ImageImageImage

Celtics vs Wizards Gamethread - Monday, January 14th

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Hail2theRedskin
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#321 » by Hail2theRedskin » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:43 am

As a wizards fan the main problem that i see with boston is that they tire themselves out to much on Defense...this in turn makes them sloppy on Offence...i wouldn't worry about this to much because they should find there groove come playoff time.
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,745

Post#322 » by ParticleMan » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:45 am

I agree, I was yelling for Doc to bring back Perk as soon as the Wiz closed within 7. Perk didn't show up until less than a min, on the 3pt play by Caron.

I think Doc had a fair part in blowing this game. Not that I'm absolving the players of going completely passive after they got the double didgit lead. it's like they became allergic to the lane.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 9,262

Post#323 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:47 am

I think Boston should attribute the loss to two things: rebounding and conditioning.

When the Cs were up 12, Washington went on a run. I noticed during that run that Boston's players were not getting to the rebounds and they weren't closing out on shooters. Washington had two and three guys to one on the boards. Boston seemed desperate and not competing like they did both games in the third. They faded late. Time and again they got bailed out on charges when they got beat. At the end, Butler looked way quicker than Boston's defenders.

From the outside looking in I wonder why Rivers doesn't consider resting Ray Allen a few games, and playing Pruitt some.

I think Powe is a really good rebounder who could have helped.

To me, the Celtics look like they've got tired legs. Washington beat them on the boards and just outlasted them tonight.
Bye bye Beal.
darrendaye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 9,018

Post#324 » by darrendaye » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:47 am

Ten, if you're still reading, I'm not 100% sure it's smallball that Doc wants to close games, but simply the 5 scorers.

To anyone: I'm not a Boston resident, so I don't get the postgame stuff on most nights. Did Doc accept ANY responsibility?
Thanks Brad for answering my ad,
"Boston Celtics Barbershop, cutters wanted."
But after KP, your C play? You broke my heart Fredo.

ajones9219 wrote:Is handsome Squidward playing?
Hawaii
Pro Prospect
And1: 21

Post#325 » by Hawaii » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:47 am

It was a great game, first game I've been able to watch the majority of in a while. You guys put up a hell of a fight! I wasn't paying any attention to the people I was at a bar with, and they looked at me weird when I said "watch Ray Allen and Eddie House" when they inbounded with the 8 seconds left.

I like the Celtics, but I love the Wizards, and I'm glad we've picked up both of these wins recently...Wizards=The Celtic Stoppers

Now, continue your domination of the league :D See you in April.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,917

Post#326 » by theGreatRC » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:47 am

Haywood is a very good offensive rebounder and top 5 post defender IMO. The Wizards are a good rebounding team and very aggressive.
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
Rondo_Fan
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Post#327 » by Rondo_Fan » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:48 am

(For the record: I'm not panicking. The following statement is made solely for the purposes of discussion. I still think we are a good team and I am very pleased with how we have done this year. Any misinterpretation of my intentions is the sole responsibility of the reader.)

What I don't get is what Eddie House and even Ray Allen were doing in at the end of the game. If you go back to 4 or 5 minutes, we were leading and our job at that point was to protect the lead, of which playing defense is a significant part. When I see those guys on the court at the same time, I'm thinking, "Desperation, 3-point shooter time." But why on earth would you go into that mode of play when you are up by 10 points? We would have been better off with TA and Rondo on the floor.

Yabba-dabba-doo!
P2
Banned User

Post#328 » by P2 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:49 am

We were up by 14 with 6 minutes to go! By 14!! We're aren't nearly as good as our record tells.
Tenbomber
Banned User
And1: 989

Post#329 » by Tenbomber » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:49 am

darrendaye wrote:don't pretend to possess the wherewithall to judge whether that gameplan is flawed or has historically been successful. I can see the strengths and I can see the weakness, but, I don't know that where one tilts in favor of the other as a general principle. Tonight, to me, it was evident that playing Washington with their big men out there and having shown to be tough on the boards previously, I was fairly confident that the scale was not tipped in favor of the smallball closing unit against this unit.

Who's pretending?.... we all saw what happened...And as you have noticed, this happened with regularity last year....Once teams see certain tendancys, they are prepared for them....same as the Pierce ISO...

They look for it... and they are ready to stop it when the game is on the line...

Thats good coaching IMO....(no pretending)
darrendaye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#330 » by darrendaye » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:50 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:I think Boston should attribute the loss to two things: rebounding and conditioning.

When the Cs were up 12, Washington went on a run. I noticed during that run that Boston's players were not getting to the rebounds and they weren't closing out on shooters. Time and again they got bailed out on charges when they got beat. At the end, Butler looked way quicker than Boston's defenders.

