ImageImageImage

Fire Danny Ainge

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

druggas
Head Coach
And1: 5,221

Re: Fire Danny Ainge 

Post#341 » by druggas » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:32 pm

I personally don't believe Ainge should be fired, but do you want your GM to swing for the fences, or play it safe?

And one last nugget here, Jerry West once said, "If you have a shot at getting a superstar, you take it".
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 22,120

Post#342 » by Curmudgeon » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:36 pm

derblitzenator wrote:
JR Hawks wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:
Ainge was the primary reason why the Lakers didn't get AD at midseason. The Pelicans were still holding out hope that Tatum would be part of a bigger trade package and decided to hold until the offseason. Rich Paul had egg on his face and the Lakers fell apart ruining Lebron's playoff streak.

The Lakers eventually got the last laugh. Getting that 4th pick was a major key to the deal. Ingram's blood clot issues are more vetted out. Rich Paul only gave 2 teams an incentive to go all in and got his wish. Ultimately, AD didn't want to be in Boston long-term and that's why Ainge withheld the premium asset (Tatum) to get a deal done.

Yes, that's a good summary. If Ainge had forked over the assets that David Griffin was demanding for a one-year rental the Celtics franchise would have been decimated after 2020.

Griffin also did a good job of managing his owner, Mrs. Benson, who was dead set against trading AD to the Lakers. That may have been posturing, but perhaps it was not. He set his asking price for Boston so high that no sane GM would make such an offer. Then he went to Mrs. Benson and told her (truthfully) that the Lakers offer was the only one on the table.

I'm actually delighted the way things turned out. With the millstone of Irving no longer around the neck of the franchise, with the threat of the repeater tax eliminated and with some good young players, the Celtics will be better next year than many people think.

It's well known that I would have seriously considered firing Ainge for his drafting mistakes, but it's silly to fire him after making the right call on AD.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,571

Post#343 » by canman1971 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:38 pm

druggas wrote:I personally don't believe Ainge should be fired, but do you want your GM to swing for the fences, or play it safe?

And one last nugget here, Jerry West once said, "If you have a shot at getting a superstar, you take it".

That's nice of Jerry in a vacuum, but do you swing for the fences for 1 year for a superstar? That answer is pretty obvious.
Quinjo28
Freshman
And1: 46

Post#344 » by Quinjo28 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:39 pm

So is kyrie more hated in Boston than Lebron now? or does Lebron still hold that title?
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,287

Post#345 » by celticfan42487 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:40 pm

I want to fire the modern CBA.

We're going to get stuck playing lesser all-stars like Hayward and Horford maxes (soon it'll be Brown and Tatum) and we have no chance at competing.

The current system where stars don't care about money because it's well beyond the point where it matters. No matter what they're wealthier than they could ever hope to be... has failed in it's root cause.

We need a complete change of the system so franchises that make wise GM moves can win again.

A good start would be, if your team has signed or traded for a player that has made an all-star appearance in their career, you are banned from acquiring another player that has made an all-star game in their career for the next 5 years. (obviously, they can keep the players on their current team if they make the all-star game).

Lets balance this out. It's not fun to watch a league that only has players going to 2 states to play. I'd love to see AD's considerations and how he'd act if his choice was staying in NO or leaving in free agency to ATL or ORL or PHNX. Give the rest of the league a chance.
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,410

Post#346 » by SuperDeluxe » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:43 pm

Quinjo28 wrote:So is kyrie more hated in Boston than Lebron now? or does Lebron still hold that title?

I don't think anybody here hates either player. There appears to be, however, a growing disrespect towards Irving.
Kalela
RealGM
And1: 11,948

Post#347 » by Kalela » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:45 pm

Quinjo28 wrote:So is kyrie more hated in Boston than Lebron now? or does Lebron still hold that title?

I don't hate Kyrie. I am not a fan of Lebron though.
Fire Mazzulla
CelticFaninLBC
General Manager
And1: 3,068

Post#348 » by CelticFaninLBC » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:45 pm

Darth Celtic wrote:Hard to beat the Lakers offer but not because of players. Jb smart and timelord is better than the Lakers players traded. But look at those picks.

4 this year.
Unprotected first in 21 when LeBron is 37.
Pick swap in 22 when LeBron is 38.
Unprotected first I. 23 when LeBron is 39.
Pick swap in 24 at 40.

The Lakers have Ad and an aging LeBron with 5 players and 30 million in cap room to build a team. Almost no free agent or drat help for seven years. This might end up being the nets deal all over.

If we did that we were ****.

Sure. Add in Tatum instead and we give up a lot less picks than that. Still ****.

No wonder the owners vetoed it. Is was all in for AD but had no idea what they were going to get from the Lakers in picks and swaps.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using RealGM mobile app

Davis is just 26 and they probably get someone ike Middleton in free agency. Even with LeBron gone, AD, Middleton and Kuzma is probably a playoff team.
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,751

Post#349 » by return2glory » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:51 pm

druggas wrote:I personally don't believe Ainge should be fired, but do you want your GM to swing for the fences, or play it safe?

