ImageImageImage

Boston All-Sports Thread

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

cl2117
General Manager
And1: 6,999

Re: General Boston Sports Thread, Phase 2 

Post#1581 » by cl2117 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:34 pm

TSmith0197 wrote:I’m not one of those fans that thinks their guy is the best guy so to me Mac Jones ceiling is Matt Ryan at best. The other four taken ahead of him have ceilings that are above Matt Ryan IMO.

Matt Ryan won an MVP. That'll do.

Look back at the last decade and there are a lot more Mac/Jones/Matt Ryan esque signal callers in the Superbowl. I know the league is moving towards these superstar dual threats at QB, but you can still get it done with a pocket passer if they get the ball out quick and don't turn it over.

Hard to argue that those other guys don't have a better ceiling than Mac. Lance/Fields are more athletica dual threats, Lawrence is as blue chip as it gets, they all look like better prospects on paper. Mac definitely looks like he can hold his own though.
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 22,120

Post#1582 » by Curmudgeon » Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:30 pm

The problem with those dual threat guys is that they tend to get hurt. The only one who has lasted without serious injury is Russell Wilson.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
TSmith0197
Junior
And1: 342

Post#1583 » by TSmith0197 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:25 pm

cl2117 wrote:
TSmith0197 wrote:I’m not one of those fans that thinks their guy is the best guy so to me Mac Jones ceiling is Matt Ryan at best. The other four taken ahead of him have ceilings that are above Matt Ryan IMO.

Look back at the last decade and there are a lot more Mac/Jones/Matt Ryan esque signal callers in the Superbowl. I know the league is moving towards these superstar dual threats at QB, but you can still get it done with a pocket passer if they get the ball out quick and don't turn it over.

Hard to argue that those other guys don't have a better ceiling than Mac. Lance/Fields are more athletica dual threats, Lawrence is as blue chip as it gets, they all look like better prospects on paper. Mac definitely looks like he can hold his own though.

Don’t get me wrong there nothing wrong with Matt Ryan he nearly won a SB if it wasn’t so for some bad play calling. I see people over at patsfans.com forum comparing this kid to TB12 which is unfair to Mac. I don’t think Mac will ever come close to that and when he doesn’t those same fans might turn on him which again is unfair.
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,562

Post#1584 » by threrf23 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:06 am

TSmith0197 wrote:
cl2117 wrote:

Don’t get me wrong there nothing wrong with Matt Ryan he nearly won a SB if it wasn’t so for some bad play calling. I see people over at patsfans.com forum comparing this kid to TB12 which is unfair to Mac. I don’t think Mac will ever come close to that and when he doesn’t those same fans might turn on him which again is unfair.

Back in the day (generally) nobody thought Tom Brady would ever come close to being a GOAT. Even after winning the Super Bowl, he was considered a game manager who rode the coattails of a good defense coupled with conservative play calling.

But Tom was always a competent game manager and leader with great intangibles. I haven't watched enough of Mac to have a strong opinion just yet, but he looks decent so far and I'm sure that Nick Saban gave a good word.

Matt Ryan is maybe Drew Bledsoe caliber IMO, good high upside QB...who tends to step on his own foot once or twice a game. Just good enough to be a star (Ryan made MVP but also had good help from his receivers) and make a Super Bowl or two, but how many rings do those guys have? Hopefully Mac is above that, because that's not an ideal long term solution.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 28,537

Post#1585 » by 31to6 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:30 pm

threrf23 wrote:
TSmith0197 wrote:
cl2117 wrote:Matt Ryan won an MVP. That'll do.

Back in the day (generally) nobody thought Tom Brady would ever come close to being a GOAT. Even after winning the Super Bowl, he was considered a game manager who rode the coattails of a good defense coupled with conservative play calling.

But Tom was always a competent game manager and leader with great intangibles. I haven't watched enough of Mac to have a strong opinion just yet, but he looks decent so far and I'm sure that Nick Saban gave a good word.

Matt Ryan is maybe Drew Bledsoe caliber IMO, good high upside QB...who tends to step on his own foot once or twice a game. Just good enough to be a star (Ryan made MVP but also had good help from his receivers) and make a Super Bowl or two, but how many rings do those guys have? Hopefully Mac is above that, because that's not an ideal long term solution.

getting an MVP/Super Bowl contending quarterback at #15 would be a great pick. Bledsoe was #1, Ryan was #3. There's no way he's going to escape the shadow of Brady, but let's at least let Mac play a 2nd game in the pros before we go overboard with it.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
Joshyjess
Assistant Coach
And1: 8,025

Post#1586 » by Joshyjess » Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:14 am

31to6 wrote:
threrf23 wrote:
TSmith0197 wrote:

getting an MVP/Super Bowl contending quarterback at #15 would be a great pick. Bledsoe was #1, Ryan was #3. There's no way he's going to escape the shadow of Brady, but let's at least let Mac play a 2nd game in the pros before we go overboard with it.

Well, we can always hope that Mac will be like Steve Young was to Montanna. It didn't take the 49ers very long to go all in on Young, and stop talking about the greatness of Montanna. Hopefully it will be the same with the Pats.
31to6
RealGM

Post#1587 » by 31to6 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:48 pm

Joshyjess wrote:
31to6 wrote:
threrf23 wrote:

Well, we can always hope that Mac will be like Steve Young was to Montanna. It didn't take the 49ers very long to go all in on Young, and stop talking about the greatness of Montanna. Hopefully it will be the same with the Pats.

