ImageImageImage

CAN the Celtics be Fixed this year?

Moderators: bisme37, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10

BRUNiNHO91
RealGM
And1: 22,718

Re: FIX the Celtics thread. 

Post#181 » by BRUNiNHO91 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:55 pm

Kemba needs to find his game. That's #1.

There are a few guys that just have to grow into their roles. Grant, Rob, Romeo and Nesmith being the obvious 4 guys.. 1 of those guys has to develop some sort of consistency in the next 20 or so games.

Once we shrink the rotation to have only Marcus, Kemba, JB, JT, Theis, Pritch, Rob or TT + one more guy like Harrison Barnes, we should be ok.
A new dawn will rise in Boston. ‎#StayLoyal THANK YOU TRUTH!
sprash9802
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,339

Post#182 » by sprash9802 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:11 pm

BRUNiNHO91 wrote:Kemba needs to find his game. That's #1.

There are a few guys that just have to grow into their roles. Grant, Rob, Romeo and Nesmith being the obvious 4 guys.. 1 of those guys has to develop some sort of consistency in the next 20 or so games.

Once we shrink the rotation to have only Marcus, Kemba, JB, JT, Theis, Pritch, Rob or TT + one more guy like Harrison Barnes, we should be ok.

Looks like we are just hoping against hope at this point. The fact that we are here, with no more extra draft picks, says a lot about what Ainge has and hasn't done with this roster.
'Mate, you just dropped the World Cup'
-Steve Waugh, the Australian captain, after S. African fielder Herschelle Gibbs dropped his catch in the 1999 Cricket World Cup in England. Australia went on to win the World Cup.
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 14,070

Post#183 » by jfs1000d » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:58 pm

Our too 2 players are ascending. We have taken away talent the last two years, not added to maintain.

This stretch is good for us. Just believe we have two players who are elite for next 5 years.

We need to add around them. Kemba has to play better. But he is only 2 more years after this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sprash9802
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,339

Post#184 » by sprash9802 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:13 pm

jfs1000d wrote:Our too 2 players are ascending. We have taken away talent the last two years, not added to maintain.

This stretch is good for us. Just believe we have two players who are elite for next 5 years.

We need to add around them. Kemba has to play better. But he is only 2 more years after this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As is the number of years left on Brown's extension before he starts looking around...
'Mate, you just dropped the World Cup'

-Steve Waugh, the Australian captain, after S. African fielder Herschelle Gibbs dropped his catch in the 1999 Cricket World Cup in England. Australia went on to win the World Cup.
chrisab123
RealGM
And1: 9,457

Post#185 » by chrisab123 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:43 pm

Nothing you can really do at this point. Bringing in Barnes or Reddick is a bandaid on the real issue. Brad needs assistant coaches that will push him to make adjustments and be hard on some of the players. They also need a real bench. I know we all love the heart of Semi and Green but come on...
BRUNiNHO91
RealGM
And1: 22,718

Post#186 » by BRUNiNHO91 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:39 pm

sprash9802 wrote:
BRUNiNHO91 wrote:Kemba needs to find his game. That's #1.

Looks like we are just hoping against hope at this point. The fact that we are here, with no more extra draft picks, says a lot about what Ainge has and hasn't done with this roster.

I mean I'm cool with where we are. Marcus is solid, Jaylen and Jayson are like top 20 if not better.. Pritchard looks like a stud. We see a lot of flashes from Grant and Rob..both guys should at least be solid role players. Nesmith and Romeo are two guys that could break it all open for us if they have some Tyler Herro type mid season break out.. or they could bust hard. Remains to be seen. Not all is lost and much of our future players are still in development, all of our future draft picks still available also. Jaylen and Jayson just got so good so fast we feel rushed to get them immediate help. Kemba turning into a smaller Jeff Teague also doesn't help ease the frustration.
A new dawn will rise in Boston. ‎#StayLoyal THANK YOU TRUTH!
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 93,628

Post#187 » by zoyathedestroya » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:55 pm

