ImageImageImage

What is Jayson Tatum's ceiling?

Moderators: bisme37, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10

zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 92,521

Re: What is Jayson Tatums ceiling? 

Post#121 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:31 pm

jmr07019 wrote:The way I see LeBron and Giannis are the only 2 guys in last 10-ish years who are in a class of their own. Elite offensively and defensively. Put them on your team and you are automatically a contender. KD was close but had more help than LeBron (1st Cleveland stint) and Giannis and didn't accomplish enough. Had to jump on a 70 win team who already had an MVP to get his title.

Curry revolutionized the game with his shooting. You could argue he's in the Giannis LeBron level. The best offensive player in the last 10 years but nowhere near as good as Giannis and LeBron defensively.

After that there's a ton of good players but no one else is tier 1. I don't see Tatum getting to that LeBron / Giannis level but tier 2 is in play. Playmaking is overstated when talking about ceilings. I'll take the stud defender who is a mediocre playmaker (Tatum) over the complete offensive player who sucks at defense (Harden). Having your best offensive player be an apathetic defender generally doesn't result in titles. Curry at least was passable on D.

I know Raptors are rolling (in the regular season) even after losing him, but I would easily put Kawhi Leonard in tier 1. Not as durable as Lebron and Giannis and not as great as a playmaker. But he can elevate his game to a whole other level when the stakes are at their highest.
Wes-J
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,769

Post#122 » by Wes-J » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:04 pm

Gomes3PC wrote:
Wes-J wrote:
Gomes3PC wrote:That's not what he said. He said Tatum today is better than Pierce at 21, and he's right.

Difference is, Pierce took like 2-3 more leaps after 21. Does Tatum have 2-3 more gears to step up into? We shall see. I tend to believe so, but not all guys just get better and better after 21 like Pierce did (see Tyreke Evans, OJ Mayo, etc. etc.).

Comparisons like that don't amount to a hill a of beans.

Player development is so much different now than it was 20 yrs ago plus.

Bottomline Tatum is on his way.

Comparisons like what? I'm not saying he's Tyreke Evans. CJ McCollum has been basically the same guy he was since he broke out in his third year. To be clear, I don't expect Tatum has plateaued, but let's not take it as a given he will keep improving every year. Last year alone should be proof positive of that.

I'm just saying you can't say player X at such and such age was better than player Y therefore will be the better player longterm. That's so overblown. Player development is different now, too many variables.

Tatum being better than Pierce at 21 is completely irrelevant. Same could be said for Siakam as we really don't know if peak Tatum will be the better one.

Just to clarify Gomes I know what you meant, I'm just saying in general.
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,469

Post#123 » by Feed Your Head » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:38 pm

Warning, this article may excite you too much.

Read on Twitter

Some would say Tatum needs an elite skill, well i think he may have found it. At his size too, this is pretty crazy.

But Tatum’s most significant stride comes in the form of his pull-up three, a skewering harpoon every elite scorer should be able to pull out of their bag whenever they want. Among all players who launch at least four pull-up threes per game, only Damian Lillard is more accurate than Tatum’s 39.2 percent this season. It’s a game-changing stresser that, by itself, raises Boston’s collective ceiling.

Among all players (54, to be exact) who finish at least five possessions every game as a pick-and-roll ball-handler, Tatum is the ninth-most efficient scorer and ranks in the 86th percentile overall. He glides downhill at his own pace, crouching down to put his defender in jail, waiting to punch through a crack. Tatum averages more points per possession in these spots than James Harden, LeBron James, Devin Booker, and Paul George. (Everyone above him is a true point guard, except Luka Doncic and DeMar DeRozan.)
24istheLAW
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,891

Post#124 » by 24istheLAW » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:44 pm

I think regardless of who is better than who, comparing stats across eras from 2020 to 2000 is a frivolous exercise. The game is so much more open offensively than it was then.

In his 2nd year (age 22) Pierce was scoring "only" 19.5 PPG - good for 22nd in the NBA. He was shooting at "only" a .486 eFG% clip, but that was above the league average of .478 (keep in mind league-average is skewed by big men so none of these volume scorers are going to look that great compared to the league average). Jayson is 19th in the league at 22.2 PPG. He has a .513 eFG% which is below the league average of .528.

Not to say JT isn't a stud. Age considered he does seem like he's ahead of Pierce. I just object to an apples-to-apples comparison of their stats when the league is so different.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,121

Post#125 » by Darth Celtic » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:01 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:When Pierce was 21 he was still at Kansas, so that's not a useful comparison.

the point you are making is correct, but you are incorrect. He was 20 at Kansas, drafted at 20, and turned 21 just before the start of his rookie year on Oct 13 1998 (born Oct 13, 1977).
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#126 » by cloverleaf » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:02 pm

24istheLAW wrote:I think regardless of who is better than who, comparing stats across eras from 2020 to 2000 is a frivolous exercise. The game is so much more open offensively than it was then.

