ImageImageImage

GAME – Lakers (23-26) @ Celtics (35-15) – 8:30PM, Sat, Jan. 28, 2023

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Froob, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts

Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,469

Re: GAME – Lakers (23-26) @ Celtics (35-15) – 8:30PM, Sat, Jan. 28, 2023 

Post#1141 » by Feed Your Head » Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:42 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:
The Comedian wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:So we at least admit he was bad in the 1st half and not just because of fatigue?

Of course. But what Joe is doing with him is not something we can continue with. Over his last 6 games he’s playing 43 mpg, that would make Nick Nurse or Thibs uncomfortable lol.

Joe and him have an understanding. I think it was a few games ago when Joe asked him if he wanted a breather and he said no. I'm just assuming Joe checks on him every now and again.

Coaches need to protect players like that from themselves lol, it’s January.
Darthlukey
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 3,515

Post#1142 » by Darthlukey » Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:46 am

RB34 wrote:Lakers fans acting like they’ve never gotten calls before.

Same with lebron. Has benefited from superstar calls for 18 years. He is no longer top dog and not getting the calls all his way and apparently that's not fair
PierceFan4ever
RealGM
And1: 40,427

Post#1143 » by PierceFan4ever » Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:46 am

GrandTheftRondo wrote:
PierceFan4ever wrote:It’s okay crybaby lakers fan remember y’all got 20 free throws in game 7 of the finals so this makes up .05 percent of that

Yeah they can kiss our asses.

Don’t forget about the Gasol and one where he landed on the ground.

100% remember that. That up and down pushed the lead to 6 followed by Rasheed hitting a 3 which would’ve cut the lead to 1 instead of 3 at that time late in the game.

Or how about Wade getting away with smacking the **** out of rondo in game 2 of the eastern conference finals double OT with the Celtics having the lead up until the no call which led to a Heat basket? But all these lakers or fake lakers bronsexual fans will claim Lebron and their team never get respect. They can **** off with that logic
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,693

Post#1144 » by dice » Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:19 am

Hal14 wrote:yikes, that replay of the lebron drive..they showed the replay when they were interviewing JB, looked like tatum hit lebron on the arm.

well, whatever. i'm sure there were some calls the lakers got too..

since you mention it...on the same play, lebron took his last dribble just inside the arc and took 3 full steps to the rim before getting fouled

of course, traveling doesn't count in the nba anymore, so that won't show up in the 2 minute report
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
zuju
Senior
And1: 135

Post#1145 » by zuju » Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:25 am

Darthlukey wrote:

Same with lebron. Has benefited from superstar calls for 18 years. He is no longer top dog and not getting the calls all his way and apparently that's not fair

Lakers fans come in peace

This one is a very obvious one. We can be / are rightfully angry with this. Lebron may have some superstar calls. He had so many no calls as well esp for his layups.

You are Celtics fans, you are happy for a win. I understand. But please don't take it as if Lebron deserves no call on that one.
RB34
RealGM
And1: 16,287

Post#1146 » by RB34 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:32 am

zuju wrote:
Darthlukey wrote:

This one is a very obvious one. We can be / are rightfully angry with this. Lebron may have some superstar calls. He had so many no calls as well esp for his layups.

You are Celtics fans, you are happy for a win. I understand. But please don't take it as if Lebron deserves no call on that one.

Absolutely deserved a call on that. Ref was in the right place. My comment still stands. Every team gets screwed from time to time.
fallguy
Head Coach
And1: 11,396

Post#1147 » by fallguy » Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:35 am

PierceFan4ever wrote:
GrandTheftRondo wrote:
PierceFan4ever wrote:It’s okay crybaby lakers fan remember y’all got 20 free throws in game 7 of the finals so this makes up .05 percent of that

Yeah they can kiss our asses.

Don’t forget about the Gasol and one where he landed on the ground.

100% remember that. That up and down pushed the lead to 6 followed by Rasheed hitting a 3 which would’ve cut the lead to 1 instead of 3 at that time late in the game.

