ImageImageImage

Fire Brad Stevens.

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

sportfan6197
Senior
And1: 321

Re: Fire Brad Stevens. 

Post#141 » by sportfan6197 » Fri Apr 9, 2021 2:19 am

Gomes3PC wrote:
Patsfan1081 wrote:
Gomes3PC wrote:This should be the first thing folks ask. The players can't coach themselves, so just getting rid of Brad doesn't solve anything.

Juwan Howard, Sam Cassell, anyone with a little backbone...Brad’s a great ax’s and O’s guy, does little good though when guys aren’t willing to run the plays though.

Who's the last team to win a title with a rah rah coach that can't scheme? That sht doesn't work in the NBA.

This team isn't executing because there's no player with innate playmaking skills. Tatum, Brown and Kemba are all scorers, they don't have natural vision/playmaking.

Ty Lue?
moonie_mcgee
Starter
And1: 1,794

Post#142 » by moonie_mcgee » Fri Apr 9, 2021 2:27 am

Gomes3PC wrote:
LoquaciousLarry wrote:If you did fire Stevens, who would be your choice to replace him?

This should be the first thing folks ask. The players can't coach themselves, so just getting rid of Brad doesn't solve anything.

Well actually they could. Russell was a player coach, had a good coaching staff too. Even won a title. :wink: So if new leadership doesn't solve anything when your team underperforms, why does it successfully work so often and how would you change the team's culture? :-?
That's the Way of the World
moonie_mcgee
Starter

Post#143 » by moonie_mcgee » Fri Apr 9, 2021 2:50 am

Patsfan1081 wrote:
CeltsfaninDC wrote:I'm old enough to remember when we heard these exact things about..... Doc Rivers. He needed to be fired, he couldn't coach, without Thibs he'd be even worse. And then something magical happened: we got RA and KG and suddenly Doc was a great coach again and they won a ring.

Brad is not the problem here.

Doc didn’t allow his guys to play how ever they felt like, a big reason why he butted heads with guys.m Smart saying he’s going to keep on jacking up shots no matter what anyone says just tells you how lacking a identity is such a problem.

Oh they have an identity and it hasn't been a strength since Kyrie emasculated Stevens :oops: . How quickly fans forget unacceptable performances and missed opportunities. Right now Smart can't compete as he did prior to his injury but he arguably competes and plays the right way more than nearly anyone on the team :nod: . Doc'd have Smart in his rotation in Philly all day long and he'd have this team performing to their capabilities better than Stevens. When Ainge goes all in :o why would you risk continuing to lead this team with Stevens? I thought the objective was to win titles. :-?
moonie_mcgee
Starter

Post#144 » by moonie_mcgee » Fri Apr 9, 2021 3:01 am

Patsfan1081 wrote:
Gomes3PC wrote:
LoquaciousLarry wrote:If you did fire Stevens, who would be your choice to replace him?

This should be the first thing folks ask. The players can't coach themselves, so just getting rid of Brad doesn't solve anything.

Juwan Howard, Sam Cassell, anyone with a little backbone...Brad’s a great ax’s and O’s guy, does little good though when guys aren’t willing to run the plays though.

I like Cassell too. I can't believe this is so hard.
Regardless, I think he's going to resign and take one of the big collegiate openings in the offseason. Just a hunch but can't see him here if and when Ainge makes his move. That team will be very different and this team's culture would be counter productive.
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 19,364

Post#145 » by playa-hater » Fri Apr 9, 2021 3:02 am

Chauncey Billups .. next question.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
moonie_mcgee
Starter

Post#146 » by moonie_mcgee » Fri Apr 9, 2021 3:30 am

Gomes3PC wrote:
Patsfan1081 wrote:
Gomes3PC wrote:This should be the first thing folks ask. The players can't coach themselves, so just getting rid of Brad doesn't solve anything.

Who's the last team to win a title with a rah rah coach that can't scheme? That sht doesn't work in the NBA.

This team isn't executing because there's no player with innate playmaking skills. Tatum, Brown and Kemba are all scorers, they don't have natural vision/playmaking.

Gomes that's a strawman. No one implied a rah rah coach (though the players might prefer that over folded arms).

You implying Howard and Cassell can't scheme? OK. If Stevens has a doctorate in scheming then that just supports the notion that he's more suited for the collegiate game. Maybe Dr. Stevens should just fire those 12 dudes sitting behind the bench in matching costumes.

