ImageImageImage

Welcome to Virtual Boston, Yam Madar!

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Larry_Russell
General Manager
And1: 5,071

Re: Welcome to Virtual Boston, Yam Madar! 

Post#421 » by Larry_Russell » Fri Aug 6, 2021 12:25 pm

ParticleMan wrote:He has good form and seems competent. I think adding an extra foot on the distance is not the big issue. The question is how well does he do in terms of conditioning and focus in a real game setting. I am more impressed by his 40% shooting for the season than that video. And I like that he's 6-3, you worry about guys who can shoot but are short so they get thrown off more (cough*carsen*cough).

Anyways, he seems to have the tools to be a good shooter. That is a necessary but not sufficient condition. But it's a good start.

Have you watched the workout videos posted of him this summer?

I, admittedly, am not well versed in the conditioning training that nba players go through, but my god his workouts seems savage.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#422 » by cloverleaf » Fri Aug 6, 2021 2:39 pm

Larry_Russell wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:
Larry_Russell wrote:

yes, but it needs to be noted that
1) this was in a 5 minute period
2) open gym after an unknown period of time doing other things
3) was a year ago.
4) that was NBA range

He has worked on his shooting a lot this past year. Little Ainge has stated that everything the Celtics wanted him to work on he shows huge improvement in

https://www.celticsblog.com/2021/7/28/22598230/yam-madar-improved-in-every-area-boston-celtics-wanted-him-to-this-season-nba-summer-league

Also, in that first video, pull ups from Curry range.....hard to fake that. (about the 45 second mark)

Why do you say that was NBA range? Or that it was he had been doing other things beforehand? And it was 9 months ago.

I've been boosting Yam on this board for months, but don't see why things should be mis- or overstated. This drill is regularly done at the combine when there is real pressure on. Yam could have done this drill with his trainer for a couple of weeks, with this the best result--we just don't know.

Nothing in his history has shown that this is potentially faked.
And thought I read a translated report somewhere that Yam has been doing this after his workouts for some time looking to improve his range and stamina at shooting. So I am assuming here with what I stated, but it was based of things I heard, albeit second hand translated.

And it is also very hard to dispute the evidence of his shooting this past season and the season prior. Results speak.

Since 2018-2019 his shooting numbers

FG%
42%
44%
47%

ft%
71%
80%
83%

3pt%
24%
28%
41%

And the 3pt% was on 132 attempts as well. Not a small sample size at all. 4.5 attempts per game

Those marks were only hit by 37 guys in the nba last season. That is some pretty rarified air. (30 games or more, 4.4 attempts or more, 40% or more from 3)

His confidence is higher, his range is better, his form is better. You can tell he has put huge amounts of work in.

Again, I am high on Yam. But that was playing in Israel, with less than the NBA distance from 3 and a far inferior level of competition/competing defenders than in the NBA. No need to exaggerate or misrepresent. And I am not saying I think that video was "faked", just that we don't know how many times he went through the exercise, with them sharing his best result.
Larry_Russell
General Manager

Post#423 » by Larry_Russell » Fri Aug 6, 2021 2:57 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
Larry_Russell wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:
Why do you say that was NBA range? Or that it was he had been doing other things beforehand? And it was 9 months ago.

I've been boosting Yam on this board for months, but don't see why things should be mis- or overstated. This drill is regularly done at the combine when there is real pressure on. Yam could have done this drill with his trainer for a couple of weeks, with this the best result--we just don't know.

And thought I read a translated report somewhere that Yam has been doing this after his workouts for some time looking to improve his range and stamina at shooting. So I am assuming here with what I stated, but it was based of things I heard, albeit second hand translated.

And it is also very hard to dispute the evidence of his shooting this past season and the season prior. Results speak.

FG%
42%
44%
47%

ft%
71%
80%
83%

3pt%
24%
28%
41%

And the 3pt% was on 132 attempts as well. Not a small sample size at all. 4.5 attempts per game

Those marks were only hit by 37 guys in the nba last season. That is some pretty rarified air. (30 games or more, 4.4 attempts or more, 40% or more from 3)

His confidence is higher, his range is better, his form is better. You can tell he has put huge amounts of work in.

