ImageImageImage

2020 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

JHTruth
RealGM
And1: 2,511

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1881 » by JHTruth » Thu Oct 1, 2020 6:54 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:His shot is kind of wack. No way he can take that shot off the dribble in the NBA. It starts at his waist. If he develops a lethal stepback, that's fine, but I haven't seen it. He does have a lot of range on the three, though, so if he can reliably hit from 30 feet that will help a lot. In transtion, no question he's gonna be elite, Ben Simmons-like. But in the half court if he can't create his own jumper? Still going to have a valuable skillset regardless, but it definitely hampers the upside of his being a #1 lead guard on offense. SGA has a much higher release on his shot, although it has a bit of a hitch.

He has a killer floater game. I guess if you're expecting him to be James Harden shooting stepbacks I guess you will be disappointed but doubt he will be asked to do that much. And he is working on changing his release point a bit..

[url][/url]
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 19,411

Post#1882 » by playa-hater » Thu Oct 1, 2020 7:02 pm

I like Ty Hali alot. would be a really nice fit. BUT in no way do I want to give up even 2 firsts for him..

for example, trade up and get Hali or stay at 14 and 26 and get let's say, Seddiq Bey and Ty Terry or Kira Lewis/Bane .. any combination of 2 players> Hali..
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#1883 » by Bleeding Green » Thu Oct 1, 2020 7:07 pm

True, I wouldn't expect any need for that on a Celtics team with Tatum, Walker, Brown, Hayward. He looks like one of those basketball savants that I think he's going to be successful regardless of anything regarding his jumper. He's a low-usage guard even in college, which isn't a great sign. 20.1 usage rate in college is not lead-guard territory. Cole Anthony by comparison is a 30% usage guard. Anthony has a lot lower floor and could be an absolute bust, but he has a clear elite off the dribble game and can beat his defender, has a great handle. If you have to trade up multiple picks to get Haliburton and you can just take Cole Anthony at 14, I'd rather just role the dice on Anthony (if they even need to specifically draft a lead guard kind of player).
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
CelticsPride18
General Manager
And1: 11,212

Post#1884 » by CelticsPride18 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 7:10 pm

Hali could be a good fit for our wings.
snowman
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 2,598

Post#1885 » by snowman » Thu Oct 1, 2020 7:14 pm

playa-hater wrote:I like Ty Hali alot. would be a really nice fit. BUT in no way do I want to give up even 2 firsts for him..

for example, trade up and get Hali or stay at 14 and 26 and get let's say, Seddiq Bey and Ty Terry or Kira Lewis/Bane .. any combination of 2 players> Hali..

100 +1's here. Grab Daniel Oturu with the 30th. Use the 47th to trade Poirier. a draft that nets us Saddiq Bey, Kira Lewis,Daniel Oturu, and moves Poirier is money for us. Then just release Green, don't offer Wannamaker another deal, and don't pick up Semi's option, none of which cost us anything, and we have room for a vet at what ever position we can find.
JHTruth
RealGM

Post#1886 » by JHTruth » Thu Oct 1, 2020 7:14 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:True, I wouldn't expect any need for that on a Celtics team with Tatum, Walker, Brown, Hayward. He looks like one of those basketball savants that I think he's going to be successful regardless of anything regarding his jumper. He's a low-usage guard even in college, which isn't a great sign. 20.1 usage rate in college is not lead-guard territory. Cole Anthony by comparison is a 30% usage guard. He has a lot lower floor and could be an absolute bust, but he has a clear elite off the dribble game and can beat his defender, has a great handle. If you have to trade up multiple picks to get Haliburton and you can just take Cole Anthony at 14, I'd rather just role the dice on Anthony (if they even need to specifically draft a lead guard kind of player).

Could be a bit more aggressive. That's mostly due to the contact thing. (He discusses all these issues in the video).

But realistically we're talking about a third option long-term behind Tatum and Brown. He's probably not going to be calling his number as much as say Luka or Harden..
JHTruth
RealGM

Post#1887 » by JHTruth » Thu Oct 1, 2020 7:18 pm

snowman wrote:
playa-hater wrote:I like Ty Hali alot. would be a really nice fit. BUT in no way do I want to give up even 2 firsts for him..

100 +1's here. Grab Daniel Oturu with the 30th. Use the 47th to trade Poirier. a draft that nets us Saddiq Bey, Kira Lewis,Daniel Oturu, and moves Poirier is money for us. Then just release Green, don't offer Wannamaker another deal, and don't pick up Semi's option, none of which cost us anything, and we have room for a vet at what ever position we can find.

Kira Lewis is not going to be at 26. Neither will Terry. Those guys are probably going in the teens. Bey might not even be there at 14
CelticsPride18
General Manager

Post#1888 » by CelticsPride18 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 7:18 pm

If Hali falls to 10. 14/26/47 For 14/Poirier. Offload a bad contract and move up 4 spots for a player that could be a good fit for the Jays. Then we could draft Reed at 30.

A lineup of Hali/Langford/Brown/Tatum/RWill would be so good defensively.
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#1889 » by playa-hater » Thu Oct 1, 2020 7:20 pm

snowman wrote:

me and you > Danny Ainge!!
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#1890 » by playa-hater » Thu Oct 1, 2020 7:24 pm

JHTruth wrote:
snowman wrote:

Kira Lewis is not going to be at 26. Neither will Terry. Those guys are probably going in the teens. Bey might not even be there at 14

you may be right, but there are so many combinations of 14 + 26 I like more than 1 Hali is my point..
JHTruth
RealGM

Post#1891 » by JHTruth » Thu Oct 1, 2020 7:25 pm

playa-hater wrote:
JHTruth wrote:
snowman wrote:

you may be right, but there are so many combinations of 14 + 26 I like more than 1 Hali is my point..

