ImageImageImage

Welcome Derrick White – (Agreed on $125.9M Extension)

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Froob, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts

jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 14,412

Re: Welcome Derrick White 

Post#121 » by jfs1000d » Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:53 pm

Can Ime put this together, but brad is no joke.

Team is 31-25 and only played an 8-man rotation.

White and PP replace Schroder and Richardson.

Theis Replaces Enes, Bruno.

Getting Theis is key. They needed a big in case Rob and/or Horford go down. Grant was the third big. That's not gonna fly.
watsonthedragon
Sixth Man
And1: 2,298

Post#122 » by watsonthedragon » Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:54 pm

Man I'll be pumped if we get to watch him play tonight
jirrit
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,650

Post#123 » by jirrit » Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:12 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:He’s so good the Spurs drafted guys to make him expendable in back to back drafts!! Some people will defend everything this organization does. The Spurs must have been shocked when we added the first round pick and future swap. Holy smokes is this one of the worst trades we’ve ever done.

This proves to me we had a good deadline.
Larry_Russell
General Manager
And1: 5,338

Post#124 » by Larry_Russell » Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:01 pm

jirrit wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:He’s so good the Spurs drafted guys to make him expendable in back to back drafts!! Some people will defend everything this organization does. The Spurs must have been shocked when we added the first round pick and future swap. Holy smokes is this one of the worst trades we’ve ever done.

Great takes from that guy.

I am sure the spurs specifically drafted to replace White, not draft BPA, but only picked players to replace white.
jirrit
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,650

Post#125 » by jirrit » Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:25 pm

Larry_Russell wrote:
jirrit wrote:

I am sure the spurs specifically drafted to replace White, not draft BPA, but only picked players to replace white.

Thats why we took Nesmith & Langford in the first place. Gotta have a replacement tactic first before everything else.
Triple M
General Manager
And1: 3,114

Post#126 » by Triple M » Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:28 pm

How does Whites playmaking compare to Hayward?

seems like we built a team that is pretty similar to the pre bubble team
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,469

Post#127 » by Feed Your Head » Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:39 pm

Triple M wrote:How does Whites playmaking compare to Hayward?

Very similar in that they aren’t great lead playmakers, but both elite secondary ones/ball movers.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,548

Post#128 » by Andrew McCeltic » Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:40 pm

The Comedian wrote:
Triple M wrote:How does Whites playmaking compare to Hayward?

Very similar in that they aren’t great lead playmakers, but both elite secondary ones/ball movers.

White makes less money, doesn't need the ball as much to maximize his value, and won't be unhappy playing off/behind Tatum and Brown.
keevsnick1
Veteran
And1: 4,496

Post#129 » by keevsnick1 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:47 pm

Larry_Russell wrote:I soo want to see a
Smart
White
Brown
Tatum
Timelord

run, and see them get extended minutes. I think that is one of the most lethal offensive units in the league as the surrounding player compliment the jays well, and the defense is tops in the league, hands down.

Timelord is really going to benefit from playing with these 4 guys too. His lobs/layups per game is going to go up.

White is excellent at getting downhill and normally is a Great midrange shooter and an at least average 3pt shooter
Jays are offensive monsters.

Smart can post up, make an open catch and shoot etc like he has been. Just dont force it and instead push the ball.

I am getting more an more excited about Smart ALWAYS having someone running out HARD with him on turnovers and defensive stops.

Opposing teams are going to HATE going up against us with those 2 up top.

Teams like Philly
Embiid will have Timelord, Horford, Theis, Tatum to deal with and Harden has to contend with Smart, White, Brown, Tatum

lol.

Thats insane

The defense is going to exhaust teams and make our offense EASIER

Embiid will eat alive Tatum/Theis and probably Timelord as well. Same with Giannis I fear, but nobody really guards those guys well, even Horford who used to be the bets at it i'm not sure still can. But we certainly do have a lot of guys to guard Harden/Irving/Lavine/Demar/Butler/Hero/Lowry/Middleton/Holiday/Garland/FVV/Maxey ect
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,469

Post#130 » by Feed Your Head » Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:11 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20&t=7J9tcwDAXcV1FbZTxWXHgA
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,859

Post#131 » by BostonCouchGM » Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:16 pm

Larry_Russell wrote:
jirrit wrote:

derp. Really think about what you're saying. They thought so much about White, entering his prime, and his ability to lead them into the future, that they drafted guys who play his position in back to back drafts? When they have nothing special at the 4 and 5 with Sengun, Johnson and Kai Jones still on the board? That makes sense to you? Too funny

This is like when POR, with holes at the 3 and 4, and having just signed Lillard and McCollum to massive contract extensions, took a PG and SG (Simons and Trent Jr.) I'm sure homers on their board were laughably claiming "bEcAuSe BpA". And how did that work out? You have to think about roster construction. And if you have someone who is supposedly great, like you think White is, you don't draft a guy who plays the same position let alone two guys.
Larry_Russell
General Manager
And1: 5,338

Post#132 » by Larry_Russell » Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:27 pm

keevsnick1 wrote:
Smart
White
Brown
Tatum
Timelord

run, and see them get extended minutes. I think that is one of the most lethal offensive units in the league as the surrounding player compliment the jays well, and the defense is tops in the league, hands down.