Or how about Wade getting away with smacking the **** out of rondo in game 2 of the eastern conference finals double OT with the Celtics having the lead up until the no call which led to a Heat basket? But all these lakers or fake lakers bronsexual fans will claim Lebron and their team never get respect. They can **** off with that logic

Game 7 in 2010 can go **** itself.
zuju
Senior

Post#1148 » by zuju » Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:28 am

RB34 wrote:
zuju wrote:
Darthlukey wrote:Same with lebron. Has benefited from superstar calls for 18 years. He is no longer top dog and not getting the calls all his way and apparently that's not fair

Absolutely deserved a call on that. Ref was in the right place. My comment still stands. Every team gets screwed from time to time.

Your comment is on point from LBJ deserving a call to every team got screwed from time to time.

To players and to fans, it is always best to play / watch fairly officiated games. I would not mind losing if the game is fairly played and officiated. The better team gets the win. Fans can simply enjoy the games.

NBA should put out some measures to improve the officiation. For example, VR which is used in soccer or fining referees for obvious mistakes etc.
Darthlukey
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 3,515

Post#1149 » by Darthlukey » Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:50 am

zuju wrote:
RB34 wrote:
zuju wrote:

Your comment is on point from LBJ deserving a call to every team got screwed from time to time.

To players and to fans, it is always best to play / watch fairly officiated games. I would not mind losing if the game is fairly played and officiated. The better team gets the win. Fans can simply enjoy the games.

NBA should put out some measures to improve the officiation. For example, VR which is used in soccer or fining referees for obvious mistakes etc.

That'll never happen. It's a superstar league. Stars will always get the calls. For 18 years it was bron, now for example, its giannis elbows and travels. Even tatum gets them, though to a much lesser extent. The league wants to market players not teams (unless it's the lakers typically)
zuju
Senior

Post#1150 » by zuju » Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:57 am

Darthlukey wrote:
zuju wrote:
RB34 wrote:

That'll never happen. It's a superstar league. Stars will always get the calls. For 18 years it was bron, now for example, its giannis elbows and travels. Even tatum gets them, though to a much lesser extent. The league wants to market players not teams (unless it's the lakers typically)

Superstar calls? Sure. That's the norm. When a play is 50-50. You lean towards stars. Fine.

But when referee's decision affects the game too much, Fans tends to hate the player as well. Harden is an example. Too smart of him to play the rules and referees helped him. A lot of basketball fans hate him.

I get your point though.
RB34
RealGM
And1: 16,287

Post#1151 » by RB34 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:47 am

Called out.

Read on Twitter
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,693

Post#1152 » by dice » Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:58 am

zuju wrote:
Darthlukey wrote:

don't act as if he didn't travel prior to getting fouled
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
Wes-J
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,769

Post#1153 » by Wes-J » Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:27 am

MagicBagley18 wrote:Way bigger issue tonight is what joes doing to Tatum. Long term it’s not gonna be good

There's no way to prove heavy usage (minutes played) factors into long or even short term physical issues.

Just for context look at all the great ones and they were averaging around 40 min/game, played damn nearly every game and seemed just fine, back when the game was far more physical. Today the game is soft, you can't get away with stuff like from before.

Hell Tatum even plays better on the b2b's. He'll be fine.
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 9,408

Post#1154 » by sam_I_am » Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:27 am

Wes-J wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:Way bigger issue tonight is what joes doing to Tatum. Long term it’s not gonna be good

There's no way to prove heavy usage (minutes played) factors into long or even short term physical issues.

Just for context look at all the great ones and they were averaging around 40 min/game, played damn nearly every game and seemed just fine, back when the game was far more physical. Today the game is soft, you can't get away with stuff like from before.

