ImageImageImage

Celtics 2023-24, Season Thread, (con't)

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 97,069

Re: Celtics 2023-24, Season Thread, (con't) 

Post#1761 » by zoyathedestroya » Thu May 23, 2024 10:07 am

Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 65,164

Post#1762 » by Celts17Pride » Thu May 23, 2024 5:27 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:

Hopefully later on you have a great followup to this. :wink:
London2Boston
General Manager
And1: 12,773

Post#1763 » by London2Boston » Thu May 23, 2024 5:47 pm

Little annoying the lack of love for the team with the best record when it came to personal accolades.

We heard all season how this is a super team and that is why Tatum can not be compared to others completely carrying their team, but ultimately this super team consisted of Two All Stars(One of them All NBA) and two 2nd team Defence. No COY,6MOY,MIP recognition. Minny who has the supposed new face of the league received just as much if not more love, but you won't hear Edwards getting the Tatum treatment. Bum teams like Lakers and Suns received the same recognition . Seems like the Super Team stuff was just an easy excuse to allow certain players to leapfrog Tatum without the achievements and the voters could not bring themselves to back it up by rewarding the rest of the team at least.

Ahh well. Guess we will just have to settle for Championship Rings for everyone.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 55,486

Post#1764 » by Parliament10 » Thu May 23, 2024 8:49 pm

Read on Twitter
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
keevsnick1
Veteran
And1: 4,306

Post#1765 » by keevsnick1 » Fri May 24, 2024 3:13 am

If I was the Mavericks or the Wolves and I won the Western Conference Finals I may seriously just consider forfeiting the NBA finals. God clearly wants the Celtics to win and at this point its not worth risking the health of Edwards or Luka in an attempt to defy HIS will.
bigfoot_cryptozoology
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,411

Post#1766 » by bigfoot_cryptozoology » Fri May 24, 2024 7:32 am

keevsnick1 wrote:If I was the Mavericks or the Wolves and I won the Western Conference Finals I may seriously just consider forfeiting the NBA finals. God clearly wants the Celtics to win and at this point its not worth risking the health of Edwards or Luka in an attempt to defy HIS will.

And yet, who is more powerful, God or Luka?
Asian Celtic
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,690

Post#1767 » by Asian Celtic » Fri May 24, 2024 10:24 am

The GB is such a hating cesspool you either get a Hating Tatum or a Hating Brown thread. If one plays better than the other, the other one gets attacked lmao.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#1768 » by zoyathedestroya » Fri May 24, 2024 11:09 am

Read on Twitter

We're living in the Upside Down when Boogie and Dwight are the ex-players giving our team props.
London2Boston
General Manager

Post#1769 » by London2Boston » Fri May 24, 2024 11:24 am

Add one more to the Celtics Army.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#1770 » by zoyathedestroya » Fri May 24, 2024 11:29 am

Sheeran angling to replace Lucky if this music thing doesn't pan out.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#1771 » by zoyathedestroya » Fri May 24, 2024 1:28 pm

Read on Twitter

I hope they really do. **** the stupid narratives. Just go win.
tfribs45
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,463

Post#1772 » by tfribs45 » Fri May 24, 2024 1:46 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

You know 18 is close when the general board and every other fanbase is whining about injuries and our playoff run etc....Most dominant team all year, the Saltiness is at an all time high! Time to seal the deal, we've been knocking on that door for years and will continue to do so for the J's era. One game at a time!
keevsnick1
Veteran
And1: 4,306

Post#1773 » by keevsnick1 » Fri May 24, 2024 4:16 pm

The stat ESPN had yesterday about the Celtics having a 20 POINT LEAD in 47 of 94 games played this season. That's just truly crazy.

Have the Celtics had an easy run so far? Yes. But also they have just so clearly been the best team this year that it shouldn't really matter. Even if all three of the Heat, Cavs and Pacers were 100% healthy none of those teams were beating this Boston team even WITHOUT Kristaps out there. The injuries made it easier, without those injuries maybe the series go longer, but they didn't change the outcome. Some good but not great mid to high 40's win team wasn't going to beat the Celtics.

They have no weak spot on defense, a bunch of great shooters, and 4 guys who can beta you off the dribble. That's an awesome playoff recipe.
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 9,255

Post#1774 » by sam_I_am » Fri May 24, 2024 4:18 pm

What’s wrong with the Celtics? According to the pundits, they aren’t locked in or taking things seriously enough. Meanwhile they are 10-2 with a franchise playoff record of six 15 point victories so far.

What’s wrong with Tatum? He isn’t playing like a top 5 player against Indiana. If we manage to get to finals, “he won’t be the best player”. Meanwhile, he scores 20 points in second half of what was one of his career worst playoff games and is averaging 30 ppg against Pacers so far. For point of reference, ANT - the anointed second coming of MJ - had 18 pts in game 1 home loss against Dallas.

The Jays can’t play together but if Tatum had 2 more points last night they would have tied Bird and McHales team record of 25 pt games together.

