ImageImageImage

What is Jaylen Brown's ceiling?

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Saint Lazarus
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,528

Re: What is Jaylen Brown's ceiling? 

Post#341 » by Saint Lazarus » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:02 am

BostonCouchGM wrote:
Automattic wrote:Jaylen is the only one besides Smart that showed fight at the end of today’s game!

Jaylen is mostly only good for wide open threes. Like I've said ad nauseam. The Heat took that away through almost two games, basically making him ineffective. But they had three straight massive defensive breakdowns resulting in three straight wide open threes towards the end of the game. Since that is just about the only thing Jaylen is good for, it could have cost them the game because he hit the first two. But of course, it's Jaylen, so he missed the one that really mattered to tie the game. And he also had that great offensive rebound and put back too. So this loss wasn't on Jaylen at all. That is, unless it was his and not Brad's fault for overplaying Robinson in the corner on those multiple PnR where he failed to protect the backside. Since we know Jaylen's BBIQ on team defense is horrid, I'm going to assume he wasn't defending like he was supposed to. So "fight" or not, he was instrumental in this loss.

Curious what your thoughts are on for tonight's performance :-?

Jaylen was only 1-2 on "wide open threes," but it seems that he has 26/7/5. How did he obtain these statistics if the Heat only gave him 2 "wide open threes?"
dorkestra wrote:Embiid is embarrassing the whole city of Philadelphia. Wake up you little bitch

The Comedian wrote:Saint Lazarus playing 4D chess right now.

This dude legit has other Celtics fans arguing with him :lol:
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,695

Post#342 » by ParticleMan » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:43 am

super solid tone-setting game by Jaylen. everyone rightly talks about jayson blossoming but i feel like jaylen has taken a significant step forward these playoffs in terms of understanding what the team needs from him. this is the guy he needs to be all the time, and there's no reason he can't be this aggressive. even when teams start packing it in, he should drive and find the corner shooters.

and some takes on here are just so hilariously bad, they're basically just poor trolling 8-)
Floody100
Analyst
And1: 4,991

Post#343 » by Floody100 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:48 am

Just so we’re on the same page this isn’t meant to be a dig at you Cave. I genuinely would just like to know if your thoughts on Jaylen have changed during this playoffs ?
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 26,297

Post#344 » by Fencer reregistered » Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:39 pm

I'm beginning to think that a LOT about Jaylen is a good fit for coming from a family of heavyweight boxers.

First, off or on the court, he seems to have little liking for angry outbursts. I believe that he's sincere in understanding that that's just how guys like Marcus are, but it's foreign to him. Well -- a boxer who can't stifle his anger outside the ring is an abuser and/or a psychopath. I presume he grew up believing that one just controls one's anger, period.

Second, the general "fire" style is that he sees an opening and attacks it hard. This is actually most obvious in his runs in transition; between his propensity for doing it and his various athletic gifts, he's one of the best finishers in the game. But it also fits with his straight-line drives, both the ones that get all the way to the rim and the ones that stop short and turn into a series of power fakes until he takes his shot. That sudden flurry of activity reminds me of boxing.

And of course, he's good at one boxer-like thing that many players do, which is sudden jabs for attempted steals. More generally, on defense he's better at reading, tracking and stymying a single person than he is at team defense/reading the whole floor.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,695

Post#345 » by ParticleMan » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:47 pm

There is more than one reason why it's great to have Jaylen on the Celtics.

https://www.espn.co.uk/nba/story/_/id/29933515/nba-playoffs-celtics-jaylen-brown-player-moment
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#346 » by Bleeding Green » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:57 pm

JHTruth wrote:Jaylen has top 25-player type talent, just wonder where his focus is at times. Sometimes I think he'd rather cosplay Malcom X than play basketball..

Where do you people come up with this ****?
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
CavemanDoctor
Veteran
And1: 4,128

Post#347 » by CavemanDoctor » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:53 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:
JHTruth wrote:Jaylen has top 25-player type talent, just wonder where his focus is at times. Sometimes I think he'd rather cosplay Malcom X than play basketball..

Sometimes a short comment can give a ton of insight into someone, how they think, what they value, what their priorities are, etc. That Malcolm X cosplay post was one of those comments.
GoGreen
Analyst
And1: 3,486

Post#348 » by GoGreen » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:47 pm

No one has improved as much as Jaylen Brown over the years. Sky is the limit afaic as long as he keeps that work ethic set to 11. Been amazing to watch him grow
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#349 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:50 pm

chrisab123
RealGM
And1: 9,507

Post#350 » by chrisab123 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:29 pm

CavemanDoctor wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:

Sometimes a short comment can give a ton of insight into someone, how they think, what they value, what their priorities are, etc. That Malcolm X cosplay post was one of those comments.

It's interesting that a poster can call someone Malcolm X (as an insult) because that individual acknowledges severe racial injustices and fights to make a better society. The horror! Am I right?

He's able to fight in a public setting because Colin Kaepernick sacrificed a great career by starting the movement and kneeling. Put some respect on that
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 94,320

Post#351 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:12 pm

Read on Twitter
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#352 » by Fencer reregistered » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:39 am

A thread on the GB right now has multiple posts placing JB among the top 20 players in the league. :D
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#353 » by BostonCouchGM » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:46 am

as a reminder, most NBA fans are complete morons and the majority of this fan base thinks Jaylen is better than Jamal Murray. True story
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 19,389

Post#354 » by playa-hater » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:14 am

BostonCouchGM wrote:as a reminder, most NBA fans are complete morons and the majority of this fan base thinks Jaylen is better than Jamal Murray. True story

I would take Murray over Brown, but it is much closer than you want.. Brown is a very good defender and DOESN"T need to be the main guy. Murray is a pretty good defender but is willing to be a 2nd or even a 3rd option??

