ImageImageImage

What's plan B, C, D now?

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

CeltsfaninDC
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,335

Re: What's plan B, C, D now? 

Post#141 » by CeltsfaninDC » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:54 pm

crashfromboston wrote:What about bringing butler in to run the point, Cant be worse than kyrie

Horrible idea. Why would they even consider having Kyrie 2.0 (from an attitude perspective)? Even if you could sign him without having to give up a bunch of assets (which we can’t) I don’t think he moves the needle much. Did he do anything for the Sixers? Their fans don’t even want him back
itrsteve
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,592

Post#142 » by itrsteve » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:05 pm

flintsky21 wrote:Trade for Capela. Sign Rubio. Be the East version of the Utah Jazz.

I back this. I'd love to have Rubio or Rondo, great vision and pass-first. I'd actually be pretty elated for either. The scoring triple threat from the wings is so significant that we need to ensure that is capitalized on. Irving walking the ball up, taking 87 dribbles then bricking an iso play really wasn't playing to our strengths.

Hayward WILL be better - It's all upside from here. I'm excited to see what he accomplishes this year.

Williams needs minutes, would also be great to see paired to Rondo or Rubio.

The future is bright, we don't need to be courting these divas that refuse to live up to their contractual obligations. Sorry.
timpiker
Senior
And1: 428

Post#143 » by timpiker » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:11 pm

itrsteve wrote:
flintsky21 wrote:Trade for Capela. Sign Rubio. Be the East version of the Utah Jazz.

I back this. I'd love to have Rubio or Rondo, great vision and pass-first. I'd actually be pretty elated for either. The scoring triple threat from the wings is so significant that we need to ensure that is capitalized on. Irving walking the ball up, taking 87 dribbles then bricking an iso play really wasn't playing to our strengths.

Hayward WILL be better - It's all upside from here. I'm excited to see what he accomplishes this year.

The future is bright, we don't need to be courting these divas that refuse to live up to their contractual obligations. Sorry.

I agree - Capela to complement Al, not replace. Rondo or Rubio to help Terry would be fine with me. People forget Hayward's a pretty good PG, too. It'll be refreshing to see some C-basketball where's there's lots of passing and running. I know we need a crunch time scorer but I got sick of the pound-the-damn-ball-for-20-seconds schtick.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,193

Post#144 » by Darth Celtic » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:22 pm

Pretty sure the plan is keep Horford (why I don't know, sure we win more but... so?) morris and Rozier and just see what happens. That's pretty much our only play here.

What we have been doing. Waiting for our players to have max value and then see what trades we can make.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
Half-Full
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,127

Post#145 » by Half-Full » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:43 pm

timpiker wrote:
itrsteve wrote:

I agree - Capela to complement Al, not replace. Rondo or Rubio to help Terry would be fine with me. People forget Hayward's a pretty good PG, too. It'll be refreshing to see some C-basketball where's there's lots of passing and running. I know we need a crunch time scorer but I got sick of the pound-the-damn-ball-for-20-seconds schtick.

Capela with Horford would be nice, but how is that going to happen? What would we have to give up to get Capela?
Half-Full
Bench Warmer

Post#146 » by Half-Full » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:59 pm

Darth Celtic wrote:Pretty sure the plan is keep Horford (why I don't know, sure we win more but... so?) morris and Rozier and just see what happens. That's pretty much our only play here.

What we have been doing. Waiting for our players to have max value and then see what trades we can make.

The Celtics without Kyrie, and with Horford, Morris, and Rozier, played pretty well. Going forward, Hayward will be fully recovered from his injury, and hopefully we will see improvement in his play. If one of our draft picks proves to be a winner, someone that can earn playing time immediately, that would be huge (and we can still look forward to the '20 Memphis pick). Using the MLE to add another piece could also be a plus. Of course, with Kyrie gone, team chemistry dramatically improves, on and off the court. Waiting to see what happens is probably the best option at this point.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#147 » by Darth Celtic » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:34 pm

Half-Full wrote:
Darth Celtic wrote:Pretty sure the plan is keep Horford (why I don't know, sure we win more but... so?) morris and Rozier and just see what happens. That's pretty much our only play here.

The Celtics without Kyrie, and with Horford, Morris, and Rozier, played pretty well. Going forward, Hayward will be fully recovered from his injury, and hopefully we will see improvement in his play. If one of our draft picks proves to be a winner, someone that can earn playing time immediately, that would be huge (and we can still look forward to the '20 Memphis pick). Using the MLE to add another piece could also be a plus. Of course, with Kyrie gone, team chemistry dramatically improves, on and off the court. Waiting to see what happens is probably the best option at this point.

