ImageImageImage

Trade Thread #8: All Gordon things come to an End

Moderators: bisme37, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10

Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 26,044

Re: Trade Thread #8: All Gordon things come to an End 

Post#1501 » by Fencer reregistered » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:47 pm

jfs1000d wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:
Patsfan1081 wrote::banghead: There is no way Danny can go into the season with Langford and Nesmith as the only backup wings. For one both are coming off injuries, Langford will actually miss the start of the season. Also there just isn’t enough scoring. He has to address it some way.

How about waiting until the off season is over

Actually, I am fine with that as long as we have a huge tpe.

At some point, our draft picks gotta play. Keep smart on bench. Romeo, Nesmith, Edwards compete for starting guard spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope. Smart should start. And Kemba should take or share Tatum's place as first guy to the bench/leader of the second unit, on the theory that reserve lineups are less likely to stress him defensively.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 14,061

Post#1502 » by jfs1000d » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:47 pm

Guys. We can trade for players who have contracts. Rome, Theis, Edwards/green is $10M. We Java 5m toe grin Kanter. We have a bae, but I think we will use that next year.

Darthlukey
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 3,265

Post#1503 » by Darthlukey » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:53 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:
ConstableGeneva wrote:
Read on Twitter

Upgrading from Teague to George Hill at the deadline would be nice. GIVE US THE TPE ALREADY!

Can do it now. I believe Ariza has been trade 4 times this off season

There is a waiting period to trade recently signed players i believe
jfs1000d
RealGM

Trade Thread #8: All Gordon things come to an End 

Post#1504 » by jfs1000d » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:55 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:
jfs1000d wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:How about waiting until the off season is over

At some point, our draft picks gotta play. Keep smart on bench. Romeo, Nesmith, Edwards compete for starting guard spot.

Nope. Smart should start. And Kemba should take or share Tatum's place as first guy to the bench/leader of the second unit, on the theory that reserve lineups are less likely to stress him defensively.

We can play with it. But I like starting Romeo or nesmith or even grant spending on matchups and bringing smart off the bench. Smart closes though.

Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,545

Post#1505 » by Shak_Celts » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:55 pm

jfs1000d wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:How about waiting until the off season is over

He will. Don't know if I agree anymore. I need to see 20 games outside the bubble, to see if I like it.
NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(!)
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#1506 » by Bleeding Green » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:56 pm

Darth Celtic wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:Wait, Nesmith has better playmaking ability and handle than Jaylen Brown now?
No. He shoots

Sent from my moto g(7) using RealGM mobile app

The couchgm guy wants to move Brown from SG to SF because of Brown's playmaking and handle deficiences so I thought the implication was that the SG would thus have better playmaking ability and handle.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
The Corey's
RealGM
And1: 6,988

Post#1507 » by The Corey's » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:58 pm

No real reports on sign and trade. Starting to get worried here.
jfs1000d
RealGM

Post#1508 » by jfs1000d » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:00 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:
Darth Celtic wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:Wait, Nesmith has better playmaking ability and handle than Jaylen Brown now?
No. He shoots

The couchgm guy wants to move Brown from SG to SF because of Brown's playmaking and handle deficiences so I thought the implication was that the SG would thus have better playmaking ability and handle.

In modern hoops, no difference between either wing. I get seeing a secondary ball handler, but we got Tatum to handle.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 54,700

Post#1509 » by Parliament10 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:01 pm

The Corey's wrote:No real reports on sign and trade. Starting to get worried here.

Déjà vu.
This waiting game is getting played out.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#1510 » by MagicBagley18 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:01 pm

U guys think it’ll be awkward for harden and Tristan since they both have a past with khloe kardashian
SMTBSI
RealGM
And1: 25,281

Post#1511 » by SMTBSI » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:01 pm

Patsfan1081 wrote:There is no way Danny can go into the season with Langford and Nesmith as the only backup wings.

A lot can still happen, but I bet he would be willing to.

The one thing I feel like I know pretty much for sure about Ainge, after years of watching his team-building, is that he always leans on the side of more depth at PG and C. The rational seems to be that your bigger guards (Smart, Wanamaker) can cascade down to the 2 and sometimes 3, and your smaller, more mobile bigs (Theis, Grant) can cascade up, but you really don't want your wings having to play PG or C (at least, you don't want to be forced to - smallball by choice is okay, by necessity not as much).