From the outside looking in I wonder why Rivers doesn't consider resting Ray Allen a few games, and playing Pruitt some.

I think Powe is a really good rebounder who could have helped.

To me, the Celtics look like they've got tired legs. Washington beat them on the boards and just outlasted them tonight.

The tired legs theory is one I try to take into account. At this stage, I have given Rivers the benefit of the doubt that he is equipped to gauge this kind of thing, but I surely don't dismiss this as a possibility too. I try to restrict my criticisms to the situation without passing judgment for its origins.

Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 65,239

Post#331 » by Celts17Pride » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:52 am

theGreatRC wrote:Haywood is a very good offensive rebounder and top 5 post defender IMO. The Wizards are a good rebounding team and very aggressive.

Haywood is an even better offensive rebounder with James Posey guarding him.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 9,262

Post#332 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:53 am

Rondo_Fan wrote:(For the record: I'm not panicking. The following statement is made solely for the purposes of discussion. I still think we are a good team and I am very pleased with how we have done this year. Any misinterpretation of my intentions is the sole responsibility of the reader.)

What I don't get is what Eddie House and even Ray Allen were doing in at the end of the game. If you go back to 4 or 5 minutes, we were leading and our job at that point was to protect the lead, of which playing defense is a significant part. When I see those guys on the court at the same time, I'm thinking, "Desperation, 3-point shooter time." But why on earth would you go into that mode of play when you are up by 10 points? We would have been better off with TA and Rondo on the floor.

Agreed.

I think you might have been much better off just keeping the ball in Pierce's hands tonight as well.
Bye bye Beal.
SpaceJam
Veteran
And1: 93

Post#333 » by SpaceJam » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:53 am

SuperDeluxe wrote:The Wizards' jerseys are OK, but when combined with the black shorts they become the worst uni of the whole league, hands down.

They are the best actually.
_________
darrendaye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#334 » by darrendaye » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:56 am

Tenbomber wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Who's petending?.... we all saw what happened...And as you have noticed, this happened with regularity last year....Once teams see certain tendancys, they are prepared for them....same as the Pierce ISO...

They look for it... and they are ready to stop it when the game is on the line...

Thats good coaching IMO....(no pretending)

I'm not trying to absolve Rivers. The thing that always gets me about the media when I read or listen to interviews with Rivers is, I don't believe that they ever question his motivations for strategies he employs. Maybe they do and he's evasive and the replies don't show up in print or in soundbites. So, I don't know what drives his thinking. Yes, any time you are predictable, you expose yourself to being more defensible.

GA2CHAMPS
Junior

Post#335 » by GA2CHAMPS » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:59 am

Darth Celtic wrote:pathetic, we lose to a poor below average team again, back to back, and at home. No excuses, we did this. Last game i had issues, we lost this game all on our own.

I"d be interested to hear what a below average team is - the celtics before this year? OK, i guess 20-16, with losing your first five in an average team. Maybe the wiz are closer to your level then you think?
Tenbomber
Banned User
And1: 989

Post#336 » by Tenbomber » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:02 am

darrendaye wrote:I'm not trying to absolve Rivers. The thing that always gets me about the media when I read or listen to interviews with Rivers is, I don't believe that they ever question his motivations for strategies he employs. Maybe they do and he's evasive and the replies don't show up in print or in soundbites. So, I don't know what drives his thinking. Yes, any time you are predictable, you expose yourself to being more defensible.

Well we are still 30-6... it could be worse I guess?

But theres a little bit of doubt that arises when some old gremlins (like what happened tonight) start to creep into the picture...

Old tendency's seem to die hard...(to be fair) guess thats true of criticism too?
darrendaye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#337 » by darrendaye » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:09 am

Tenbomber wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Well we are still 30-6... it could be worse I guess?

But theres a little bit of doubt that arises when some old gremlins (like what happened tonight) start to creep into the picture...

Old tendency's seem to die hard...(to be fair) guess thats true of criticism too?

All points I can agree with. :wink:

GreenGrizz
Analyst

Post#338 » by GreenGrizz » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:24 am

Doc Rivers = Terry Francona?
Donkey McDonkerton
General Manager
And1: 411

Post#339 » by Donkey McDonkerton » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:58 am

MJG wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Please don't take him as a representative of the Wizards board.

I second this, JI is the worst wizards poster there is...I have had him blocked for months.
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,715

Post#340 » by SuperDeluxe » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:59 am

Is yungal07 representative of the Wizards board?

Return to Boston Celtics