ImageImageImage

What is Jaylen Brown's ceiling?

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Froob, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts

AthrunZala
Freshman
And1: 25

Re: What is Jaylen Brown's ceiling? 

Post#221 » by AthrunZala » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:58 am

[quote="playa-hater"]After getting burned badly in the Tatum-Fultz trade, Philly won't even pick up the phone if Ainge calls..[/quote]

They were also burned in the Al Horford signing! :lol:
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 20,370

Post#222 » by playa-hater » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:57 am

Ceiling is the better scoring version Of Pippen.. More explosive potential. better shooter potential. Knows his secondary role potential.. Almost but not quite as good on defense.. Pippen is GOAT level Perimeter defender though.
ROAD TO REPEAT !!!!
ThumbsUpBaby
Head Coach
And1: 11,010

Post#223 » by ThumbsUpBaby » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:11 am

Revisiting this thread... I'd say his ceiling is a 2nd option / top 25 player. I'll estimate that to a poor-man Kawhi level. I'll take that any day.
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,859

Post#224 » by BostonCouchGM » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:54 am

another pretty bad game yet people are praising him? 6-18 from the floor. He's basically useless if he's not hitting the 5-7 WIDE open threes his teammates set him up with per game. How anyone could think someone who averages more turnovers than assists is a top 50 player let alone top 25 is beyond me. He should never be mentioned in the same sentence as Kawhi or Pippen. Stick with Iggy or a very poor man's Klay.
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,469

Post#225 » by Feed Your Head » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:09 pm

I hate that I have to argue against Jaylen, I just can’t agree anyone using Pippen as a comp. Jaylen is a better shooter than Pippen, and that is it. The gap in defense between them is MASSIVE, and that’s more of a compliment to Scottie than a knock on Jaylen.

The poor mans Kawhi is odd as well, Kawhi is a dominant ISO scorer. That’s just not Jaylens game. I like the Klay comparisons, he will never be as dangerous of a shooter, but I think there are a lot of similarities.
Steal by Bird
Ballboy
And1: 20

Post#226 » by Steal by Bird » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:13 pm

I don’t believe how much he is criticized. He will never be the best player on a contender, but he is an important piece. I would compare him to Jimmy Butler. Look at their 4th year stats. Brown is a more efficient shooter, an extra turnover, not as good of vision. Ballpark on defense. Quality person. You should be happy with that.
Feed Your Head
RealGM

Post#227 » by Feed Your Head » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:25 pm

Steal by Bird wrote:I don’t believe how much he is criticized. He will never be the best player on a contender, but he is an important piece. I would compare him to Jimmy Butler. Look at their 4th year stats. Brown is a more efficient shooter, an extra turnover, not as good of vision. Ballpark on defense. Quality person. You should be happy with that.

I think almost everyone is happy with that, there will always be a few posters who will be on the opposite end of the homer spectrum. But otherwise, you can make an argument that he is the most well liked player on this board.

The Butler comparisons are weird to me as well, Butler needs the ball is his hands to be effective. Jaylen is at his best as an off ball threat.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,848

Post#228 » by SmartWentCrazy » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:35 pm

The Comedian wrote:I hate that I have to argue against Jaylen, I just can’t agree anyone using Pippen as a comp. Jaylen is a better shooter than Pippen, and that is it. The gap in defense between them is MASSIVE, and that’s more of a compliment to Scottie than a knock on Jaylen.

The poor mans Kawhi is odd as well, Kawhi is a dominant ISO scorer. That’s just not Jaylens game. I like the Klay comparisons, he will never be as dangerous of a shooter, but I think there are a lot of similarities.

Thats where I’ve ultimately landed on the player— its not a direct 1:1 [Klay is obviously a much better shooter; Jaylen is much better at getting to the line], but the theory behind it makes sense to me — great secondary/tertiary option that is a better defender than the advanced stats indicate and can put up an efficient 20 ppg. He’s an all-star, but not an all-nba player, thats accepted his role and tries to thrive in it.
Feed Your Head
RealGM

Post#229 » by Feed Your Head » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:39 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
The Comedian wrote:I hate that I have to argue against Jaylen, I just can’t agree anyone using Pippen as a comp. Jaylen is a better shooter than Pippen, and that is it. The gap in defense between them is MASSIVE, and that’s more of a compliment to Scottie than a knock on Jaylen.