I'd feel less frustrated with the current state of the team if I knew for certain that both Jays are here for the long haul. We don't. Four years can go by so fast (shorter for Jaylen). So there's a sense of urgency to build a contender-worthy supporting cast now. Or if not this season, in the offseason at the latest. Adding to that frustration is whatever the hell is going on with Kemba. I don't think we know the whole story about his health status. It's not like the Celtics brass have been upfront with these things before.
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,699

Post#188 » by Homerclease » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:09 pm

Convince Kemba to retire
GoGreen
Analyst
And1: 3,486

Post#189 » by GoGreen » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:58 pm

Danny put together a trash roster.

Really not sure how to fix this, but the Cs need depth. If we can somehow grab a couple solid roleplayers and nab a semi-big name with the tpe, hey, great, but who knows if all that can be pulled off.

But Kemba hitting shots is a must. I have to believe he will. He cannot be this bad!
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 19,257

Post#190 » by playa-hater » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:07 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:Kemba right now is killing this team. Our lack of good players is killing this team. How do we fix this? Pretending its not a problem doesnt seem to be working.

THIS ^, so much this.

But allow me to play Devil's advocate.

The counter arguments are along the lines of "we haven't been healthy yet" or "we need some more polish"

My thoughts are, Yes, full health improves us. More polish improves us. But neither goes as far as to say we will improve enough to be REAL contenders. our rare, but sometimes shine was FOOL's gold IMO. The glare of "fool's gold can sometimes blind us to our symptoms and/or weaknesses. (like finishing games in the 4th)

As you described perfectly with "Kemba is killing us" and even more so the "lack of good players" are killing us. Hence my reason to start a topic of "Fix the Celtics thread"

I should remind everyone again, we were 2 games away from sniffing the championship RD, yet our weakness then stopped us. Did we actually improve since then as a whole? remain the same? or perhaps slid a it?

All fair questions IMO.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
Celtics_85
Starter
And1: 59

Post#191 » by Celtics_85 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:44 pm

A clear path for this team has changed numerous times since the KG-Pierce trade. Now that Gordan is gone we have another path that has just begun. Lets see where we go, as this is the J's team now, and Ainge will get the right players around them.
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#192 » by playa-hater » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:15 pm

Celtics_85 wrote:A clear path for this team has changed numerous times since the KG-Pierce trade. Now that Gordan is gone we have another path that has just begun. Lets see where we go, as this is the J's team now, and Ainge will get the right players around them.

No matter whose team it is it is imperative for Ainge to get more talent with players that fits together. And then the coach has to make it work.
Celtics_History_Lesson
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,267

Post#193 » by Celtics_History_Lesson » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:19 am

GoGreen wrote:Danny put together a trash roster.

Celtics' front office for the past six years:

Expecting people who caused the mess to fix the mess is not a good idea.

The front office, the coaches, most of the players, all need to go.

The big problem, most of the team is worthless.

You can't find one team that wants a broken Kemba.

It is going to be two or three more years or horror. Unless someone more stupid than a Colangelo or King, or Divac, appears as another team's GM.

If you add up the field goal percentage of Kemba, Smart and Teague, you get around the number of R Williams' FG%.

Then add empty stats Jaylen. At least Joe Johnson used to pass when he was all empty stats. Even Ricky Davis, he passed too. No bench. No power forwards. Smart thinking he runs the team and the offense. A team about to give some German player $80million, or lose him as a free agent. Drafting busts in consecutive lotteries. T Thompson, what a waste of money and minutes.

The only reason the Celtics are not laughed at for being such a terrible mess is that most other teams are worse.

The most low-IQ Celtics team and front office of all time.

Terrible roster. 11 players are guards. 4 are centers. Two are tweener forwards.

The Celtics have willingly turned themselves into the Charlotte Bobcats.

The only fix is new people tearing it down, starting again with Tatum, R Williams, Tacko and Pritchard.

Even those last three can be traded.

You start Tatum at shooting guard, fill in the spots around him.

