ImageImageImage

Celtics vs Blazers Gamethread - Wednesday, January 16th

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Froob, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts

bru87tr
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#221 » by bru87tr » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:21 am

farzi wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Was Dallas the best team in the league last year?

in the reg season, yes.

you win the most games, you are the best team.
farzi
RealGM
And1: 5

Post#222 » by farzi » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:22 am

bru87tr wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

in the reg season, yes.

you win the most games, you are the best team.

You win the championship, you are the best team.
dwestside
Rookie

Post#223 » by dwestside » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:22 am

Was Dallas the best team in the league last year?

Err. Nevermind.
The Rondo Show
Analyst
And1: 327

Post#224 » by The Rondo Show » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:22 am

Great 2nd half. Our outside shooting (and free throw shooting) was still off, but I loved that they played so aggressive and attacked the rim for the last 4-5 minutes of the 2nd quarter and the entire 2nd half.

They had been settling for the jump shot, when almost the entire team is in a shooting slump, during this mini losing streak and the offense suffered due to it.
listerine
Pro Prospect

Post#225 » by listerine » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:24 am

Good game, Boston. We got beat by a better team. You guys clearly had the Blazers intimidated which resulted in some of the sloppiest play we Blazer fans have seen in a month and a half.
MaxwellSmart
General Manager
And1: 2,244

Post#226 » by MaxwellSmart » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:26 am

I think that a lot of you guys might be right about Ray Allen...it might sound crazy,but maybe he should be our 6th man (1st off the bench)---he seems to thrive when he's the focal point of the offense,like his whole career...I just don't think Doc has the guts to actually try it.
hickfromfrenchlick
General Manager
And1: 9,302

Post#227 » by hickfromfrenchlick » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:27 am

RAY!!!!!!!

Good to see you back, Walter Ray.

Boy did we need this.

We didn't make 3's (except for a couple well-timed ones), we didn't make FTs, and we still won. Very nice.

Portland comes at you with waves. And they're so young. They're just missing a little beef inside. With Oden they're going to be very, very good. Roy's fantastic.
jjwalker
Junior

Post#228 » by jjwalker » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:27 am

it's strange but KG and Ray have a certain role but pierce doesn't
farzi
RealGM
And1: 5

Post#229 » by farzi » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:28 am

MaxwellSmart wrote:I think that a lot of you guys might be right about Ray Allen...it might sound crazy,but maybe he should be our 6th man (1st off the bench)---he seems to thrive when he's the focal point of the offense,like his whole career...I just don't think Doc has the guts to actually try it.

That's probably a really good idea, but it'll never happen. Doc isn't a very good coach, and wouldn't want to piss off any of his players.

Before you call me a troll again, remember your opinion of him last year.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,921

Post#230 » by theGreatRC » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:28 am

MaxwellSmart wrote:I think that a lot of you guys might be right about Ray Allen...it might sound crazy,but maybe he should be our 6th man (1st off the bench)---he seems to thrive when he's the focal point of the offense,like his whole career...I just don't think Doc has the guts to actually try it.

Ray is a leader, it sounds like a good idea, but leaders have dignity and being a 6th man could make him implode and wreck his game.
dwestside
Rookie

Post#231 » by dwestside » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:29 am

I dunno. You may have a point, but that doesn't mean that they can't trade off being the focal point of the offense based on matchups.
jjwalker
Junior

Post#232 » by jjwalker » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:30 am

if McHale and Walton can be a 6th Man then Ray Allen can (not gonna happen though)
Jack wore plaid
Sixth Man
And1: 56

Post#233 » by Jack wore plaid » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:31 am

Nice win Celtics.

That was the worst I've seen the Blazers look in about a month. Your defense was the difference tonight. You had our guys a little intimidated as well I think.

Good luck the rest of the way.

Hopefully you guys will still be competitive when Portland is ready to make a championship run in a few years so we can meet on a larger scale. As far as I've seen you guys played us the toughest so far.