Timelord is really going to benefit from playing with these 4 guys too. His lobs/layups per game is going to go up.

White is excellent at getting downhill and normally is a Great midrange shooter and an at least average 3pt shooter

Smart can post up, make an open catch and shoot etc like he has been. Just dont force it and instead push the ball.

I am getting more an more excited about Smart ALWAYS having someone running out HARD with him on turnovers and defensive stops.

Teams like Philly
Embiid will have Timelord, Horford, Theis, Tatum to deal with and Harden has to contend with Smart, White, Brown, Tatum

lol.

Thats insane

Embiid will eat alive Tatum/Theis and probably Timelord as well. Same with Giannis I fear, but nobody really guards those guys well, even Horford who used to be the bets at it i'm not sure still can. But we certainly do have a lot of guys to guard Harden/Irving/Lavine/Demar/Butler/Hero/Lowry/Middleton/Holiday/Garland/FVV/Maxey ect

Well, exactly, honestly.

You have to tire those guys and get them out of their comfort zones.

I like the aibility to switch out the defense

Rob will contest everything with speed and agility
Tatum same
Horford strength and intelligence
Theis a little bit of both and 5 fouls

With Giannis you can toss
Smart: small, pesky, strong as hell
White, great positional defender
Tatum, great matchup defensively
brown, gives him some trouble
horford, same as above
rob, same as above.

Our defense will test these guys, but no one "stops" them anyways, like you say.

But if we **** down harden, Philly will be HURTING. And Harden is going to have Smart/White and Brown hounding him ALL game
Jaqua92
RealGM
And1: 7,783

Post#133 » by Jaqua92 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:30 pm

Larry_Russell wrote:
keevsnick1 wrote:
Smart
White
Brown
Tatum
Timelord

Teams like Philly

lol.

Thats insane

Well, exactly, honestly.

You have to tire those guys and get them out of their comfort zones.

I like the aibility to switch out the defense

Rob will contest everything with speed and agility
Tatum same
Horford strength and intelligence
Theis a little bit of both and 5 fouls

With Giannis you can toss
Smart: small, pesky, strong as hell
White, great positional defender
Tatum, great matchup defensively
brown, gives him some trouble
horford, same as above
rob, same as above.

Our defense will test these guys, but no one "stops" them anyways, like you say.

But if we **** down harden, Philly will be HURTING. And Harden is going to have Smart/White and Brown hounding him ALL game
You worry about everyone else and let Giannis get his. He's an all time post dominant force. Timelord, or Smart are not going to prevent him from getting his.

Smart may be strong as hell, but he's a child in comparison. Westbrook and Giannis bodied up after a hard foul, Westbrook tried to body up Giannis, grab a ball, and break up their contact. Giannis didn't even physically respond to Westbrook exerting himself.

No one on our team can slow down Giannis, or is strong enough to do so.

As for Harden, the hilarious thing is that he's strong enough to plow right through Smart, Brown and White.

He may be the strongest guard in the league. But the minute you start to frustrate him, he's gonna collapse. I'm not worried about Harden

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Justin33
Sixth Man
And1: 1,067

Post#134 » by Justin33 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:14 pm

I know this isn't perfect but a "Smart" with good shot selection a good description of White?
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 26,991

Post#135 » by Fencer reregistered » Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:31 pm

I'm guessing our guys came back from the 2019 Team USA with strong opinions as to who they did or didn't want to play with. (In particular, that's long been my theory to explain Danny's remarkable lack of desire to acquire Myles Turner.)
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 12,060

Post#136 » by FlatearthZorro » Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:51 am

Well if they can't score, they can't win. So, we got this going for us by adding White and Theis. Both kinda elite on defense.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
Jaqua92
RealGM
And1: 7,783

Post#137 » by Jaqua92 » Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:57 am

15/6/2 on 50%, and 42% from 3

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Castle Black
Lead Assistant
And1: 13,829

Post#138 » by Castle Black » Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:07 am

My favorite Spur outside of Dejounte. This makes me sad. But I’m happy for him at the same time. Cherish him, Celtics fans.. :cry:

Read on Twitter
TheMartian
General Manager
And1: 6,627

Post#139 » by TheMartian » Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:19 am

Great debut despite not having any practice with the team yet. Loving this pickup.
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,859

Post#140 » by BostonCouchGM » Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:31 am

very good debut albeit against a team decimated by injuries. He's exactly as advertised. Still not worth the price it cost. So please spare me the "hater" talk. I like him. I loathe the cost. There's a massive distinction.

Return to Boston Celtics