Sure, all of that can happen. Also, Kawhi and Gasol could both leave the Raptors, Middleton could leave the Bucks with Brogdon, Sixers could lose Harris and Butler. Nets could lose Dlo and only get KD (who won't play) and Kyrie in return and actually win less games. More likely they all don't fall and more likely we fall back. How far? Who knows. I've been saying 6-10 seed for a bit now. Sure it could be 5 seed but highly unlikely. It could be 9 seed, but probably unlikely. It's been a while since our team outlook has been so far apart.
Half-Full
Bench Warmer

Post#148 » by Half-Full » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:25 pm

Darth Celtic wrote:
Half-Full wrote:

Sure, all of that can happen. Also, Kawhi and Gasol could both leave the Raptors, Middleton could leave the Bucks with Brogdon, Sixers could lose Harris and Butler. Nets could lose Dlo and only get KD (who won't play) and Kyrie in return and actually win less games. More likely they all don't fall and more likely we fall back. How far? Who knows. I've been saying 6-10 seed for a bit now. Sure it could be 5 seed but highly unlikely. It could be 9 seed, but probably unlikely. It's been a while since our team outlook has been so far apart.

Why is that we fall back? Because we lose Kyrie? The argument can be made (indeed, has been made) that the Celtics played better when Kyrie did not play, and our W-L record with Kyrie out of the lineup backs that up. Maybe we really are a better team without Kyrie, one more reason that he best option is to wait and see what happens.
CelticFaninLBC
General Manager
And1: 3,068

Post#149 » by CelticFaninLBC » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:25 pm

Part of Plan B should be not making 3 1st round draft picks on Thursday. Move Yabs & #22 to Houston for a future protected pick and their TPE's.

Resign Horford to a 3-4 year deal, and have about $13-15 million of cap space to use on Rubio. I'm not sure if they can still use the MLE, but they'd have a very solid team.

Horford, Hayward, Tatum, Brown, Rubio, with Baynes, Williams, Ojeleye, and Smart off the bench can win 50 games.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#150 » by Darth Celtic » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:28 pm

CelticFaninLBC wrote:Part of Plan B should be not making 3 1st round draft picks on Thursday. Move Yabs & #22 to Houston for a future protected pick and their TPE's.

Resign Horford to a 3-4 year deal, and have about $13-15 million of cap space to use on Rubio. I'm not sure if they can still use the MLE, but they'd have a very solid team.

Horford, Hayward, Tatum, Brown, Rubio, with Baynes, Williams, Ojeleye, and Smart off the bench can win 50 games.

We wont have cap space as we will keep Rozier because you don't lose assets you control for nothing.

Now, you can offer them 9+M MLE.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#151 » by Darth Celtic » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:31 pm

Half-Full wrote:
Darth Celtic wrote:
Half-Full wrote:

Why is that we fall back? Because we lose Kyrie? The argument can be made (indeed, has been made) that the Celtics played better when Kyrie did not play, and our W-L record with Kyrie out of the lineup backs that up. Maybe we really are a better team without Kyrie, one more reason that he best option is to wait and see what happens.

People act that losing a 2nd team all NBA PG won't make us worse record wise when we got nothing back for him. Faults or not, you can't use a tiny sample size of hand picked rest or "injury" games from last year to conclude we will win more with him just gone.

Morris too. If he leaves, as he should, he basically carried us to wins in the first 2 months last year. Cooled off after the allstar break, but he for sure carried us with hot, hot 3pt shooting.
jeremym480
Senior
And1: 1,094

Post#152 » by jeremym480 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:33 pm

Plan B - re-sign Al to an extension, convince the Nets to S&T Kyrie for D'Lo

Plan C - Al opts in and run it back with everyone from last year minus Kyrie. Treadmill it for a year or two to wait on cap space and hope that the Memphis pick ends up being good and the Jay's progress... maybe get hot in the playoffs and make a 17/18 type of run

Plan D - trade Al to Houston for Capela and Gordon, then sign Rubio with the MLE. Like someone else said become the East's version of the Utah Jazz.

I'm hoping Danny has bigger plans than any of those and my mind just hasn't comprehended it yet.
CelticFaninLBC
General Manager
And1: 3,068

Post#153 » by CelticFaninLBC » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:40 pm

Darth Celtic wrote:
CelticFaninLBC wrote:Part of Plan B should be not making 3 1st round draft picks on Thursday. Move Yabs & #22 to Houston for a future protected pick and their TPE's.