Jerry West said that before the new diva, “It’s about my brand” age. Superstars act as Gods now, more than in the past because some over them can make well over $50m a year with salary and endorsements. They call their shots more than ever. They say whatever, whenever. There is no loyalty to a team. Every little accountability on what they say or do. They try to get coaches fired and teammates trades. This is a new bread of superstars. There are very few role models. People follow these guys on social media and try to
be like them anencephaly act like them to a certain extent, not realizing these guys are less than 1% of the population.

If AD had given any indication that he would stay in Boston, Ainge would have pulled the trigger on the deal. All indications were he was going to LA one way or the other. It would have been different if he had more than a year left on this contract.
Bleedsgreen
Pro Prospect
And1: 364

Post#350 » by Bleedsgreen » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:56 pm

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/06/nba-draft-performance-grades-best-drafting-teams-picks-2007-2016
Been beating this drum in the other thread but Dunno Fire Danny but we need to improve our Drafting. Being Middle of the pack is not going to cut it. Kinda kills me on this list seeing the best players , Big Baby, Sullenger, Etwuan
"Kyrie will 100% win this standoff btw." A Comedian
Green89
RealGM
And1: 27,066

Post#351 » by Green89 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:57 pm

canman1971 wrote:

That's nice of Jerry in a vacuum, but do you swing for the fences for 1 year for a superstar? That answer is pretty obvious.

Really, really bad timing here, as Toronto just proved you do and got a ring out of it.

Also, there's no way you can 100% say PG13, Kawhi, or even AD would walk after one season in green. You just don't know what can happen in a year.

One thing is also certain: by not doing the moves, we had no shot at a title. Doing them and your odds of that increases. The end goal is titles and you need superstars for that, not fear of a player walking and losing some assets if they do.
druggas
Head Coach
And1: 5,221

Post#352 » by druggas » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:08 pm

return2glory wrote:

Jerry West said that before the new diva, “It’s about my brand” age. Superstars act as Gods now, more than in the past because some over them can make well over $50m a year with salary and endorsements. They call their shots more than ever. They say whatever, whenever. There is no loyalty to a team. Every little accountability on what they say or do. They try to get coaches fired and teammates trades. This is a new bread of superstars. There are very few role models. People follow these guys on social media and try to
be like them anencephaly act like them to a certain extent, not realizing these guys are less than 1% of the population.

If AD had given any indication that he would stay in Boston, Ainge would have pulled the trigger on the deal. All indications were he was going to LA one way or the other. It would have been different if he had more than a year left on this contract.

He had to deal with the Shaq and Kobe drama. Talk about divas!
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,751

Post#353 » by return2glory » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:34 pm

druggas wrote:
return2glory wrote:

He had to deal with the Shaq and Kobe drama. Talk about divas!

West was great, taking nothing away from him. But he has the LA factor. Shaq chose to go there as a FA. Kobe didn’t have control because he was traded there as a rookie, great move by West.

Lebron chose LA. AD chose LA and wanted to go there one way or another. It’s easier to swing for the fences when superstars want to come to LA more than any other city in the NBA.
scottyno
Junior
And1: 542

Post#354 » by scottyno » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:42 pm

Absolutely insane that this is an 18 page thread, if Hayward doesn't break his leg 5 minutes into a season they almost definitely make the finals at least once, Kyrie probably stays, and you have both a top team right now, and are set up great for the next 5-10 years and no one has a bad thing to say about Ainge.
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,571

Post#355 » by canman1971 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:28 am

It's a lifetime award. LeBitch holds until he's gone.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#356 » by SmartWentCrazy » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:34 am

Jerry West also said he wouldnt trade SGA for AD
BigTrade92
General Manager
And1: 10,731

Post#357 » by BigTrade92 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:36 am

scottyno wrote:Absolutely insane that this is an 18 page thread, if Hayward doesn't break his leg 5 minutes into a season they almost definitely make the finals at least once, Kyrie probably stays, and you have both a top team right now, and are set up great for the next 5-10 years and no one has a bad thing to say about Ainge.

And if KG doesn’t tweak his knee, Ainge has a 3-peat on his resume....what ifs are fun, but they’re still just what ifs.

Results are what matter and you deal with the reality of what goes down. Ainge has underachieved and whether bad luck has played a part or not, it still has been an underachieving 16 years in Boston.
fallguy
Head Coach
And1: 10,730

Post#358 » by fallguy » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:43 am

SuperDeluxe wrote:

I don't think anybody here hates either player. There appears to be, however, a growing disrespect towards Irving.

I would describe my attitude as contempt.
D.Brasco
General Manager
And1: 9,500

Post#359 » by D.Brasco » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:53 am

Depends if that GM is Masai I guess?
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,469

Post#360 » by Feed Your Head » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:01 am

D.Brasco wrote:

Depends if that GM is Masai I guess?

You really came here to say that?

Return to Boston Celtics