Agreed. Days off matter more. If you are playing there is all the minutes of warmups plus game time minutes. Playing 5 extra minutes in a game matters so little. If Tatum is wearing down…..he needs days off.
"I think the criticism's stupid," Stevens said. "So I don't care. I'm with Jaylen (Brown) on that. Those two had achieved more than most 25 and 26 year olds ever had. I'd rather be in the mix and have my guts ripped out than suck."
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,333

Post#1155 » by MagicBagley18 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:54 pm

Wes-J wrote:

I mean I never said physical issues. I said he’s going to be extremely gassed by the time the finals/ECF come. Meaning tired. He’ll play through it he’s a a beast but He just wore down in the finals from carrying the team the entire playoffs and season. You can’t play guys back to back 40+ mins like that in January.

Not to mention your speaking about guys from the past but Tatum has lapped the field in minutes played over the last 5 years compared to the next guy. We have literally no idea how he’ll be by June but I’d guess the heavier the minutes the more worn down he’ll be. That’s just basic low hanging fruit stuff. It’s not just Tatum either, brown has seen a nearly 3 mpg increase.

As far as Tatum goes -He’s played the most minutes between regular season and playoffs over the last 5 years than any other player in the league and done so with a wide gap. He’s played 1,135 minutes and 14 more games than the next closest player and that doesn’t include the year where he did the Olympics all summer. Minutes wise he’s played a half season more than anyone else since he’s been drafted.

Further more there’s no reason when we brought in guys like brogdon to shore up the bench that that should correlate to more minutes for Tatum (or brown really) than he’s ever played in his career. When you look at actual data and see how the team falls off a cliff when he’s not on the court and factor in the load he Shoulders there’s no way that’s a positive.

Not to mention he’s a top 6 player in the nba and while the goal is to win immediately it would be simpleton level view to say”ahhh he’ll be alright” and just focus on THIS season when long term his health and play basically correlates to anything significant the Celtics will do over the next 5 years. “He needs more days off” yeah…..but he doesn’t take them and if a coach can’t police his minutes do we trust he can save a player from himself when he wants to play every game? He’s played 83% of his games in his career. of a possible 492 he’s played 413.

He doesn’t sit……he’s a modern nba iron man when it comes to superstars which is why minutes are important for a guy who takes no days off.
Stan34
Senior
And1: 487

Post#1156 » by Stan34 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:16 pm

Tatum is as strong as Pierce. Never gets injured but he has to rest here and there. We are going to play Detroit twice and Charlotte before the ASG. Those are games he could miss, Celtics can win those games without him.

Inviato dal mio moto g(7) plus utilizzando Tapatalk
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 6,695

Post#1157 » by shackles10 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:21 pm

Stan34 wrote:Tatum is as strong as Pierce. Never gets injured but he has to rest here and there. We are going to play Detroit twice and Charlotte before the ASG. Those are games he could miss, Celtics can win those games without him.

Inviato dal mio moto g(7) plus utilizzando Tapatalk

It’d be nice to pick up a wing so we don’t have to only sit him out one games like those. If we had someone else then JB could sit one of those out and Tatum could take another game somewhere else against a team not quite as bad. Part of the reason why JT got here is because JB missed games and JT didn’t get any rest. If we start load managing Tatum then JB gets into that danger zone himself. I trust Tatum more to still be a positive factor when worn out than JB too.
Wes-J
Assistant Coach

Post#1158 » by Wes-J » Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:21 pm

MagicBagley18 wrote:
Wes-J wrote:

I mean I never said physical issues. I said he’s going to be extremely gassed by the time the finals/ECF come. Meaning tired. He’ll play through it he’s a a beast but He just wore down in the finals from carrying the team the entire playoffs and season. You can’t play guys back to back 40+ mins like that in January.

Not to mention your speaking about guys from the past but Tatum has lapped the field in minutes played over the last 5 years compared to the next guy. We have literally no idea how he’ll be by June but I’d guess the heavier the minutes the more worn down he’ll be. That’s just basic low hanging fruit stuff. It’s not just Tatum either, brown has seen a nearly 3 mpg increase.