We can hope a lot of things, but if you only hope for things named "Brady" and "Young" you might set yourself up for disappointment.

Speaking of which, how about this Zach Wilson guy?
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,695

Post#1588 » by ParticleMan » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:16 pm

31to6 wrote:
Joshyjess wrote:
31to6 wrote:

We can hope a lot of things, but if you only hope for things named "Brady" and "Young" you might set yourself up for disappointment.

yeah, he's a great player. for us. :lol:
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,562

Post#1589 » by threrf23 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:27 am

31to6 wrote:
Joshyjess wrote:
31to6 wrote:

I mean, I'd be cool with Philip Rivers or Alex Smith.

Wilson completed more than two thirds of his pass attempts today, not so bad, just needs to get better at distinguishing his teammates from the opponents.
moonie_mcgee
Starter
And1: 1,794

Post#1590 » by moonie_mcgee » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:12 am

The Jets are an awful org. Always rebuilding, always wasting high picks. Their last top pick is now productive elsewhere. Wilson will be mismanage and wasted there. Rinse and repeat.

Pats needed this week's opponent. Now we get ready for the Saints. Itll be a good test. Let's see how Jamison handles our defense. Again Philips the man. LBs looking good too.

Miami outclassed by Buffalo. At least there's the Jets.

Got a bunch of recordings for this week's entertainment.
That's the Way of the World
moonie_mcgee
Starter

Post#1591 » by moonie_mcgee » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:56 am

Just finished the Dallas LA game. Lotta penalties but a really good game. Had to be 30,000 Cowboy fans in that LA stadium. Live sports are back :nod:!
moonie_mcgee
Starter

Post#1592 » by moonie_mcgee » Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:57 am

I read Payton Manning is still talking about the Pats. Bugging the locker room :lol: Wouldn't surprise me and wouldn't faze me either. Manning and a LONG line of high draft pick HOF QBs can't stand the fact that Brady, the underwhelming 199 pick, has SEVEN super bowl rings, and has CLOSED the book on the half century debate of who's the greatest QB of all time. And another SB would make it THREE dynasties by a single player. Enjoy the ride Payton.
GoGreen
Analyst
And1: 3,486

Post#1593 » by GoGreen » Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:16 am

moonie_mcgee wrote:I read Payton Manning is still talking about the Pats. Bugging the locker room :lol: Wouldn't surprise me and wouldn't faze me either. Manning and a LONG line of high draft pick HOF QBs can't stand the fact that Brady, the underwhelming 199 pick, has SEVEN super bowl rings, and has CLOSED the book on the half century debate of who's the greatest QB of all time. And another SB would make it THREE dynasties by a single player. Enjoy the ride Payton.

I can't stand Peyton. Can't STAND him. Fake Mr values, good ol' boy act that's all garbage and too many people buy into it. Dude is a fraud and a half
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 55,071

Post#1594 » by Parliament10 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:00 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/news/mlb-standings-2021-playoff-bracket-magic-numbers/1gaelvre9frmr104tvkss0uu1t
American League wild-card standings
WC1: Red Sox, 88-65 (.575)
WC2: Yankees, 86-67 (.562)
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Tatumfor2
Starter
And1: 4,804

Post#1595 » by Tatumfor2 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:26 pm

Red Sox...

Win it for Al!!! :pray:
31to6
RealGM

Post#1596 » by 31to6 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:53 pm

Tatumfor2 wrote:Red Sox...

we know that even if they got to them in the ALCS, they're not beating the Rays.
but it'd be an all-time low to get swept by the Yanks at home right now so I hope they get their **** together today
BRUNiNHO91
RealGM
And1: 22,817

Post#1597 » by BRUNiNHO91 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:46 pm

This offense sucks dude. Even though Mac is a better player they are just as wack as they were last year with Newton.
A new dawn will rise in Boston. ‎#StayLoyal THANK YOU TRUTH!
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 22,120

Post#1598 » by Curmudgeon » Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:16 pm

BRUNiNHO91 wrote:This offense sucks dude. Even though Mac is a better player they are just as wack as they were last year with Newton.

The Patriots' offensive line is atrocious.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West

"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells

"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
BRUNiNHO91
RealGM
And1: 22,817

Post#1599 » by BRUNiNHO91 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:49 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:
BRUNiNHO91 wrote:This offense sucks dude. Even though Mac is a better player they are just as wack as they were last year with Newton.

The Patriots' offensive line is atrocious.

Everything about their offense is atrocious tbh.
A new dawn will rise in Boston. ‎#StayLoyal THANK YOU TRUTH!
1st banana
Starter
And1: 3,111

Post#1600 » by 1st banana » Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:38 am

Jesus the o line has been just horrendous. I know Trent brown is out but good lord move onwenu back to right tackle and shift karras to guard if Justin Herron is gonna continue to get bodied.

And what’s with Isaiah Wynn, will scar please come back to save us.

Won’t even discuss #81 today won’t even write his name. I like him but he was flat out **** today.

Return to Boston Celtics