Thats where I’ve ultimately landed on the player— its not a direct 1:1 [Klay is obviously a much better shooter; Jaylen is much better at getting to the line], but the theory behind it makes sense to me — great secondary/tertiary option that is a better defender than the advanced stats indicate and can put up an efficient 20 ppg. He’s an all-star, but not an all-nba player, thats accepted his role and tries to thrive in it.

This part is the most important i think. He could have easily gotten jealous of all the praise Tatum gets, and brought it onto the floor with him. I’m sure he gets annoyed with it at times, but he uses it as a motivator, and he uses all the defensive attention Tatum draws on the court to his advantage.

There are not many dudes his age who would accept his role in the situation, and I think it makes Danny look real smart for giving him the deal he did.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#230 » by SmartWentCrazy » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:41 pm

The Comedian wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:

This part is the most important i think. He could have easily gotten jealous of all the praise Tatum gets, and brought it onto the floor with him. I’m sure he gets annoyed with it at times, but he uses it as a motivator, and he uses all the defensive attention Tatum draws on the court to his advantage.

There are not many dudes his age who would accept his role in the situation, and I think it makes Danny look real smart for giving him the deal he did.

If I had to guess, Tatum and the team will go hard pumping for JB to make the ASG next year to help in this regard
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,859

Post#231 » by BostonCouchGM » Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:33 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
The Comedian wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:

If I had to guess, Tatum and the team will go hard pumping for JB to make the ASG next year to help in this regard

if he couldn't make the all-star team this season, how is he going to make it when perennial all-stars and much better players: Wall, Oladipo, Kyrie, Griffin and KD all return? Add Love and Drummond to them should the Cavs improve and make the playoffs.

Then there are the guys on the bubble:

Beal-30-4-6
LaVine-25-5-4
Brogdon-17-5-7
Graham-18-3-7.5

and then there's a slew of young players drafted and developing from the past two drafts and this upcoming draft to compete with.
You can't expect Jaylen to be the third all-star off the Celtics to make it over better guys on teams that don't have an all-star. There are still people on here who think Jaylen is better than Jamal Murray, even after what Murray has done in the past couple of playoff runs. It's insane how overrated Jaylen is. Jaylen is arguably not a top 20 player in the Eastern Conference. And there are way more better players in the Western Conference. Which is why he's not a top 50 player. But there are so many people on here who think he's a top 25 or 30 player. I don't get it.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#232 » by SmartWentCrazy » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:04 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
The Comedian wrote:

if he couldn't make the all-star team this season, how is he going to make it when perennial all-stars and much better players: Wall, Oladipo, Kyrie, Griffin and KD all return? Add Love and Drummond to them should the Cavs improve and make the playoffs.

Beal-30-4-6
LaVine-25-5-4
Brogdon-17-5-7
Graham-18-3-7.5

and then there's a slew of young players drafted and developing from the past two drafts and this upcoming draft to compete with.
You can't expect Jaylen to be the third all-star off the Celtics to make it over better guys on teams that don't have an all-star. There are still people on here who think Jaylen is better than Jamal Murray, even after what Murray has done in the past couple of playoff runs. It's insane how overrated Jaylen is. Jaylen is arguably not a top 20 player in the Eastern Conference. And there are way more better players in the Western Conference. Which is why he's not a top 50 player. But there are so many people on here who think he's a top 25 or 30 player. I don't get it.

Lol, good one.

And Jaylen is better than Jamal, a 3 game heater doesn't change that unless you're unable to think critically about basketball and are a complete prisoner of the moment.

Youre trying way to hard to troll.
50yrceltsfan
Junior
And1: 289

Post#233 » by 50yrceltsfan » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:22 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
The Comedian wrote:

Beal-30-4-6
LaVine-25-5-4
Brogdon-17-5-7
Graham-18-3-7.5

I couldn't be happier with Brown. 2 years ago I didn't trust him from 3, I didn't trust him from the line, I didn't trust him in the open court, he wasn't finishing. All he did well was team & man D, and an occasional hot streak from 3.