As far as Tatum goes -He’s played the most minutes between regular season and playoffs over the last 5 years than any other player in the league and done so with a wide gap. He’s played 1,135 minutes and 14 more games than the next closest player and that doesn’t include the year where he did the Olympics all summer. Minutes wise he’s played a half season more than anyone else since he’s been drafted.

Further more there’s no reason when we brought in guys like brogdon to shore up the bench that that should correlate to more minutes for Tatum (or brown really) than he’s ever played in his career. When you look at actual data and see how the team falls off a cliff when he’s not on the court and factor in the load he Shoulders there’s no way that’s a positive.

Not to mention he’s a top 6 player in the nba and while the goal is to win immediately it would be simpleton level view to say”ahhh he’ll be alright” and just focus on THIS season when long term his health and play basically correlates to anything significant the Celtics will do over the next 5 years. “He needs more days off” yeah…..but he doesn’t take them and if a coach can’t police his minutes do we trust he can save a player from himself when he wants to play every game? He’s played 83% of his games in his career. of a possible 492 he’s played 413.

He doesn’t sit……he’s a modern nba iron man when it comes to superstars which is why minutes are important for a guy who takes no days off.

You're blowing things out of proportion, you don't need to make excuses for him if it comes down to it.

Jordan, lebron, Kobe, Bird, Durant, McGrady, KG, Pierce etc etc etc take any superstar were all hovering around 40mpg in their primes, didn't seem to affect them. These guys play ball year round with barely any time off, it's what their bodies know. Tatum is a superstar and ironman. Joe is doing just fine, we don't need to baby him or Jaylen for that matter.
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,333

Post#1159 » by MagicBagley18 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:56 pm

Wes-J wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:
Wes-J wrote:

You're blowing things out of proportion, you don't need to make excuses for him if it comes down to it.

Jordan, lebron, Kobe, Bird, Durant, McGrady, KG, Pierce etc etc etc take any superstar were all hovering around 40mpg in their primes, didn't seem to affect them. These guys play ball year round with barely any time off, it's what their bodies know. Tatum is a superstar and ironman. Joe is doing just fine, we don't need to baby him or Jaylen for that matter.

I’m not babying him….Relying so much on these guys particularly Jayson but essentially both isn’t good for the team. We don’t have a huge talent gap over the other teams like milwaukee, golden state etc.

Jordan, Kobe, bird, Durant, Duncan are top 10 all time guys…I’m bullish on Tatum but come on. McGrady couldn’t stay healthy - I wouldn’t hitch my argument to him if I was you. Making sure you best players aren’t gassed by June (which literally just happened) isn’t babying players. Bird literally fell apart much earlier in his career than he should have lol.

Why isn’t Giannis playing 34 a game? Embiid under 35? Ja morant more than 33? Booker more than 34?
Wes-J
Assistant Coach

Post#1160 » by Wes-J » Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:09 pm

MagicBagley18 wrote:
Wes-J wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:

I’m not babying him….Relying so much on these guys particularly Jayson but essentially both isn’t good for the team. We don’t have a huge talent gap over the other teams like milwaukee, golden state etc.

Jordan, Kobe, bird, Durant, Duncan are top 10 all time guys…I’m bullish on Tatum but come on. McGrady couldn’t stay healthy - I wouldn’t hitch my argument to him if I was you. Making sure you best players aren’t gassed by June (which literally just happened) isn’t babying players.

Why isn’t Giannis playing 34 a game? Embiid under 35? Ja morant more than 33? Booker more than 34?

Well Morant and especially Embiid are exceptions. I would certainly be more inclined to load manage Embiid considering his size and the foot injury history. I think Giannis should be playing 40mpg assuming he's healthy, no excuses he's the Greek freak. I'm not sure what's going on with Morant, obviously he's got some history. All I'm saying is as long as Tatum continues to prove his durability, play him early and often.

I certainly am not gonna say he's in the company of those greats yet but he's certainly on the way. Agree to disagree, I'm not worried about the minutes he's proven hard core, especially with his body type.

Return to Boston Celtics