ImageImageImage

2020 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: bisme37, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10

ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,239

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1861 » by ConstableGeneva » Thu Oct 1, 2020 2:37 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
100proof
Starter
And1: 1,117

Post#1862 » by 100proof » Thu Oct 1, 2020 2:43 pm

ConstableGeneva wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

You always take the best player available. Worry about fit later.
celtics543
Analyst
And1: 3,085

Post#1863 » by celtics543 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 2:49 pm

I heard a rumor on the radio yesterday that Lamelo Ball was spotted in Boston and rumored to be working out for the Celtics. I assume this was false?
jonige94
Pro Prospect
And1: 636

Post#1864 » by jonige94 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 2:51 pm

Cant wait to take the next Yabusele or Ante Zizic
ConstableGeneva
RealGM

Post#1865 » by ConstableGeneva » Thu Oct 1, 2020 2:57 pm

Read on Twitter
ConstableGeneva
RealGM

Post#1866 » by ConstableGeneva » Thu Oct 1, 2020 2:59 pm

celtics543 wrote:I heard a rumor on the radio yesterday that Lamelo Ball was spotted in Boston and rumored to be working out for the Celtics. I assume this was false?

It was JackieMac just passing on someone else's report (some guy from Lawrence Eagle Tribune) that Ball was spotted in Boston. So we really don't know how credible that report is or if he was indeed in Boston, what he was doing there.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#1867 » by SmartWentCrazy » Thu Oct 1, 2020 2:59 pm

100proof wrote:
ConstableGeneva wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

If you grade multiple players on the same tier, pick for fit. Putting players in their best position to develop is very underrated.
100proof
Starter
And1: 1,117

Post#1868 » by 100proof » Thu Oct 1, 2020 3:04 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
100proof wrote:
ConstableGeneva wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

If you grade multiple players on the same tier, pick for fit. Putting players in their best position to develop is very underrated.

Sure,

If you value player a and player b as equal players then sure, draft for fit.

Usually doesnt work out that way though.
TheMartian
General Manager
And1: 6,444

Post#1869 » by TheMartian » Thu Oct 1, 2020 3:34 pm

100proof wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
100proof wrote:

Sure,

I remember reading somewhere that the players within our range are a pick'em. If so, this may be the draft where Danny needs to pick for fit unless he decides to trade up for a player that he really wants.
JHTruth
RealGM
And1: 2,511

Post#1870 » by JHTruth » Thu Oct 1, 2020 4:02 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
100proof wrote:
ConstableGeneva wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

I think "best player available" has become such a meaningless cliche. Most drafts players 8-20 are pretty much interchangeable as far as talent goes. Draft for a position you need. Players need minutes to grow and develop. No one gets better as the three vets ahead of them bury them on the bench because you just had to have that 8th wing on your team...
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#1871 » by SmartWentCrazy » Thu Oct 1, 2020 4:23 pm

100proof wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
100proof wrote:

Sure,

That front office has different ways to rank players. Everyone gets a round grade [i.e. first, second, undrafted] and everyone gets ranked in said tier by a number.

In general, teams dont have 30 1st round grades or 30 second round grades which is why trades happen for returns less than fans would like.

Players are sometimes immaterially different from other players around them which is when you pick for fit.
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#1872 » by captain green » Thu Oct 1, 2020 4:42 pm

themoneyteam2 wrote:
captain green wrote:I have a feeling 14 isn't where we will be picking, looking at 8 through the 11th now. Heard some noise.

Who do you think they would trade up for?

I heard three names halliburton bane and yurtseven.
I don't even know who yurtseven is and bane can be had later so it has to be halliburton.
Now it goes without saying my dude has been wrong before he claims herro was are target last year. And I immediately was against him thinking he was a bust. I was wrong about that. Also must be said he is not in the basketball parts of operations as he is involved with entertainment side of stuff. Also must be said he doesn't lie but in drafts things change and to me he usually makes sense so it has me believing we are moving up.
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
JHTruth
RealGM

Post#1873 » by JHTruth » Thu Oct 1, 2020 4:51 pm

captain green wrote:
themoneyteam2 wrote:
captain green wrote:I have a feeling 14 isn't where we will be picking, looking at 8 through the 11th now. Heard some noise.

Who do you think they would trade up for?

I heard three names halliburton bane and yurtseven.
I don't even know who yurtseven is and bane can be had later so it has to be halliburton.
Now it goes without saying my dude has been wrong before he claims herro was are target last year. And I immediately was against him thinking he was a bust. I was wrong about that. Also must be said he is not in the basketball parts of operations as he is involved with entertainment side of stuff. Also must be said he doesn't lie but in drafts things change and to me he usually makes sense so it has me believing we are moving up.

