ImageImageImage

GAME – Lakers (23-26) @ Celtics (35-15) – 8:30PM, Sat, Jan. 28, 2023

Moderators: bisme37, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10

MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Re: GAME – Lakers (23-26) @ Celtics (35-15) – 8:30PM, Sat, Jan. 28, 2023 

Post#1161 » by MagicBagley18 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:12 pm

Wes-J wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:
Wes-J wrote:
You're blowing things out of proportion, you don't need to make excuses for him if it comes down to it.

Jordan, lebron, Kobe, Bird, Durant, McGrady, KG, Pierce etc etc etc take any superstar were all hovering around 40mpg in their primes, didn't seem to affect them. These guys play ball year round with barely any time off, it's what their bodies know. Tatum is a superstar and ironman. Joe is doing just fine, we don't need to baby him or Jaylen for that matter.

I’m not babying him….Relying so much on these guys particularly Jayson but essentially both isn’t good for the team. We don’t have a huge talent gap over the other teams like milwaukee, golden state etc.

Jordan, Kobe, bird, Durant, Duncan are top 10 all time guys…I’m bullish on Tatum but come on. McGrady couldn’t stay healthy - I wouldn’t hitch my argument to him if I was you. Making sure you best players aren’t gassed by June (which literally just happened) isn’t babying players.

Why isn’t Giannis playing 34 a game? Embiid under 35? Ja morant more than 33? Booker more than 34?

Well Morant and especially Embiid are exceptions. I would certainly be more inclined to load manage Embiid considering his size and the foot injury history. I think Giannis should be playing 40mpg assuming he's healthy, no excuses he's the Greek freak. I'm not sure what's going on with Morant, obviously he's got some history. All I'm saying is as long as Tatum continues to prove his durability, play him early and often.

I certainly am not gonna say he's in the company of those greats yet but he's certainly on the way. Agree to disagree, I'm not worried about the minutes he's proven hard core, especially with his body type.

Ahh gotcha. Exceptions. Yeah you are right agree to disagree.
Wes-J
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,769

Post#1162 » by Wes-J » Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:11 pm

MagicBagley18 wrote:
Wes-J wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:
I’m not babying him….Relying so much on these guys particularly Jayson but essentially both isn’t good for the team. We don’t have a huge talent gap over the other teams like milwaukee, golden state etc.

Jordan, Kobe, bird, Durant, Duncan are top 10 all time guys…I’m bullish on Tatum but come on. McGrady couldn’t stay healthy - I wouldn’t hitch my argument to him if I was you. Making sure you best players aren’t gassed by June (which literally just happened) isn’t babying players.

Why isn’t Giannis playing 34 a game? Embiid under 35? Ja morant more than 33? Booker more than 34?

Well Morant and especially Embiid are exceptions. I would certainly be more inclined to load manage Embiid considering his size and the foot injury history. I think Giannis should be playing 40mpg assuming he's healthy, no excuses he's the Greek freak. I'm not sure what's going on with Morant, obviously he's got some history. All I'm saying is as long as Tatum continues to prove his durability, play him early and often.

I certainly am not gonna say he's in the company of those greats yet but he's certainly on the way. Agree to disagree, I'm not worried about the minutes he's proven hard core, especially with his body type.

Lol, you seriously brought Embiid into the equation then yeah we have no choice to agree to disagree.

Tatum is fine. It's not an issue till it becomes one. Otherwise you're just speculating at best.
MagicBagley18
RealGM

Post#1163 » by MagicBagley18 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:19 pm

Wes-J wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:
Wes-J wrote:

Lol, you seriously brought Embiid into the equation then yeah we have no choice to agree to disagree.

Tatum is fine. It's not an issue till it becomes one. Otherwise you're just speculating at best.

I’m bringing up the other mvp caliber guys and contemporaries to Tatum…,you brought up Tracy mcgrady and then Larry bird. Larry birds peak was derailed much sooner than it needed to be. T Mac….one of the biggest what ifs in nba history….solid examples for your iron man theory.
Wes-J
Assistant Coach

Post#1164 » by Wes-J » Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:42 pm

MagicBagley18 wrote:
Wes-J wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:

I’m bringing up the other mvp caliber guys and contemporaries to Tatum…,you brought up Tracy mcgrady and then Larry bird. Larry birds peak was derailed much sooner than it needed to be. T Mac….one of the biggest what ifs in nba history….solid examples for your iron man theory.

I brought up MVP caliber HOF caliber guys too. It was a short list, I can do list a lot more MVP types that played with heavy usage. Bird's career got derailed on the back end of his career. Can you say without a doubt this was due to his minutes usage? Hell, with modern medicine, modern nutrition, and technology these guys are more suited to play year round than ever before I don't even see how there's an argument.

I think your theory is thin but whatever let's scale Tatum's minutes 34-35mpg so he won't get gassed.
MagicBagley18
RealGM

Post#1165 » by MagicBagley18 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:44 pm

Wes-J wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:
Wes-J wrote:

I brought up MVP caliber HOF caliber guys too. It was a short list, I can do list a lot more MVP types that played with heavy usage. Bird's career got derailed on the back end of his career. Can you say without a doubt this was due to his minutes usage? Hell, with modern medicine, modern nutrition, and technology these guys are more suited to play year round than ever before I don't even see how there's an argument.

I think your theory is thin but whatever let's scale Tatum's minutes 34-35mpg so he won't get gassed.