The Celts stars have enough vision and playmaking skills to compete and win against several quality opponents. Did Stevens' vision and coaching skills motivate and win against several lottery teams?
Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

Post#147 » by Ernest » Fri Apr 9, 2021 4:13 am

moonie_mcgee wrote:

Scalabrine. Imo he fits the criteria (coaching, strategic, tactical, experience, communicator, charisma) of an NBA coach.

And then I'd hire mike Gorman to be the assistant coach and Abby Chin to be Scals girlfriend.
Ernest
Sixth Man

Post#148 » by Ernest » Fri Apr 9, 2021 4:16 am

moonie_mcgee wrote:
Gomes3PC wrote:
Patsfan1081 wrote:

Gomes that's a strawman. No one implied a rah rah coach (though the players might prefer that over folded arms).

You implying Howard and Cassell can't scheme? OK. If Stevens has a doctorate in scheming then that just supports the notion that he's more suited for the collegiate game. Maybe Dr. Stevens should just fire those 12 dudes sitting behind the bench in matching costumes.

The Celts stars have enough vision and playmaking skills to compete and win against several quality opponents. Did Stevens' vision and coaching skills motivate and win against several lottery teams?

Tip to all the young readers out there: Whenever you see someone use the phrase "strawman" they are whacked out of their gourd.
moonie_mcgee
Starter

Post#149 » by moonie_mcgee » Fri Apr 9, 2021 11:01 am

Ernest wrote:
moonie_mcgee wrote:
Gomes3PC wrote:Who's the last team to win a title with a rah rah coach that can't scheme? That sht doesn't work in the NBA.

Tip to all the young readers out there: Whenever you see someone use the phrase "strawman" they are whacked out of their gourd.

Here's a better tip for you true believers. This is when you know you're over the target --- they got nothing left.
moonie_mcgee
Starter

Post#150 » by moonie_mcgee » Fri Apr 9, 2021 11:13 am

Ernest wrote:
moonie_mcgee wrote:

Scalabrine. Imo he fits the criteria (coaching, strategic, tactical, experience, communicator, charisma) of an NBA coach.

And then I'd hire mike Gorman to be the assistant coach and Abby Chin to be Scals girlfriend.

:lol: Scal would staff with vets.
JediMasterRevan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,047

Post#151 » by JediMasterRevan » Fri Apr 9, 2021 11:57 am

moonie_mcgee wrote:
JediMasterRevan wrote:
moonie_mcgee wrote:

Lol

Well I'm no jedi master. So who'd you hire? :-?
I gave you 6 reasons and you'll see add one more: fiery.
You got 3 letters and a smart ass 8-)

THat wasnt a joke post????

If I am looking at a former player with zero coaching pedigree I would call Pierce or Garnett first.

But in regards to actual options:
Cassell
Messina
Howard
Hamond
HArdy
moonie_mcgee
Starter

Post#152 » by moonie_mcgee » Fri Apr 9, 2021 5:12 pm

JediMasterRevan wrote:
moonie_mcgee wrote:
JediMasterRevan wrote:
Lol

If I am looking at a former player with zero coaching pedigree I would call Pierce or Garnett first.

Cassell
Messina
Howard
Hamond
HArdy

Sorry Jedi Master but Heinsohn was a broadcaster from 1966-69, was named headcoach in 1969, with 0 coaching experience, and won 2 titles. You're a big fan, you know this right? I gotta get back to work but I'll get back later to respond to: Ya but that was different. That was a long time ago. Times are different. Players are different.
JediMasterRevan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,047

Post#153 » by JediMasterRevan » Fri Apr 9, 2021 5:48 pm

moonie_mcgee wrote:
JediMasterRevan wrote:
moonie_mcgee wrote:

Cassell
Messina
Howard
Hamond
HArdy

Sorry Jedi Master but Heinsohn was a broadcaster from 1966-69, was named headcoach in 1969, with 0 coaching experience, and won 2 titles. You're a big fan, you know this right? I gotta get back to work but I'll get back later to respond to: Ya but that was different. That was a long time ago. Times are different. Players are different.

There is a huge difference between Tommy and Scal.

It isnt even close.

Tommy was the Rookie of the YEar, won 8 titles in 9 years, was an allstar 6 times, all nba 2nd team 4 times.

And he learned the game under, arguably, the greatest coach of all time in Red.

Jackson addressed the circumstances surrounding both Scalabrine and Erman in detail with the NBA's Sirius XM radio station on Wednesday. Although he chose not to mention either man by name, Jackson referenced "disrespect" from Scalabrine and referred to Erman's behavior as "inexcuseable." The 49-year-old Jackson admitted that he regretted not taking action earlier in response to Scalabrine's behavior while also suggesting that Erman was guilty of disloyalty.