If only a team had offered the Celtics Myles Turner. Would have been perfect.

Celtics fans can only hope another team panics more, maybe Miami or New York, and does something silly and helps the Celtics remove the really bad fits on their roster.
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#194 » by captain green » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:53 am

Smart pp Brown Tatum thies timelord everything else sucks so far we are about three players away.
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
SLCceltic
Analyst
And1: 1,833

Post#195 » by SLCceltic » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:04 am

can anybody help me to comprehend why we are so awful on defensive glass ??? I just don't understand how we fail here every single game !
Jays and smart rebound well for wings, we added TT to what we had last year and last year we did not have this problem ! I am so perplexed by this phenomenon

we currently sit at #26 for DRavg ! WTH ???
ROYALGREEN
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#196 » by playa-hater » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:22 am

SLCceltic wrote:can anybody help me to comprehend why we are so awful on defensive glass ??? I just don't understand how we fail here every single game !
Jays and smart rebound well for wings, we added TT to what we had last year and last year we did not have this problem ! I am so perplexed by this phenomenon

as a whole, aren't we amongst the smallest teams in the NBA? 3 centers at or around 6'8 for starters. Throw in our multiple small guard lineups and a 6'6 PF/center.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 26,165

Post#197 » by Fencer reregistered » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:35 am

playa-hater wrote:
SLCceltic wrote:can anybody help me to comprehend why we are so awful on defensive glass ??? I just don't understand how we fail here every single game !

as a whole, aren't we amongst the smallest teams in the NBA? 3 centers at or around 6'8 for starters. Throw in our multiple small guard lineups and a 6'6 PF/center.

According to ESPN stats, we have one of the lowest figures per game for defensive rebounds AND we have a below average number of offensive rebounds given up. Implication: There are fewer rebounds total off of Celtics shots than for most other teams. We also make fewer TOs than the average team. FTA are also below average. Our FG% is only mildly above average.

Do we just have fewer possessions per game than most teams??
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#198 » by playa-hater » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:40 am

Fencer reregistered wrote:
playa-hater wrote:

According to ESPN stats, we have one of the lowest figures per game for defensive rebounds AND we have a below average number of offensive rebounds given up. Implication: There are fewer rebounds total off of Celtics shots than for most other teams. We also make fewer TOs than the average team. FTA are also below average. Our FG% is only mildly above average.

Do we just have fewer possessions per game than most teams??

Not sure TBH, but I still believe we are near if not the smallest team overall. And that certainly can make rebounding harder.
Jammer
General Manager
And1: 2,900

Post#199 » by Jammer » Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:06 am

The offense went to sh*t the day Kemba re-joined the lineup as a starter.

Contruction wise, Stevens doesn't even play players based on their skills, which is part of the problem. Looking strictly at skills, the Celtics are contructed as follows:

PG
Marcus Smart
Payton Pritchard
Jeff Teague
Tremont Waters

SG
Jaylen Brown
Carsen Edwards
Javonte Green
Kemba Walker (based on how he is playing but he is paid to be the team's closer)

SF
Jayson Tatum
Romeo Langford
Aaron Nesmith

PF
Tristan Thompson
Grant Williams
Semi Ojeleye

C
Robert Williams III
Daniel Theis
Tacko Fall

The Celtics could use a starter quality stretch PF to balance the offense. They don't have an all-around player that can score and rebound with Tatum covering the SF spot. If Langford or Nesmith could step in at SF, then Tatum could move to stretch PF, but I'd rather the Celtics get a true stretch PF and leave Tatum at SF. Injuries are part of the problem because without Smart and recently Pritchard as well, the two best Point Guards on the team have not been available.

And since Brown is often used as an SF they could use either an SF or SG that can contribute. The players to move are Kemba Walker and Tristan Thompson. They should be used to better balance the roster.
TheMartian
General Manager
And1: 6,444

Post#200 » by TheMartian » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:42 am

For a team that was tops defensively last season, what the hell happened?

Return to Boston Celtics