In his 2nd year (age 22) Pierce was scoring "only" 19.5 PPG - good for 22nd in the NBA. He was shooting at "only" a .486 eFG% clip, but that was above the league average of .478 (keep in mind league-average is skewed by big men so none of these volume scorers are going to look that great compared to the league average). Jayson is 19th in the league at 22.2 PPG. He has a .513 eFG% which is below the league average of .528.

Not to say JT isn't a stud. Age considered he does seem like he's ahead of Pierce. I just object to an apples-to-apples comparison of their stats when the league is so different.

Yeah, the league is different and they are both very good players. But JT was more efficient relative to the league in his rookie year than PP was. Really depends on which stats you want to pick.
Tatumfor2
Starter
And1: 4,772

Post#127 » by Tatumfor2 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:47 pm

The Comedian wrote:Warning, this article may excite you too much.

Read on Twitter

Some would say Tatum needs an elite skill, well i think he may have found it. At his size too, this is pretty crazy.

But Tatum’s most significant stride comes in the form of his pull-up three, a skewering harpoon every elite scorer should be able to pull out of their bag whenever they want. Among all players who launch at least four pull-up threes per game, only Damian Lillard is more accurate than Tatum’s 39.2 percent this season. It’s a game-changing stresser that, by itself, raises Boston’s collective ceiling.

Among all players (54, to be exact) who finish at least five possessions every game as a pick-and-roll ball-handler, Tatum is the ninth-most efficient scorer and ranks in the 86th percentile overall. He glides downhill at his own pace, crouching down to put his defender in jail, waiting to punch through a crack. Tatum averages more points per possession in these spots than James Harden, LeBron James, Devin Booker, and Paul George. (Everyone above him is a true point guard, except Luka Doncic and DeMar DeRozan.)

Clean up! Aisle 0...
Win it for Al!!! :pray:
jmr07019
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#128 » by jmr07019 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:52 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:
jmr07019 wrote:The way I see LeBron and Giannis are the only 2 guys in last 10-ish years who are in a class of their own. Elite offensively and defensively. Put them on your team and you are automatically a contender. KD was close but had more help than LeBron (1st Cleveland stint) and Giannis and didn't accomplish enough. Had to jump on a 70 win team who already had an MVP to get his title.

Curry revolutionized the game with his shooting. You could argue he's in the Giannis LeBron level. The best offensive player in the last 10 years but nowhere near as good as Giannis and LeBron defensively.

After that there's a ton of good players but no one else is tier 1. I don't see Tatum getting to that LeBron / Giannis level but tier 2 is in play. Playmaking is overstated when talking about ceilings. I'll take the stud defender who is a mediocre playmaker (Tatum) over the complete offensive player who sucks at defense (Harden). Having your best offensive player be an apathetic defender generally doesn't result in titles. Curry at least was passable on D.

I know Raptors are rolling (in the regular season) even after losing him, but I would easily put Kawhi Leonard in tier 1. Not as durable as Lebron and Giannis and not as great as a playmaker. But he can elevate his game to a whole other level when the stakes are at their highest.

Fair
Show Love Spread Love
itrsteve
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,478

Post#129 » by itrsteve » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:20 am

I’m sticking by my original prediction in a July 2018 thread

itrsteve wrote:Kobe. Bump this thread in 10 years.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1723991&hilit=Kobe&start=60#p67359644
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,469

Post#130 » by Feed Your Head » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:29 am

itrsteve wrote:I’m sticking by my original prediction in a July 2018 thread

itrsteve wrote:Kobe. Bump this thread in 10 years.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1723991&hilit=Kobe&start=60#p67359644

My post from that thread is fun, I've had some lofty expectations for awhile lol. Was on that ECF run high.

The Comedian wrote:A secret government science experiment that made a hybrid of Pierce, Paul George, Joe Johnson, Brandon Roy, Durant, and Dirk.
K For Three
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 32,569

Post#131 » by K For Three » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:47 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:

For the postseason I would easily take Kawhi as the #1 most feared player and not even think twice about it.
The_Ghost_of_JB
RealGM
And1: 17,777

Post#132 » by The_Ghost_of_JB » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:07 am

From what I've seen it's definitely Rudy Gay.
*Insert witty signature here.*
Jaqua92
RealGM
And1: 7,652

Post#133 » by Jaqua92 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:04 am

Gomes3PC wrote:
Jaqua92 wrote:
sam_I_am wrote:
The comparison to Pierce I would make is this: Tatum is already a lot better than Pierce was at age 21. Nobody loved Pierce as a player early in his career more than me, so I don’t say this lightly. I think of peak Paul Pierce as his floor and he has already nearly reached that stage.
Tatum isn't even close to peak Pierce.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

That's not what he said. He said Tatum today is better than Pierce at 21, and he's right.