As I also brought up others like booker and morant and Giannis. But you also said agree to disagree 3 replies ago so maybe ……we should

But yes more modern medicine and better technology and yet more load management and games off for players. it’s almost like science may agree.

Yet Tatum doesn’t load manage which therein lies the problem of his minutes.
Wes-J
Assistant Coach

Post#1166 » by Wes-J » Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:47 pm

MagicBagley18 wrote:
Wes-J wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:

As I also brought up others like booker and morant and Giannis. But you also said agree to disagree 3 replies ago so maybe ……we should

You're talking about worries of him getting "gassed". You bring up the likes of Bird with his back and then Embiid (foot issues). Stop man, comparing apples and oranges here.
MagicBagley18
RealGM

Post#1167 » by MagicBagley18 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:54 pm

Wes-J wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:
Wes-J wrote:

You're talking about worries of him getting "gassed". You bring up the likes of Bird with his back and then Embiid (foot issues). Stop man, comparing apples and oranges here.

Actually I brought up 2 issues one- in the immediate ; him being gassed by the end of this season, Like he was in the finals and how that pertains to our title chances this year with him and brown playing so much.

And 2 ; how him playing so much will affect his long term longevity for us in the future. Both issues were mentioned in my initial reply to you. You brought up the physical ramifications of heavy minutes and the correlation (or lack there of depending on opinion) to injuries.I was initially speaking from an energy/gas perspective.

Both are potential issues but my initial concern as previously mentioned is this year. If I was too ambitious for you trying to cover both topics I apologize.

:wink:
Wes-J
Assistant Coach

Post#1168 » by Wes-J » Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:00 pm

MagicBagley18 wrote:
Wes-J wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:

Actually I brought up 2 issues one in the immediate ; him being gassed by the end of this season. Like he was in the finals and how that pertains to our title chances this year with him and brown playing so much.

And 2 ; how him playing so much will affect his long term longevity for us in the future. Both issues in my initial reply to you. It was actually you who brought physical ramifications of heavy minutes. I was initially speaking from an energy/gas perspective

And I'm not necessarily saying you're wrong, we just don't really know on this issue.

I think he's fine as is. If he had some sort of injury history then I would pause. As for being gassed in the finals, it's the finals man. Everybody is gassed.
MagicBagley18
RealGM

Post#1169 » by MagicBagley18 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:04 pm

Wes-J wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:
Wes-J wrote:

Actually I brought up 2 issues one in the immediate ; him being gassed by the end of this season. Like he was in the finals and how that pertains to our title chances this year with him and brown playing so much.

And 2 ; how him playing so much will affect his long term longevity for us in the future. Both issues in my initial reply to you. It was actually you who brought physical ramifications of heavy minutes. I was initially speaking from an energy/gas perspective

And I'm not necessarily saying you're wrong, we just don't really know on this issue.

I think he's fine as is. If he had some sort of injury history then I would pause. As for being gassed in the finals, it's the finals man. Everybody is gassed.

Gotcha. So he was gassed and the answer to that is more minutes.

Anyways we’ve covered enough of this. Let’s agree to disagree
Wes-J
Assistant Coach

Post#1170 » by Wes-J » Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:06 pm

MagicBagley18 wrote:
Wes-J wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:

I don't think it matters but clearly we're getting nowhere with this.
Tatumfor2
Starter
And1: 4,783

Post#1171 » by Tatumfor2 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:15 pm

The thread that refused to die.

Win it for Al!!! :pray:
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,469

Post#1172 » by Feed Your Head » Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:13 pm

Wes-J wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:
Wes-J wrote:

So for me, while I’d like his minutes down, it’s the stretches like recently that I’d really like to avoid, he’s at 43 mpg over his last 6. More than that, playing him 41 straight game minutes twice in a five game span is just ridiculous lol, especially in January.
Wes-J
Assistant Coach

Post#1173 » by Wes-J » Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:42 pm

The Comedian wrote:
Wes-J wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:

So for me, while I’d like his minutes down, it’s the stretches like recently that I’d really like to avoid, he’s at 43 mpg over his last 6. More than that, playing him 41 straight game minutes twice in a five game span is just ridiculous lol, especially in January.

So are you more concerned about potential injuries or him being "gassed" in the playoffs? I mean yeah, it doesn't hurt to get him some rest but that doesn't necessarily mean he'll avoid being gassed in the playoffs.

For me the playoffs is a whole different season where guys play more minutes and the intensity level is on a much greater scale, that's a logical reason for being gassed, if that's the case with a player. I don't believe there's a way to prove load management in the regular season helps the player to be more 'fresh' in the playoffs, especially if we're talking about a difference in a few minutes per game.

Some guys are just special in their conditioning. All the great ones were obviously. I'm not worried about young Tatum long term, and how Joe is managing him. I'm more worried about other Joe things lol.
MagicBagley18
RealGM

Post#1174 » by MagicBagley18 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:47 am

The Comedian wrote:
Wes-J wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:

You’d agree that he was gassed by the finals tho and that definitely contributed to the outcome in that series right ?
MagicBagley18
RealGM

Post#1175 » by MagicBagley18 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:55 am

Tatum’s last 6 games and minutes played ; 40, 48,38,40,43,47. There’s absolutely zero reason a guy should be playing entire 2nd half’s and that much over a 6th game stretch in mid January.
Wes-J
Assistant Coach

Post#1176 » by Wes-J » Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:05 am

Tatumfor2 wrote:The thread that refused to die.

My fault buddy. Don't want no trouble.

Return to Boston Celtics