We wont have cap space as we will keep Rozier because you don't lose assets you control for nothing.

There didn't seem to be much of a trade market for Rozier, and if they bring back Rozier it seems he'll cry because Hayward gets too many touches.
tfribs45
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,295

Post#154 » by tfribs45 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:54 pm

the sky is not falling, plenty of assets on this team. Obviously Danny needs to add some firepower, but there are a ton of options to move forward. First things first, resign playoff Al, he's one of our leaders! Strike on a stud PG @14 and away we go...
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 93,936

Post#155 » by zoyathedestroya » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:01 pm

CeltsfaninDC wrote:
JR Hawks wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:Youth movement with Rozier as tank commander.

I'm down for the tank and Rozier would be the perfect loser to lead it, but that guy doesn't deserve to wear a Celtics jersey again after the crap he pulled this year.

pretty much this exact team went to the Conf Finals a year ago, but now they are suddenly a lottery team?

Shoulda green-fonted that one. Even if we sold off vets and we're left with just Smart/Tatum/Brown, that would still make 8th seed. Because Brad Stevens. And it really seems to me that ownership wants to avoid years of tanking if possible.
amory87
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,434

Post#156 » by amory87 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:03 pm

Run it back, I guess. If Brown and Tatum each take a step forward next season we could still be really good. If Hayward starts to look like Hayward again, we'll be even better. Maybe we'll hit with one of our draft picks. Maybe we'll bring in a name-brand FA to get excited about.

Idk I'm feeling optimistic. At the very least we should have a roster full of guys who actually want to play for the Celtics next year. We haven't been able to say that for a while.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#157 » by Darth Celtic » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:29 pm

CelticFaninLBC wrote:
Darth Celtic wrote:

There didn't seem to be much of a trade market for Rozier, and if they bring back Rozier it seems he'll cry because Hayward gets too many touches.

Nobody trades assets for a guy heading for restricted free agency in 4 months. At least not real assets. Get him on a 4 year 48m contract and have him start some games again and build his value, and people might.
Half-Full
Bench Warmer

Post#158 » by Half-Full » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:29 pm

Darth Celtic wrote:
Half-Full wrote:
Darth Celtic wrote:Sure, all of that can happen. Also, Kawhi and Gasol could both leave the Raptors, Middleton could leave the Bucks with Brogdon, Sixers could lose Harris and Butler. Nets could lose Dlo and only get KD (who won't play) and Kyrie in return and actually win less games. More likely they all don't fall and more likely we fall back. How far? Who knows. I've been saying 6-10 seed for a bit now. Sure it could be 5 seed but highly unlikely. It could be 9 seed, but probably unlikely. It's been a while since our team outlook has been so far apart.

People act that losing a 2nd team all NBA PG won't make us worse record wise when we got nothing back for him. Faults or not, you can't use a tiny sample size of hand picked rest or "injury" games from last year to conclude we will win more with him just gone.

Morris too. If he leaves, as he should, he basically carried us to wins in the first 2 months last year. Cooled off after the allstar break, but he for sure carried us with hot, hot 3pt shooting.

It's not exactly a tiny sample size. This year there was a stretch of 11 games the Celtics were without Kyrie, and we went 9-2. The previous year, we were 11-8 in the play offs, and 14-8 in the regular season, without Kyrie. That's a total of 52 games with a W-L record of 34-18. That's a win percentage of .654. This season the Celtics finished with a win percentage of .598. So yeah, I think a case can be made that we are a better team, or certainly not worse.
DaTruth34
Junior
And1: 314

Post#159 » by DaTruth34 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:39 pm

Half-Full wrote:
Darth Celtic wrote:
Half-Full wrote:

It's not exactly a tiny sample size. This year there was a stretch of 11 games the Celtics were without Kyrie, and we went 9-2. The previous year, we were 11-8 in the play offs, and 14-8 in the regular season, without Kyrie. That's a total of 52 games with a W-L record of 34-18. That's a win percentage of .654. This season the Celtics finished with a win percentage of .598. So yeah, I think a case can be made that we are a better team, or certainly not worse.
This year without kyrie I think record is 11-3

Inviato dal mio BAH2-W19 utilizzando Tapatalk
SLCceltic
Analyst
And1: 1,843

Post#160 » by SLCceltic » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:16 pm

Plan B has to involve Conley ....and then capella or KAT

We have the assets to acquire real talent
I firmly believe in DA !
ROYALGREEN

Return to Boston Celtics