Difference is, Pierce took like 2-3 more leaps after 21. Does Tatum have 2-3 more gears to step up into? We shall see. I tend to believe so, but not all guys just get better and better after 21 like Pierce did (see Tyreke Evans, OJ Mayo, etc. etc.).
"I think of peak Paul Pierce as his floor and he is already nearly there"

exculpatory
RealGM
And1: 11,080

Post#134 » by exculpatory » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:37 pm

Green89 wrote:If JT wants to stay in the MVP top 10 list, he has to have a GAME here. Two in a row like the Rockets game and he'll be off the list for good.

With regard to those who want to name him the next King of Mother **** England, JT is clearly ascending in an awesome way to a very special Paul Pierce-like & PG13-like place, but before we give him the **** throne, I for one need to see “CONSISTENTLY brings it to the max” in big time games vs the best ballers & teams in the NBA!
SamIam 2010: Truth's ability to play so incredibly efficiently is so UNDERAPPRECIATED. Bballcool 2012: Amazing how great Pierce has been for so long. Continues to defy age! KG 2013: P is original Celtic. Wherever he goes, we go. This is The Truth's house.
denmuscles
Pro Prospect
And1: 620

Post#135 » by denmuscles » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:32 pm

I like Tatum but I think we all are overrating him a little bit. Sure he is having a solid season so far, putting great numbers etc but to call him PG or PP is premature and early. PP was a special player, one of the most clutch players in NBA history. Great finisher. Durable. Tatum needs to show a lot more in order to be in the same conversation as Paul Pierce. Tatum, Doncic, Trae and rest of these top ballers is will not impress me until they take over the playoffs, make some clutch crazy shots for a few playoffs before we label them Top 5 top 10 players.

If Tatum continues this play and is consistent and has a monster playoffs then we can put him in the convo of top 10-15 player.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 54,704

Post#136 » by Parliament10 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:49 pm

Jaqua92 wrote:
Gomes3PC wrote:
Jaqua92 wrote:Tatum isn't even close to peak Pierce.

That's not what he said. He said Tatum today is better than Pierce at 21, and he's right.

I see Tatum as definitely nearing Paul Pierce level.
If he keeps progressing, then yeah, he'll end up better than Pierce.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
exculpatory
RealGM
And1: 11,080

Post#137 » by exculpatory » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:13 am

Parliament10 wrote:
Jaqua92 wrote:
Gomes3PC wrote:That's not what he said. He said Tatum today is better than Pierce at 21, and he's right.

I see Tatum as definitely nearing Paul Pierce level.
If he keeps progressing, then yeah, he'll end up better than Pierce.

He is progressing rapidly but but but but ..as Denmuscles just eloquently posted above (edited by yours truly)..

“Sure he is having a solid season so far, putting up great numbers etc, but to call him PG or PP is EXTREMELY premature and early.
PP was a VERY VERY special player, one of the most clutch players in NBA history.
Great finisher.
Durable.
Tatum needs to show a HELLUVA lot more in order to be in the same **** conversation as Paul **** Pierce.
Tatum will have to CONSISTENTLY & RELIABLY take over in MULTIPLE playoffs & make MANY MEGA clutch shots (AND ASSISTS) during MULTIPLE playoff games before I/we label him a Top 5-10 player.”

And I think & hope that he will, & will root hard for it!
SamIam 2010: Truth's ability to play so incredibly efficiently is so UNDERAPPRECIATED. Bballcool 2012: Amazing how great Pierce has been for so long. Continues to defy age! KG 2013: P is original Celtic. Wherever he goes, we go. This is The Truth's house.
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#138 » by Gomes3PC » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:53 am

People saying he will be better than PP realize that means people expect him to be a slam dunk HOFer, right?
Wes-J
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,769

Post#139 » by Wes-J » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:37 am

Language like "better than Pierce" makes me wonder if some of you had pubes during those glory years.
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#140 » by MagicBagley18 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:51 am

The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:From what I've seen it's definitely Rudy Gay.

Then he’s shattered the ceiling then bc Rudy gay never made an all star game in his career let alone by 21

Return to Boston Celtics