ImageImageImage

What is Jaylen Brown's ceiling?

Moderators: bisme37, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10

akidlittle
Sophomore
And1: 116

Re: What is Jaylen Brown's ceiling? 

Post#501 » by akidlittle » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:40 am

BostonCouchGM wrote:
Fencer reregistered wrote:It was asserted in the trade thread that Jaylen is most likely a top 40 player. I checked. I agree. In fact, I have him at #31, and see only 10 more guys who I think have even a strong argument over him.

My list is below; I hope there aren't any (or least aren't many) really embarrassing oversights/omissions. Guys named without comment I put ahead of him. Guys with question marks I don't put ahead of him, but recognize that other people easily might. (Indeed, a few guys I put behind Jaylen were 2020 all-stars. But on the other hand, I put Jaylen behind a few guys he outplayed in the postseason.)

Dallas – Doncic, Porzingis
Denver – Jokic, Murray
Golden State – Curry, Thompson, Green?
Houston – Harden, Westbrook
LAC – Leonard, George
LAL – James, Davis
Memphis – Morant?
Minnesota – Towns
New Orleans – Ingram, Williamson?, Holiday?
Oklahoma City – Paul
Phoenix – Booker?
Portland – Lillard
Sacramento – nobody
San Antonio – nobody
Utah – Mitchell, Gobert

18 yes, 4 close no

Atlanta – Young?
Boston – Tatum, Walker?, Hayward?
Brooklyn – Durant, Irving
Charlotte – nobody
Chicago – nobody
Cleveland – nobody
Detroit – nobody
Indiana – Sabonis?, Odiapo?, Brogdon?
Miami – Butler, Adebayo
Milwaukee – Antetokuonmpo, Middleton
NYK – nobody
Orlando – nobody
Philadelphia – Embiid, Simmons
Toronto – Siakam, Lowry
Washington – Beal

12 yes, 6 close no

I'll give you an updated list that is sure to trigger the Jaylen defense force. These are objectively better player, that you listed, no stats needed:

Trae
Hayward
Tatum
KD
Kyrie
Doncic
Porzingis
Steph
Klay
Harden
Westbrook
Sabonis
Oladipo
Lebron
AD
George
Kawhi
Morant
Butler
Bam
Giannis
Middleton
Zion
Holiday
Paul
Simmons
Embiid
Booker
Lillard
Lowry
Siakam
Mitchell
Gobert
Beal

that's 34 guys no doubt better than Jaylen. No debate to be had.

However, your list was missing the following objectively better players:

LaVine-25-5-4
DLO-23-4-6
Ayton-18-12-2
Blake-25-7-5 (last healthy season)
Wall-21-4-9 (last healthy season)
Love-17-10-3
JJJ-17-5-1 w/ 1.6 blocks
McCollum-22-4-4
Fox--22-4-7

now we're up to 43 OBJECTIVELY better players, when you consider the player's impact and position. Homers might laughably attempt to claim Jaylen is better than maybe 2-4 of these players but they'd be wrong.

Now, let's talk SUBJECTIVELY. The following have a similar impact as Jaylen and an argument could be made for them over him though I wouldn't:

Aldridge-19-7-3
DeRozan-22-5-5
Capela-14-14-1 with 2 blocks a game
Dinwiddie-21-4-7
Kemba-21-4-5
Drummond-15-15-3 with 1.5 blocks and steals a game
Graham-18-3-8
Brogdon-17-5-7
Hield-19-5-3

players I think are better but due to circumstances/injuries haven't completely proven it to the world just yet
MPJ
Markkanen
SGA
Lonzo
Bridges
Isaac
Barrett

add the 10-12 guys from the previous drafts with potential to be better and 10 or so guys from the 2020 draft class and it doesn't look good for Jaylen to get in that top 40 and definitely, should he crack it, not for a sustained amount of time because the 2021 class is LOADED.

Just enjoy the #3 that he is, the 3 and sometimes D and stop putting so much pressure on the poor kid by saying he's better than he is.