Sorry I can't resist.....38-24 FT advantage?????? Eh.
BillessuR6
General Manager
And1: 2,505

Post#234 » by BillessuR6 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:34 am

What is with this whining from blazer fans. :roll:

We played better than in the last few games but we still ways to go.

It was good to see Pruitt get a few minutes, however I was disappointed with the way he walked the ball up the court...Didn`t like that at all.
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,697

Post#235 » by threrf23 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:34 am

Anyways, Doc needs to realize that KG/Posey/PP/RA/House does not work against a team's first unit. On offense, in our scheme, we have little slashing or rebounding and the extra shooter doesn't help us much cause its not what we need. On defense, we lack rebounding, toughness, shot blocking, and good defensive capability at the guard positions.

With Rondo in there, and least he contributes a little in terms of defensive capability, toughness, rebounding, and provides a little slashing ability. TA provides the same even if there's a turnover here or there (he's played well the past two games). With House in there, Perk needs to be in the game as well, or at the very least Big Baby.

We were lucky Ray was hot tonight. We didn't always look in flow down the stretch and got outrebounded like crazy.
Matt34520
Junior

Post#236 » by Matt34520 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:44 am

Jesus walks!!!!!!!!LOL :D Ray Allen played great tonight. Great win. :clap:
Ray still got game.
Cyclical
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,397

Post#237 » by Cyclical » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:48 am

Wow, I've never seen so many back-handed compliments given by opposing fans in my life. "you're great but... what's with the free throw attempts difference? Star tretment? I swear this is the sloppiest game the blazers have played in weeks."

Oh, just take it.
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 968

Post#238 » by mojomarc » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:57 am

Cyclical wrote:Wow, I've never seen so many back-handed compliments given by opposing fans in my life. "you're great but... what's with the free throw attempts difference? Star tretment? I swear this is the sloppiest game the blazers have played in weeks."

Oh, just take it.

I really don't get why everyone is so quick to blame the refs. Tim Donaghy isn't in the league anymore, so I think we can give the refs the benefit of the doubt that they call what they see. As far as I'm concerned, what they saw was a more aggressive Boston team cutting to the hoop as Portland waved at them, and when you wave on defense you're going to get fouls called on you. That's not poor refereeing, that's just not playing the game as its being called. Good teams adjust, young teams like Portland that are still learning often times don't. That ain't the refs fault.

As I said--good game, and I'm looking forward to beating you guys badly in the revenge matchup in Portland :D
The Rondo Show
Analyst
And1: 327

Post#239 » by The Rondo Show » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:58 am

threrf23 wrote:We were lucky Ray was hot tonight. We didn't always look in flow down the stretch and got outrebounded like crazy.
With the way Posey has struggled lately, I'd like to see Big Baby in there down the stretch as well.

Curious as to how we got outrebounded like crazy, though? We had 2 more rebounds than them, 7 more offensive rebounds (13 to 6) and most of the offensive rebounds for the Blazers that I recall were long ones off jumpers that there was really nothing the Celtics could do about. I disagree and thought the rebounding was pretty damn good.
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,334

Post#240 » by celticfan42487 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:10 am

Yes. They're almost silent in a close game in the fourth. :sleep:

did you see anything particular to cheer for? The celts played a pretty boring game. They looked like 5 guys instead of one team.

We'll cheer again when the Celts play like a team again that can pass the ball and dice up other teams offensively.

As for this, this is like a kid relearning the bike, some progress a cheer some stumbles lead to confused looks for us since this is there job. Once they start biking we'll start cheering. For now there's nothing to cheer too much about cept for maybe the defense.

I'm glad Oden's injured, we won't have to have PORT be in our way in the Finals till a couple of years from now, and that's pretty much when our window will be closing anyways. Great team, Aldridge and Roy are already better then they were suppose to be in their primes.

They just need a little more experience, Aldridge got a little intimidated by Garnett there in the end, and Roy got fooled a couple of times by Ray Ray

Return to Boston Celtics