ImageImageImage

2020 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,287

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1921 » by themoneyteam2 » Fri Oct 2, 2020 1:39 am

Trading up makes a lot of sense since they likely won't be able to roster 3 rookies anyways. Better believe if they trade up it's a guy they've done their homework on and love. I personally am not a big fan of Haliburton but if that's their guy I'll trust them lol
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,251

Post#1922 » by Dogen » Fri Oct 2, 2020 2:48 am

I can understand that there is going to be some flattening of the curve, talent-wise, in the late lottery and mid-first round, but this team has good talent and depth already, what the Celtics need imo is some quality, complimentary young talent, and some veteran size.

If Danny and co really like Haliburton that much maybe there is something there (his shot sure looks funny but he's got size and skills). Haliburton could be a great compliment to the Jays by being and distributor and third option for our young core.

As much as multiple draft picks are desired, the team just doesn't need more that two rookies next year. Here's my take, includes drafts plus trades and I don't have a good bead on the contracts/cap but it is what it is:

Move up to get Haliburton by offering 14, 30, and 47 + Poirier contract. Not sure where Haliburton will get drafted, but he won't last to 14, so if he's really Danny's guy, let's not have another Herro situation this year. We lose the 47, but it get Vince off the payroll.

With the 26, take bpa, if the Celtics really like Bane for instance, then you got your young shooter/defensive "junkyard dog".

This draft scenario, though, is predicated on (big reveal) moving Gordon Hayward for Steven Adams. Maybe OKC is ready to retool around SGA? What would have to be included to make that deal happen. Maybe it's a pipe dream. I'd prefer to just sign Ibaka, but that is an even bigger pipe dream. Hayward would need to agree on the deal I believe, opt-in on the last year and then get moved.

In any case, the team needs some honest vet big help. Getting by Philadelphia and Toronto was nice, but having to go up against Embiid, Giannis, Adebayo, only to get to the prize of Davis, Howard, McGee and James is going to eventually wear out our 6'8 Theis and Timelords. Kanter has shown to be strictly situational and too much of a defensive liabiilty. Green and Wanamaker, it's been fun.

And there ya go, the 2021 Boston Celtics:

Steven Adams
Jason Tatum
Jaylen Brown
Marcus Smart
Kemba Walker

Theis
R Williams
G Williams
Haliburton
Langford

Tacko
Ojeleye
Bane
Edwards
Waters
Throw it in the corner... Brown fakes, fires up a three... BANG!!! BANG!!! :D
snowman
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 2,598

Post#1923 » by snowman » Fri Oct 2, 2020 3:17 am

Bleeding Green wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:Semi and Green are definitely gone, but that's because they are UFA and you don't retain players like that beyond their cheap contracts if you have cheap players to replace them with. Wanamaker probably gone too for similar reason, though he's definitely better than the guys looking to replace his minutes (Edwards, Waters) so who knows. Poirier has a guaranteed deal and getting rid of him either doesn't reduce payroll or it requires sending a pick for another to take him (probably). But maybe they could waive him and another team takes on his salary? I don't even think he's that bad, you can do a lot worse than have a 26 year old big as the last guy on the roster making 2.5 million.

Semi is has a team option at the minimum; if declined, hes a RFA. Guessing we pick it up cuz its cheap.

It's cheap but he's really bad and they can replace his minutes with other cheap players who they will have longer contractual control over.

Semi needs to go, along with Green, Poirier, and Wannamaker, and yes we can replace them with our picks. If we stay at 14, 26 and 30, I would love to be able to get:

14) Saddiq Bey for our 6'8 SF bench shooter/3&D guy to come in for Tatum. (takes Semi's roster spot) definite upgrade.

26) Tre Jones for our 3rd string (behind Kemba and Smart) PG, and possible Kemba replacement when Kemba is gone. (takes Green's roster spot) Waters may be a decent 3rd or 4th point off the bench, but he has no chance of starting at 5'10 in our switching defense. Jones is from Duke, and being a Tar Heel fan, I know those Duke guards can play defense and shoot.

30) Danile Oturu for our 3rd team C/PF with 3 point range and rim protection. 6'10,240 to also push R. Williams. (takes Poirier's roster spot). I would much rather have him at the end of the bench under our control for 4 years and a lot less then the 2.5 mil Poirier is making.

47) Best shooter or big available, or use to move Poirier.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 55,116

Post#1924 » by Parliament10 » Fri Oct 2, 2020 3:48 am

"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
31to6
RealGM
And1: 28,556

Post#1925 » by 31to6 » Fri Oct 2, 2020 4:48 am

Okay I see the enthusiasm for Paul Reed and Desmond Bane. Meaning we’ve officially reached “I like anyone after 10 minutes of highlights” territory. Save me, Danny!
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
AgentGreen
Head Coach
And1: 3,469

Post#1926 » by AgentGreen » Fri Oct 2, 2020 12:26 pm

Saddiq Bey is growing on me. If we dont go PF he'd be the ideal wing/undersized PF for our rotation.