J Brown still has more upside IMO.. continued shooting and play-making ability can be had.. Murray who I love is near peak IMO.

so Murray for me, but not by a lot.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,948

Post#355 » by bucknersrevenge » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:18 am

playa-hater wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:as a reminder, most NBA fans are complete morons and the majority of this fan base thinks Jaylen is better than Jamal Murray. True story

I would take Murray over Brown, but it is much closer than you want.. Brown is a very good defender and DOESN"T need to be the main guy. Murray is a pretty good defender but is willing to be a 2nd or even a 3rd option??

J Brown still has more upside IMO.. continued shooting and play-making ability can be had.. Murray who I love is near peak IMO.

so Murray for me, but not by a lot.

I don't know that Murray is near his peak at all. I see no evidence of that. But I am extremely BORED of this argument now. And this is coming from someone who prefers Murray.

Murray is in Denver. We have Jaylen. That's it. Time to move on.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
Saint Lazarus
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,528

Post#356 » by Saint Lazarus » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:37 am

Still waiting for your response
Saint Lazarus wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:
Automattic wrote:Jaylen is the only one besides Smart that showed fight at the end of today’s game!

Jaylen is mostly only good for wide open threes. Like I've said ad nauseam. The Heat took that away through almost two games, basically making him ineffective. But they had three straight massive defensive breakdowns resulting in three straight wide open threes towards the end of the game. Since that is just about the only thing Jaylen is good for, it could have cost them the game because he hit the first two. But of course, it's Jaylen, so he missed the one that really mattered to tie the game. And he also had that great offensive rebound and put back too. So this loss wasn't on Jaylen at all. That is, unless it was his and not Brad's fault for overplaying Robinson in the corner on those multiple PnR where he failed to protect the backside. Since we know Jaylen's BBIQ on team defense is horrid, I'm going to assume he wasn't defending like he was supposed to. So "fight" or not, he was instrumental in this loss.

Curious what your thoughts are on for tonight's performance :-?

Jaylen was only 1-2 on "wide open threes," but it seems that he has 26/7/5. How did he obtain these statistics if the Heat only gave him 2 "wide open threes?"
dorkestra wrote:Embiid is embarrassing the whole city of Philadelphia. Wake up you little bitch

The Comedian wrote:Saint Lazarus playing 4D chess right now.

This dude legit has other Celtics fans arguing with him :lol:
keevsnick1
Veteran
And1: 4,191

Post#357 » by keevsnick1 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:43 pm

An excellent article form the Ringer highlighting the rareness of Jaylen's defensive versatility combined with his offensive load.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2020/9/23/21451759/jaylen-brown-celtics-heat-east-finals
Cuban Pete
Junior
And1: 237

Post#358 » by Cuban Pete » Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:58 pm

bucknersrevenge wrote:Murray is in Denver. We have Jaylen. That's it. Time to move on.

The best way to move on is to learn from mistakes. The fact that Danny drafted another athletic RSCI warrior with poor shooting stats and weak D stats tells me that he repeats his mistakes.
24istheLAW
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,900

Post#359 » by 24istheLAW » Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:02 pm

ParticleMan wrote:super solid tone-setting game by Jaylen. everyone rightly talks about jayson blossoming but i feel like jaylen has taken a significant step forward these playoffs in terms of understanding what the team needs from him. this is the guy he needs to be all the time, and there's no reason he can't be this aggressive. even when teams start packing it in, he should drive and find the corner shooters.

and some takes on here are just so hilariously bad, they're basically just poor trolling 8-)

I think he's always had an advanced understanding of what the team needs from him, and that bringing offensive aggression is his role. The limiting factor is skill, just because he wants to get to the rim and go to the line, doesn't mean he can.

Ever since the opener when Hayward broke his leg, where everyone else was shook and sort of packed it in, and Jaylen was in relentless attack mode.... I think he has a strong sense of what the game needs in-game. Just a matter of having the skill to deliver it.
Cuban Pete
Junior
And1: 237

Post#360 » by Cuban Pete » Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:07 pm

FlatearthZorro wrote:
bucknersrevenge wrote:
playa-hater wrote:
Not saying this is wrong, JM over J BROWN, but JB is the better defender.. and Boston is one of the top defensive teams, which is a big reason they are here in the playoffs.

Yeah but Murray's overall net effect is still much higher. I don't agree with BostonCouchGM on much. I think everyone knows that. But his Jaylen takes have never given me much pause. And I also wanted Murray that year too.

Murray has just had this particular run. I feel as if Brown's overall career has been far superior. Murray averaged 18-19 a game this season. Maybe he's ascending, we will see, but I like Brown's 2 way potential WAY more. I also think in last game, we completely ignored Jaylen and he was having a decent game.

Numbers say otherwise...

Career Ortg/Drtg

Murray 110/113
Brown 106/107

Despite Brown's natural physical ability, his steal and block rates aren't much higher than Murray's.

Career Blk%/Stl%

Brown 1.1/1.6
Murray 0.9/1.5

Return to Boston Celtics