ImageImageImage

WTF? "BS" Simmons Picks the Lakers over the C's?

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Big Baby
Bench Warmer
And1: 656

Post#21 » by Big Baby » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:19 pm

Reverse jinx my ass...BS artist picked the LAKERS to beat the Celtics in the Finals before either team played a single game in the playoffs. I don't give a **** what he believes (if he believes in anything at all). An alleged C's fan picking the Lakers to beat the C's in the Finals is frickin' traitorous in my book and embarrasses us all. But that's okay because Simmons is a has-been LA phony whose best days are behind him. I mean, when your BFF is Ric Bucher, that's pretty pathetic even for a washed up "columnist."
Big Baby Burger
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#22 » by Big Baby Burger » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:40 am

Simmons' Doc-hate has really prevented him from enjoying this season as much as the rest of us (other chronic Doc-haters excluded). He hitched his entire Celtics fandom to the premise that Doc is evil-incarnate and now that it's plain to see that Doc has pretty much been the same guy all along, he can't reconcile that with the awesomeness of the team.

What I mean is: he's a miserable bastard this year and needs to write the 'mea culpa' column about his past transgressions against our coach.
grantlongforpresident
Assistant Coach
And1: 124

Post#23 » by grantlongforpresident » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:35 am

Everyone Chill. Why the hate for Bill Simmons? Sheesh.

I happen to think his rants are hilarious and i do enjoy his boston homerism. He didn't say he is going to root for the lakers, he is making a prediction about an outcome. Should he pick every Boston team every time? Probably not - especially as a journalist.

Everyone relax.
BirdIsDaKing
Bench Warmer
And1: 320

Post#24 » by BirdIsDaKing » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:24 am

you guys are actin wierd about this.

So what if he picks the lakers over the celts, big freaking deal, its just one persons opinion, its not like his opinion is the end all of everything, just move on.

We still won more games than the 72 dolphins.....
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,567

Post#25 » by canman1971 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:36 am

It is threads like this that still have me worried about the society we live in. This is our problem with the our society. Everyone care so much what others think. Who gives a rat's ass? Playoffs baby. That is all that matters right now as far as the Celtics are concerned. No negative energy will enter my space.
Falstaff
Starter
And1: 412

Post#26 » by Falstaff » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:42 pm

BeanTownBrawler wrote:I have a feeling Simmons is actually trying not to jinx the C's... considering the outcome in the superbowl when he wrote the column about the Pats being as good as the 86 Celtics BEFORE the superbowl

Bingo. Obviously.

Simmons knows his picks are cursed. He's doing his part for the team by picking the Lakers.
SLCceltic
Analyst
And1: 1,841

Post#27 » by SLCceltic » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:10 pm

simmons would never pick the fakes for real
ROYALGREEN
tlee324
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,422

Post#28 » by tlee324 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:37 pm

Umm.... this thread is.... what's the word.... ?

Eh. Who cares...

Simmons is entitled to an opinion... he doesn't say he WANTS the Lakers to win, he's saying he thinks they're the better team. It's just an opinion. What's the big deal here? Is he just supposed to be a homer? Is that the uproar?
tlee324
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,422

Post#29 » by tlee324 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:37 pm

Besides, if I'm not mistaken, weren't the Lakers 22-5 with Gasol? It's pretty impressive. They are absolute capable of beating our Celtics if they match up in the Finals. And I want the C's to win BADLY, but I'll give props to the opponent when they deserve it.
wigglestrue
RealGM
And1: 170

Post#30 » by wigglestrue » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:35 pm

Green_for_life wrote:I think he doesn't want to jinx us...remember that Celtics 86 Patriots 08 column???

People...THAT'S THE ONLY ANSWER. Period.
0:01.8 A. Walker makes 3-pt shot from 28 ft (assist by E. Williams) +3 109-108
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_9qvmXiEuU
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#31 » by GuyClinch » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:16 am

I guess Simmons can't lose if your a fan of his eh? He picks the Lakers and oh its for the "Jinx" had he picked the Celtics he would be being a good Boston fan.

If it's because of some lame jinx theory he needs to spell it out. Until then I am taking him at his word - it's probably just a bad prediction from a guy who has been making them for years.

I am not surprised that our own "celtic" fan who wanted PP gone because of the "Ewing theory" would have his back. The Ewing theory is stupid just Simmons.

Pete
Big Baby
Bench Warmer
And1: 656

Post#32 » by Big Baby » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:32 am

Highly annoying is how I'd describe Simmons.

It's like this. You're sitting in a Boston sports bar and there's a guy (BS) who leads everyone to believe that he's a lifelong Celtics fan only to announce to everyone before the Playoffs even begin that he thinks the Lakers will ultimately beat the Celtics in the Finals.