You forgot to add Pete Maravich and Penny Hardaway. Those dudes are legit lol
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,220

Post#502 » by ConstableGeneva » Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:45 pm

Well deserved, JB! Now go win us banner 18 so people stop trading you for Harden hehe.
Read on Twitter
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#503 » by BostonCouchGM » Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:56 pm

akidlittle wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:
Fencer reregistered wrote:It was asserted in the trade thread that Jaylen is most likely a top 40 player. I checked. I agree. In fact, I have him at #31, and see only 10 more guys who I think have even a strong argument over him.

My list is below; I hope there aren't any (or least aren't many) really embarrassing oversights/omissions. Guys named without comment I put ahead of him. Guys with question marks I don't put ahead of him, but recognize that other people easily might. (Indeed, a few guys I put behind Jaylen were 2020 all-stars. But on the other hand, I put Jaylen behind a few guys he outplayed in the postseason.)

Denver – Jokic, Murray
LAC – Leonard, George
LAL – James, Davis
Memphis – Morant?
Minnesota – Towns
Oklahoma City – Paul
Phoenix – Booker?
Portland – Lillard
Sacramento – nobody
San Antonio – nobody
Utah – Mitchell, Gobert

18 yes, 4 close no

Atlanta – Young?
Charlotte – nobody
Chicago – nobody
Cleveland – nobody
Detroit – nobody
Miami – Butler, Adebayo
NYK – nobody
Orlando – nobody
Toronto – Siakam, Lowry
Washington – Beal

12 yes, 6 close no

I'll give you an updated list that is sure to trigger the Jaylen defense force. These are objectively better player, that you listed, no stats needed:

Trae
Hayward
Tatum
KD
Kyrie
Doncic
Porzingis
Steph
Klay
Harden
Westbrook
Sabonis
Oladipo
Lebron
AD
George
Kawhi
Morant
Butler
Bam
Giannis
Middleton
Zion
Holiday
Paul
Simmons
Embiid
Booker
Lillard
Lowry
Siakam
Mitchell
Gobert
Beal

LaVine-25-5-4
DLO-23-4-6
Ayton-18-12-2
Love-17-10-3
JJJ-17-5-1 w/ 1.6 blocks
McCollum-22-4-4
Fox--22-4-7

now we're up to 43 OBJECTIVELY better players, when you consider the player's impact and position. Homers might laughably attempt to claim Jaylen is better than maybe 2-4 of these players but they'd be wrong.

Now, let's talk SUBJECTIVELY. The following have a similar impact as Jaylen and an argument could be made for them over him though I wouldn't:

Aldridge-19-7-3
DeRozan-22-5-5
Dinwiddie-21-4-7
Kemba-21-4-5
Graham-18-3-8
Brogdon-17-5-7
Hield-19-5-3

players I think are better but due to circumstances/injuries haven't completely proven it to the world just yet
MPJ
Markkanen
SGA
Lonzo
Bridges
Isaac
Barrett

add the 10-12 guys from the previous drafts with potential to be better and 10 or so guys from the 2020 draft class and it doesn't look good for Jaylen to get in that top 40 and definitely, should he crack it, not for a sustained amount of time because the 2021 class is LOADED.

Just enjoy the #3 that he is, the 3 and sometimes D and stop putting so much pressure on the poor kid by saying he's better than he is.

oh...a ha...a ha ha ha ha. Yikes with that attempt at humor
Floody100
Analyst
And1: 4,991

Post#504 » by Floody100 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:27 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:

Denver – Jokic, Murray
LAC – Leonard, George
LAL – James, Davis
Memphis – Morant?
Minnesota – Towns
Oklahoma City – Paul
Phoenix – Booker?
Portland – Lillard
Sacramento – nobody
San Antonio – nobody
Utah – Mitchell, Gobert

18 yes, 4 close no

Atlanta – Young?
Charlotte – nobody
Chicago – nobody
Cleveland – nobody
Detroit – nobody
Miami – Butler, Adebayo
NYK – nobody
Orlando – nobody
Toronto – Siakam, Lowry
Washington – Beal

