ImageImageImage

Game Thread: Heat @ Celtics – POSTPONED

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Froob, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts

Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

Re: Game Thread: Heat @ Celtics – 7:00PM, Sun. 01-10-21 

Post#121 » by Ernest » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:21 pm

RondoToKG wrote:
Ernest wrote:
bisme37 wrote:
Seems like a lot of people are just mad Brad has a different personality than they do. Why is he making this face instead of that face?? Why is he not screaming about this thing I'm screaming about from my couch??

Aside from that the main complaint I see is, Why is this guy I don't like in the game instead of the guy I do like?? Which, the answer is almost always because of who we have available to play that night and match-ups and the fact that your favorite player can't play the entire game without resting now and then.

We are without our allstar point guard and have the 3rd best record in the league. Coming off yet another ECF appearance. Not really a logical time to fire the coach imho.

Couldn't agree more. I'd add to it that some people just want to be mad at someone. The team is doing well, and even when we lose there isn't a real clear player to blame. But they're still on Covid lockdown and pissed off. (when you look at the current political mess that might add to people's anger-both sides) So someone needs to be blamed. Fire Ainge! Fire Brad! Fire Scal lol! Is Lucky still around? I bet he's next. This forum is eating a big bowl of Covid coo-coo puffs.

Not at all. I've watched Brad for years and he may have lots of experience and understand the game well. But in between the lines, I don't feel like he is that great of a coach. I don't write down each and everything he does that makes me shake my head butoff the top of it I can think of a few things... his rotations make no **** sense. He waits too long to call timeouts in critical situations. He lets players have too much freedom like Marcus Smart and IMO that leads to losses when he thinks Smart should be taking the last shot like **** Kobe Bryant. He just isn't that great of a coach IMO. After Smart lost us a few games he would NEVER be taking the last shot again. And if he did, he'd be getting the **** off my team real quick.

I guess different people just see it different. His rotations make perfect sense to me. As for timeouts, after watching enough games I can call them before the team does and am right just about every time. That was true with Doc and Brad so it makes me think most coaches call time outs at about the same spots. As for last shots, that a hard things to know. A play gets drawn up and there are options. I really doubt he has Smart as a a first option to take the shot. Sometimes things don't work out and your 3rd option ends up taking the shot. Were you watching the games when Pitino was here?
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 32,081

Post#122 » by Homerclease » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:40 pm

Ill News wrote:
Homerclease wrote:
sam_I_am wrote:
Who isn’t? Belechek? Brad is always trying to be the best he can be but nobody is perfect. At least he isn’t complacent.

I think he’s been poor this year to be frank. First year I’ve thought it

And yet we're 7-3. You might say some of our wins are flukes, but our team is also short-handed from both a health and talent perspective.

Brad always likes to experiment early in the season, and with a ridiculously short training camp he's been trotting out more weird lineups out there (the two-big lineup being the most glaring one) to see what would work. It's a tough balancing act with all the experimentation and trying to get wins, and yet he's always managed to steer us into a winning record from the get-go (except for his first year, obviously).

He's still a great coach this year. I get all the complaints about him, but all of it really just comes down to being prisoners of the moment. He often makes great adjustments out there and puts our stars in great positions to succeed. At the end of the day, we really don't know any better than him when it comes to coaching, so all this shouting from our couches about rotations, lineups, timeout management, etc. is simply ridiculous lol. I mean, his coaching record in both the regular season and playoffs already speaks for itself. What more could you want?

Really they could be 9-1 with a better performance by Brad. I think we are 7-3 largely because Tatum and Brown have been playing out of their skulls to start the year. Brown was over 80% on two point jumpers until recently. The record is nice, but doesn’t tell the whole story here IMO
Tai
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,242

Post#123 » by Tai » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:47 pm

RondoToKG wrote:
Ernest wrote:
bisme37 wrote:
Seems like a lot of people are just mad Brad has a different personality than they do. Why is he making this face instead of that face?? Why is he not screaming about this thing I'm screaming about from my couch??

Aside from that the main complaint I see is, Why is this guy I don't like in the game instead of the guy I do like?? Which, the answer is almost always because of who we have available to play that night and match-ups and the fact that your favorite player can't play the entire game without resting now and then.

We are without our allstar point guard and have the 3rd best record in the league. Coming off yet another ECF appearance. Not really a logical time to fire the coach imho.

Couldn't agree more. I'd add to it that some people just want to be mad at someone. The team is doing well, and even when we lose there isn't a real clear player to blame. But they're still on Covid lockdown and pissed off. (when you look at the current political mess that might add to people's anger-both sides) So someone needs to be blamed. Fire Ainge! Fire Brad! Fire Scal lol! Is Lucky still around? I bet he's next. This forum is eating a big bowl of Covid coo-coo puffs.