Personally, I wouldn't do anything to the loser, but it sure would feel good to kick him in the nuts and tell his sorry ass to have some pride.
wigglestrue
RealGM

Post#33 » by wigglestrue » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:25 am

GuyClinch wrote:I guess Simmons can't lose if your a fan of his eh? He picks the Lakers and oh its for the "Jinx" had he picked the Celtics he would be being a good Boston fan.

If it's because of some lame jinx theory he needs to spell it out. Until then I am taking him at his word - it's probably just a bad prediction from a guy who has been making them for years.

I am not surprised that our own "celtic" fan who wanted PP gone because of the "Ewing theory" would have his back. The Ewing theory is stupid just Simmons.

Pete

He has referred to how he thinks he jinxed the Pats repeatedly.

And did you just put "Celtic fan" in quotes about me?
I would love to meet you, Pete. I really would.

(Also, you're forgetting that I completely retracted my desire to see Pierce go last year the day after Big Al's coming out game vs. NJ when kingly said Pierce mutinized Doc and told everyone to get Big Al the ball.)

(And really, do you want to get into a pissing match about who's been wrong about more things? Dude, you have been one of the most errant posters in this board's history, you don't have the standing to call out anyone on this board about being wrong.)
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,840

Post#34 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:06 pm

Wow. Lots of sensitive dudes here on this board. Let me know if you guys need me to send some e-hugs your way.

:nonono: :nonono: :nonono:
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,661

Post#35 » by Worm Guts » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:45 pm

Big Baby wrote:Highly annoying is how I'd describe Simmons.

It's like this. You're sitting in a Boston sports bar and there's a guy (BS) who leads everyone to believe that he's a lifelong Celtics fan only to announce to everyone before the Playoffs even begin that he thinks the Lakers will ultimately beat the Celtics in the Finals.

Personally, I wouldn't do anything to the loser, but it sure would feel good to kick him in the nuts and tell his sorry ass to have some pride.

What does being a lifelong Celtics fan have to do with thinking they're not the best team in NBA? I don't understand the correlation.
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager
And1: 180

Post#36 » by MyInsatiableOne » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:24 pm

I haven't listened to Simmons say that, and as a life-long C's fan maybe I'm biased, too, but I think there's a difference between acknowledging your team could lose but you still root for them, and actively rooting for the other team. I don't know which is the case with Simmons here but I'd bet this is what has people so pissed.
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,661

Post#37 » by Worm Guts » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:45 pm

MyInsatiableOne wrote:I haven't listened to Simmons say that, and as a life-long C's fan maybe I'm biased, too, but I think there's a difference between acknowledging your team could lose but you still root for them, and actively rooting for the other team. I don't know which is the case with Simmons here but I'd bet this is what has people so pissed.

Simmons isn't rooting for the Lakers so I don't see what the problem is. He just picked them to win it.
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#38 » by GuyClinch » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:35 pm

Meh. I think BS is a Celtic fan in name only.

People say well can't you root for the Celtics and acknowledge another team is better. Sure. You could if you were talking about the 36 win Celtic team a couple of years ago.

Nowadays the C's have the BEST record in the NBA. They defeated the Lakers both times EASILY. They defeated EVERY big time team in EVERY challenge game (except for Utah at home and they had already beaten them in Utah).

You guys are giving this clown a free ride. What is REALLY going on is that he doesn't want his beloved 80's teams sullied when people start calling this team superior (and you REALLY CAN make that case if we win a championship). He also doesn't want his lifelong anti-doc crusade to go up in smoke as it ruins his "credibility." Finally he has fallen under the spell of Kobe and company..

So no I think that despite the lip service he pays to being a Celtic fan in his heart he is rooting for the Lakers. It's just like those guys who CLAIM to be a democrat but in the booth they vote republican. It's "cool" to hold onto your childhood allegiances. But I think he is a turncoat.

Pete
wigglestrue
RealGM

Post#39 » by wigglestrue » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:44 pm

That's absolute garbage.

Bill Simmons is 1000 times the Celtics fan you are, Pete.
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager
And1: 180

Post#40 » by MyInsatiableOne » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:55 pm

Worm Guts wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Simmons isn't rooting for the Lakers so I don't see what the problem is. He just picked them to win it.

But how can you be a diehard and not think *your* team is gonna win it? It's not like the C's are the 8 seed in the East. And you can totally acknowledge that your opponent is good and is likely to beat you, but you still pull for YOUR team, you know?

It's hard to describe, but that's how it is and I can understand how a lot of people are pissed at him. I'm not myself...I could care less what he thinks. I *do* think he is a huge C's fan but I also think he seems to think he's more knowledgable than anyone else, which is BS, BS! (little joke there)
It's still 17 to 11!!!!

Return to Boston Celtics