Yeah we'll have to disagree. I'd rather have Hali/Bane than say Kira + Oturo. Shrug
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1892 » by Bleeding Green » Thu Oct 1, 2020 7:27 pm

Does sending Poirier really get them to a level where they can offer anyone anymore money? They're still over the luxury tax so they have the same MLE to offer regardless of Poirier (I think).
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,457

Post#1893 » by djFan71 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 7:50 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:Does sending Poirier really get them to a level where they can offer anyone anymore money? They're still over the luxury tax so they have the same MLE to offer regardless of Poirier (I think).

Depends on where the line ends up, and other moves. Smitty said they may still increase the lux line to $139M but keep cap flat. That makes it a lot easier to duck under than if it stays flat at $132M.

Danny said they expect to pay tax. But, you could still make moves to be under just to get you the ability to use the full non-tax MLE. Then use it and be right over again (but below the apron) and pay tax.

If that's not the goal, then either just keep Poirier or waive him if you want the roster spot rather than using an asset to dump him.
CelticsPride18
General Manager

Post#1894 » by CelticsPride18 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 7:52 pm

djFan71 wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:Does sending Poirier really get them to a level where they can offer anyone anymore money? They're still over the luxury tax so they have the same MLE to offer regardless of Poirier (I think).

Depends on where the line ends up, and other moves. Smitty said they may still increase the lux line to $139M but keep cap flat. That makes it a lot easier to duck under than if it stays flat at $132M.

Danny said they expect to pay tax. But, you could still make moves to be under just to get you the ability to use the full non-tax MLE. Then use it and be right over again (but below the apron) and pay tax.

If that's not the goal, then either just keep Poirier or waive him if you want the roster spot rather than using an asset to dump him.

I believe if we cut or trade Kanter/Semi/Green/Poirier we get to 130 M in salaries. Can we use the Non-MLE then sign our draft picks ?
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1895 » by Bleeding Green » Thu Oct 1, 2020 8:05 pm

djFan71 wrote:

I'm down for getting rid of Poirier if that's the case AND that the player you can sign for 9.7 million is obviously better than the one you sign at 6 million. I don't know if that's the case. Last year that was the difference between Kanter and Taj Gibson so who cares? They could have gotten Nerlens Noel for way less either way. Anyone you can get with the tax-MLE is going to be as good as the non-tax MLE I think. I don't even think they used the MLE last year, but the room exception on Kanter.
CelticsPride18
General Manager

Post#1896 » by CelticsPride18 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 8:06 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:
djFan71 wrote:

I'm down for getting rid of Poirier if that's the case AND that the player you can sign for 9.7 million is obviously better than the one you sign at 6 million. I don't know if that's the case. Last year that was the difference between Kanter and Taj Gibson so who cares? They could have gotten Nerlens Noel for way less either way. Anyone you can get with the tax-MLE is going to be as good as the non-tax MLE I think. I don't even think they used the MLE last year, but the room exception on Kanter.

Hopefully Ibaka
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1897 » by Bleeding Green » Thu Oct 1, 2020 8:08 pm

Ibaka is not signing an MLE deal, and if he does, he's just going to stay in Toronto regardless. Horford got 109 million as an older, but similar player last year. I keep seeing people talk about Ibaka as if he's just some scrub who you can get for 8 million on this board.
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#1898 » by captain green » Thu Oct 1, 2020 8:08 pm

For the record, I think moving up for Hali is costly and I'd be looking at others to get instead.
But if ainge is convinced about a guy he likes then by all means do it. I'd draft precious all the way up to 10 but he is my guy and I don't run the Celtics ( if I did though we'd be champions lol)
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
snowman
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 2,598

Post#1899 » by snowman » Thu Oct 1, 2020 8:12 pm

If Hayward picks up his option, we're paying tax, simple as that. Even if we trade Hayward, the salary we take back for which ever player or players will put us in the tax. Danny and Wyc already know this.

I want Poirier and for that matter Wannamaker, Semi and Green gone, so we will have roster space for the draft picks and maybe 1 vet. If we can replace those 4 with Bey or Nesmith @14, Lewis, Terry, Mannion or Jones at 26 and Oturu or Stewart at 30, along with the expected growth of Timelord, G. Will and Langford, we will be a MUCH better team with Brad having more options, along with plenty of NBA talent on rookie deals for many years. Not like what our bench was this past season.

I realize Bey and Nesmith may be gone by 14, but that means someone will have dropped. My point is we need shooting off the bench at 14.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,457

Post#1900 » by djFan71 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 8:14 pm

CelticsPride18 wrote:
djFan71 wrote:

I believe if we cut or trade Kanter/Semi/Green/Poirier we get to 130 M in salaries. Can we use the Non-MLE then sign our draft picks ?

With all 3 draft picks, lose Kanter and also Poirier, you're at $138.9M when you factor in Yabu, Jackson and Green has $100k guarantee. That's only 13 players. I'm not sure if you have a cap hold for the 14th or not. I know you eventually need to get to 14, but if you only do cap holds thru 13, you're all set. Or, if you could sign the MLE as that 14th and you're $.1M under before the signing is that legit? I dunno. If not you need to make one more move first. Probably with Langford since there isn't enough salary savings on Williamses or Edwards to be had since you have to fill their spot anyways.

Or resigning Hayward to a deal with a slightly lower starting contract, say $30M instead of $34.1 makes it simple, but obviously you now have issue when Tatum's max kicks in due to Hayward's future years.

Return to Boston Celtics