Not at all. I've watched Brad for years and he may have lots of experience and understand the game well. But in between the lines, I don't feel like he is that great of a coach. I don't write down each and everything he does that makes me shake my head butoff the top of it I can think of a few things... his rotations make no **** sense. He waits too long to call timeouts in critical situations. He lets players have too much freedom like Marcus Smart and IMO that leads to losses when he thinks Smart should be taking the last shot like **** Kobe Bryant. Simple stuff he should be able to read in between the lines. After Smart lost us a few games thinking he was MJ he would NEVER be taking the last shot again unless he had to. And if he did, he'd be getting the **** off my team real quick.

On the bolded part, if you mean just jacking up 3's like we've seen Smart do in the past, then I'm with you. If you mean driving to the hoop, generally I'm ok with that from Smart; notice that the NBA admitted in the game against the Heat for example that Smart was indeed fouled, and him driving collapsed the defense enough for Pritchard to get the put back and be declared the hero.

Obviously Smart should still be looking to pass to an open Tatum or Brown when driving to the hoop (as well as finishing better around the rim in general), but I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt that a play like Miami isn't what you're referring to when you claim Smart would be off your team quick.
smartyz456 wrote:oh i am a laker fan for life

i'm just gonna be a warrior fan until lebron leaves the lakers

true laker fans don't root for lebron

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1728641
GWVan
Analyst
And1: 2,549

Post#124 » by GWVan » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:52 pm

Game threads are tough enough to get thru for me. Do we have to argue the merits of the coach here before the game? I came here to see what everyone thought about who plays today, not yet another rehash of how horrible Danny and or Brad are. I am not the biggest contributer to this board but i have been here reading, a lot, for along time. Finding myself staying away for longer and longer each time
Full of sound and fury; signifying nothing
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 90,783

Post#125 » by ConstableGeneva » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:59 pm

When we win, good job players. When we lose, you suck Brad.

All there is to it.
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 32,081

Post#126 » by Homerclease » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:02 pm

ConstableGeneva wrote:When we win, good job players. When we lose, you suck Brad.

All there is to it.

It’s a little more nuanced than that but there is some truth to it. It’s the coaches job to put his players in the best position to win. Sticking with lineups that clearly don’t work and trying to force a square peg in a round hole doesn’t do a service to anyone. Nevermind the fact that they continue to blow big leads on a nightly basis while the coach stands there and watches it happen. His lack of feel for momentum of the game is staggering. And it’s been a problem for years now.
RondoToKG
Head Coach
And1: 1,531

Post#127 » by RondoToKG » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:05 pm

Tai wrote:
RondoToKG wrote:
Ernest wrote:

Not at all. I've watched Brad for years and he may have lots of experience and understand the game well. But in between the lines, I don't feel like he is that great of a coach. I don't write down each and everything he does that makes me shake my head butoff the top of it I can think of a few things... his rotations make no **** sense. He waits too long to call timeouts in critical situations. He lets players have too much freedom like Marcus Smart and IMO that leads to losses when he thinks Smart should be taking the last shot like **** Kobe Bryant. Simple stuff he should be able to read in between the lines. After Smart lost us a few games thinking he was MJ he would NEVER be taking the last shot again unless he had to. And if he did, he'd be getting the **** off my team real quick.

On the bolded part, if you mean just jacking up 3's like we've seen Smart do in the past, then I'm with you. If you mean driving to the hoop, generally I'm ok with that from Smart; notice that the NBA admitted in the game against the Heat for example that Smart was indeed fouled, and him driving collapsed the defense enough for Pritchard to get the put back and be declared the hero.

Obviously Smart should still be looking to pass to an open Tatum or Brown when driving to the hoop (as well as finishing better around the rim in general), but I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt that a play like Miami isn't what you're referring to when you claim Smart would be off your team quick.

I mean the jacking of 3's with 11 seconds left on the clock and we could only get the ball inbounds to him... he is right next to Tatum and Tatum puts his hands up and Smart just decides to hold onto the ball and take the last shot that would either win or lose us the game.. happens way too **** much and I blame the coaching staff. Brown and Tatum are good dudes and they don't seem to get too upset about things.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 26,991

Post#128 » by Fencer reregistered » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:16 pm

itrsteve wrote:Don’t get me wrong, I’m bummed to pencil in the L hours in advance, but this is going to be an interesting game in what is undoubtedly a throwaway season. I want Nesmith to see his shot go in, tons of them.

Hey, isn’t there some rule that you can’t foul out a player when the roster is limited? I remember something like that with a Lakers game a few years back. Maybe I’m high, but this could likely work in DT’s favor.

I'm pretty sure there's such a rule. I forget whether extra fouls by a fouled-out player carry an extra penalty of some kind.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Ernest
Sixth Man

Post#129 » by Ernest » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:11 pm

Homerclease wrote:
ConstableGeneva wrote:When we win, good job players. When we lose, you suck Brad.

All there is to it.