12 yes, 6 close no

MPJ
Markkanen
SGA
Lonzo
Bridges
Isaac
Barrett

Whenever I’m feeling sad I’ll always know I can come back to this to have a good laugh :lol:
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 26,038

Post#505 » by Fencer reregistered » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:58 pm

ConstableGeneva wrote:Well deserved, JB! Now go win us banner 18 so people stop trading you for Harden hehe.
Read on Twitter

He's close to being the token male in the group. :)
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
31to6
RealGM
And1: 28,316

Post#506 » by 31to6 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:33 am

Fencer reregistered wrote:
ConstableGeneva wrote:Well deserved, JB! Now go win us banner 18 so people stop trading you for Harden hehe.
Read on Twitter

He's close to being the token male in the group. :)

QUICK let's make a list of all Bostonians and decide where to rank him ;)
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,694

Jaylen Brown the Myth the Truth 

Post#507 » by BK_2020 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:06 pm

Jaylen Brown is a nice young player but he's being built up as some intellectual/ savior/ future president of the USA just because he went to one year of college and plays **** chess.

Jaylen is about 1300 ELO, which is about what you should hope to achieve if you know how the pieces move and you don't suffer from debilitating developmental disabilities.

He lost to a 9 year old.

He is what he is, an athletic but not exactly subtle wing who can play passable individual defense and make a good dump-off if there is an open man 4 feet away from him. He can knock down open threes and attack closeouts as long as he doesn't have to dribble too much. His supposed off-court accomplishments shouldn't cloud our view of him.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Re: Jaylen Brown the Myth the Truth 

Post#508 » by sully00 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:13 pm

BK_2020 wrote:Jaylen Brown is a nice young player but he's being built up as some intellectual/ savior/ future president of the USA just because he went to one year of college and plays **** chess.

Jaylen is about 1300 ELO, which is about what you should hope to achieve if you know how the pieces move and you don't suffer from debilitating developmental disabilities.

He lost to a 9 year old.

He is what he is, an athletic but not exactly subtle wing who can play passable individual defense and make a good dump-off if there is an open man 4 feet away from him. He can knock down open threes and attack closeouts as long as he doesn't have to dribble too much. His supposed off-court accomplishments shouldn't cloud our view of him.

This can go in the Jaylen Brown thread that is already going.
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,907

Post#509 » by bucknersrevenge » Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:50 pm

BK_2020 wrote:Jaylen Brown is a nice young player but he's being built up as some intellectual/ savior/ future president of the USA just because he went to one year of college and plays **** chess.

He lost to a 9 year old.

Nor should the weaknesses in his game cloud the fact that he is an intelligent, decent young man who cares about education, the betterment of all people, and Boston. And he is willing to walk the walk, and not just talk it from behind a keyboard.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 26,038

Post#510 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:13 pm

Wait a moment. What chess site is that that has enough Bughouse -- I hope they mean Double Bughouse --to have ratings for it??

As for ratings -- yeah, I was 1300ish after my first USCF tournament at age 9 or 10. I actually peaked at 1650 at a time when no other chessplayer in the country under 14 was rated any higher. That's totally bizarre, as normally one would have some prodigy in that age range who was soon going to be a grandmaster. But I'm not making it up. I'm a number of years younger than the Larry Christensen/Jim Tarjan generation, and older than anybody one's heard of who came after.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#511 » by Bleeding Green » Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:24 pm

At least he doesn't talk about his Connect Four ability, which is a solved game.

