ImageImageImage

Sophmores, 2020-21 – Langford, G. Williams, Edwards, Waters, Tacko

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Higgs Boston
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,630

Re: Rookieville – Langford, G. Williams, Edwards, Waters, Tacko 

Post#201 » by Higgs Boston » Mon Dec 9, 2019 11:23 am

jfs1000d wrote:
Higgs Boston wrote:Only Ainge and few others could be so bad to think Thybulle or Clarke weren't better and had much more potential than Grant. It was so obvious that this would happen, Grant is one of the most flawed players selected in that Draft, his player profile is really bad.
Imagine the team we would have if we had a good FO at drafting like warriors, lakers, raptors, miami etc

Is this a joke?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

unfortunately his lack of size, length, athleticism, and skills aren't a joke.
LuckyLeprechaun
Rookie
And1: 1,338

Post#202 » by LuckyLeprechaun » Mon Dec 9, 2019 6:06 pm

Higgs Boston wrote:Only Ainge and few others could be so bad to think Thybulle or Clarke weren't better and had much more potential than Grant. It was so obvious that this would happen, Grant is one of the most flawed players selected in that Draft, his player profile is really bad.
Imagine the team we would have if we had a good FO at drafting like warriors, lakers, raptors, miami etc
Grant Williams went after both Thybulle and Clarke so who knows if Ainge thought they were better? He apparently thought a high 2nd and a future 1st was more valuable, but Grant Williams had nothing to do with it.

This is as bad as the people mad he didn't take Herro in spite of the fact that Herro was gone before we picked.
Higgs Boston
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,630

Post#203 » by Higgs Boston » Mon Dec 9, 2019 6:35 pm

LuckyLeprechaun wrote:
Grant Williams went after both Thybulle and Clarke so who knows if Ainge thought they were better? He apparently thought a high 2nd and a future 1st was more valuable, but Grant Williams had nothing to do with it.

This is as bad as the people mad he didn't take Herro in spite of the fact that Herro was gone before we picked.

Grant had nothing to do with it? Ainge traded the 20 (thybulle, he knew he wouldn't able to select him with the 22 pick) for the 24 and 33. So he did think Grant + Edwards was better than Thybulle.
The fact you compare this and the herro situation shows that you don't understand it.
Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,632

Post#204 » by Gant » Mon Dec 9, 2019 9:51 pm

Read on Twitter
Elrod is Back
Starter
And1: 2,241

Post#205 » by Elrod is Back » Mon Dec 9, 2019 10:56 pm

LuckyLeprechaun wrote:

How about a little patience before we declare Grant Williams a bad draft pick? Give him some time. He is smart as hell and can defend. He is only 6-6 but strong as a moose. In summer and preseason he demonstrated he can shoot and pass, and handle OK.

He may be nothing more than a better Ojeleye in a few years. Or he could be better. Give his intangibles, I'd bet on the latter. Time will tell.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,235

Post#206 » by Darth Celtic » Mon Dec 9, 2019 10:59 pm

Elrod is Back wrote:
LuckyLeprechaun wrote:

How about a little patience before we declare Grant Williams a bad draft pick? Give him some time. He is smart as hell and can defend. He is only 6-6 but strong as a moose. In summer and preseason he demonstrated he can shoot and pass, and handle OK.

He may be nothing more than a better Ojeleye in a few years. Or he could be better. Give his intangibles, I'd bet on the latter. Time will tell.

People missing on grant blocking guys dunk attempts multiple times. He's great at what he does. Will need a year or two to get the offense up.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#207 » by Bleeding Green » Mon Dec 9, 2019 11:17 pm

Elrod is Back wrote:
LuckyLeprechaun wrote:

He's already miles ahead of Ojeleye. If he just hit like 3 or 4 threes by now he'd be on the floor a lot more. Ojeleye can't dribble or pass or do anything offensively. He has a sub-10% usage rate which is hilariously low. And when he shoots it, it almost always would have been better for someone else to shoot it.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
Red2
RealGM
And1: 4,378