"The one that was demoted [Scalabrine], I would have had handled it six weeks, a month, two months earlier. The things that took place from his side, I would have nipped it in the bud initially. That's my fault for allowing it to go on. I'm pretty much a guy, just like ministry, I try to show you a different way of handling it. Hope that seeing me handle your disrespect, you'll come around and realize this isn't the way to handle it. Fortunately for me, it works for a lot of folks, there are some folks that just won't get it and you have to handle them differently. I would do that differently.

https://www.si.com/nba/2014/05/07/mark-jackson-fired-warriors-brian-scalabrine-darren-erman

I would hire Vince Carter long before scalabrine
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#154 » by cloverleaf » Fri Apr 9, 2021 8:19 pm

How about Nick Van Exel?
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#155 » by cloverleaf » Fri Apr 9, 2021 8:22 pm

JediMasterRevan wrote:
moonie_mcgee wrote:
JediMasterRevan wrote:

Cassell
Messina
Howard
Hamond
HArdy

It isnt even close.

Tommy was the Rookie of the YEar, won 8 titles in 9 years, was an allstar 6 times, all nba 2nd team 4 times.

Jackson addressed the circumstances surrounding both Scalabrine and Erman in detail with the NBA's Sirius XM radio station on Wednesday. Although he chose not to mention either man by name, Jackson referenced "disrespect" from Scalabrine and referred to Erman's behavior as "inexcuseable." The 49-year-old Jackson admitted that he regretted not taking action earlier in response to Scalabrine's behavior while also suggesting that Erman was guilty of disloyalty.

"The one that was demoted [Scalabrine], I would have had handled it six weeks, a month, two months earlier. The things that took place from his side, I would have nipped it in the bud initially. That's my fault for allowing it to go on. I'm pretty much a guy, just like ministry, I try to show you a different way of handling it. Hope that seeing me handle your disrespect, you'll come around and realize this isn't the way to handle it. Fortunately for me, it works for a lot of folks, there are some folks that just won't get it and you have to handle them differently. I would do that differently.

https://www.si.com/nba/2014/05/07/mark-jackson-fired-warriors-brian-scalabrine-darren-erman

Tommy was ever so much smarter than Scal with way more experience and success--and not a jerk, as Scal is showing himself to be.

Nash seems to be doing okay stepping into the headcoach role without climbing the coaching ladder.

And I don't want Pierce as a coach (or a front office guy or an announcer or analyst...), thank you.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 26,273

Post#156 » by Fencer reregistered » Fri Apr 9, 2021 8:43 pm

In conflict between Mark Jackson and anybody, I wouldn't assume the other person was in the wrong.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
moonie_mcgee
Starter

Post#157 » by moonie_mcgee » Fri Apr 9, 2021 10:48 pm

JediMasterRevan wrote:
moonie_mcgee wrote:
JediMasterRevan wrote:

Cassell
Messina
Howard
Hamond
HArdy

It isnt even close.

Well the main point is Tommy did what you implied doesn't work. Also glad you didn't mention the difference in eras but what does their playing career resumes have to do with it? This was discussed elsewhere as HOFers often don't translate to great headcoaches. You got a good point about playing under Red, who also remained withe team in front office which I'm sure helped. Good article too, thanks.
moonie_mcgee
Starter

Post#158 » by moonie_mcgee » Fri Apr 9, 2021 10:59 pm

For another broadcaster to bench idea, I like Greg Anthony. He's my favorite analyst, but there's a lot of good ones out there.

To me the role of the NBA headcoach is to impose his will on the culture, the expectations and the locker room.
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#159 » by cloverleaf » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:15 pm

playa-hater wrote:Chauncey Billups .. next question.

Hadn't thought of Billups. Just a few months as an assistant coach, but definitely a possibility.

Half of me thinks that Wyc and Brad have been playing a game of chicken re: Brad's contract since the opening in Indiana came up, with Brad likely wanting a settlement to move on that Wyc and crew weren't ready to swallow. But they're a multibillion-dollar enterprise and sunk coaching contracts don't zap them with possible luxury/repeater implications the way bad player contracts do, so I could really see the organization making a move if, say, the C's go home after losing their NIT game.
Ernest
Sixth Man

Post#160 » by Ernest » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:48 pm

They are not firing Brad people. 1 ECF would have bought him a pass on a .500 season with a young and covid riddled team. LEt alone 3. And the year is not over. If we somehow miss the playoffs- even then he wouldn't get fired. It would take missing the playoffs and then a bad first half to next season. Or something would have to come out that the team turned on him. Or he'd have to get arrested or something.

Return to Boston Celtics