Damn that little kid must be in high school by now. Hope he ditched the hat.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,287

Post#512 » by themoneyteam2 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:47 am

BostonCouchGM wrote:
akidlittle wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:

Trae
Hayward
Tatum
KD
Kyrie
Doncic
Porzingis
Steph
Klay
Harden
Westbrook
Sabonis
Oladipo
Lebron
AD
George
Kawhi
Morant
Butler
Bam
Giannis
Middleton
Zion
Holiday
Paul
Simmons
Embiid
Booker
Lillard
Lowry
Siakam
Mitchell
Gobert
Beal

LaVine-25-5-4
DLO-23-4-6
Ayton-18-12-2
Love-17-10-3
JJJ-17-5-1 w/ 1.6 blocks
McCollum-22-4-4
Fox--22-4-7

Aldridge-19-7-3
DeRozan-22-5-5
Dinwiddie-21-4-7
Kemba-21-4-5
Graham-18-3-8
Brogdon-17-5-7
Hield-19-5-3

MPJ
Markkanen
SGA
Lonzo
Bridges
Isaac
Barrett

Actually the funnier part is thinking Lonzo, Bridges, and RJ Barrett are better than Jaylen Brown.
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,907

Post#513 » by bucknersrevenge » Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:53 pm

themoneyteam2 wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:
akidlittle wrote:You forgot to add Pete Maravich and Penny Hardaway. Those dudes are legit lol

Actually the funnier part is thinking Lonzo, Bridges, and RJ Barrett are better than Jaylen Brown.

and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
SMTBSI
RealGM
And1: 25,281

Post#514 » by SMTBSI » Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:02 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:These are objectively better players
BostonCouchGM wrote:No debate to be had
BostonCouchGM wrote:the following objectively better players
BostonCouchGM wrote:now we're up to 43 OBJECTIVELY better players

No opinion on the Jaylen debate. But you literally do not know what the word objectively means. And I mean the word literally literally. Putting it in all caps and declaring the debate over is not doing the rhetorical work you think it is.

BostonCouchGM wrote:now we're up to 43 OBJECTIVELY better players, when you consider the player's impact and position.

This sentence in particular is just awesome. "Objectively, once you consider certain contextual elements".

Edit:
BostonCouchGM wrote:Blake-25-7-5 (last healthy season)

These too.
SMTBSI
RealGM

Post#515 » by SMTBSI » Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:41 pm

BK_2020 wrote:Jaylen is about 1300 ELO, which is about what you should hope to achieve if you know how the pieces move and you don't suffer from debilitating developmental disabilities.

1380 is bottom-of-the-barrel for competitive play, but it's plenty to play casually and whoop your friends and coworkers who "know how to play" but don't really know how to play. Certainly well beyond 'just knowing how to move the pieces'. About what I'd expect for someone who enjoys the game, but never committed to sinking the time to "git gud".

Kind of like how some of us on here can technically play basketball, while others are pretty decent for casuals and would whup those first group of players, but still get trashed themselves by anyone who actually played competitively.

BTW, it's Elo, not ELO. Not an acronym, but named after the fellow who created it: Arpad Elo. [1] [2] [3]
La Flame
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,110

Post#516 » by La Flame » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:05 pm

He lost to a 9 year old.

Lmfaooo so you looked up his chess scores to validate a non-existing point? I haven't seen anyone here hyping him to an unreasonable level, especially due to chess lmfao. Matter of fact the consensus seems that he's a great person but would be traded for a superstar in an instant. Stop making things up in your mind, you're hating so hard over nothing :lol: :noway:
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#517 » by Bleeding Green » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:23 pm

Look at his body language in that photo, too. Such a smarmy ****.

The kid I mean.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,694

Post#518 » by BK_2020 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:28 pm

How does Jaylen have like 5 pieces left after what looks like 6 moves played.
SMTBSI
RealGM

Post#519 » by SMTBSI » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:56 pm

BK_2020 wrote:How does Jaylen have like 5 pieces left after what looks like 6 moves played.

Cause that 9 year old had a 1750 Elo rating at the time Jaylen played him, and got a big bump above 1900 a couple months later (2303 now, at age 13). Would humiliate just about any casual player, adult or no.

https://ratings.fide.com/profile/30908477/chart
Dangit
Starter
And1: 1,975

Post#520 » by Dangit » Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:17 pm

A better version of Jeff Green....
Postby YouthMovement on Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:09 pm

im 19 and i can say paul pierce ruined my childhood

Return to Boston Celtics