Imagine Smart/Langford/Bey/G. Will/ R. Will of the bench... So much ball movement and defense.. If Langford can improve his drive and dish game this rotation could be fun.

Bey would be a typical Brad Stevens pick, and i wouldn't mind that at all.
100proof
Starter
And1: 1,117

Post#1927 » by 100proof » Fri Oct 2, 2020 2:17 pm

I really believe we are walking away from this draft with Haliburton and Bane.

Williams will be starting at center by Mid season, imo, Theis back to bench, and Kanter still off the bench.

Kemba/Haliburton
Smart/Romeo
Brown/Bane
Tatum/GrantW
Timelord/Theis/Kanter

I then believe that Waters gets a contract, and Edwards goes to Gleague. Tacko will get another 2 way contract as he is still a year away from being a 3rd center (He will take Kanters spot next offseason)
CelticsLV
Head Coach
And1: 6,662

Post#1928 » by CelticsLV » Fri Oct 2, 2020 4:22 pm

I don't envy teams with top picks in this draft. Huge trash heap.

I definitely like Haliburton more than any other guard ahead of him. Yeah, that shot is a bit questionable for a lead guard. But at worst he's elite catch and shoot guy because the form imo is very good. The rest of his game is just way too polished to pass up, not to mention his size.

Okongwu is also pretty intruiging. Reminds of Jarren Jackson but lacks that 3 point shot, although he has a shooting form you can work with and extend that range.

Honestly, that's about it when it comes to lotto for me.

Danny, trade up!

At 14 there's Bey i guess. Good size, quickness and 3 point shot. Rest of his game seems really meh though. Not much of a rebounder, nothing special on defense, and his post game won't work in the NBA.

Man, this draft blows. :lol:
ddb
RealGM
And1: 11,721

Post#1929 » by ddb » Fri Oct 2, 2020 4:35 pm

Edwards reminds me a little too much of Waiters. No thanks on Ball because he's a Ball. I think Wiseman is going to be good, but not great. I like Hayes but he's going to take time. Same with Deni. Toppin is another Tobias Harris type. Okongwu is talented, but beware of the copycat league (poor mans Bam). Haliburton has some skills, but is nothing special. Vassell will be a solid role guy. Okoro same thing. Patrick Williams will end up in the D League. Cole Anthony will be one of the better players from the draft IMO. Nesmith I like because he brings an elite skill and good size for his position. Jalen Smith will find a place and have a nice career as a 3rd big. Maledon is going to be good but will take time. Basically, the entire draft is filled with major question marks. nobody stands out as a future superstar.
CelticsPride18
General Manager
And1: 11,212

Post#1930 » by CelticsPride18 » Fri Oct 2, 2020 4:42 pm

CelticsLV wrote:I don't envy teams with top picks in this draft. Huge trash heap.

I definitely like Haliburton more than any other guard ahead of him. Yeah, that shot is a bit questionable for a lead guard. But at worst he's elite catch and shoot guy because the form imo is very good. The rest of his game is just way too polished to pass up, not to mention his size.

Okongwu is also pretty intruiging. Reminds of Jarren Jackson but lacks that 3 point shot, although he has a shooting form you can work with and extend that range.

Danny, trade up!

At 14 there's Bey i guess. Good size, quickness and 3 point shot. Rest of his game seems really meh though. Not much of a rebounder, nothing special on defense, and his post game won't work in the NBA.

I see a lot of SGA in Haliburton.
Kalela
RealGM
And1: 11,948

Post#1931 » by Kalela » Fri Oct 2, 2020 4:52 pm

What is everyone's opinion on Vernon Carey Jr. He is often described as an unathletic below the rim big but I don't think that is a good description of him. He is about 6'10" and a little slow but he is more athletic than he looks and a much better rim protector than the players he is often compared to like Kanter/Monroe. He would be a big improvement on someone like Kanter in terms of rim protection and would be a good pick for the Celtics if he is still available at 26 or 30. In my opinion.
Fire Mazzulla
big-shot-ROB
Sixth Man
And1: 1,640

Post#1932 » by big-shot-ROB » Fri Oct 2, 2020 5:08 pm

Kalela wrote:What is everyone's opinion on Vernon Carey Jr. He is often described as an unathletic below the rim big but I don't think that is a good description of him. He is about 6'10" and a little slow but he is more athletic than he looks and a much better rim protector than the players he is often compared to like Kanter/Monroe. He would be a big improvement on someone like Kanter in terms of rim protection and would be a good pick for the Celtics if he is still available at 26 or 30. In my opinion.

