ImageImageImage

Welcome to Boston, Aaron Nesmith!

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

flintsky21
Sixth Man
And1: 2,824

Re: Welcome to Boston, Aaron Nesmith! 

Post#561 » by flintsky21 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:27 pm

themoneyteam2 wrote:He should be used in the JJ Redick/Duncan Robinson role but yet every game I watch he's just standing there on the perimeter like Semi hoping he gets an open shot off a drive.

I don't think Brad or any of the staff has an idea how to utilize a guy like that because they've never really had a guy like that. When's the last time the Celtics even had a guy like that? Ray Allen? They're just throwing Nesmith out there and hoping for the best.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 28,474

Post#562 » by 31to6 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:40 pm

They’ve got him playing with manic energy and much improved defense. I’d call that a big win before worrying about running plays for him.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#563 » by Bleeding Green » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:56 pm

He's even taking 8.4 3PA per 100 possessions. More than Duncan Robinson in his rookie season and roughly in line with Duncan Robinson this year, who is at 9.1. He's getting shots other than that game where he played 22 minutes without one.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,287

Post#564 » by themoneyteam2 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:12 am

Bleeding Green wrote:He's even taking 8.4 3PA per 100 possessions. More than Duncan Robinson in his rookie season and roughly in line with Duncan Robinson this year, who is at 9.1. He's getting shots other than that game where he played 22 minutes without one.

Well damn I’ll take the L on that one lol guess recency bias coming into play since he took only 6 3PA over the last 4 games before the game in Atlanta.

Glad he’s getting consistent minutes and hope that he’s there to stay in the rotation
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 19,295

Post#565 » by playa-hater » Wed Mar 3, 2021 5:34 am

I want to say this before it happens. Nesmith had played a stretch of about 5 games where he was shooting/scoring/defending/passing/rebounding quite well. His motor was actually being compared to Smart at some point. Stevens even went on to say "he may be closing out games as well." Nesmith even had a solid +/- net going. but somehow Stevens inexplicitly stopped playing him altogether. One of Nesmith's and any rookies first challenge is gaining confidence with a jump to the NBA. Nesmith seemed to be riding high during that 5 game stretch. I can't imagine any rookie being able to maintain confidence after what Stevens has done to him over the last week or so. It's like undoing all that he has done and it's back to square one.

If/when one day, week, month Nesmith gets his chance again and starts out cold, DON"T blame Nesmith. Almost no one can excel under those circumstances. Especially a rookie.

#IstillbelieveinNesmith
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,748

Post#566 » by return2glory » Wed Mar 3, 2021 6:15 am

Nesmith isn’t ready to help the team win games yet. He was gifted minutes for about a 5 game stretch, where he was playing over 20 minutes a game and he looked horrible as a team.

The last 3 games, Nesmith played a lot of about 5 minutes and we are 3-0. Brad is doing the right thing.

I didn’t expect much from Nesmith this year because he was coming off a big injury last year and didn’t have time to work on his game or conditioning in a shirt off season.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 26,232

Post#567 » by Fencer reregistered » Wed Mar 3, 2021 11:11 am

return2glory wrote:Nesmith isn’t ready to help the team win games yet. He was gifted minutes for about a 5 game stretch, where he was playing over 20 minutes a game and he looked horrible as a team.

The last 3 games, Nesmith played a lot of about 5 minutes and we are 3-0. Brad is doing the right thing.

I didn’t expect much from Nesmith this year because he was coming off a big injury last year and didn’t have time to work on his game or conditioning in a shirt off season.

I'm still trying to figure out how he played 22 minutes in a game without ever getting a shot up.

Especially since he's an energetic player.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
JediMasterRevan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,047

Post#568 » by JediMasterRevan » Wed Mar 3, 2021 11:48 am

return2glory wrote:Nesmith isn’t ready to help the team win games yet. He was gifted minutes for about a 5 game stretch, where he was playing over 20 minutes a game and he looked horrible as a team.

So nesmith not playing is why the team is winning?
BadWolf
General Manager
And1: 3,286

Post#569 » by BadWolf » Wed Mar 3, 2021 12:48 pm

Was there a word from Stevens why he suddenly went from 20 mpg to DNP?
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,748

Post#570 » by return2glory » Wed Mar 3, 2021 1:28 pm

JediMasterRevan wrote:

So nesmith not playing is why the team is winning?

It’s a part of it. Other bench guys getting those minutes have been responding better. When some games come down to a few plays that could decide the game, almost every position counts. Especially for a struggling team that doesn’t have a big margin for victory.