Post#208 » by Red2 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:05 pm

I think grant would benefit from dropping from a few lbs. He's not quick enough to stick with wings or guards and last night his man got around him on multiple occasions. I like him but his size is an issue. He's too small against most bigs and he's not quick enough against wings. I know strength is his calling card but long term being a bit quicker would help him. From a personality point of view and chemistry point of view I like all of the kids that danny drafted but I think there were other players available that would have helped us more. And not drafting anyone with size was a mistake in my opinion
"Now, there's a steal by Bird..!"
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,235

Post#209 » by Darth Celtic » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:20 pm

Red2 wrote:I think grant would benefit from dropping from a few lbs. He's not quick enough to stick with wings or guards and last night his man got around him on multiple occasions. I like him but his size is an issue. He's too small against most bigs and he's not quick enough against wings. I know strength is his calling card but long term being a bit quicker would help him. From a personality point of view and chemistry point of view I like all of the kids that danny drafted but I think there were other players available that would have helped us more. And not drafting anyone with size was a mistake in my opinion

You do know that he lost a ton of weight in college, transformed his body, and has some stupid low body fat %, something like measured at 5%. If he lost any more lbs, he would only be losing muscle.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
Red2
RealGM

Post#210 » by Red2 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:52 pm

Darth I get the argument about his strength but he can't stay with quicker players.
24istheLAW
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,921

Post#211 » by 24istheLAW » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:26 pm

Tremont Waters has a nice shooting line in Maine so far at .438/.395/.875. He's gonna have a long career if he can shoot the 3 at that clip in the pros.
Red2
RealGM

Post#212 » by Red2 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:01 pm

7 rookies on our 15 roster and not much to show for it so far . It has to get better right ?
Bluewhale
General Manager
And1: 283

Post#213 » by Bluewhale » Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:56 am

Elrod is Back wrote:How about a little patience before we declare Grant Williams a bad draft pick? Give him some time. He is smart as hell and can defend. He is only 6-6 but strong as a moose. In summer and preseason he demonstrated he can shoot and pass, and handle OK.

Cannot agree anymore.

In addition, Thybulle's 46% 3P% is not likely to sustain given his college stats. Most likely to be 35% in long run, But his defense is really amazing DPOY level.

And Clarke could not defend (his DRPM is negative).

I am not saying Grant Williams is better, but the gap may not be as wide as some believed.
Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

Post#214 » by Ernest » Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:56 am

Red2 wrote:7 rookies on our 15 roster and not much to show for it so far . It has to get better right ?

Well we have won 70% of our games with have the team being rookies. That's pretty good when you think about it. While Grant and Carson haven't put too many points on the board, they have played decent to good D and haven't made many rookie mistakes. That's really something.

Hey Tacko was on the bench last game right? Any chance he gets in a game anytime soon? I'd really like to see him and Waters get in a game every month or so so we can see how they are doing. While not the most NBA ready rookies those 2 seem to be the most exciting to watch and possibly have the highest potential.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 94,453

Post#215 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:18 pm

Read on Twitter
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,457

Post#216 » by djFan71 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:36 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

Boban v Tacko! Need to get that game to Gino time asap!
Spoiler:
I don't care that it's in Dallas - Gino time!
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#217 » by cloverleaf » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:37 pm

Who knew Tacko's big break would be Vincent's little finger?
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#218 » by zoyathedestroya » Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:00 am

Romeo RTd the tweet of his first NBA basket. Hopefully one of thousands. He gets his shot up with such ease.

Read on Twitter
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#219 » by zoyathedestroya » Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:19 am

Grant Williams became the 2nd youngest Celtics reserve since 1975 to score on 80+% of his FG attempts (min 10 FGAs). Youngest was Al Jefferson.

return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,751

Post#220 » by return2glory » Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:50 am

Great game by Grant. He needed it and it was nice to see him play so well. He just needed to make that first NBA 3, since then he has played. Ugh better.

Career high 18 tonight vs Pistons! Also first time in his young NBA career where he made multiple 3s.

See game by Romeo also.

Return to Boston Celtics