Again, I am high on Yam. But that was playing in Israel, with less than the NBA distance from 3 and a far inferior level of competition/competing defenders than in the NBA. No need to exaggerate or misrepresent. And I am not saying I think that video was "faked", just that we don't know how many times he went through the exercise, with them sharing his best result.

I take his distance shooting in Isreal the same I take a college player. If you get a guy out of college hitting 40% from 3 on 4+ takes a game we are all quite confident that will translate to NBA

And as far as competition, I would put his on par with what was faced by college kids this past season. At least close to it.
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#424 » by cloverleaf » Fri Aug 6, 2021 3:09 pm

Larry_Russell wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:
Larry_Russell wrote:

FG%
42%
44%
47%

ft%
71%
80%
83%

3pt%
24%
28%
41%

I take his distance shooting in Isreal the same I take a college player. If you get a guy out of college hitting 40% from 3 on 4+ takes a game we are all quite confident that will translate to NBA

And as far as competition, I would put his on par with what was faced by college kids this past season. At least close to it.

That's probably fair (but as I already pointed out, not reason to put him in the "rarified air" of top current NBA shooters).

My fervent hope is that he not only makes the team, but proves himself a legit 2nd-string PG this season, with PP showing himself able to run a first-string NBA offense. (With Marcus being shipped out by the deadline to another team.) Along with that, I want to see Romeo and Aaron show strong as 3rd and 2nd-year players in their roles as well. And, of course, for Rob to stay healthy! Heck, while I'm at it, I'd love to see Hauser make the regular roster and our young Guadaloupan so eager to play over here that he productively gets a 2-way.
truth18
RealGM
And1: 42,830

Post#425 » by truth18 » Fri Aug 6, 2021 3:12 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
Larry_Russell wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:

That's probably fair (but as I already pointed out, not reason to put him in the "rarified air" of top current NBA shooters).

My fervent hope is that he not only makes the team, but proves himself a legit 2nd-string PG this season, with PP showing himself able to run a first-string NBA offense. (With Marcus being shipped out by the deadline to another team.) Along with that, I want to see Romeo and Aaron show strong as 3rd and 2nd-year players in their roles as well. And, of course, for Rob to stay healthy! Heck, while I'm at it, I'd love to see Hauser make the regular roster and our young Guadaloupan so eager to play over here that he productively gets a 2-way.

Pritchard sucks.
YOU LOSE
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#426 » by cloverleaf » Fri Aug 6, 2021 3:14 pm

truth18 wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:
Larry_Russell wrote:

Pritchard sucks.

What a well-reasoned argument.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,417

Post#427 » by Hal14 » Sun Aug 8, 2021 6:06 am

1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#428 » by cloverleaf » Sun Aug 8, 2021 3:01 pm

When's he gonna earn his first Yammy Point?
Larry_Russell
General Manager

Post#429 » by Larry_Russell » Mon Aug 9, 2021 1:47 am

Yam looked good in looked good in limited minutes today

Defense, hustle, playmaking and court awareness really stood out
Havlicek17
Pro Prospect
And1: 171

Post#430 » by Havlicek17 » Mon Aug 9, 2021 2:18 am

It's only Summer League, but Yam looked pretty good today.

High energy, very disruptive on defense and had a good mid range game.
Larry_Russell
General Manager

Post#431 » by Larry_Russell » Mon Aug 9, 2021 11:33 am

That defense at 0:33
31to6
RealGM
And1: 28,472

Post#432 » by 31to6 » Mon Aug 9, 2021 11:52 am

Larry_Russell wrote:

That defense at 0:33

Yup, like vintage Avery Bradley but longer/stretchier! :nod:
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
Scoonie
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,787

Post#433 » by Scoonie » Mon Aug 9, 2021 1:13 pm

He moves like Tony Parker out there. Very fluid and flexible. Similar size and body type as well.