It's not surprising to me at all that our main veteran FA acquisitions are at PG and C. Looking at the roster composition pre-TT and Teague, anything else would have surprised me.

We know they have some comfort level with both Grant and (like it or not) Semi. And in a world where both Nesmith and Langford fail to contribute, you just have to lean heavier on Teague as backup 1 and play Smart at the 2-3. If either Nesmith or Langford do contribute, you're sitting pretty.

On the other hand if you went out and got a serviceable vet wing instead of Teague, and say Nesmith did pan out, but Pritchard didn't, now you're really shallow at PG, and have a surplus on the wing.

Basically, we can weather a shortage on the wing a bit better than at PG, because of how interchangable 2-4 is - you've simply got more players on your team that can moonlight in different spots.
jfs1000d
RealGM

Post#1512 » by jfs1000d » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:03 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:
Darth Celtic wrote:
No. He shoots

Probably scouring options. Maybe a 3 team.
SMTBSI
RealGM

Post#1513 » by SMTBSI » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:05 pm

Shak_Celts wrote:
jfs1000d wrote:Actually, I am fine with that as long as we have a huge tpe.

He will. Don't know if I agree anymore. I need to see 20 games outside the bubble, to see if I like it.

He probably will, but our highest ceiling path is for Nesmith to pan out right off the bat, and push Teague out of the rotation entirely.

Nesmith doesn't need to be better than Smart, but having Smart backing up Kemba, and all of 1-3 in general, is still our strongest configuration right now.

imo.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 64,056

Post#1514 » by Celts17Pride » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:06 pm

Read on Twitter

Good for him. He is awful
MrGreenRunsDeep
Sixth Man
And1: 1,740

Post#1515 » by MrGreenRunsDeep » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:07 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
The Corey's wrote:No real reports on sign and trade. Starting to get worried here.

Déjà vu.

I think, nothing is happening .. talks are dead. Things like this don’t take that much of
time ...
Just a Fan From Toronto Canada who Loves the Boston Celtics & Toronto Raptors!
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#1516 » by MagicBagley18 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:08 pm

I think the 4th quarter lineup at the 3,4,5 Tatum tucker Thompson will make up for defensive inadequacy of harden and kemba. Always can go small with a tucker grant will 4, 5, line up given the match up
Celts17Pride
RealGM

Post#1517 » by Celts17Pride » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:08 pm

Read on Twitter

Waiting for the Boston TPE? This is a good question
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 26,044

Post#1518 » by Fencer reregistered » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:12 pm

So where do we stand on roster slots?

14 seem locked in.

Theis/TT/RobWill
Grant/Semi
Jayson/Jaylen/Nesmith/Romeo/Edwards
Kemba/Smart/Teague/Pritchard

I included Edwards because we've made two salary-dumping trades without gettng rid of him.

That leaves one slot for Green, Waters and Fall, although at least Fall might well be amenable to a two-way for another season.

Space is getting a bit tight.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Celts17Pride
RealGM

Post#1519 » by Celts17Pride » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:12 pm

Read on Twitter
SMTBSI
RealGM

Post#1520 » by SMTBSI » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:12 pm

MrGreenRunsDeep wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:

Déjà vu.

I think, nothing is happening .. talks are dead. Things like this don’t take that much of
time ...

Charlotte has every incentive in the world to try to move someone like Rozier, instead of stretch-waiving Batum. It's totally understandable that they'd try until the bitter end, before biting the bullet.

I don't see much reason for Boston to be the one who bails them out, so we're probably just waiting on them to finish their due diligence.

The baseline offer is a S&T that nets us a TPE and them a 2nd. They get something small for nothing, while doing what they were going to do anyway. They may prefer to play chicken and try to get more, and we'll cross that bridge if we come to it. But the main point is that we're not going to be the ones to walk away from the baseline. The offer will be sitting there until they decide they want to engage with us on it. Which will presumably happen after they kick all the other tires.

Return to Boston Celtics