I believe its Haliburton. There are others in this thread that corroborate that the Celtics LOVE Haliburton and are moving up. Bane is a late first rounder. Yurtseven is a second round C.
jonige94
Pro Prospect
And1: 636

Post#1874 » by jonige94 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 5:28 pm

Not sold at all on Haliburton, terrible shooting form, cant create his own shot, barely goes to the free throw line and is pretty skinny.

He just screams Michael Carter Williams to me.
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#1875 » by Gomes3PC » Thu Oct 1, 2020 5:35 pm

Hali is not remotely like MCW. He doesn't dominate the ball, has a good FT% and really good touch at the rim (60% on 2s). He's a fundamentally better shooter. Besides, MCW with a jumper would be a perfectly fine NBA player...
ddb
RealGM
And1: 11,713

Post#1876 » by ddb » Thu Oct 1, 2020 5:37 pm

last time I was this down on a draft class was 2013. Hopefully, if Danny stays in draft he finds the Giannis gem. Because there are no clear cut studs in this draft.
JHTruth
RealGM

Post#1877 » by JHTruth » Thu Oct 1, 2020 5:58 pm

Gomes3PC wrote:Hali is not remotely like MCW. He doesn't dominate the ball, has a good FT% and really good touch at the rim (60% on 2s). He's a fundamentally better shooter. Besides, MCW with a jumper would be a perfectly fine NBA player...

Never understood the MCW comp at all. Hali is one of the best shooters in college basketball. His form is maybe a little janky, and he's tweaking it a little but the guy can stroke it. Terrific passer and floor general. Only weakness I see so far is he needs to put on weight to absorb contact a lot better but so did Tatum. NBA conditioning programs will take care of that no problem. Could use a little more wiggle off the dribble but in our system we're not asking him to create a bunch in iso. Great fit imho..
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#1878 » by Bleeding Green » Thu Oct 1, 2020 6:01 pm

MCW with a jumper is probably at top-20 player in the NBA.

Haliburton is probably gonna be nasty. Only concern is that he prob doesn't have elite speed, athleticism, first step, no real shot off the dribble because his jumper is more like a set shot. On catch-and-shoot off ball I would think he'd be great shooting, but if you can't get a jumper off as a lead guard that's kind of scary. You just can't be a lead NBA guard if you can't get your shot off the dribble. But the size, length, defensive potential, passing ability, catch-and-shoot ability, everything else is like 99th percentile tier of what you want in a lead guard. His floor is super high. I wouldn't trade up to get him even though maybe he could be the best player in the draft in three years.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
JHTruth
RealGM

Post#1879 » by JHTruth » Thu Oct 1, 2020 6:14 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:MCW with a jumper is probably at top-20 player in the NBA.

Haliburton is probably gonna be nasty. Only concern is that he prob doesn't have elite speed, athleticism, first step, no real shot off the dribble because his jumper is more like a set shot. On catch-and-shoot off ball I would think he'd be great shooting, but if you can't get a jumper off as a lead guard that's kind of scary. You just can't be a lead NBA guard if you can't get your shot off the dribble. But the size, length, defensive potential, passing ability, catch-and-shoot ability, everything else is like 99th percentile tier of what you want in a lead guard. His floor is super high. I wouldn't trade up to get him even though maybe he could be the best player in the draft in three years.

I guess I'm a little hesitant to say he's not going to be able to get a shot off off the dribble is because he's soooo long. 6'5" with a 6'7.g" wingspan, he's shooting over most guards. The reason guys like Kemba need all the wiggle and moves is because they're so small and need to create separation. There's no reason he can't achieve an SGA level of iso creation and be very effective. He doesn't need to be Kyrie out there..
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#1880 » by Bleeding Green » Thu Oct 1, 2020 6:42 pm

His shot is kind of wack. No way he can take that shot off the dribble in the NBA. It starts at his waist. If he develops a lethal stepback, that's fine, but I haven't seen it. He does have a lot of range on the three, though, so if he can reliably hit from 30 feet that will help a lot. In transtion, no question he's gonna be elite, Ben Simmons-like. But in the half court if he can't create his own jumper? Still going to have a valuable skillset regardless, but it definitely hampers the upside of his being a #1 lead guard on offense. SGA has a much higher release on his shot, although it has a bit of a hitch. But I guess with the Celtics, do they need a lead #1 guard?

He looks a lot like Lonzo Ball to me, which, Lonzo could still end up being great but it's all dependent on the shot. He would easily be the best passer the Celtics have had since Rondo, maybe even better.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.

Return to Boston Celtics