks.

I'm guessing from these moves that the quest for Bradly Beal is likely over. It's just as well IMHO.

Beal isn't over from our end.

But Washington will presumably sign him to an enormous deal before his repaired wrist has ever been checked out in serious play. And then they'll see how the Beal/Porzingis combination works out before seriously considering a rebuild.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#112 » by Gomes3PC » Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:11 pm

I do not love the swap being so lightly protected, but suppose I can live with it. The odds of the Celtics being terrible AND the Spurs also being picking outside the lottery is not great. No disrespect to SAS but post-Kawhi they've not really been able to put together a coherent team. They've picked 12th, 11th, 18th and 19th the last 4 drafts, are set to pick 6th year and don't seem to have a clear path to contention. 6 years though is a long time so hard to know what is going to unfold there.
Larry_Russell
General Manager
And1: 5,338

Post#113 » by Larry_Russell » Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:00 pm

I posted this thought in the trade thread yesterday, but I wanted to post more clearly my theory.

Everyone knows that this team is going to go out of their way to keep not only Jayson, but Jaylen happy. Most people thought this would involve the celtics taking a run at beal.

I now feel like Brad does not like what Beal would bring and does not like the cost he would garner. That is why this deal for White (even though some see it as an overpay, I do not)

This season (which has been a bit of a down season for both) has Derrick white as being better than Beal in the following:

Offensive rating
Defensive rating
2P%
3P%
EFG%
FT%
TS%
FTr%
3PAr%
sTL%
bLK%
TOV%
OWS
DWS
WS
WS/48
DBPM
BPM
VORP
Contract
Beal has a slight advantage over white in:
TRB% (7.1 to 6.1)
AST% (31.7 to 25.2)
12 potential assists
16.8 assist points created

Beal scores 23.2ppg on 19.3 shots (1.2 points per shot)
White scores 14.5ppg on 11.6 shots (1.25 points per shot)

This deal has given us much more flexibility and a player younger, cheaper, who may not be as good offensively as beal but whose defense is so much better than beal that it makes up for the slight decrease in offense

White is also a close friend who fits far better as the 3rd "star". Our starting lineup is now set. Horford will probably start for most of the season, but we are going to be seeing more and more of a Smart/White/Brown/Tatum/Timelord run on the court.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 56,117

Post#114 » by Parliament10 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:29 pm

Read on Twitter
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
TheMartian
General Manager
And1: 6,627

Post#115 » by TheMartian » Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:12 pm

Read on Twitter
NuckyPowell
General Manager
And1: 10,289

Post#116 » by NuckyPowell » Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:13 pm

robbie84 wrote:34% career 3pt shooter that plays HARD and Plays excellent D.

I don't even know much about White, but that is great D.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 66,090

Post#117 » by Celts17Pride » Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:30 pm

Read on Twitter
Larry_Russell
General Manager

Post#118 » by Larry_Russell » Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:31 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:
Read on Twitter

I want to see white TONIGHT

Lets GOOOOO
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 66,090

Post#119 » by Celts17Pride » Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:33 pm

Read on Twitter
Larry_Russell
General Manager

Post#120 » by Larry_Russell » Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:36 pm

I soo want to see a
Smart
White
Brown
Tatum
Timelord

run, and see them get extended minutes. I think that is one of the most lethal offensive units in the league as the surrounding player compliment the jays well, and the defense is tops in the league, hands down.

Timelord is really going to benefit from playing with these 4 guys too. His lobs/layups per game is going to go up.

White is excellent at getting downhill and normally is a Great midrange shooter and an at least average 3pt shooter
Jays are offensive monsters.

Smart can post up, make an open catch and shoot etc like he has been. Just dont force it and instead push the ball.

I am getting more an more excited about Smart ALWAYS having someone running out HARD with him on turnovers and defensive stops.

Opposing teams are going to HATE going up against us with those 2 up top.

Teams like Philly
Embiid will have Timelord, Horford, Theis, Tatum to deal with and Harden has to contend with Smart, White, Brown, Tatum

lol.

Thats insane

The defense is going to exhaust teams and make our offense EASIER

Return to Boston Celtics