It’s a little more nuanced than that but there is some truth to it. It’s the coaches job to put his players in the best position to win. Sticking with lineups that clearly don’t work and trying to force a square peg in a round hole doesn’t do a service to anyone. Nevermind the fact that they continue to blow big leads on a nightly basis while the coach stands there and watches it happen. His lack of feel for momentum of the game is staggering. And it’s been a problem for years now.

We are 7-3 and have won 4 in a row! What are you talking about? You guys made the argument that Brad's rotations sucked when we lost a few games to start the season. Brad changed nothing and we started winning. But you guys stick to the same talking points. We have the longest winning streak of anyone right now. Pitino was right!
Ernest
Sixth Man

Post#130 » by Ernest » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:14 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:
itrsteve wrote:Don’t get me wrong, I’m bummed to pencil in the L hours in advance, but this is going to be an interesting game in what is undoubtedly a throwaway season. I want Nesmith to see his shot go in, tons of them.

Hey, isn’t there some rule that you can’t foul out a player when the roster is limited? I remember something like that with a Lakers game a few years back. Maybe I’m high, but this could likely work in DT’s favor.

I'm pretty sure there's such a rule. I forget whether extra fouls by a fouled-out player carry an extra penalty of some kind.

You can't foul out if the team doesn't have enough to put 5 guys on the floor. ie it will never be a hockey power play. I think you just keep the last guy out there and its A T for every foul after that. Been watching forever and I've never seen it happen though. Having 6 vs 5 on the court is more likely in my experience.
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,333

Post#131 » by MagicBagley18 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:28 pm

GWVan wrote:Game threads are tough enough to get thru for me. Do we have to argue the merits of the coach here before the game? I came here to see what everyone thought about who plays today, not yet another rehash of how horrible Danny and or Brad are. I am not the biggest contributer to this board but i have been here reading, a lot, for along time. Finding myself staying away for longer and longer each time

The worlds most famous beach as in Daytona?
CeltsFlow
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,716

Post#132 » by CeltsFlow » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:38 pm

Gameday.

Froob wrote:SVG is like JVG from an alternate reality where JVG is interested in talking about the game

Kabookalu wrote:[Dillon] Brooks has a mediocre driving game, but insists that he's prime Manu Ginobili.

It's time to win basketball games
Ernest
Sixth Man

Post#133 » by Ernest » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:48 pm

Brown is gonna go nuts. He's going to have to look to score on just about every touch. I don't think he's ever had that mindset in the NBA before. Sure for stretches when he's hot. But now for a whole game. No one is expecting the win and there is no one else to carry the scoring load really. This could be a really fun game.
Bohemian
Analyst
And1: 3,363

Post#134 » by Bohemian » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:54 pm

Ernest wrote:Brown is gonna go nuts. He's going to have to look to score on just about every touch. I don't think he's ever had that mindset in the NBA before. Sure for stretches when he's hot. But now for a whole game. No one is expecting the win and there is no one else to carry the scoring load really. This could be a really fun game.

He may not play. He is listed as doubtful
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 90,783

Post#135 » by ConstableGeneva » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:03 pm

It's Tremont's birthday. He's gonna score his jersey number. AKA his height in inches.
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 9,103

Post#136 » by Triple7 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:09 pm

Tremont and Smart about to carry the offense lol!
fallguy
Head Coach
And1: 11,396

Post#137 » by fallguy » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:13 pm

I think we can keep it within 25.
Triple7
RealGM

Post#138 » by Triple7 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:28 pm

Ernest wrote:
Homerclease wrote:

All there is to it.

We are 7-3 and have won 4 in a row! What are you talking about? You guys made the argument that Brad's rotations sucked when we lost a few games to start the season. Brad changed nothing and we started winning. But you guys stick to the same talking points. We have the longest winning streak of anyone right now. Pitino was right!

Lol! The point is, we always have meltdowns and have been on a lot of scoring draughts with Stevens. Don’t forget that loss against detroit, where we have a lead 93-88 with over 4mins remaining, and ended up losing 96-93. The constant chucking of 3’s, lazy and hero ball offense are the reasons we lost, and also losing big leads. That’s on Brad. He should instill discipline and hold players accountable. He should at least do something. Call a **** timeout, calm your players down, get to their faces if you have to. Instead of doing nothing, and calling timeouts way too late. The point is, we should have won that game in detroit. That team is awful. Then the next game against them, we barely won because of the late heroics of Tatum. We would have been the laughing stock of the nba, had it not been for the heroics of Pritchard. Imagine losing a 10pt lead with a minute remaining jeez! Almost blowing a 28pt lead against the lowly wizards. Bottomline is we were just lucky that the J’s have been pretty good at closing out close games, else we would have had a losing record by now.
Triple7
RealGM

Post#139 » by Triple7 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:31 pm

Stevens is good when coaching underdogs, so we probably play good and overachieve on this one.
BlueSan
Sixth Man
And1: 828

Post#140 » by BlueSan » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:45 pm

Still no information about Brown playing?

What is taking so long to let them/us know who can play and who cannot?

Return to Boston Celtics