He's worse than Kanter both on offense and defense.
Robert Horry is better than MJ, because everybody knows that 7>6.
100proof
Starter
And1: 1,117

Post#1933 » by 100proof » Fri Oct 2, 2020 5:28 pm

CelticsPride18 wrote:
CelticsLV wrote:I don't envy teams with top picks in this draft. Huge trash heap.

Danny, trade up!

Malcom Brogdon for me
CelticsLV
Head Coach
And1: 6,662

Post#1934 » by CelticsLV » Fri Oct 2, 2020 6:16 pm

ddb wrote:Edwards reminds me a little too much of Waiters. No thanks on Ball because he's a Ball. I think Wiseman is going to be good, but not great. I like Hayes but he's going to take time. Same with Deni. Toppin is another Tobias Harris type. Okongwu is talented, but beware of the copycat league (poor mans Bam). Haliburton has some skills, but is nothing special. Vassell will be a solid role guy. Okoro same thing. Patrick Williams will end up in the D League. Cole Anthony will be one of the better players from the draft IMO. Nesmith I like because he brings an elite skill and good size for his position. Jalen Smith will find a place and have a nice career as a 3rd big. Maledon is going to be good but will take time. Basically, the entire draft is filled with major question marks. nobody stands out as a future superstar.

You can't be serious. Guy is terrible. Low IQ, High usage, inefficient chucker.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#1935 » by Bleeding Green » Fri Oct 2, 2020 6:20 pm

Cole Anthony is a low IQ player? He played on the worst college team with a clogged paint and zero perimeter game. If he's a chucker, that's a coaching issue. So just have good coaches and you can select all the chuckers you want. High usage for a freshman guard strikes me as a good sign. He could still suck, but if you just watch even like 5 minutes of UNC basketball (I could barely do it until recently, such an awful sport college basketball is, and UNC was the worst of the worst), it's clear he has an elite shot that he can get whenever he wants in a number of ways. If he's inefficient, I would chalk a lot of that up to being forced to take shots because either he wants to or that his team is garbage and he has to. Both things can be fixed by being on a good NBA team. He definitely has a great handle and great shot.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
ddb
RealGM
And1: 11,721

Post#1936 » by ddb » Fri Oct 2, 2020 6:21 pm

CelticsLV wrote:
ddb wrote:Edwards reminds me a little too much of Waiters. No thanks on Ball because he's a Ball. I think Wiseman is going to be good, but not great. I like Hayes but he's going to take time. Same with Deni. Toppin is another Tobias Harris type. Okongwu is talented, but beware of the copycat league (poor mans Bam). Haliburton has some skills, but is nothing special. Vassell will be a solid role guy. Okoro same thing. Patrick Williams will end up in the D League. Cole Anthony will be one of the better players from the draft IMO. Nesmith I like because he brings an elite skill and good size for his position. Jalen Smith will find a place and have a nice career as a 3rd big. Maledon is going to be good but will take time. Basically, the entire draft is filled with major question marks. nobody stands out as a future superstar.

You can't be serious. Guy is terrible. Low IQ, High usage, inefficient chucker.

you watch
big-shot-ROB
Sixth Man
And1: 1,640

Post#1937 » by big-shot-ROB » Fri Oct 2, 2020 6:24 pm

Cole Anthony might be a chucker, inefficient or don't have an enough quick first step for the NBA, but he certainly doesn't lack IQ at all.
Robert Horry is better than MJ, because everybody knows that 7>6.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#1938 » by Bleeding Green » Fri Oct 2, 2020 6:29 pm

I'd be amazed if the son of an NBA player who has been around the game since birth would be a low iq player. He's not typically a player I would like but man he really feels like he's fallen down draft boards because he was on such a terrible UNC team that played a style of ball not remotely similar to what he would be doing in the NBA.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
JHTruth
RealGM
And1: 2,511

Post#1939 » by JHTruth » Fri Oct 2, 2020 6:40 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:I'd be amazed if the son of an NBA player who has been around the game since birth would be a low iq player. He's not typically a player I would like but man he really feels like he's fallen down draft boards because he was on such a terrible UNC team that played a style of ball not remotely similar to what he would be doing in the NBA.

I like Anthony but NBA front offices seem really down on him. I mean this guy was a No 1 pick contender at one time. Unless they're all smokescreening and dying to get him in the top 10. :lol: I could see a team like his hometown Knicks trading down to get him without reaching while we grab Hali. This will be a huge trade down draft.
JHTruth
RealGM
And1: 2,511

Post#1940 » by JHTruth » Fri Oct 2, 2020 6:45 pm

CelticsPride18 wrote:

Danny, trade up!

Yeah looks like an SGA/Lonzo Ball hybrid to me.

Return to Boston Celtics