He will definitely need to get physically stronger, but the same can be said for pretty much every other guard his age.
Dogen wrote:Celtics win despite Smart having -1 points for the game.
Half-Full
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,127

Post#434 » by Half-Full » Mon Aug 9, 2021 2:37 pm

Yam, like Pritchard, plays with a lot of confidence. He looks good on the floor. The highlight clip posted above is a tantalizing glimpse of what is to come. I ain't got no crystal ball, but I don't need to gaze into one to see what is obvious. This kid is a baller.
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#435 » by cloverleaf » Mon Aug 9, 2021 3:16 pm

Scoonie wrote:He moves like Tony Parker out there. Very fluid and flexible. Similar size and body type as well.

He will definitely need to get physically stronger, but the same can be said for pretty much every other guard his age.

He's working on it!

https://celticswire.usatoday.com/2021/07/25/nba-boston-celtics-madar-muscle/
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 54,987

Post#436 » by Parliament10 » Mon Aug 9, 2021 3:59 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
TH15
Freshman
And1: 95

Post#437 » by TH15 » Mon Aug 9, 2021 4:09 pm

Very excited about Madar after his first summer league game. He looked like Playoff Rondo in his 17 minutes out there, immediately turning around the momentum coming off the bench after a 0-10 start for the C's. As Steve Smith mentioned, Yam's swagger was palpable. Lots of Ooohs and Ahhs from the crowd. Shocking that he got no credit in the box score for steals, as he had his hands on multiple jump balls/deflections/strips etc. Very reminiscent of vintage AB with the ball pressure too, as others noted.

Being a "bridge year" and all, I would much prefer a pg rotation of Smart/PP/Yam over one that includes Schroder. Why should we allocate valuable playing time and shots to a one-and-dunn guy with an inflated ego and who will be a questionable chemistry fit? I am sick of disjointed locker rooms and inflated egos, and bringing in Schroder even at a crazy discount seems like a bad move from a risk/reward standpoint.

Best case scenario is Schroder recaptures his OKC form and is a valuable rotation piece that contributes to winning for the C's in his one year, Schroder rehabilitates his value around the league and leaves for big money. Worst case scenario is he never fits in, takes minutes and usage from developing players, and causes chemistry problems. Another possible scenario is he plays well for us and is part of future team plans in a non-Beal scenario. That's also not a very attractive scenario and I'd prefer investing in our young prospects, even if that means less wins short term.

With that said, if we do land Schroder, I won't be totally disappointed because he does represent a decent talent upgrade at a bargain-bin price... so maybe the old saying "don't look a gift horse in the mouth" should apply.

*edit to add, if we sign him on a multi-year deal, with plans to use him as an outgoing asset in a Beal or other star player trade, I would be supportive of that (as I was supportive of resigning Smart/Williams/Fournier on reasonable deals for the same reason). I can't imagine he would bring much value on a 1-year expiring at the deadline.
robbie84
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,469

Post#438 » by robbie84 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:14 am

I like all these guys. Begarin, Yam, the white guy who can shoot.
Get rid of Carson and Taco and see if we can build these guys into role players/trade assets with value.
One day Marcus Smart will be defensive player of the year, mark my words.
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,936

Post#439 » by FlatearthZorro » Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:24 am

robbie84 wrote:I like all these guys. Begarin, Yam, the white guy who can shoot.
Get rid of Carson and Taco and see if we can build these guys into role players/trade assets with value.

Carson, Taco and don't forget Grant. I'd prefer the dude who can shoot over him. I wouldn't mind Yam having a guaranteed roster spot if he continues playing this way. Begarin on a two way deal for this year.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
robbie84
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,469

Post#440 » by robbie84 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:39 am

FlatearthZorro wrote:
robbie84 wrote:I like all these guys. Begarin, Yam, the white guy who can shoot.

Carson, Taco and don't forget Grant. I'd prefer the dude who can shoot over him. I wouldn't mind Yam having a guaranteed roster spot if he continues playing this way. Begarin on a two way deal for this year.

I like Grant, I think he's underrated here, especially defensively. Without Thompson I think we'll need him.
If he can get his 3pt % up to 38/40% he'll be the perfect versatile big for us.
One day Marcus Smart will be defensive player of the year, mark my words.

Return to Boston Celtics