He needs to wait his turn. We haven’t gotten any type of production the last 2 seasons from either one of our 14th picks and that’s on Danny.
Wes-J
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,769

Post#571 » by Wes-J » Wed Mar 3, 2021 2:32 pm

When Smart and Romeo come back the next time we'll see Nesmith is in another jersey.
24istheLAW
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,900

Post#572 » by 24istheLAW » Wed Mar 3, 2021 3:55 pm

Update: minutes of rookies on teams at or above Boston's winning percentage as of last night

Payton Pritchard (1st rd, 26th pick, BOS): 616 mins
Tyrese Maxey (1st rd, 21st pick, PHI): 519 mins
James Wiseman (1st rd, 1st pick, GSW): 495 mins
Aaron Nesmith (1st rd, 14th pick, BOS): 281 mins
RJ Hampton (1st rd, 24th pick, DEN): 220 mins
Jalen Smith (1st rd, 10th pick, PHX): 54 mins
Udoka Azubuike (1st rd, 27th pick, UTA): 49 mins
31to6
RealGM
And1: 28,474

Post#573 » by 31to6 » Wed Mar 3, 2021 4:04 pm

BadWolf wrote:Was there a word from Stevens why he suddenly went from 20 mpg to DNP?

heard it's because he slapped Brad in front of the whole team and called him 'a little bitch'.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,943

Post#574 » by bucknersrevenge » Wed Mar 3, 2021 4:19 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:

I'm still trying to figure out how he played 22 minutes in a game without ever getting a shot up.

I think that as much as anything tell you that he's not ready yet. And you know what? That's okay. He will get more opportunities in the future. His defense is coming around and that's a really nice development so far.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,397

Post#575 » by hugepatsfan » Wed Mar 3, 2021 5:01 pm

24istheLAW wrote:Update: minutes of rookies on teams at or above Boston's winning percentage as of last night

Very interesting stat. I think fans overlook this. It's a delicate balance between developing guys and trying to win. Maxey's numbers off that list are even somewhat inflated due to a unique 3 game stretch where he played 37 minutes/game because COVID absences as opposed to them really wanting to play him a lot.

Pritchard is a very experienced player hence his minutes. Most of the younger rookies are just hard to play without mental lapses that cost you games. So if you're trying to win, that's tough to deal with. Stevens is in a tough spot with that balance.

To me, it goes back to a criticism of Ainge that he's giving Stevens a roster full of young guys to develop but the stars warrant win now mode. You have to build the team in one direction. Either have Stevens focus on development at the cost of wins or Ainge should prioritize vets that can contribute now. Needs to be consistent.
bucknersrevenge
RealGM

Post#576 » by bucknersrevenge » Wed Mar 3, 2021 5:20 pm

24istheLAW wrote:Update: minutes of rookies on teams at or above Boston's winning percentage as of last night

Bane should be on this list but interesting nonetheless.

darrendaye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,987

Post#577 » by darrendaye » Wed Mar 3, 2021 5:36 pm

bucknersrevenge wrote:

Bane should be on this list but interesting nonetheless.

Also, Xavier Tillman...
Thanks Brad for answering my ad,
"Boston Celtics Barbershop, cutters wanted."
But after KP, your C play? You broke my heart Fredo.

ajones9219 wrote:Is handsome Squidward playing?
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#578 » by playa-hater » Wed Mar 3, 2021 5:58 pm

This is so misleading. How many teams have a horrible Bench? Also Boston has injuries to Kemba and Smart with a BIG need at the Wing position. How many teams would play Teague and move our other 6'1 rookie to the SG position? How many other teams with better records had a lottery pick?
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#579 » by playa-hater » Wed Mar 3, 2021 6:04 pm

bucknersrevenge wrote:

I think that as much as anything tell you that he's not ready yet
. And you know what? That's okay. He will get more opportunities in the future. His defense is coming around and that's a really nice development so far.

His not ready yet was still outplaying others (Teague the latest) and was really energetic and productive. But even if you differ on that point, I have the "only way to get ready is to play him". He is after all our much needed lottery pick that was drafted at a position/skill of need. Plus the others are never going to be a part of our future (Teague/Edwards/Waters/Green and possibly add Semi/Grant. The reasons to play him far out weigh any reasons to sit him by a good margin IMO.
bucknersrevenge
RealGM

Post#580 » by bucknersrevenge » Wed Mar 3, 2021 7:19 pm

playa-hater wrote:
bucknersrevenge wrote:

I think that as much as anything tell you that he's not ready yet
. And you know what? That's okay. He will get more opportunities in the future. His defense is coming around and that's a really nice development so far.

His not ready yet was still outplaying others (Teague the latest) and was really energetic and productive. But even if you differ on that point, I have the "only way to get ready is to play him". He is after all our much needed lottery pick that was drafted at a position/skill of need. Plus the others are never going to be a part of our future (Teague/Edwards/Waters/Green and possibly add Semi/Grant. The reasons to play him far out weigh any reasons to sit him by a good margin IMO.

I get your point I think. And when I say that he isn't ready, to clarify, what I mean is that he isn't ready to OWN a permanent place in the rotation yet. Nesmith doesn't have the credibility to suggest that Brad should abandon trying other guys on occasion to see if they can steal productive minutes off the bench. He WILL get minutes again. But Smart will be back soon and Langford after that. Brad was always going to need to play a number of guys. Let alone, we make even a small trade.

Return to Boston Celtics