This team is incredible. They are destroying the competition without Porzingas. Think about that, without KP playing we basically swapped Smart, Rob Williams, Brogdon, Blake and Grant for Jrue and are crushing it. Only other difference is that injuries have favored Cs so far whereas they were lopsided against them the past 2 years.
"I think the criticism's stupid," Stevens said. "So I don't care. I'm with Jaylen (Brown) on that. Those two had achieved more than most 25 and 26 year olds ever had. I'd rather be in the mix and have my guts ripped out than suck."
Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,939

Post#1775 » by Gant » Fri May 24, 2024 4:48 pm

sam_I_am wrote:What’s wrong with the Celtics? According to the pundits, they aren’t locked in or taking things seriously enough. Meanwhile they are 10-2 with a franchise playoff record of six 15 point victories so far.

What’s wrong with Tatum? He isn’t playing like a top 5 player against Indiana. If we manage to get to finals, “he won’t be the best player”. Meanwhile, he scores 20 points in second half of what was one of his career worst playoff games and is averaging 30 ppg against Pacers so far. For point of reference, ANT - the anointed second coming of MJ - had 18 pts in game 1 home loss against Dallas.

The Jays can’t play together but if Tatum had 2 more points last night they would have tied Bird and McHales team record of 25 pt games together.

This team is incredible. They are destroying the competition without Porzingis. Think about that, without KP playing we basically swapped Smart, Rob Williams, Brogdon, Blake and Grant for Jrue and are crushing it. Only other difference is that injuries have favored Cs so far whereas they were lopsided against them the past 2 years.

It is amazing. The more subtle upgrades are-

* Tatum and Brown became physically stronger and better drivers.
* White took on the point guard role, and has even become an occasional temporary go to guy.
* Pritchard and Hauser were promoted from 10 and 9th men to (with Porzingis out) 6th and 7th men. It's amazing that Payton Pritchard is effective as a playoff sixth man. Credit to Brad and Joe for believing in him.
* Mazzulla's philosophies of flexibility in roles and taking advantage of every little detail, have taken root.

But as you say, the biggest single difference really is Holiday replacing Smart. Jrue is not much of a better player than Marcus, but he's a much better fit. Smart is chaotic, whereas Holiday is cool. The team is consistently calmer now because of that. The opposition can no longer force all those Smart late shot clock three pointers in the clutch. That's huge.
fallguy
Head Coach
And1: 11,228

Post#1776 » by fallguy » Fri May 24, 2024 4:58 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

If they win this year, next season will be so chill. Will let Joe stupidity and Tatum shooting issues just roll right off my back.
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 9,255

Post#1777 » by sam_I_am » Fri May 24, 2024 5:17 pm

Gant wrote:
sam_I_am wrote:What’s wrong with the Celtics? According to the pundits, they aren’t locked in or taking things seriously enough. Meanwhile they are 10-2 with a franchise playoff record of six 15 point victories so far.

This team is incredible. They are destroying the competition without Porzingis. Think about that, without KP playing we basically swapped Smart, Rob Williams, Brogdon, Blake and Grant for Jrue and are crushing it. Only other difference is that injuries have favored Cs so far whereas they were lopsided against them the past 2 years.

It is amazing. The more subtle upgrades are-

* Tatum and Brown became physically stronger and better drivers.
* White took on the point guard role, and has even become an occasional temporary go to guy.
* Pritchard and Hauser were promoted from 10 and 9th men to (with Porzingis out) 6th and 7th men. It's amazing that Payton Pritchard is effective as a playoff sixth man. Credit to Brad and Joe for believing in him.
* Mazzulla's philosophies of flexibility in roles and taking advantage of every little detail, have taken root.

But as you say, the biggest single difference really is Holiday replacing Smart. Jrue is not much of a better player than Marcus, but he's a much better fit. Smart is chaotic, whereas Holiday is cool. The team is consistently calmer now because of that. The opposition can no longer force all those Smart late shot clock three pointers in the clutch. That's huge.

We should also point out that Al Horford is 75% of the guy he was when he anchored the defense in the previous finals run. He is currently being asked to play too many minutes and to cover too much ground on defense ….. and yet he is eating those minutes and showing the same fire and leadership he always has even when he is getting lit up on the perimeter.
"I think the criticism's stupid," Stevens said. "So I don't care. I'm with Jaylen (Brown) on that. Those two had achieved more than most 25 and 26 year olds ever had. I'd rather be in the mix and have my guts ripped out than suck."
London2Boston
General Manager

Post#1778 » by London2Boston » Fri May 24, 2024 5:31 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=46

JB isn’t too slow for many. Seems he’s found his kryptonite.
Smart2Nesmith43
Sixth Man
And1: 4,580

Post#1779 » by Smart2Nesmith43 » Fri May 24, 2024 5:36 pm

sam_I_am wrote:We should also point out that Al Horford is 75% of the guy he was when he anchored the defense in the previous finals run. He is currently being asked to play too many minutes and to cover too much ground on defense ….. and yet he is eating those minutes and showing the same fire and leadership he always has even when he is getting lit up on the perimeter.

If the Celtics close out the series against Indiana quickly which looks likely at the moment, they could have like a week off before the finals. In the finals, games are every three days (except between game 3 and 4) instead of every other day so Boston is about to get Porzingis back AND Horford with the most rest he's had in months.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#1780 » by zoyathedestroya » Fri May 24, 2024 6:01 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to Boston Celtics