Now look at him. He's a threat from 3 (and midrange), he's good at the line, he's very good in the open, his interior drives and finishes are phenomenal, and he's even better at all aspects of D. His trajectory is still going up, he's got great character and drive. I don't know or care what number people want to place on his head, just keep him as a Celtic.
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 20,370

Post#234 » by playa-hater » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:47 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:another pretty bad game yet people are praising him? 6-18 from the floor. He's basically useless if he's not hitting the 5-7 WIDE open threes his teammates set him up with per game. How anyone could think someone who averages more turnovers than assists is a top 50 player let alone top 25 is beyond me. He should never be mentioned in the same sentence as Kawhi or Pippen. Stick with Iggy or a very poor man's Klay.

really?? This thread was about his ceiling, not his current play.. 2ndly what was Pippen and Kawhi doing at 23/24 that was so much better..
damn for sure he needs to become a better passer though..
ROAD TO REPEAT !!!!
3D Chess
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,729

Post#235 » by 3D Chess » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:54 pm

playa-hater wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:another pretty bad game yet people are praising him? 6-18 from the floor. He's basically useless if he's not hitting the 5-7 WIDE open threes his teammates set him up with per game. How anyone could think someone who averages more turnovers than assists is a top 50 player let alone top 25 is beyond me. He should never be mentioned in the same sentence as Kawhi or Pippen. Stick with Iggy or a very poor man's Klay.

really?? This thread was about his ceiling, not his current play.. 2ndly what was Pippen and Kawhi doing at 23/24 that was so much better..
damn for sure he needs to become a better passer though..

Uhh, winning FMVP against LeBron?

Jaylen is not, and will never be Kawhi. But that's ok, we have Tatum for that.
LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,311

Post#236 » by LewisnotMiller » Tue Sep 1, 2020 12:24 am

SmartWentCrazy wrote:

Reggie Lewis for me. Totally agree that no comps are ever really even close, but for what it's worth...

1) Player who improved year after year (right up until his unfortunate passing at 28). It wasn't a smooth trajectory, but he went from unplayed rookie, to very good young player complimenting stars, to the clear star on a playoff team by his final season.
2) Like Brown, he was a legit swingman, and played a fair bit at the 2, despite being a long 6'7".
3) Used length, rather than explosiveness, but similarly his size was a factor in his play at the 2.
4) Very good and efficient scorer (although totally skewed to the mid range, but I'm just putting that down to the era)
5) Very good and versatile defender (again, used length rather than strength and explosion), good steal and block numbers too.

He was one of the better 2 way players going around, and was an all-star. Had a quiet confidence in big games, didn't shy away from playoff pressure despite not always seeming to like the spotlight. He really was just coming into his own, post Big-Three.
Drazen Petrovic was all-NBA third team in their final year, and it was a complete shock of an off-season to have both Drazen and Reggie pass away, both at 28, both in the top echelon of shooting guards, both from the same division.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#237 » by Bleeding Green » Tue Sep 1, 2020 5:34 pm

playa-hater wrote:After getting burned badly in the Tatum-Fultz trade, Philly won't even pick up the phone if Ainge calls..

They traded with him last draft, I doubt they feel burned by Ainge enough to avoid a trading partner who is always looking to make a trade.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
GoGreen
Analyst
And1: 3,486

Post#238 » by GoGreen » Tue Sep 1, 2020 5:56 pm

Jaylen is playing hurt. Guy messed up his quad a few games ago and I'm convinced it's holding him back. He hasn't looked the same since
Feed Your Head
RealGM

Post#239 » by Feed Your Head » Tue Sep 1, 2020 6:10 pm

GoGreen wrote:Jaylen is playing hurt. Guy messed up his quad a few games ago and I'm convinced it's holding him back. He hasn't looked the same since

He looked banged up at the end of the Philly series, but I thought he looked completely healthy in game 1. It’s just a combination of some more defensive attention on him with Hayward out, and cooling off from three a bit.

I have a feeling he goes like 5-8 from deep tonight.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 97,391

Post#240 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Sep 1, 2020 6:17 pm

Jaylen is a really good individual defender -- on isos and in the post. Still a below average team defender imo. He struggles against shooters who run through screens. He's unable to fight through picks. He's improving as a weakside help defender but also gets caught ballwatching, either getting burned by a backcut, leaving his guy on the corner/wing, or standing still while his guy gets the offensive board. Those late contests where he jumps real high from the paint area doesn't really do much either. Please don't come at me. But we all want our guys to improve. These are areas where he can still improve.

FWIW, the numbers say we've been better defensively with him off the court (1.05 PPP; 92nd percentile) than on the court (1.079 PPP; 77th percentile) in the regular season. And it has nothing to do with Marcus Smart being on the floor replacing him.

It's crazy to me Paul Pierce even said Jaylen is a top 5 two-way player in the league.

Return to Boston Celtics